• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

RSLYG

Quick question,

Do I need to play first Syberia to understand/enjoy Syberia 2?
(I have Syberia 2 for PS2 and it actually run perfect on PCSX2)

Boerseun

Banned
Quick question,

It feels like 70% of the story is crammed into the first game and 70% of the gameplay into the second.

Coop

Quick question,

Yes. I'm pretty it was originally supposed to be 1 big game, but they had to make cut in the middle to get the first one out in time.

nny

The final episode of Cognition comes out on Sept. 19. That same day the full season will release on Steam and GOG.

Trailer

I've really enjoyed this game so far and hope it finds the audience it deserves once available on Steam/GOG.

I've been playing Cognition back-to-back (should finish Episode 3 today) and I'm glad to see that I won't have to wait much for the final episode.

The games could be a little less buggy/more polished but it has been a very good ride so far; I'm especially enjoying Episode 3's
change in dynamics playing with two psions instead of Erica alone

Looking forward to seeing how the story will conclude!

TripleSun

Wow.. I've heard people's disappointment with Raven episode 2, but now I understand.. That was so short compared to episode 1 and it was so easy. Didn't give me that amazing feel from episode 1 either. I really hope the final episode will bring that feeling back..

Fox318

I'm just about to play Deponia but why does the high resolution video in Daedalic Entertainment games have this slowdown?

The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav had the same slow performance for me. Is there a fix?

I just finished A New Begining - Final Cut and that didn't have any problems with the cut scenes.

So basically the same thing that has happened to Broken Age?

Broken Age will only be in two parts until the release of the second one, then they will be combined into a full game. So, you'll have the first part through Early Access and once the second part is done you'll continue on to play it. Any time after that you go to play it'll appear as a single game, not "Play Chapter 1," Play Chapter 2."

Looking forward to Cognition on Steam. Too bad it releases right after GTA5 so I'll probably wait for a sale on it. Since it has been in bundles all over the place I'm hoping a discounted season sale comes sooner rather than later.

Tizoc

My purchased PC games not from Steam or gog are a bit of a mess that I REALLY have to tidy up =P

Seeing as I already can play Cognition WITHOUT Steam, I'll prob. make a give away of my Steam code/copy.

Axiom

Syberia is one of those games where, like Avatar, I just don't see why everyone likes it aside from the fact it has some neat visual design.

Maybe it comes across better without the voice acting.

Syberia is one of those games where, like Avatar, I just don't see why everyone likes it aside from the fact it has some neat visual design.

Atmosphere. The writing is pretty well done too, but the star of the show really is the game world they set up. This European themed steampunk society in the winter is (or at least was at the time) a completely new setting that has not been replicated since. It was kind of like the marriage between modern technology and ideas with an older decor and theme that made Rapture in Bioshock so popular.

Roubjon

Atmosphere. The writing is pretty well done too, but the star of the show really is the game world they set up. This European themed steampunk society in the winter is (or at least was at the time) a completely new setting that has not been replicated since. It was kind of like the marriage between modern technology and ideas with an older decor and theme that made Rapture in Bioshock so popular.

Yeah it's absolutely this. I played through it for the first time last January and it blew me away.

jimi_dini

Exactly.

Loved both games. I think I loved the first more. Atmosphere was incredible. Especially the
telephone calls (Kate Walker's original life fading away) and the feeling of absolute loneliness and then finally meeting Hans Voralberg at the end of Syberia 1

They should have released a version for Wii, with both games included on one disc and point + click controls. Or maybe a HD release on Wii U. Would have bought that in an instant. What the hell happened to Syberia 3 and the so called tri-pack release on PS3, that was announced in 2009? :(

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
I see that there is a Focus Home Interactive sale on Steam, including the following adventure games.

There are only a few hours left.

Testament of Sherlock Holmes. 66% Off.

The Sherlock Holmes Collection. 75% Off.

1. Sherlock Holmes - Nemesis
  2. Sherlock Holmes versus Jack the Ripper
  3. Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened - Remastered Edition
  4. Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Mummy
  5. Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Persian Carpet
  6. Sherlock Holmes: The Silver Earring.

The Pendulo Adventure Pack. 75% Off.

1. Runaway: A Road Adventure
  2. Runaway: The Dream of The Turtle
  3. Runaway: A Twist of Fate
  4. The Next BIG Thing
  5. Yesterday

Are the Sherlock Holmes games worth getting? I haven't heard anything about them, except some jokes on the Bombcast.

I bought the Pendulo pack before on a Steam sale, although I must confess I haven't played them yet.

TripleSun

I see that there is a Focus Home Interactive sale on Steam, including the following adventure games.

There are only a few hours left.

Testament of Sherlock Holmes. 66% Off.

The Sherlock Holmes Collection. 75% Off.

1. Sherlock Holmes - Nemesis
  2. Sherlock Holmes versus Jack the Ripper
  3. Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened - Remastered Edition
  4. Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Mummy
  5. Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Persian Carpet
  6. Sherlock Holmes: The Silver Earring.

The Pendulo Adventure Pack. 75% Off.

1. Runaway: A Road Adventure
  2. Runaway: The Dream of The Turtle
  3. Runaway: A Twist of Fate
  4. The Next BIG Thing
  5. Yesterday

Are the Sherlock Holmes games worth getting? I haven't heard anything about them, except some jokes on the Bombcast.

I bought the Pendulo pack before on a Steam sale, although I must confess I haven't played them yet.

Just don't have time for them or keep forgetting to play them? Runaway I admit are still one of my favorite adventure series ever. Oh I miss those times. Need to replay them someday.

Tizoc

Come on, where's hype for Valiant Hearts!
VH_SC_4_Emile_Trenches.jpg
Puzzle Adventure game with the Ubi-art engine, expected to be released by 2014
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=674125

Bonus points for being set during WW1, though I've not played many games set in that period XP

F-Pina

Repeat of the post from this thread just so you guys don't miss it :)

neogaf.jpg

We just launched our campaign on Steam Greenlight plus we launched the trailer AND started taking pre-orders!
Our website is full of stuff with images and characters.
For pre-orders we decided to go with BMT Micro after seeing all the good feedback from fellow gaffers.

Trailer -> http://youtu.be/M1_C90zYv2M
Site and re-order -> http://caseandbot.com/en/
Steam Greenlight -> http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=175472897

And for our Portuguese fans, here is the "Tuga treilar" -> http://youtu.be/hHGO8EpmDRQ

Finally caught up with chapter 2 of Raven. Loving the atmosphere of the game. Chapter 2 was way shorter and significantly easier than chapter 1 though. My one very minor complaint with the game is that I wish they didn't make us examine items 2 or 3 times to get all the relevant information. That really just seems like busy work. And I wish there was some way to get AA working.

nny

gog has released The Legend of Kyrandia; anyone familiar with this one?

Repeat of the post from this thread just so you guys don't miss it :)

neogaf.jpg

We just launched our campaign on Steam Greenlight plus we launched the trailer AND started taking pre-orders!
Our website is full of stuff with images and characters.
For pre-orders we decided to go with BMT Micro after seeing all the good feedback from fellow gaffers.

Trailer -> http://youtu.be/M1_C90zYv2M
Site and re-order -> http://caseandbot.com/en/
Steam Greenlight -> http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=175472897

And for our Portuguese fans, here is the "Tuga treilar" -> http://youtu.be/hHGO8EpmDRQ

Ena, por esta não estava à espera, uma aventura made in Portugal; estou curioso para descobrir mais sobre o robot palhaço ;P

Tizoc

Heard some good things about it, but that was a long time ago. If the game still holds up today I'll def. get it.

Are you looking to get on GOG?

It was a bit of a exhausting collectathon item-wise, and had tons of screens that barely got used.
Could really have done with some streamlining to be honest. It's well thought of by a lot of people though. If you don't mind mapping screens you'll probably have fun with it.

All 4 episodes of Cognition are available on gog.com for $19.99 for the next week. I'm not sure if this is a launch discount or a part of their 5 year anniversary sale.

http://www.gog.com/game/cognition_an_erica_reed_thriller

Hoping it's the former and that it will be matched on Steam next week but if you prefer gog.com then this is a decent deal.

edit - to clarify, you get 3 episodes now and the 4th when it releases on the 19th.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects

It's a point n' click game but feels sorta like the older Kings Quest games, in that there's a lot of wandering around empty screens, solving arbitrary puzzles, with only bits and pieces of plot. It's not bad, just tedious in spots. Don't even attempt the Fireberry maze without a FAQ.

Worth a shot probably, if only to prepare for the release of the second and third games, which are much better. The second (Hand of Fate) is definitely the best of the series. The third has a clever premise and some funny bits (Malcom's Revenge, you play as the antagonist from the first game) but a majority of the game is filled with obnoxious trial-and-error puzzles.

^Do those that bought the season pass already get a gog.com redemption code?

I'm not sure. Maybe if you backed the Kickstarter or bought it directly on their site. The various episodes have been in too many bundles to count so I doubt they'd give you keys from those.

mclem

If nothing else, that means you get the extra enjoyment of deleting Magna Cum Lauda. And you can do it over and over again, too!

Dec

Last chapter of The Raven in a week! I haven't touched it yet, been waiting for the entire thing to be out.

As others have said, the game has its good share of problems, interface and puzzle-wise. Graphics are pretty, but the story is your run-of-the-mill fantasy tale.
I think it was already outdated when it came out, so it aged worse than other adventure games from the same year.
If you wanna try it out, better wait for the two (somewhat better) sequels to come out and be sold as a pack during some GOG sale.

nny

Episode 4 of Cognition is out! Phoenix Online also sent me a Steam key, but the game doesn't seem to be available there yet.

As others have said, the game has its good share of problems, interface and puzzle-wise. Graphics are pretty, but the story is your run-of-the-mill fantasy tale.
I think it was already outdated when it came out, so it aged worse than other adventure games from the same year.
If you wanna try it out, better wait for the two (somewhat better) sequels to come out and be sold as a pack during some GOG sale.

It's a point n' click game but feels sorta like the older Kings Quest games, in that there's a lot of wandering around empty screens, solving arbitrary puzzles, with only bits and pieces of plot. It's not bad, just tedious in spots. Don't even attempt the Fireberry maze without a FAQ.

Worth a shot probably, if only to prepare for the release of the second and third games, which are much better. The second (Hand of Fate) is definitely the best of the series. The third has a clever premise and some funny bits (Malcom's Revenge, you play as the antagonist from the first game) but a majority of the game is filled with obnoxious trial-and-error puzzles.

It was a bit of a exhausting collectathon item-wise, and had tons of screens that barely got used.
Could really have done with some streamlining to be honest. It's well thought of by a lot of people though. If you don't mind mapping screens you'll probably have fun with it.

Thanks; I guess I'll pass.

I played through Kentucky Route Zero the other day. I liked the art style and music and it had a few interesting ideas (like controlling conversations from the NPC side as well). I also appreciated the idea that it's a game more about exploration than your regular point and click adventure. But for me, all the good things about the game were completely drowned out by how pretentious the writing felt. Here's an example of a sermon from the game (I don't feel it's a cherry picked)

Maybe people will find this to be profound but to me it's straight up gibberish. And both acts released so far are full of completely meandering and nonsensical thoughts like this. The game is highly acclaimed so maybe I'm just too dumb to appreciate this being on a higher plane of understanding than I can muster up.

Anyway I'm looking forward to the conclusion of Raven. For some reason I was under the impression that it was out on the same day as GTA5. I'll also probably pick up Cognition when it goes up on Steam later today. For those that have played it, how long are the episodes roughly?

Fady K

For the Sherlock Holmes fans over here I just wanted to update you all on the fact that Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishment will now be releasing on the Playstation 4 as well!

More info:

"Crimes & Punishments, the new investigation game developed on the Unreal Engine 3 by Frogwares studio, is set for release on PC and consoles in early 2014. Previously announced for PC, Xbox 360® and Playstation®3, we can now officially confirm that the game will also be released on PlayStation®4.

We invite you to discover three new screenshots of the game and its crime scenes. Sherlock is up for a tough challenge in Crimes & Punishments, leading numerous original investigations in a variety of environments, with quite a few murders to solve! Today's screenshots illustrate the kinds of situations you can expect you to see when you investigate the many crime scenes of Crimes & Punishments."

Plus a couple of cool new screenshots:

72.jpg

71.jpg

nny

gog has released Flight of the Amazon Queen (it's free); Any fan of the genre should give it a try, it's like a Indiana Jones comedy.

I'll also probably pick up Cognition when it goes up on Steam later today. For those that have played it, how long are the episodes roughly?

I always have a hard time estimating this, but...around 3 hours each? I felt that the 3rd episode was a bit shorter.

Gbraga

So far episode 1 alone has made it one of my most hyped Adventure games, but episode 2 was severely lacking. Can't wait for episode 3!

I secod this. The first episode was worth the purchase, but I really hope they don't wrap it up with another disappointing episode.

Excited to play Cognition as well now that I have my copy on Steam. I'll get a week off next month so I'll probably play them all.

Top Bottom