• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

Card Boy

Banned
Just clocked Gemini Rue, wow. They nailed the whole Snatcher/Blade Runner atomosphere. I was hooked from the get go and am still reeling from the experiance. You can make a movie of this game.

I wish some more games set in the Gemini Rue universe, not nessarily featuring the same characters.

5 out of 5 from me, highly recommended if your into Blade Runner/Snatcher. Best thing i have played this year.

TripleSun

I never got into the Raven, seemed so clunky and I really couldn't connect to much to the characters.

Will have to check out the wadjet eye games, didn't pay enough attention over the last few years, mostly played Daedalic, péndulo and king art games.

Man, we have very different tastes then. ): I loved the character's and the locations were always beautiful.

I can understand if people said they hated the ending, but the game wasn't bad ;_;

Just clocked Gemini Rue, wow. They nailed the whole Snatcher/Blade Runner atomosphere. I was hooked from the get go and am still reeling from the experiance. You can make a movie of this game.

I wish some more games set in the Gemini Rue universe, not nessarily featuring the same characters.

5 out of 5 from me, highly recommended if your into Blade Runner/Snatcher. Best thing i have played this year.

Nice. You just pushed that game to the front of my backlog!

wouwie

Woohoo! Now to see if this is worth the hype.

iKtSGx7Exk0Cw.jpg

Any impressions? Seems like an interesting game.

Dec

Man, we have very different tastes then. ): I loved the character's and the locations were always beautiful.

I can understand if people said they hated the ending, but the game wasn't bad ;_;

Did you ever have issues with screen transitions? I swear I spent 10 minutes trying to come back towards the camera to go back a screen before I turned it off. It sucks cause I love Agatha Christie, I mean you start on a train obviously designed to be similar to Murder on the Orient Express, and on that train is a best selling author obviously supposed to be Agatha Christie. They even have one of the characters quote a fact from her wikipedia page and say something like "I heard she has published more books than anybody after Shakespeare and the Bible.".

Did you ever have issues with screen transitions? I swear I spent 10 minutes trying to come back towards the camera to go back a screen before I turned it off.

The camera issue was really annoying in chapter 3. It was manageable in most other places. If you have a controller hooked up you can switch to controller mode and just use the sticks to walk like you would in a 3rd person game. Makes things much easier.

Dec

The camera issue was really annoying in chapter 3. It was manageable in most other places. If you have a controller hooked up you can switch to controller mode and just use the sticks to walk like you would in a 3rd person game. Makes things much easier.

I never thought of using a controller. That should be really useful, thanks.

wouwie

Lilly Looking Through is nearing release! Gog already has it for pre-order: http://www.gog.com/game/lilly_looking_through

I backed their KickStarter and am very much looking forward to playing it. For those interested, there's a demo available.

Lilly looking through looks really promising. I've been keeping an eye on it for a while now.

Has anyone played Lost Echo by KickBack Studios? I just discovered this on Adventure Gamers where it got a glowing review. It's a mobile/tablet based modern adventure game. I might give this a go. Seems rather interesting.

epmode

I liked the demo from the Kickstarter campaign, except that there was no way to skip animations. Is the full game still Flash or was it ported to Unity or whatever?

Coop

Looks like mystery game x is going to be revealed today. From jane's twitter Geoff keighley will be tweeting about it

Dundar

is that official art of just fanart? St. George's looks gorgeous in that pic.
anyway, GK1 was perfect as it is, but was also the only one of the series which could be remade using modern tools (unity?) AND without going overboard for the budget. Both GK2 and GK3 should be redone completely, since there's no way to touch FMVs and GK3 graphics is beyond saving and changing the 3d camera would need a retooling of the entire project.
that means GK4 should be next! Good news Jane and Activision seem to be in good terms.

epmode

Fuck remakes. Better than nothing, though.

edit: Is it being developed by the same guys who did Moebius/Cognition? That background looks a lot better than their other stuff.

epmode

Same dev confirmed. Ah well, their heart is in the right place, at least. They should do better with a decent budget.

Finally made some time to start up another classic adventure game i never got around to...

I'm thinkin Dreamfall: TLJ!

How did it hold up for those that played it recently? (It's been a while since i finished TLJ proper so hopefully it will stand on it's own)

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

finally came to terms that i hate pc gaming and
i would never touch my steam version of this game.... copped it on my iphone just now. may play it on my ipad or iphone haven't decided. any thoughts?

epmode

Finally made some time to start up another classic adventure game i never got around to...

How did it hold up for those that played it recently? (It's been a while since i finished TLJ proper so hopefully it will stand on it's own)

I think it holds up exceptionally well. The PC port is really good too.

You can easily play it without remembering the intricacies of The Longest Journey but you should try to brush up on character personalities and major plot points since they figure into Dreamfall pretty heavily.

The gameplay is clunky but the story is pretty fantastic. It should hold up as long as you keep in mind that it's an 8 year old game. Good time to play it too because they successfully Kickstarted a sequel to the game a few months ago.

finally came to terms that i hate pc gaming

:(

Tizoc

It's not Point n' Click but it is an adventure-
Brothers a tale of two sons gave me the feels guys, so good and moving.

Any impressions? Seems like an interesting game.

iTEjGcJ5riV1j.gif

Played for an hour, in a bar trying to get this drunk gambling monk off the slot machine. The art and animations are really something to behold, even if lip sync gives away that it’s a foreign game. Might be standard by now, but I like that you can skip/cancel any line of dialogue, and the hint system is quite extensive (even though I haven't used it yet). Voice acting is fantastic. The garbage dealer shown above is hilarious, and I've had a handful of chuckles from other conversations later on.

Robert, the main character, is the most naive, gullible, yet lovable character in quite some time. His curious questions have broken many a NPC down to give out information.

Quite the dark (and adult) humour for a unique fantasy world based on soil.

ibqwRmjMPLyTjG.gif

Card Boy

Banned
GAF where is

Day of the Tentacle
Sam and Max: Hit the Road
Simon the Sorcerer 1/2
Ace Ventura
Duckman
Maniac Mansion
Zak McKracken
The Last Express
Curse of Monkey Island
Escape from Monkey Island
Full Throttle
Grim Fandango
Discworld
Blade Runner

On Steam? I know Simon the Soreceor/Last Express is on iOS/GOG but what about the other stuff. Surely Disney has the rights to all the LucasArts stuff at least?

i would never touch my steam version of this game.... copped it on my iphone just now. may play it on my ipad or iphone haven't decided. any thoughts?

I can't comment on the iPad/iPhone version but from the looks of things they changed the UI abit. Not a fan of point and click gaming or gaming in general on touch devices unless its a TCG. I would only suggest ipad so its easy to click (touch) things.

epmode

Night Dive has been dropping hints about Grim Fandango. Lucasarts might happen.

It's basically free money for Disney but they may feel that it's not worth the effort.

Fjordson

Glad you liked it. Agree with all you said, just an amazing game. Was easily in my top 3 games of the year in 2011.

I even bought the soundtrack :lol it's good.

I replayed it on an iPhone 5. Looked and played really well I thought.

Night Dive has been dropping hints about Grim Fandango. Lucasarts might happen.

It's basically free money for Disney but they may feel that it's not worth the effort.

First i've heard of this, how awesome would that be indeed?

Grim Fandango on Steam would be GODLY! To finally be able to just play the game in all it's glory without all the technical hassle would make my day...

also: just checked some more media on the inner world, looks VERY promising to say the least.

Tizoc

First i've heard of this, how awesome would that be indeed?

Grim Fandango on Steam would be GODLY! To finally be able to just play the game in all it's glory without all the technical hassle would make my day...

also: just checked some more media on the inner world, looks VERY promising to say the least.

If you didn't know by now
this year is Grim Fandango's 15th anniversary

If you didn't know by now
this year is Grim Fandango's 15th anniversary

I didn't know that actually, so yeah that makes it that much more likely for something to happen i suppose.

I shall cautiously board the hype train all the while readying myself for eventual disappointment ;)

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
booted up Gemini Rue last night and the atmosphere just sucked me in. love the aesthetic and sound direction and i'm only a few minutes in.

Morzak

Started Gemini Rue, since the WJE games seem to get high praise. Is there any option to change the resolution of the game? Else I just get a tiny window :/ still made a good impression so far.

epmode

Gemini Rue has some lovely cyberpunk atmosphere but the story and writing aren't nearly up to the same standard. The best-written Wadjet Eye games are the Blackwell games. The first episode is pretty shaky compared to the later releases, though, and I'd recommend playing it without voice acting.

Is there any option to change the resolution of the game? Else I just get a tiny window :/

Yeah, there are limited options for different resolutions but you might have to find the EXE file in the game's install folder.

Gemini Rue has some lovely cyberpunk atmosphere but the story and writing aren't nearly up to the same standard. The best-written Wadjet Eye games are the Blackwell games. The first episode is pretty shaky compared to the later releases, though, and I'd recommend playing it without voice acting.

Yeah, there are limited options for different resolutions but you might have to find the EXE file in the game's install folder.

I loved Gemini Rue, never even noticed any supposed flaws in the writing, maybe i was too engrossed by the awesome atmosphere lol...

Always wanted to give the Blackwell games a try, are they all interconnected or can i skip some and only go for the best?

epmode

I loved Gemini Rue, never even noticed any supposed flaws in the writing, maybe i was too engrossed by the awesome atmosphere lol...

I just don't think any of the characters are interesting is all. I liked the basic plot structure, though, and the ending was neat.

Always wanted to give the Blackwell games a try, are they all interconnected or can i skip some and only go for the best?

You won't be completely lost by skipping ahead but the games are definitely interconnected and it's nice to see how the characters change over time. Multigame character arcs are almost unheard of, in my experience.

And even though the early stuff is rough, each game has something worth playing:

The first game has a surprising soundtrack for the genre. It's pretty electronic, and the Washington Park theme almost sounds like an old Boards of Canada song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtHyBH-uer4

The voice acting in the second game is a huge improvement over the first, thanks to one character in particular. I also love the new music style: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m25FBV4k0IE

The third and fourth games look more like Sierra VGA classics than something on a shoestring budget and the whole production feels more self-assured. I love how low-key this series is.

As someone who didn't play the game at release and tried to go back and play it I completely disagree. It was a pixelated mess that needed remade.

Those chunky pixels are lovely. I don't know what you're on about.

inm8num2

GK1 was one of the last SCI engine games Sierra made (maybe the last?), so even when it came out the graphics were *slightly* outdated. It was never a problem for me, though.

I think the game is still playable, but if a remake helps the brand...cool.

Card Boy

Banned

Same haha

sogood.gif

They are all interconnected, but you won't miss too much by skip a game or two. Play them all, they take like 2.5 - 3.5 hrs each to clock. The guy that does Joeys voice is great.

Same haha

sogood.gif

They are all interconnected, but you won't miss too much by skip a game or two. Play them all, they take like 2.5 - 3.5 hrs each to clock. The guy that does Joeys voice is great.

good, i just hit Steam and the Blackwell Bundle seems to be the thing to grab, contains 4 games, i assume that's all there is right? Hopefully it will be included in the next Steam Sale! :)

Card Boy

Banned
good, i just hit Steam and the Blackwell Bundle seems to be the thing to grab, contains 4 games, i assume that's all there is right? Hopefully it will be included in the next Steam Sale! :)

Yeah for now. There is 5th game coming out either later this year or next year called Blackwell Epiphany.

Just a heads up whenever you start up any Wadjet Eye Game go to c:>Program Files>Steam>Steamapps>Common and go to the game in question and select the winsetup.exe file and boost the Graphics filter to '4x nearest-neighbour filter' like i have done here.

IRtwz.png

Otherwise you will be playing in 640x400 resolution by default.

TripleSun

Anyone got The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav? They have lots of RPGs in the same universe.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/203830

Its got decent reviews and looks amazing.

It's a beautiful game. The atmosphere gets me too. Although, my copy got glitched and I wasn't able to move on.. I should get to telling them about it so they can fix it, but what I played was wonderful and since the (kinda) sequel recently came out, I really need to get on finishing that game.

Card Boy

Banned
It's a beautiful game. The atmosphere gets me too. Although, my copy got glitched and I wasn't able to move on.. I should get to telling them about it so they can fix it, but what I played was wonderful and since the (kinda) sequel recently came out, I really need to get on finishing that game.

I think i will wait and get this for -75% ($20) during a Steam sale.

qYnV.png

Top Bottom