• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black and White Version 2 Japanese |OT| A New Masuda Method

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Just beat Mistralton City Gym. Gym probably set for the rest of the game, although I could swap out Sigilyph for a better Pokemon once Vibrava can learn Fly.

LVL 34 Trapnich
LVL 34 Pignite
LVL 36 Galvantula
LVL 26 Sigilyph
LVL 35 Lucario
LVL 17 Frillish (freshly caught)

Using the Tepig line for once, the team is a bit slower than I'd prefer. And there are so many great Fire types to choose from early on. But I'm managing. I really think the Oshawott line is good in BW2, given the lack of decent water Pokemon early on.

Delio

Just beat Mistralton City Gym. Gym probably set for the rest of the game, although I could swap out Sigilyph for a better Pokemon once Vibrava can learn Fly.

LVL 34 Trapnich
LVL 34 Pignite
LVL 36 Galvantula
LVL 26 Sigilyph
LVL 35 Lucario
LVL 17 Frillish (freshly caught)

Using the Tepig line for once, the team is a bit slower than I'd prefer. And there are so many great Fire types to choose from early on. But I'm managing. I really think the Oshawott line is good in BW2, given the lack of decent water Pokemon early on.

Pfft Marril is early game and with Huge power it's a great pokemon to have.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Pfft Marril is early game and with Huge power it's a great pokemon to have.

Is it? I don't see the route where it is prior to Surf, but I'm probably missing something. At any rate, Azumarill is a fine Pokemon, but you're forced to look for Huge Power ones, doesn't take advantage of Surf right away with its terrible SpAtk, doesn't receive a decent physical STAB for a long time, and doesn't exactly have an inspiring movepool, or Speed stat. I guess it makes a good TM slave though. :p

One of the main reasons I picked Jellicent (aside from being available when I got Surf), is typing and stats. It can easily abuse Surf, making it one of the more powerful Pokemon right off the bat, it can Recover easily, has a good secondary STAB pretty early, and can learn plenty of coverage moves like Energy Ball.

Although I generally prefer quicker Pokemon in a playthrough.. thankfully it's easy to grind with Audinos though.

So, I just looked at the whole sprite sheet. You know who's missing?
Koga.
What's up with that?

Black and White 2 take place a good 7 or so years after Gold and Silver, in which Koga was a newly-promoted Elite Four member. Since the World Tournament is for Gym Leaders and Champions only, Koga didn't get an invite.

Still Pokéathlon and RSE Contests for me. Pokéiga looks really-cool and has the best production values and what-the-fuck shit in it, but it's still pretty lacking in complexity.

Not sure about Pokéathlon yet, but PokéStar has complexity enough to blow contests out of the water. Branching movie plots, 8 initial scenarios to choose from, having to adapt to rental Pokémon, hitting certain tasks which aren't necessarily knocking out; contests don't come near.

I think you're underestimating how much complexity the RSE contests had, actually. There's certainly a lot more variety to PokeWood, but the amount of moves and mid-appraisal stuff in the RSE contests is still rather staggering. Different levels of contest play, varied ways to train your contest stats, whole combo chains that can be devastating if you're lucky enough—it's certainly more complex on a technical level. Pokéiga does look more interesting in terms of content and execution (because the RSE contests simply leave too much to luck more often than not), but it doesn't have the sheer replayability overall.

No matter, since Pokéathlon still gets everything right.

It's okay, Sunkern. At least the Pokeworld's largest seed-processing corporate system extorts you for your wealth of seeds and and, la-ter, seed-based products that help to fuel the global economy.

Maybe.

Do you have to defeat a certain number of trainers to unlock the floor leader in
Black Skyscraper
or does one specific trainer trigger it? Seems like the latter to me, but i'm not sure.

Delio

Is it? I don't see the route where it is prior to Surf, but I'm probably missing something. At any rate, Azumarill is a fine Pokemon, but you're forced to look for Huge Power ones, doesn't take advantage of Surf right away with its terrible SpAtk, doesn't receive a decent physical STAB for a long time, and doesn't exactly have an inspiring movepool, or Speed stat. I guess it makes a good TM slave though. :p

One of the main reasons I picked Jellicent (aside from being available when I got Surf), is typing and stats. It can easily abuse Surf, making it one of the more powerful Pokemon right off the bat, it can Recover easily, has a good secondary STAB pretty early, and can learn plenty of coverage moves like Energy Ball.

Although I generally prefer quicker Pokemon in a playthrough.. thankfully it's easy to grind with Audinos though.

Oh he is on the second route you get to. He gets Aqua tail fairly early now thanks to move pool changes so he can abuse Huge power.

Gregorn

I want to see all the new sprites :(

http://sprites.pokecheck.org/?trainers
Enjoy it, it might be the last Pokemon game we get with sprites.

I got excited when I saw this, but it's probably just for battles with Black/White. =/
144.gif

Ondore

There is the Ice Punch tutor, and in my experience it's easy to get enough shards in a cave behind the Castelia Sewers.

Highwind

Interesting. Maybe it's a language lock? Or maybe it wasn't a European DSi that I had. Only time will tell.

I doubt it, cause someone managed to get their German game working on a Japanese DSi.

With the release of BW2 in the US being close to the EUR release, they will probably do the same as BW1, which is good for me as I hate the European game cases and wouldn't mind waiting for the game.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Oh he is on the second route you get to. He gets Aqua tail fairly early now thanks to move pool changes so he can abuse Huge power.

Cool. Aqua Tail makes him pretty usable now, where before it was a pretty big waste of a good Pokemon.

*looks at sprite sheet*

I want the big Substitute plush doll for myself xD It must be made into a real Mon! Funky scenarios are probably the best, too, seeing that they finally got a kick at other animations.

Why the heck is that minigame the one feature I am looking forward to the most?

It'd be nice if some future Pokemon game incorporated things like that in the standard story, like having to face a battleship or a giant robot, rather than always Pokemon vs Pokemon battles.

Yes! 3 vs 1, your mons vs. a giant thing. A team flying fortress or something.

upandaway

Just noticed that you can now find Ditto with his Dreamworld ability!

http://www.serebii.net/games/hiddenabilityaccess.shtml
I'm still waiting for a Ditto move/ability that allows him to copy 100% of the Pokemon, including IVs and EVs and abilities and stat buffs/debuffs and both current and max HP and the status ailment and even its base stats (as in, crits will ignore stat buffs but will calculate on the transformed Pokemon's base stats), and will work on transformed Pokemon.

Please, do this Gamefreak. I don't care if it's a Ditto evolution.

Wiseblade

I'm still waiting for a Ditto move/ability that allows him to copy 100% of the Pokemon, including IVs and EVs and abilities and stat buffs/debuffs and both current and max HP and the status ailment and even its base stats (as in, crits will ignore stat buffs but will calculate on the transformed Pokemon's base stats), and will work on transformed Pokemon.

Please, do this Gamefreak. I don't care if it's a Ditto evolution.

Apart from HP, this is how Transform/Imposter work. That, and the working on transformed Pokémon thing. And for good reason.

Top Bottom