• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

Gbraga

Just finished Chapter 1 (playtime 6hrs). The settings, soundtrack, voice acting and pacing are great and really shine. Difficulty shouldn't be an issue for most players (I never used the notebook for help and did not know until 3hrs in that the spacebar shows all active clues in the area (which again I never used)). You can, however, miss a number of achievements on a playthrough and not solve certain "side tasks" as you progress (which happened to me on the train and means I will go back for another playthrough) so if you are a completionist careful attention must be taken and every nook and cranny explored before proceeding.

The game has a few problems, most notably pathing for your character who can take strange routes to reach an object and subsequently can get stuck in the environment. This happened twice on my playthrough. This doesn't sound like a major problem, however, once stuck, the game sticks in a loop and you cannot save or carry out any further actions. As a result I had to terminate the game and roll back to my last save/autosave which could be annoying for some people. I recommend you to save every 15-20mins or so just in case. In addition, the game does have some teleporting issues when transferring to cutscenes and some lip-syncing issues later on. None of these issues are truly game breaking but they do detract from an otherwise high quality experience. One word of warning: the ending is extremely abrupt (indicating that an episodic release was not the original intention) and even though the game feels several times that it is about to finish before it does, you may find yourself watching the credits when you least expect it.

Overall I found it to be a really enjoyable experience, great pacing, soundtrack and settings and an interesting story. Looking forward to chapter 2.

I used the notebook a lot, but more because I was interested in what he wrote about the characters and the portraits, there are a lot of interesting stuff there.

Hawkie

I used the notebook a lot, but more because I was interested in what he wrote about the characters and the portraits, there are a lot of interesting stuff there.

Yep, agreed, a lot of backstory to be found there, worth looking at for sure. The way I did things on my first playthrough are clearly not optimal as I went in completely "blind" so to speak.

inm8num2

Was looking into Barrow Hill.. What do you guys feel towards that game? Seems to be loved on Adventure Gamers.

If you like "slideshow" games Barrow Hill is a solid pick. Nice puzzles and creepy atmosphere. Some are put off by the story and 'antagonist', but it's a great suspense/mystery

Joe Molotov

I beat The Raven Ep. 1 last night, took me 5 hours, but I only got Amateur (7 secrets found). Has anyone beat it with Advanced or Master yet, and if so...

Do you get a different ending? Amateur ends with you getting knocked out by the doctor after snooping around in the medical bay, and it seems like a bad ending. I know this is just the first episode, but it just seemed way too abrupt.

Ran into several annoying bugs; my character getting hung on the environment and having to load a previous save, the inventory not wanting to come up, and the camera getting hung on a close-up view of another character. Very disappointing from a technical aspect.

RPGCrazied

Just finished Chapter 1 (playtime 6hrs). The settings, soundtrack, voice acting and pacing are great and really shine. Difficulty shouldn't be an issue for most players (I never used the notebook for help and did not know until 3hrs in that the spacebar shows all active clues in the area (which again I never used)). You can, however, miss a number of achievements on a playthrough and not solve certain "side tasks" as you progress (which happened to me on the train and means I will go back for another playthrough) so if you are a completionist careful attention must be taken and every nook and cranny explored before proceeding.

The game has a few problems, most notably pathing for your character who can take strange routes to reach an object and subsequently can get stuck in the environment. This happened twice on my playthrough. This doesn't sound like a major problem, however, once stuck, the game sticks in a loop and you cannot save or carry out any further actions. As a result I had to terminate the game and roll back to my last save/autosave which could be annoying for some people. I recommend you to save every 15-20mins or so just in case. In addition, the game does have some teleporting issues when transferring to cutscenes and some lip-syncing issues later on. None of these issues are truly game breaking but they do detract from an otherwise high quality experience. One word of warning: the ending is extremely abrupt (indicating that an episodic release was not the original intention) and even though the game feels several times that it is about to finish before it does, you may find yourself watching the credits when you least expect it.

Overall I found it to be a really enjoyable experience, great pacing, soundtrack and settings and an interesting story. Looking forward to chapter 2.

Nice, still waiting on PS3/PSN release and price per episode.

TripleSun

Still only 4 hours into The Raven, but this is the most fun I've had in a PnC in quite a while. I feel like I can smell the fresh breeze in the environments, love the backstory PDF file I received, since I'm a hog on more information with these folks and for once a German translation doesn't have problems with voicing. It seems so amazing and I never click too fast to skip voices, but I do see the glitches in movement sometimes, like when you click on an object and he will walk nowhere for like a minute and THEN get to the object, but other than that, no dislikes about the game.

Also the soundtrack is huge for me, as it isn't really dark considering this is a mystery game and makes my experience more comforting.

If you like "slideshow" games Barrow Hill is a solid pick. Nice puzzles and creepy atmosphere. Some are put off by the story and 'antagonist', but it's a great suspense/mystery

What do you mean "slideshow"?

epmode

I wasn't a huge fan of Book of Unwritten Tales but The Raven is amazing so far. They're really going to have to fuck up the next two chapters for this to not be one of my favorite adventures in the last few years. And it came out of nowhere! (for me, at least)

It's especially nice that you play as such an unusual character. Older main characters are practically unheard of in videogames.

inm8num2

I wasn't a huge fan of Book of Unwritten Tales but The Raven is amazing so far. They're really going to have to fuck up the next two chapters for this to not be one of my favorite adventures in the last few years. And it came out of nowhere! (for me, at least)

Really? I loved that game. So funny, charming, and endearing. Good puzzles and gameplay, too.

It's especially nice that you play as such an unusual character. Older main characters are practically unheard of in videogames.

Yea I always love having atypical playable characters.

Gbraga

The Raven is really great, still didn't finish the first episode today, I'll have to wrap it up tomorrow before starting Shadowrun. Some technical glitches and stuff like that but the game is lovely and I already can't wait for the next chapter in this saga.

Almost 5 hours in, so I must be close to the end. It's funny because I've read it ends suddenly, so every time I see the opportunity for a cliffhanger I'm like SO THAT'S IT? IS IT ENDING NOW? THAT'S IT RIGHT? OH FUCK.

TripleSun

Finished it at 7 hours right now. God, I need episode 2 NOW. Ugh, so amazing. The most engrossing thing I've played lately. Going to be hard to wait until August!

I wasn't a huge fan of Book of Unwritten Tales but The Raven is amazing so far.

I'm not either, but for different reasons. Their customer service is bloody awful - actually it's non-existent. That game crashes on me and I've not been able to finish it. Four weeks and counting for them to actually try and help me out, or even just reply after telling me to send them various files for them to check.

I'd love to get The Raven, but no way I'm risking cash with them unless I eventually get some semblance of a proper reply from them.

JakeD

posted this in the steam thread but people might have missed it:

daedelic is currently offering a night of the rabbit premium "upgrade" to those who already own the game for $5. however they seem to be selling it as a full game, instead of DLC. i was able to purchase it as a gift and send it to a friend (who didn't already own it), who has successfully activated it and played it. so basically they are getting the premium edition of the game for $5, instead of $25. it's obviously a mistake and probably won't work for very long however.

i should add that it also seems to be impossible to actually buy the "upgrade" for yourself, if you already own it, because as of right now it's considered the full game.

Hawkie

posted this in the steam thread but people might have missed it:

daedelic is currently offering a night of the rabbit premium "upgrade" to those who already own the game for $5. however they seem to be selling it as a full game, instead of DLC. i was able to purchase it as a gift and send it to a friend (who didn't already own it), who has successfully activated it and played it. so basically they are getting the premium edition of the game for $5, instead of $25. it's obviously a mistake and probably won't work for very long however.

i should add that it also seems to be impossible to actually buy the "upgrade" for yourself, if you already own it, because as of right now it's considered the full game.

If anyone who owns the original game is willing to do this please PM me (have Paypal). Thanks.

TripleSun

Wow, just for $5 you get all this?

"Includes Original Soundtrack (41 tracks), 8 audio books (160 minutes total running time) and a wonderful game comic by Olga Andriyenko"

That sounds like really amazing for an upgrade package. I still need to buy the whole game sometime soon. :p

TripleSun

Woke up to some interesting news today!

Secret Files: Sam Peters. The girl that met Max in Secret Files 2 will get her own spin-off due for September 27th. Seems it'll be like 10 Euros, so wonder how short of a game it will be.

Still happy that the series isn't dead yet!

RPGCrazied

Still no release date for The Raven on PS3. :(

Can you not buy just episode 1 on PC? I don't want to put all the money down right now.

TripleSun

Hot damn, just beat Cognition: Episode 3.. I swear the emotions are getting too crazy for me. Each episode just makes me more and more anxious. Damn, I love how this series is getting to me so much.

Not sure I'm ready for the finale..

inm8num2

Hot damn, just beat Cognition: Episode 3.. I swear the emotions are getting too crazy for me. Each episode just makes me more and more anxious. Damn, I love how this series is getting to me so much.

Not sure I'm ready for the finale..

Cognition has gotten better and better. I'm glad they made it onto Steam - once released hopefully the game will find the audience it deserves.

TripleSun

Yes, I'm glad they'll finally get the exposure they deserve for such a masterpiece. Although I hate how some people do not buy games if they aren't on Steam, but thankfully they finally made it after being not accepted for so long.

Yes, I'm glad they'll finally get the exposure they deserve for such a masterpiece. Although I hate how some people do not buy games if they aren't on Steam, but thankfully they finally made it after being not accepted for so long.

You of all people saying this after your experience with getting the game on GMG? :p

Mildudon

I know it's not a new game, but everyone should try Dark Seed. It's a psychological horror game.

tumblr_lr4rxlgeOc1qixaxoo1_400.jpg

TripleSun

You of all people saying this after your experience with getting the game on GMG? :p

Got me on that one. There are other ways though, but yeah. That was a mistake buying from them. :p

I just meant more like people lose interest if it isn't on Steam and a lot of good series aren't on Steam. :/

Dec

Got me on that one. There are other ways though, but yeah. That was a mistake buying from them. :p

I just meant more like people lose interest if it isn't on Steam and a lot of good series aren't on Steam. :/

Wasn't that SecuROM that caused the problem? I had a similar issue and just emailed GMG, was fixed within a day.

I agree everything is way easier on Steam, but the three services I will buy from and generally have no issues with are Steam, Amazon, GMG, and GOG. Anything else and I'll likely skip.

Bought Kentucky Road Zero, and just finished act 1.

It's a really interesting story, well written, but a pretty terrible game. Since it's short, I feel that I want to continue with the rest of the acts, but I'm not a fan at all of these adventure games that removes all actual gameplay, and just puts you in task of clicking of the next thing that will make you progress.

TripleSun

Bought Kentucky Road Zero, and just finished act 1.

It's a really interesting story, well written, but a pretty terrible game. Since it's short, I feel that I want to continue with the rest of the acts, but I'm not a fan at all of these adventure games that removes all actual gameplay, and just puts you in task of clicking of the next thing that will make you progress.

I can understand how the lack of gameplay can turn people off. Unrelated though, I liked driving down the different roads in chapter 1 and finding random buildings and the stories that came with them.

I know it's not a new game, but everyone should try Dark Seed. It's a psychological horror game.

tumblr_lr4rxlgeOc1qixaxoo1_400.jpg

I'm impressed with anyone that beat this game without a walkthrough.

So many objectives you have to fulfill at a certain time/day.
Some of the puzzles are a bit... obscure, too.

Neat game, though.
I'm tempted to track down the sequel.

It's actually a pretty good game. I expected far worse after reading about it for so long. Nice music.

Yes, I have been waiting a long time to play Gray Matter ^_^

Dark Seed 2 is an underrated masterpiece.

Did you kill Rita?

I liked the setting and the conceptual idea of both Darkseed games (especially in the first one), they felt Lovecraftian and I always have been fascinated by H. R. Giger's work, but man the ending of Dark Seed 2 was bad, the worst one I have seen after Alter Ego's ending.

I liked the setting and the conceptual idea of both Darkseed games (especially in the first one), they felt Lovecraftian and I always have been fascinated by H. R. Giger's work, but man the ending of Dark Seed 2 was bad, the worst one I have seen after Alter Ego's ending.

No. The ending of DS2 is good.

TripleSun

Aw damn, was gone for the weekend. Guess the Face Noir $10 deal was a weekend thing? Still planning on getting it in the future, but since I have other games I shouldn't buy it at retail price lol.

TripleSun

By the way there is a 75% off sale on Steam for the Deponia games, only $5 each. Amazing games, only up for another 31 hours. Whoever doesn't own them already should pick them up at this price.

Top Bottom