• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

Tizoc

Been meaning to ask about Sam Peters, I wouldn't mind getting it for $10, but would like to hear some more impressions about it.

Zaph

I know it's only just out, but any thoughts on Goodbye Deponia yet?

Kinda had to slug through the first, but if it ends strong, will pick up the second and third.

Hawkie

Plus Secret Files: Sam Peters is up on Steam finally. $10 but they teased it as a short game, so maybe like >5 hours? I'll end up buying it this weekend. One of my favorite PnC series so I'm excited.

http://bit.ly/19VUDsF

Just finished it and clocked in about 3-3.5hrs. Fairly basic puzzle elements and ok for a light afternoon gaming session. Some needless swearing from the female protagonist that just feels completely out of place along with a story that is disappointingly bland and uninspired. There's much better value out there if you are looking for a pnc. Cannot really recommend at full price.

TripleSun

Just finished it and clocked in about 3-3.5hrs. Fairly basic puzzle elements and ok for a light afternoon gaming session. Some needless swearing from the female protagonist along with a story that is disappointingly bland. There's much better value out there if you are looking for a pnc. Cannot really recommend at full price.

Ah, was afraid of that. Might buy it at a lower price, then. ;_; I don't know what I was expecting, because it was barely advertised and said it would explain what happened to Sam Peters, so I should have expected something like a 3 hour conclusion. Oh well.

Hawkie

Ah, was afraid of that. Might buy it at a lower price, then. ;_; I don't know what I was expecting, because it was barely advertised and said it would explain what happened to Sam Peters, so I should have expected something like a 3 hour conclusion. Oh well.

Sorry buddy, I wish I had better news but unfortunately I can't recommend it to anyone at the current price. Maybe Steam has spoiled us too much with fantastic value but with so many other alternatives out there I just think that it would be better for people to look elsewhere and pick this up in a sale or bundle at a later date.

Shahadan

Finished Goodbye Deponia ;_;
I'm so sad I won't get another, really loved it, and it's my kind of humor. Clocked around 10 hours, some hilarious dialogue,situations and hidden things, and a few head scratching puzzles. Nothing unsolvable either.

There were a few cameos and references to other videogames, and even a jab at secret files tunguska that made me go "wtf" :lol: That was random

Gorgeous game too. I think it was easily the best of the three. The ending is already controversial on steam forums, avoid this place as usual. I must admit they were quite ballsy there.

In any case I'll miss Deponia and Rufus. Will probably replay the three games again sometime. Really sad to see these games not sell.
Well worth the price for me.

Usual ranking crap: 3>>2>>>>1

TripleSun

I'm so sad I won't get another, really loved it, and it's my kind of humor. Clocked around 10 hours, some hilarious dialogue,situations and hidden things, and a few head scratching puzzles. Nothing unsolvable either.

There were a few cameos and references to other videogames, and even a jab at secret files tunguska that made me go "wtf" :lol: That was random

Gorgeous game too. I think it was easily the best of the three. The ending is already controversial on steam forums, avoid this place as usual. I must admit they were quite ballsy there.

In any case I'll miss Deponia and Rufus. Will probably replay the three games again sometime. Really sad to see these games not sell.

I'm almost done with Chaos on Deponia and it's been such a trip this sequel. Better than the first, for sure. You're just making me really excited for the final game, but.. it's sad to get so attached to everything to see it end. ;_;

TripleSun

Oh man, these parts are cracking me at the end of Chaos on Deponia. I forgot the /exact/ line but something like this. Not really a spoiler, just a funny line but I'll cover it anyway.
I've just solved the greatest mystery of quantum mechanics, there's a cat flap.
and this one is kind of a spoiler but it was funny when
When you tease Toni at the rebel camp and the game over screen for an RPG comes on, after the monster defeats you.
xD I'm really going to miss this game's humor.

szaromir

Banned
I've started Murder in the Abbey which I bought in an Indie Gala bundle half a year ago. I completed the first chapter and I'm quite pleased so far, though there has been one nonsensical puzzle.

I think you'll be okay but here's a demo to check and be sure:

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/deponia/demo/44352.html

EmptySpace gets between 18-32 fps, but that's at 50% cpu. he tried tinkering with the config.ini but special effects at high and low still show the mouth animations as rather not that fluid. or maybe because it's really like that. anyways, he just started playing point-and-click games and he's got quite the backlog starting with desponia, the longest journey, broken sword, neverhood, and last express. monkey island can wait. he's played p&c games before but after beyond two souls he'd really want to finish a full game or a series.

TripleSun

Okay, just bought the Goodbye Deponia game. I'm sure to bawl my eyes out when it's over, too. I've gotten so attached to these characters and yeah ;_; I'm going to miss Rufus' humor for sure.

Ken

i've never played a point and click game before but deponia looks interesting. is it easy to get stuck in them?

RAIDEN1

Finally downloaded Blade-runner for the PC, as I missed out on Snatcher and Policenauts this'll be the next best thing!

Though currently I am working my way through Toonstruck...still holds up quite well today!

nny

i've never played a point and click game before but deponia looks interesting. is it easy to get stuck in them?

If you've never a P'nC game before...I'd say you'll get stuck a few times; but that's part of the fun. If you hit a wall, leave it and return to it later.

epmode

I really liked the first chapter of The Raven. Besides that, I can't think of anything that really impressed me. The Inner World, for example, looks good but the localization is shaky and the main character is kind of insufferable.

edit: Device 6 (a mobile game) is worth playing too. It's a strange one.

edit edit: Oh, the latest chapter of The Dream Machine and Kentucky Route Zero are interesting as well. I guess some good games came out after all!

TripleSun

You'll definitely get stuck in a PnC game like Deponia. They involve multiple quests at once to handle in whatever order you want and aren't very "hold your hand" like other PnC's, but that's the fun. The story, characters, graphics, and world are all lovable, so you should try it out! I love Deponia games!

Card Boy

Banned

I would suggest both of the Monkey Island Special Edition games. If you get stuck it has a hint system that nudges you in the right direction. Also they are masterpieces and PnC icons.

Fjordson

I would suggest both of the Monkey Island Special Edition games. If you get stuck it has a hint system that nudges you in the right direction. Also they are masterpieces and PnC icons.
This is a good suggestion.

I'll also suggest Gemini Rue. Just a random recommendation, plenty of other great P&C games that have come out in the last few years, but Gemini Rue is definitely one of my favourites. Great visual style, intriguing story, solid difficulty with good puzzles, but also not too abstract or frustrating with the solutions.

TripleSun

Had to slow down on Goodbye Deponia. I already cried and decided this was the best one of the series yet. Man, please don't end..

So, a few weeks back, Ben There Dan That SE and Time Gentleman Please finally came out on gog

http://www.gog.com/game/time_gentlemen_please_ben_there_dan_that

I've been hoping for this for some time, since many years ago I played the freebie version of Ben There Dan That and loved it. I've now completed Ben There Dan That SE and Time Gentleman Please, and both games are absolutely hilarious with great puzzles. I found myself using every item on every other item just for the brilliant comments(there is a LOT of unique dialogue for item usage and item on item inventory usage)

Probably the best point & click games I've played since the golden age.

epmode

I say it all the time yet those games are practically unknown on GAF. The writing is easily up there with something like Lucasarts' Sam and Max.

Miguel81

Finally downloaded Blade-runner for the PC, as I missed out on Snatcher and Policenauts this'll be the next best thing!

Though currently I am working my way through Toonstruck...still holds up quite well today!

Man, I envy you playing through Bladerunner for the first time. I played it in '98 and it blew me away. It has the best atmosphere in any game I've ever played.

Snatcher(Sega CD) is great as well and has an excellent soundtrack.

The Secret Files games are 75% off on Steam this weekend. Been wanting to pick them up for a long time. This is the lowest price they've been in years.

TripleSun

The Secret Files games are 75% off on Steam this weekend. Been wanting to pick them up for a long time. This is the lowest price they've been in years.

If I hadn't already bought them on Steam, I would now. So cheap.. Amazing series, so you should totally buy them all at that price.

TripleSun

Yup picked up the 3 older ones. Didn't bother with the newest one though.

edit - what about Lost Horizon? It's cheap enough and it seems to imply some connection to the Secret Files series?

Lost Horizon is a different adventure. It' /like/ SF, but it isn't part of it. It's really fun, though. I heard a sequel is in the works, which makes me happy. (Even if it will be a 3D adventure)

"Newest" one, do you mean Sam Peters? Yeah, hold off on that one for now.

TripleSun

Man.. I'm going to miss Deponia.. That third game was amazing and that ending..
I personally liked it. Rufus knew time was ticking and he wanted to save Goal by any means necessary, even if Cletus would make it and not him. What an awe inspiring end for our hero. I'm going to miss you buddy, but in the end he was happy with what he did. Goal was safe, his friends/everyone else on Deponia were safe and all. Brings tears to my eye, but what a strong ending. But, I'm really hating how so many people thought of this as a "Mass Effect" ending. Makes me want to punch them.. Because this wasn't a game that advertised you could /change/ the ending. Lol. Just because the main character died in the end, doesn't mean it's a BAD game ending.

Whew, my end of Deponia impressions. Loved the game and will always hold a place in my heart for it. Thank you so much for these years of fun, Daedalic.

Top Bottom