• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

TripleSun

Hammered. Not loading.

Apparently dead.

Slickdeals effect.

Meh, this always happens. Hope when the site is done being broken, the offer will still be up.

Looks like Valve stuffed up.

https://twitter.com/WadjetEyeGames/s...71661057683456

https://twitter.com/WadjetEyeGames/s...74553114173440

EDIT: Its fixed now and only Blackwell Deception is free. I feel sorry Wadjet Eye.

EDIT 2: Pay what you want for I have No Mouth, and I must Scream (Steam key)

Thanks, just got it. Really excited after all the reviews. Going to read the short story tomorrow.

Ledsen

So guys, I just finished The Walking Dead Season 1 and the first episode of The Wolf Among Us and I'm curious about where to go from here? Never played anything like this before

Well, those aren't really point n click adventures, more like interactive stories. There's nothing really like it except David Cage games. If you want something at least vaguely similar (minimal puzzling, cinematic), I'd recommend Dreamfall, but it's a sequel to The Longest Journey which is a real long, hardcore pnc. If you want a modern pnc that still follows the classic formula, I can't recommend Book of Unwritten Tales enough. One of the most charming games I've ever played.

TripleSun

Looks like Blackwell Deception free deal is still up. Guy is working hard to give something free away. Too many assholes trying to grab free keys to sell on other sites..

When you click buy it automatically gives you download mirrors. He's trying to set up a "one steam key per IP" thing, so let's see how that goes.

This whole debacle is crazy. People taking advantage of developer's kindness.

I am downloading Blackwell Deception now, I have been for months on the fence with this series, I am happy with this "offer" I can give it a try finally..

The good ending is essentially doing everything correctly.

The game is buggy and a bit poorly designed in spots such that you can complete a couple playable chapters without taking the "best path", and you end up wasting your time in the endgame.

Quite frankly I'd recommend consulting with a walkthrough as you play each section to verify you've progressed correctly. That way you open yourself up to having the best possibly ending or seeing variations of the non-optimal ending.

Thanks a lot for the tip, then I will check with a guide before saving.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
can someone grab a blackwell key for me? i'm at the office but have always wanted to try that series out.

is it the first game in the series?

Card Boy

Banned
Surprised they gave away Deception instead of the first game to hook people onto the series. I would be kinda of lost if i didn't play the other stuff. Blackwell Epiphany must be very close to release.

epmode

Surprised they gave away Deception instead of the first game to hook people onto the series. I would be kinda of lost if i didn't play the other stuff.

The best place to start is the first game but that one is a lot less impressive than the ones that followed. Even though it's pretty awesome, the second loses a lot if you hadn't already played the first. His only choice was the third or fourth so I guess he went with the one that would lead right into Epiphany.

GAF, I really like the Blackwell games. You should play them.

RAIDEN1

So all in all what is the best Blade-runner-esque point and click adventure available? A great sci-fi adventure is what I am looking for, (though as mentioned I've still to complete toon-struck and get into Blade-runner for the 1st time..) but having recently completed Monkey Island 3...I'm looking for the next big thing in the point and click genre..

inm8num2

So all in all what is the best Blade-runner-esque point and click adventure available? A great sci-fi adventure is what I am looking for, (though as mentioned I've still to complete toon-struck and get into Blade-runner for the 1st time..) but having recently completed Monkey Island 3...I'm looking for the next big thing in the point and click genre..

First thing that comes to mind is Gemini Rue.

RPGCrazied

So guys, I just finished The Walking Dead Season 1 and the first episode of The Wolf Among Us and I'm curious about where to go from here? Never played anything like this before

I guess you could try Back to The Future, Monkey Island. If you want more Telltale goodness.

szaromir

Banned
Beneath a Steel Sky is one of my all time favorites and it's free (you can download it on GOG).

TripleSun

In regard to the Blackwell Halloween free game, Since they couldn't integrate one steam code per IP method, they decided just to give everyone the free download without steam keys and I'm seeing people with entitled comments about "being promised a steam code" and "this is why people stopped caring, you promised us" People come on, this is a FREE game, why the hate lol.

Not you guys, just things I'm seeing on Twitter lol.

But yeah since it's the fourth game in the series, I need to buy the first three now. Good strategy :p Look like fun games with a good story. How's the voice acting?

epmode

Beneath a Steel Sky, Blade Runner and Gemini Rue are as close as it gets. I feel like Gemini Rue is a bit overrated but it's certainly not a bad game.

You can move backward to something like Back to the Future, though I doubt it'll scratch that itch. I don't really think there's a lot out there at the moment that is much like these, barring visual novels perhaps. I'm not super familiar with those. My really bad advice would be like Phoenix Wright or Policenauts. Wolf Among Us kind of reminds me of Gabriel Knight, but I think that's more to do with overall vibe than gameplay.

epmode

You can move backward to something like Back to the Future, though I doubt it'll scratch that itch. I don't really think there's a lot out there at the moment that is much like these, barring visual novels perhaps. I'm not super familiar with those. My really bad advice would be like Phoenix Wright or Policenauts.

Those are some of the best visual novels around so it's not bad advice at all!

Then again, those games don't really do anything with player decisions so maybe that's not what he's looking for. Maybe Heavy Rain and/or Beyond Two Souls?

nny

Do give Beneath a Steel Sky a try (get it free here). If you like it, give Primordia a try.

Ledsen

Beneath a Steel Sky. One of the best pncs ever made. Love love LOVE that game. Also has the best and most evocative video game name ever. Made by Revolution (Broken Sword guys).

Beneath_a_Steel_Sky_Coverart.png

Those are some of the best visual novels around so it's not bad advice at all!

Then again, those games don't really do anything with player decisions so maybe that's not what he's looking for. Maybe Heavy Rain and/or Beyond Two Souls?

Sorry I wasn't more specific. When I think about it, the player decisions are a big thing but not essential. I just loved the story of the games. Absolutely fantastic.

F-Pina

Ok guys, we just announced we are launching our game on the 5th of December.
It is an old school PnC adventure made with lots of love and care. We are trying to promote as much as possible with the money and tools we have and have just started handing out some beta previews.

We are on pre-order with a 20% discount on our own site and on Desura.
And as I said before, we are fighting our way thorough Steam Greenlight. All votes are appreciated :)

Cheers!

Cover_MurderHotelLisbon.jpg

RAIDEN1

Beneath a Steel sky I already played and completed I think when I had it on the Amiga 500..so I wouldn't get that again....for a re-run..

Just goes to show the state of the market today, there are hardly any top-tier mainstream point and click adventures anymore...I'm talking of the calibre of Full Throttle, Monkey Island, Blade runner, Day of the Tentacle, Toon-struck, Beneath a Steel Sky, Snatcher, Policenauts..

As someone said Gemini Rue is about as good as it gets..

mclem

Beneath a Steel sky I already played and completed I think when I had it on the Amiga 500..so I wouldn't get that again....for a re-run..

Just goes to show the state of the market today, there are hardly any top-tier mainstream point and click adventures anymore...I'm talking of the calibre of Full Throttle, Monkey Island, Blade runner, Day of the Tentacle, Toon-struck, Beneath a Steel Sky, Snatcher, Policenauts..

Of course, the irony is that we're on the brink of a renaissance for point and click adventures via Kickstarter. Leisure Suit Larry's remake is out, and on the way - all being well - are Moebius, Gabriel Knight remake, Broken Sword 5, Nelly Cootalot, Broken Age, Dreamfall Chapters, Tesla Effect, SpaceVenture.

On which Kickstartery note, I got a message that Lilly Looking Through keys are going to backers now, expect it to be purchasable soon.

Edit: And it's just appeared on GoG.

Roubjon

Ok guys, we just announced we are launching our game on the 5th of December.
It is an old school PnC adventure made with lots of love and care. We are trying to promote as much as possible with the money and tools we have and have just started handing out some beta previews.

We are on pre-order with a 20% discount on our own site and on Desura.
And as I said before, we are fighting our way thorough Steam Greenlight. All votes are appreciated :)

Cheers!

That's awesome man, I'm looking forward to it. I voted on Greenlight too. Hopefully it can run on my garbage laptop that doesn't have a graphics card.

Dave Gilbert put out a statement about the Blackwell steam code generator thing.

Hi everyone. If you saw a direct link to a Blackwell Deception Steam key generator on a forum or website, that was an error. It was a backend system for the free offer that got exploited and went viral. I have put together a list of all the codes that were generated after the free offer expired last night (over 30,000 of them!) and I have asked Steam to disable them. I am very sorry about this.

Lilly Looking Through launches on Steam in about an hour.

ScreenShotsGreenLight_01.jpg

ScreenShotsGreenLight_03.jpg

Demo is still available via Steam
http://store.steampowered.com/app/250030/
or developers site
http://geetagames.com/downloads/

Game is also available to pre-purchase DRM Free via GOG $8.99
http://www.gog.com/game/lilly_looking_through

Or direct via Humble:

Standard Edition (Cross-platform and DRM-free.) $9.99 http://www.humblebundle.com/store/product/lillylookingthrough/Lsh8Thyg4TSf

Deluxe Edition (Cross-platform and DRM-free. Plus a Steam Key and a PDF of artwork from the game.) $14.99 current pre-order price. Normally $19.99.
http://www.humblebundle.com/store/product/lillylookingthrough_deluxe/Lsh8Thyg4TSf

TripleSun

Lilly Looking Through launches on Steam in about an hour.

ScreenShotsGreenLight_01.jpg

ScreenShotsGreenLight_03.jpg

Demo is still available via Steam
http://store.steampowered.com/app/250030/
or developers site
http://geetagames.com/downloads/

Game is also available to pre-purchase DRM Free via GOG $8.99
http://www.gog.com/game/lilly_looking_through

Or direct via Humble:

Standard Edition (Cross-platform and DRM-free.) $9.99 http://www.humblebundle.com/store/product/lillylookingthrough/Lsh8Thyg4TSf

Deluxe Edition (Cross-platform and DRM-free. Plus a Steam Key and a PDF of artwork from the game.) $14.99 current pre-order price. Normally $19.99.
http://www.humblebundle.com/store/product/lillylookingthrough_deluxe/Lsh8Thyg4TSf

Game looks really beautiful. I'm interested for sure.

epmode

I read that the finished game is ridiculously short. Like, 10 screens short (the demo had 2 screens).

I backed it a while back but I still haven't played it.

TripleSun

Yeah, AdventureGamers review says it's like 2-3 hours for full completion of everything and it's only like 10 screens, but apparently it was a really fun adventure for an indie game.

No wonder it's only like $9-$10 on steam.

nny

Just finished Lilly Looking Through...I have mixed feelings. I don't usually mind if a game's too short or too easy, but the game ended too soon for it to fulfill the expectations I had. This felt more like an episode of a game instead of a full game. I know it's not an expensive title, but still, I was expecting a little bit more game.

Generally, puzzles were too simple (each screen has few interactive elements); an exception were some puzzles that involved color that were a bit too abstract for my taste (and the same puzzle structure was used more than once) - I wasn't sure what I wanted to attain, and remained unsure even after I (happened to) solve them.

I enjoyed the presentation; the character's animation was great. I guess that my wanting more game indicates that Lilly's world is a world worth visiting, just bear in mind it's a quick visit, not a long stay.

Card Boy

Banned
Just clocked Blackwell Deception, the wait for Blackwell Epiphany is going to be HARD. Love this series, its a shame we are only getting one more game. I would pay to Kickstarter a 6th game. Apparently Blackwell Epiphany is going to have over 80 areas and is the largest game yet.

edit: I had to vote for this on Greenlight lol. Bolt Riley, A Reggae Adventure.

Artstyle looks pretty cool

3c9382d7604581b722ea9319dd5e35a8_large.png

b6b165dbada88ff4dfb97a6819214d63_large.jpg

f8f8cbf52f9e843624d50f1de6849c4a_large.jpg

I don't know know why but i found it funny there is 9 white dudes and 1 asian girl working on the game.

nny

Fester Mudd Ep. 1 is out on Steam; I played it on iOS and it's a fun little game; enjoyed it very much.

Are the Ankh games any good? They're on sale.

Top Bottom