• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

nny

I just noticed that Jack Keane 2 is also on sale on Steam (60%)

By the way, I have a spare Chaos on Deponia Steam key and since they're currently on sale, is anyone interesting in trading Secret Files 3 and Lost Horizon for it? PM if you're interested!

szaromir

Banned
Just played through Murder in the Abbey. A great mystery game, highly recommended. It feels inspired by The Name of the Rose is very well paced.

TripleSun

No voice acting by the looks of it and the UI seems bad.

Yeah, the AdventureGamers review said the lack of voices made the game give less of an impact, but it seems to have hard puzzles and I'm sure it was worth $1, hah. Although, they also say the suffers. So I guess I'll see when I begin it.

nny

Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes (that was released on Steam a few days ago) is currently discounted by 80%.

Card Boy

Banned
Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes (that was released on Steam a few days ago) is currently discounted by 80%.

You mean Edna & Harvey: Harverys New Eyes, which released a year ago. The Breakout is only 10% off and that released afew days ago.

Halloween Point n Click Sale Guide.

80% OFF

75% OFF

50% OFF

40% OFF

25% OFF

10% OFF

If anyone notices any more PnC games in the steam sale, just mention them and I will add them to the list.

Roubjon

I'm definitely buying the Whispered World and Primordia at those prices. I'm actually kind of interested in the Sherlock Holmes games too. After playing Syberia and Still Life for the first time a while back it opened up a world of non-zany point and clicks that I'm super interested in.

So basically, are the Sherlock Holmes games any good?

Just to let everyone know, a point-and-click adventure was Greenlit on Steam today and it's Jacob Jones and the Bigfoot Mystery.

I played the mobile version (it's also on Vita) and I thought it was pretty good. It's the first episode in a series so it only took me a few hours to get through it. It's on the simple side but it has a lot of charm to it. I'm also a sucker for anything involving bigfoot. :p

How is Harvey's new eyes? Looks interesting...

Also, is Whispered World worth it? It looks gorgeous of course, but i heard a LOT of complaints about the gameplay

szaromir

Banned
Also, is Whispered World worth it? It looks gorgeous of course, but i heard a LOT of complaints about the gameplay
It's worth it. Some puzzles are BS, especially difficult before you get a habit of trying using your pet when uncertain, but usually at any given time you have access to only 2-3 at most locations (except the first section of the game which is more open) so it's difficult to get stuck. The story is very heart-warming, definitely something to play through on a day when you're nostalgic about your childhood :)

szaromir

Banned
Whats so bad about Resonance? It seems to have favorable reviews (haven't played it)
Bad story (with terrible ending) and annoying short/long term memory system. It has many neat ideas, but at the same time it also forces you to repeat some fragments over and over until you time your actions to perfection.

epmode

I liked Resonance even though I prefer the other Wadjet Eye games*. The memory stuff was a little clunky in how you'd have to go back to re-grab old memories but the system reminded me of Blackwell's notepad so I couldn't hate it.

Aside from one or two crazy puzzles and a shaky story, I liked it more than most modern adventure games.

*PLAY THE BLACKWELL GAMES, GAF

Bad story (with terrible ending) and annoying short/long term memory system. It has many neat ideas, but at the same time it also forces you to repeat some fragments over and over until you time your actions to perfection.

Fair enough if you didn't care for the story. But - forces you to repeat some fragments? Those parts always seemed like they were possible to get right the first time around (even if I failed most of them at least once!), and they never felt cheap to me.

In fact, once you fail one and it's established that it just rewinds you to a point before you failed, I just had fun with them and tried failing on purpose to see what would happen. For example,
crushing one of your team mates with the big crate in the magnet room
!

szaromir

Banned
Fair enough if you didn't care for the story. But - forces you to repeat some fragments? Those parts always seemed like they were possible to get right the first time around (even if I failed most of them at least once!), and they never felt cheap to me.
I had to repeat this particular scene like 5 or 6 times :(

Resonance-2012-06-19-22-45-33-74.jpg

I had to repeat this particular scene like 5 or 6 times :(

Resonance-2012-06-19-22-45-33-74.jpg

Yeah, me too actually. I can see how that could get frustrating after a while.

Didn't a button pop up allowing you to skip the rope-cutting part once you failed a couple of times? I seem to remember there being one, but I wanted to stick it out and complete it without skipping. It was only juuuust possible in the time limit.

Fjordson

I liked Resonance. Not my favourite Wadjet Eye game, but still pretty good.

Primordia is definitely worth that sale price, though. Good puzzles, good story, great visuals and soundtrack. Excellent game through and through.

Card Boy

Banned
Thinking of these.

T8WB.png

Thoughts?

Oh do i need to play any other games by the Runaway guys or is the Next Big Thing a sequel to anything?

Guys I have a doubt with I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream:

What should I do first? read the book or play the game? what is the better way to discover the story?

inm8num2

Thinking of these.

http://img.acianetmedia.com/i/T8WB.png[/IMGs]

Thoughts?

Oh do i need to play any other games by the Runaway guys or is the Next Big Thing a sequel to anything?[/QUOTE]

TNBT is a standalone game - you're good.

Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes is a sequel, but I haven't played those games yet to know how crucial the first game is (I'm guessing it is).

TWW and IHNMAIMS are must-buys at those prices, too.

[quote="Eternal Gamer, post: 88026043"]Guys I have a doubt with I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream:

What should I do first? read the book or play the game? what is the better way to discover the story?[/QUOTE]

It's actually a short story, and you can read it [URL="http://pub.psi.cc/ihnmaims.txt"]here[/URL] pretty quickly. Reading the story ahead of time can help you prepare mentally for what the game is about, so I say go for it.

Ledsen

Whats so bad about Resonance? It seems to have favorable reviews (haven't played it)

Here's what I wrote when I finished it:

The voice acting is alright, but the characters seemed strangely written, unsympathetic and occasionally stupid. The puzzles are okay most of the time, but towards the end (the dialogue puzzles MY GOD) some are just horrendous and rely on trial and error. The UI is extremely cumbersome and the "short-term memory" mechanic seems like one of those ideas that are good on paper, but ends up needlessly complicating the game and frustrating the player with its clunkiness. It should've been cut early on. Combined with the poorly paced and confusing plot, with important characters seemingly thrown in as an afterthought and contributing very little to the story (
the black Antevorta guy and Japanese girl
), I just didn't enjoy myself at all. Compared to the gorgeous, charming and thoroughly enjoyable Book of Unwritten Tales that I finished recently, this was on the opposite end of the scale.

It's actually a short story, and you can read it here pretty quickly. Reading the story ahead of time can help you prepare mentally for what the game is about, so I say go for it.

Thanks a lot, I read it last night, what a hopeless story, I have read the game has a good and a bad ending, now, I just want to play the game to know how the developers did the good ending.

inm8num2

Thanks a lot, I read it last night, what a hopeless story, I have read the game has a good and a bad ending, now, I just want to play the game to know how the developers did the good ending.

The good ending is essentially doing everything correctly.

The game is buggy and a bit poorly designed in spots such that you can complete a couple playable chapters without taking the "best path", and you end up wasting your time in the endgame.

Quite frankly I'd recommend consulting with a walkthrough as you play each section to verify you've progressed correctly. That way you open yourself up to having the best possibly ending or seeing variations of the non-optimal ending.

So guys, I just finished The Walking Dead Season 1 and the first episode of The Wolf Among Us and I'm curious about where to go from here? Never played anything like this before

Top Bottom