• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

inm8num2

Asylum kickstarter is up and looking for $100,666 to kickstart (kickfinish?)

Done by the dude who created Scratches, so the pedigree is certainly good from a horror adventure standpoint.

$15 pledge is limited to 2000 (1869 left at moment) gets you copy of game and steam code. Once that's gone it's up to $20 for same thing.

ASYLUM KICKSTARTER

Whoops, I posted this in the PnC 2012 thread instead of this one. Thanks for covering!

epmode

Scratches really impressed me when I played it about a year ago. Really atmospheric stuff. But you should probably play with a guide since a lot of those puzzles are just out of control.

Some new Syberia 3 pics (thanks to AdventureGamers forums)

lvJTGjU.jpg

zLEn0WF.jpg

cjMKMjp.jpg

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Well, played through Beneath a Steel Sky. Not too bad, but shows its age a bit. Still perfectly enjoyable, and the puzzles aren't too obscure, in my opinion. Plus I got it for free from GOG, so hard to complain too much :p

Berto

Grabbed Cognition Ep. 1 for $4.
Anyone played Trauma? Seems like a First Person view Adventure game:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/98100/
I remember being... interesting. Delving deeply into my recommendations from Steam, this is what I wrote at the time:

"An experimental game with an interesting visual style. It's like a surrealistic Myst built around photographs, yeah... it's weird. It's extremely short (like 30 minutes short) so it's a bit hard to recommend."

Doomshine

I was looking up the system requirements for Cognition, are they really this high?

Recommended System Requirements
Operating System – Windows: XP/Vista/7 Mac: Snow Leopard (10.6.X)
Processor – 2.0 GHz
Memory – 4 GB RAM
Video Card –ATI or NVidia with 1 GB RAM*
Hard disk – 2.5 GB free space

I was hoping to play it on my crappy laptop.

New Sherlock Holmes has been announced, Crimes & Punishment with a new redesigned Holmes and this time using UE3.

press blurb.

Since early 2000, the Sherlock Holmes series of six video games for PC captivated millions of players around the world. In 2012, the famous detective’s latest investigation-The Testament of Sherlock Holmes-abandoned the traditional point & click gameplay and, in a revolution for the series, created a genuine third-person gaming experience befitting consoles and PCs. The title earned praise from players and critics despite some minor technical glitches and brought the famous detective to a wider audience.

The new Sherlock Holmes game Crimes and Punishments will build upon that success with important changes on the graphical side as well as the game experience side.

For the first time ever, Frogwares Studio will abandon their homemade graphics engine. The latest adventures of Sherlock Holmes will be developed on Epic’s Unreal Engine 3, allowing the series to jump far ahead of previous installments in graphical quality. Environments will be more realistic and finely detailed with dynamic lighting and shadows. Choosing this engine also lets the game benefit from many technologies like a powerful animation engine for smooth movement and animation transitions, real-time shaders and a particle system, and advanced post-processing effects.

Unlike the previous adventures of Sherlock Holmes, in Crimes and Punishments you will not be a mere spectator during the detective’s investigation. It is now your turn to truly become Sherlock Holmes and lead your own investigation-actually, your investigations, as 8 captivating cases await you! Murders, disappearances, spectacular thefts, and other investigations will bring you to the cutting edge of the detective genre and these cases will be the bread and butter of this game, written in the pure tradition of Conan Doyle’s novels. Each case offers real freedom to players, who will have to make important moral choices instead of simply enforcing justice by the book. All decisions have an influence in the game and affect your character’s reputation in addition to having realistic, sometimes unexpected, consequences. You will have to bear the weight of your choices, as Crimes and Punishments offers an exciting system of actions/consequences that forces players to think before acting by giving true depth to every decision they make.

In Crimes and Punishments, players will embody a Sherlock Holmes with a brand new look. Developers at Frogwares have abandoned the classic Sherlock Holmes inspired by the 60s Sherlock movies, replacing him with a more modern character perfectly matching the new artistic ambitions of the title.

NEW HOLMES DESIGN

Fjordson

I'm currently playing Beneath a Steel Sky: remastered on my iPhone 5. It's really, really good. They did a great job with the presentation and the touch controls are perfect. Not really a new game, but I definitely recommend it if anyone's been thinking about going back to play it.

And I forgot how good a lot of the writing is. Some very funny dialogue.

Niraj

I'm currently playing Beneath a Steel Sky: remastered on my iPhone 5. It's really, really good. They did a great job with the presentation and the touch controls are perfect. Not really a new game, but I definitely recommend it if anyone's been thinking about going back to play it.

And I forgot how good a lot of the writing is. Some very funny dialogue.

Definitely agree on the writing. There's a lot of funny physical stuff too, like when you (late game spoilers)
enter the courtroom and shrug when you have to defend the guy, and when you set the trap for the dog

Tizoc

Bump~
No one played those Nancy Drew games? Granted they aren't on a big discount but still would like to hear impressions.

Also can we agree that LA Noire is an Adventure game despite the other elements it has?

vocab

If you are interested in a nancy drew game, pick the one that interests you the most. They are pretty hard imo, and are really hard to get into. I beat the haunted carousel, and quit the phantom of Venice because it was incredibly boring and had a mandatory card game. I own most of them, but they are not something I look forward to playing anytime soon.

nny

The Room is on sale on iTunes - It's a point 'n click touch puzzle game, where you have to open several layers of a box, each layer presenting a set of puzzles. I like it a lot.

mclem

Bump~
No one played those Nancy Drew games? Granted they aren't on a big discount but still would like to hear impressions.

Well, I can't give anything particularly precise myself, but my Mum liked the games, and I'm aware Zarf's reviewed one:

http://www.eblong.com/zarf/gamerev/nancydrew.html

I intend to give them a go sometime - I picked up one or two in the Steam sale over Christmas - I like to be open-minded!

Also can we agree that LA Noire is an Adventure game despite the other elements it has?
Absolutely!

szaromir

Banned
I've played the thirst 3 Blackwell games. They're great! Really good writing, nice music, mechanics are interesting - the focus is on progressing through dialogue, not interacting with objects on the screen. The games have nice flow thanks to that without feeling dumbed down.

Resonance was the first Wadjet game I had played and while it had many neat ideas and setpieces, its ending was terrible. I hope Blackwell Deception will provide a satisfying conclusion to this miniseries.

nny

I've played the thirst 3 Blackwell games. They're great! Really good writing, nice music, mechanics are interesting - the focus is on progressing through dialogue, not interacting with objects on the screen. The games have nice flow thanks to that without feeling dumbed down.

Resonance was the first Wadjet game I had played and while it had many neat ideas and setpieces, its ending was terrible. I hope Blackwell Deception will provide a satisfying conclusion to this miniseries.

Decepion is not the conclusion to the series; it's the last of the games that are out, but a new one is being made.

Tizoc

How're the Still Life games? gog.com has both games and it's 'prequel' for $24, which I assume will be $12 come Winter sale or some such.

inm8num2

How're the Still Life games? gog.com has both games and it's 'prequel' for $24, which I assume will be $12 come Winter sale or some such.

The first one is fantastic. A great, dark mystery game with a strong story and good puzzles. Must play for adventure fans.

Haven't played the second, but it had mixed reviews and was generally considered a major step down from the first game.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I love the first game, but couldn't stand the second. I didn't like being stuck in one area for nearly the entire game, and searching for clues I found frustrating and headache inducing.

Post Mortem is okay. It doesn't have anything on Still Life, but I enjoy playing games set in that era, so that was a plus.

Tizoc

Thanks for the feedback gang, I'll grab SL1 during a sale XP.

Also how would you guys rank the Tex Murphy games? I feel like I asked this before but my memory's being fuzzy right now >_>;

Under A Killing Moon/Pandora Directive/Overseer are all great.

Mean Streets/Martian Memorandum...been a long while but I'd imagine they'd be pretty rough. MS will require you to use a parser. There are also shooting minigames which you may find annoying. All you may really end up getting out of them is a bit of backstory going into UAKM, but maybe someone who has played them more recently could comment.

szaromir

Banned
Decepion is not the conclusion to the series; it's the last of the games that are out, but a new one is being made.
Given that cliffhanger I'd hope another one was being made.
I thought the series is done given the releases of other Wadjet Eye games, but it turns out they are only a publisher of sorts for those games (like Resonance, Gemini Rue, Primordia). In a way it makes me hopeful for Blackwell's conclusion since Dave Gilbert was not Resonance's writer.

Is Primordia worth buying?

I thought the series is done given the releases of other Wadjet Eye games, but it turns out they are only a publisher of sorts for those games (like Resonance, Gemini Rue, Primordia). In a way it makes me hopeful for Blackwell's conclusion since Dave Gilbert was not Resonance's publisher.

As I said, it's being made.

IvWN8QE.png

Good, but short. I would still pay $10 for it having played it though.

Yeah, I got it.
I said I'm happy Gilbert wasn't Resonance's writer since Resonance's story implodes towards the end. Blackwell so far has been great, and I hope it stays like that.

Ah, I see, sorry. I misread conclusion to be physical production rather then writing quality.

Fjordson

I'd definitely recommend Primordia. Neat premise, really cool world, and plenty of solid puzzles. Nothing groundbreaking, but I liked it almost as much as Gemini Rue (probably my favourite Wadjet Eye game).

Niraj

I thought the series is done given the releases of other Wadjet Eye games, but it turns out they are only a publisher of sorts for those games (like Resonance, Gemini Rue, Primordia). In a way it makes me hopeful for Blackwell's conclusion since Dave Gilbert was not Resonance's writer.

Personally, Primordia was probably my least favorite Wadjet Eye game. For one, I think it's entirely too short (3-4 hours, depending). The Blackwell games are admittedly short as well, but I think that's somewhat mitigated by the fact that it's episodic, so you can take the series as a whole. I just felt it was too much of a "go here once and never return" sort of deal, where there really isn't a whole lot of exploration. The setting is great, so I would have preferred some more areas. If it was a couple hours longer and fleshed out themes a bit, it would've been better.

I also thought that the story falls a bit flat. It raises some interesting questions about faith and choice, but I don't think that they're necessarily explored deep enough. The various endings really don't add enough variation, and are pretty lame, to be frank. Again, this is disappointing since I felt they did a good job bringing it up at least.

That said, the setting is good, and there are some gameplay refinements (auto note taking was very useful) that were great. I enjoyed most of the characters, and most of the voice acting was decent enough (Abe Goldfarb is very out of place as Crispin, in my opinion though). Overall I'd say it's average at best. I didn't hate it, but I definitely didn't love it, which was a shame, since I was really looking forward to it. Personally, if you're not in a rush to play it, I'd wait for the inevitable appearance in an Indie Royale bundle, since that way you'll likely get some other decent games as well.

Tizoc

Dear Ethser is on sale over at GMG for $1.38:
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/om/en/pc/games/adventure/dear-esther/

Under A Killing Moon/Pandora Directive/Overseer are all great.

Mean Streets/Martian Memorandum...been a long while but I'd imagine they'd be pretty rough. MS will require you to use a parser. There are also shooting minigames which you may find annoying. All you may really end up getting out of them is a bit of backstory going into UAKM, but maybe someone who has played them more recently could comment.

Thanks, will grab those off gog.com~

szaromir

Banned
I'd definitely recommend Primordia. Neat premise, really cool world, and plenty of solid puzzles. Nothing groundbreaking, but I liked it almost as much as Gemini Rue (probably my favourite Wadjet Eye game).
Personally, Primordia was probably my least favorite Wadjet Eye game. For one, I think it's entirely too short (3-4 hours, depending). The Blackwell games are admittedly short as well, but I think that's somewhat mitigated by the fact that it's episodic, so you can take the series as a whole. I just felt it was too much of a "go here once and never return" sort of deal, where there really isn't a whole lot of exploration. The setting is great, so I would have preferred some more areas. If it was a couple hours longer and fleshed out themes a bit, it would've been better.

I also thought that the story falls a bit flat. It raises some interesting questions about faith and choice, but I don't think that they're necessarily explored deep enough. The various endings really don't add enough variation, and are pretty lame, to be frank. Again, this is disappointing since I felt they did a good job bringing it up at least.

That said, the setting is good, and there are some gameplay refinements (auto note taking was very useful) that were great. I enjoyed most of the characters, and most of the voice acting was decent enough (Abe Goldfarb is very out of place as Crispin, in my opinion though). Overall I'd say it's average at best. I didn't hate it, but I definitely didn't love it, which was a shame, since I was really looking forward to it. Personally, if you're not in a rush to play it, I'd wait for the inevitable appearance in an Indie Royale bundle, since that way you'll likely get some other decent games as well.
Thank you for your impressions! Yeah I won't buy it for now, I'll clean up my backlog first a little bit (Gemini Rue is already in there). I think I'll buy it on the developer's website though, Wadjet Eye are doing an amazing job with keeping the pixelated 2D p'n'c subgenre alive, so they deserve the support.

I know there's another thread for this, but I hope all of you fine folks have heard of and will consider pledging to the Kickstarter for Dreamfall Chapters that just went live :)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ongest-journey

Here's the main thread for it - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512316
Yeah I've backed it. It seems to have generated traffic for other kickstarter projects, Asylum (which I also backed) has had its best day today!

Tizoc

Dark Fall 1+2 are on sale for $2 each, like-wise with Aura series:
http://www.dotemu.com/en/download-game/529/dark-fall-the-journal
http://www.dotemu.com/en/download-game/596/dark-fall-2-lights-out

http://www.dotemu.com/en/download-game/491/aura-fate-of-the-ages
http://www.dotemu.com/en/download-game/546/aura-2-the-sacred-rings

I think I'll get Aura 1 and 2, I personally am more of a nfa of PnCs where there are other NPCs, even if the main area to explore is an uninhabited area, island, castle, etc.

Tizoc

Just wanted to ask for impresisons on Aura 1 and 2, all I know about them is that they resemble Myst. They're on sale over at dotemu and am thinking of getting them...

nny

So I've just finished...

Deponia

In a word: fun. I liked the world and its ever-present silliness. I tend to like settings where there are two "world levels", a rich and advanced "above" and a poor and decadent "below", and you have to try to go from the bottom to the top - Beneath a Steel Sky and the manga Gunnm come to mind - so the game automatically had some pull over me. It had it's funny parts, but nothing (or very little) laugh-out-loud funny. With one or other exception the puzzles were accessible and fun to solve. The self-centered main character shtick can get tiresome.

The fact that the game is part of series ended hurting it, though - I was
bummed I didn't get to go to Elysium, as I was really looking forward to seeing it
. The ending therefore wasn't satisfying, but that's more incentive for me to start Chaos on Deponia, I suppose.

But what really hurt the experience the most were some bugs. The game glitched in a specific puzzle and I had to download a savefile from immediately after it. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to progress. In other occasions, a sound file would start looping in the background - and that gets annoying REALLY fast. A bit ahead it would stop, but that nagging sound only made me want to speed through the game. Also, some subtitles escaped the localization team and appeared in German.

In sum, I felt the good parts overshadowed the bad parts. It's a reasonably lengthy game, with a fun world to delve into.

-x-x-x-

Right now I've "salvaged" a Syberia 2 save file (from November 2010 - time flies, I could swear it wasn't that long that I played it last!) and I'm committed to finishing it now (and not in 2016, or something like that). Then I'll resume my adventures in Deponia.

szaromir

Banned
I've just finished Blackwell Deception. Really liked it, although I got stuck multiple times. I'm certainly getting the next game on day one.

Top Bottom