• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

Dec

I think i will wait and get this for -75% ($20) during a Steam sale.

The Dark Eye: Drakensang games are quite good as well. Not P&C, they are traditional third person RPGs with pause and controlling all your members. Though the company went under and the Drakensang name went to Big Point where they used it for Drakensang Online, a Diablo-like MMO. It's actually pretty good aswell.

They are years old now but I think they recently got greenlighted on Steam?

Edit: They did but that's a bad price. I got Drakensang 1, 2 and the expansion for 2 all for $5 at a liquidation store.

Card Boy

Banned
Testament of Sherlock Holmes is 6 bucks in this weeks Humble Bundle. (plus you get some other games haha). Well worth it.

AZMco.png

The Dark Eye: Drakensang games are quite good as well. Not P&C, they are traditional third person RPGs with pause and controlling all your members. Though the company went under and the Drakensang name went to Big Point where they used it for Drakensang Online, a Diablo-like MMO. It's actually pretty good aswell.

They are years old now but I think they recently got greenlighted on Steam?

Edit: They did but that's a bad price. I got Drakensang 1, 2 and the expansion for 2 all for $5 at a liquidation store.

I already got them lol. Haven't played them yet.

Card Boy

Banned
Testament of Sherlock Holmes has 3 camera modes if you press the R button.

First person style (like Tex Murphy)
3rd Person direct control over the shoulder style like The Longest Journey.
and traditional point a click style

edit: Regarding The Dig

Why is Brink an old man at the end when that alien revives both Brink and Maggie out of the Portal?

edit 2: Just finished Primordia, another Wadjet Eye Game classic. 5 out of 5. Surprised it had like 7 alternate endings.

Hawkie

The Wolf Among Us.

I’m a big adventure/point and click fan and having finished episode one I thought I’d put down a few thoughts.

Overall the game is very enjoyable and is a great opening to what should develop into a very classy film noir murder mystery. Graphically the city setting is great as is the premise (thankfully no zombies in sight) which is definitely something different. Events take place 20 years before the comic series so for those that know the canon it should still be very enjoyable and surprising. The voice acting and pacing is top notch (some of the best I’ve seen in any video game) and really brings the story to life. There are a lot of cutscenes but they never really feel out of place and provide context and backstory which is useful to people unaware of Fables prior to this.

What did surprise me, as I knew very little of the game or the comic series, was the amount of swearing and the number of adult themes that are present and how they are handled. However, this only served to add gravitas to the atmosphere and the general ambience of the game, but make no mistake it is definitely a game aimed at more mature audiences.

It’s actually fairly difficult to talk about the actual game too much without giving away parts of the story and my recommendation is to go in as “blind” as possible. Try to avoid reviews (as having looked at few after playing the game I think they give away too much).

On reflection, (although it didn't feel like it at the time) the game is very linear (as The Walking Dead players would probably expect) and I was disappointed that when given the chance to roam around in a small area the items I found never had any use which, to me, is a big oversight on the part of the developers. I had no issues with performance or save game files but in my experience the console pad is the way to go with this game. KBM was a bit janky when I tried it and this is definitely a game you can put on the big screen, sit back and enjoy.

The game looks and runs great, with interesting characters and a gripping storyline. There’s nothing revolutionary here but it is a good iteration on The Walking Dead in most departments and I think that is one of its main strengths. The game is mostly about the story with a few gameplay mechanics. It doesn't try to do too much and it keeps things very clean and simple, executing them with a very high level of polish. That's where the real value of a game like this lies - doing a few things very, very well.

I picked it up for $14 which is a complete steal for this type of quality product and even at the current Steam price it still looks to be well worth it.

TripleSun

So they pushed back Secret Files: Sam Peters until 10/18, huh? Haven't heard like anything on this game, so I hope it is *still* on for release in...4 days. Lol.

Anyone suggest some good mature themed psychosocial thrillers? I really enjoyed I have no mouth and I must scream but I have never really been able to find any similar games.

epmode

Anyone suggest some good mature themed psychosocial thrillers? I really enjoyed I have no mouth and I must scream but I have never really been able to find any similar games.

This game isn't mentioned very often but I'd suggest Overclocked: A History of Violence. I bought it on Gamersgate a few years ago and it really impressed me, aside from the terrible, terrible ending.

I no longer see it on Gamersgate, though, so I'm not sure how you'd get it these days.

inm8num2

Did anybody see what went down with Paul Trowe and Replay Games?

This thread covers most of the happenings: http://www.spacequest.net/index.php/topic/656-paul-trowe-criticism-on-kickstarter-update/

In short Paul Trowe banned Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded's biggest supporters, most of the moderators, and numerous other people from the Replay forums for criticizing his comments on the Spaceventure project.

If Al Lowe doesn't finally separate himself from Paul Trowe then I have to wonder about his judgment, too. Trowe has had numerous public outbursts and displayed a high level of immaturity on these occasions. The guy has burned all bridges and probably killed any future for Replay.

It might be a blessing in disguise, but still it's a pretty sad state of affairs.

mclem

Well, I'm not quite sure what falls exactly under the psychosocial banner, but I'd guess that Sanitarium fits the bill. And if you're willing to delve into text adventures, I'd perhaps nominate Losing Your Grip and Slouching Towards Bedlam. Not quite sure if they're appropriate, though.

This game isn't mentioned very often but I'd suggest Overclocked: A History of Violence. I bought it on Gamersgate a few years ago and it really impressed me, aside from the terrible, terrible ending.

I no longer see it on Gamersgate, though, so I'm not sure how you'd get it these days.
Definitely a great recommendation. I actually just picked this up for 9 bucks on adventuregamers.com shop. Haven't played it in a long time and wanted to give it a crack again.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i love the Fables comics and Telltale's TWD so i'm looking forward to playing AWAU. is it something that would benefit from a big screen/sound system? trying to decide between XBLA or waiting for the Vita version...

Well, I'm not quite sure what falls exactly under the psychosocial banner, but I'd guess that Sanitarium fits the bill. And if you're willing to delve into text adventures, I'd perhaps nominate Losing Your Grip and Slouching Towards Bedlam. Not quite sure if they're appropriate, though.

Ment psychological.. have no idea how psychosocial came out of that.

TripleSun

So you all would recommend me trying out the Blackwell series? It has always looked interesting, but I've never had time whenever my interest had spiked. But I think I might just go to the site and buy them now before I forget about them again lol

inm8num2

So you all would recommend me trying out the Blackwell series? It has always looked interesting, but I've never had time whenever my interest had spiked. But I think I might just go to the site and buy them now before I forget about them again lol

Absolutely, yes. Great retro feel, great characters, good writing, nice puzzles...very enjoyable games.

Terra_Ex

Definitely, it's a great series and one of the few modern point and clicks the recapture the magic of the classics (at least for me). The first game might not *click* with you right away (didn't for me) but stick with it, I was hooked by the end of the first game. Only possible downside is the length, but it's a small team and an ongoing series so it balances out. The whole WadjetEye catalog is worth getting, imo.

H2Yo

I really enjoyed Lost Horizon. It has a button that you can press that flashes all items that can be interacted with for a few seconds.

Card Boy

Banned
I would love a "true" sequel to Sherlock Holmes The Case of the Serrated Scalpel. This style but in much higher resolution.

screenshot_lost_files_of_sherlock_holmes_the_case_of_the_serrated_scalpel_the_2.jpg

the_lost_files_of_sherlock_holmes_05_stor.jpg

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

This game was up there with the LucasArts classics, Its good as. The version you want is The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes which containts both The Case of the Serrated Scalpel and The Case of the Rose Tattoo.

Never found/played the talkie version of The Case of the Serrated Scalpel.

Miguel81

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

This game was up there with the LucasArts classics, Its good as. The version you want is The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes which containts both The Case of the Serrated Scalpel and The Case of the Rose Tattoo.

Never found/played the talkie version of The Case of the Serrated Scalpel.

I've played through the Case of the Rose Tattoo, but the visual style is appalling compared to Serrated Scalpel.

Edit: The CD version of Serrated Scalpel only had voice overs in the intro, but the 3DO version had them throughout the whole game along with video-captured actor portraits--I prefer the DOS version myself.

epmode

Awesome. Machinarium has one of the all time great soundtracks so I'm interested in basically anything these guys are working on.

I really love the art style in this game. I don't know if it would translate to high resolution screens very well but I'd like to see someone try.

Miguel81

I really love the art style in this game. I don't know if it would translate to high resolution screens very well but I'd like to see someone try.

It's such a dreamy version of Victorian London. Lighting with a lot of bloom, and a foggy and rainy atmosphere. It was perfect. Rose Tattoo ruined everything with the cold pre-rendered backgrounds and awkward digitized actors.

If I may plug this as so, I'm sort of involved with the development of this point-and-click Facebook game. It's called Phantasm. It's got a mystery/horror thing going for it and it's still being developed. I don't know when it will be ready though but some of the plot points get posted to the Facebook page occasionally.

szaromir

Banned
Is beating the average in the humble bundle weekly sale worth it for the Sherlock Holmes games? When I was a kid I hated the Sherlock Holmes books since the main character was pulling facts and conclusions out of his ass, but since in the game it's the player who solves mysteries, it might not be so annoying.

Card Boy

Banned
Is beating the average in the humble bundle weekly sale worth it for the Sherlock Holmes games? When I was a kid I hated the Sherlock Holmes books since the main character was pulling facts and conclusions out of his ass, but since in the game it's the player who solves mysteries, it might not be so annoying.

I say go for it, some of the puzzles are Broken Sword levels of hard. The kids faces in this game are creepy as fuck though.

Sherlock Holmes: Serrated Scalpel

I think it would translate quite badly. It "worked" because of the use of the colours and thanks to some well detailed locations, but weird perspectives and faceless characters would get quite awkward in hi-res.

RAIDEN1

From what I played of Gemini Rue's demo it didn't entice me to go purchase the full-game....it cannot hold a torch to the KOJIMA CLASSICS: Snatcher and Policenauts..those 2 games deserve a HD Remake or sequel....but chances of that happening are like ShenMue 3 coming out on Wii U..

Many may disagree....

Card Boy

Banned
Fester Mudd got greenlit. Looks like a good LucasArts inspired game.

D7D5555B549FF3829EF826EC58D2339540F99ACB

From what I played of Gemini Rue's demo it didn't entice me to go purchase the full-game....it cannot hold a torch to the KOJIMA CLASSICS: Snatcher and Policenauts..those 2 games deserve a HD Remake or sequel....but chances of that happening are like ShenMue 3 coming out on Wii U..

Many may disagree....

No many may agree that Gemini Rue is not as good as Snatcher but its still awesome. Can't comment on the demo as i got the full game, so i don't know what you have played. Surprised Konami doesn't released a dirty Sega CD port of Snatcher yet on PC/XBLA/PSN.

Sorry I haven't been around much and updating the thread, not been a great month unfortunately. Been away from the PC for a LONG time also so a LOT to catch up on.
Surfing mostly on my mobile too so updates are hard to do.

Just noticed Face Noir has launched on Steam today, 20% off.

Trailer

TripleSun

Y'all hear about this yet? Cyan (who made Myst, etc)'s new game.

Asking 1.1 million, $60k as of typing this post. It jumped up $30k from the last hour I looked at it, so it'll probably succeed. Apparently this isn't the "total" budget, but part of it. I'm so excited as I'm sure all of us had a lot of fun with Myst games in the past. They were my official entry into this genre and I will always remember it.

New Sci-fi game with the immersiveness that we've come to love them by. Hope you all either pledge or spread the word. I'll probably drop $25 just since I love them. I knew they weren't dead! Hahah.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cyaninc/obduction

TripleSun

Sorry I haven't been around much and updating the thread, not been a great month unfortunately. Been away from the PC for a LONG time also so a LOT to catch up on.
Surfing mostly on my mobile too so updates are hard to do.

Just noticed Face Noir has launched on Steam today, 20% off.

Trailer

By the way, thanks. Didn't know Face Noir had hit Steam until now. :D

I know it came out on GOG a couple of weeks ago but it has finally hit steam!

I have never played this, think now I will get my chance!

TripleSun

I know it came out on GOG a couple of weeks ago but it has finally hit steam!

I have never played this, think now I will get my chance!

Hahah, was just going to post this. So happy about this. Was going to buy it on gog, but now that it is on Steam, let's do it!

inm8num2

I don't think it did go through Greenlight, normally they have a banner if they did.
Steam is an odd beast since they introduced Greenlight.

I'd say that's a big step for Phoenix Online - from getting Cognition greenlit to having a title they're publishing bypass the system altogether.

Definitely, they battled hard to get Cognition on there and their output has been consistent.
Good developer, maybe it's different from a publishing perspective though. The did help do the translations too so that must have went a long way.

szaromir

Banned
I'd say that's a big step for Phoenix Online - from getting Cognition greenlit to having a title they're publishing bypass the system altogether.
Meanwhile WadJet Eye still has to go through Greenlight despite proving themselves as a very high quality indie developer/publisher* over and over again. :( (except Resonance which was crappy, but that's one blip on an otherwise stellar portfolio)

inm8num2

Meanwhile WadJet Eye still has to go through Greenlight despite proving themselves as a very high quality indie developer/publisher* over and over again. :( (except Resonance which was crappy, but that's one blip on an otherwise stellar portfolio)

Yea they had to go through Greenlight for Primordia, but hopefully Steam realized what a mistake that was. Primordia was also greenlit after just a couple weeks, as people overwhelmingly demonstrated that the game belonged on Steam. Wadjet Eye already had their games on Steam and was a trusted and established developer/publisher, after all.

szaromir

Banned
Yea they had to go through Greenlight for Primordia, but hopefully Steam realized what a mistake that was. Primordia was also greenlit after just a couple weeks, as people overwhelmingly demonstrated that the game belonged on Steam. Wadjet Eye already had their games on Steam and was a trusted and established developer/publisher, after all.
Dave Gilbert has contacted Valve about publishing Blackwell Epiphany directly on Steam and did not receive a clear answer from Valve; he doesn't know if he'll have to go through Greenlight again.

Top Bottom