• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black and White Version 2 Japanese |OT| A New Masuda Method

WAIT! So transform\imposter copies stat-up too???
http://www.smogon.com/bw/abilities/imposter
Description

When a Pokemon with Imposter comes into play, it uses Transform automatically. Moves, ability, stats bar HP, species, EVs bar HP, and stat changes are all copied. Item effects such as Choice Scarf are not copied, but other effects such as Intimidate and Swords Dance are. Imposter fails if the opponent is an Illusion or a Substitute. No effect outside of battle.

Competitive Use

Imposter is a godsend to Ditto, turning it from a gimmick into one of the most powerful revenge killers in the game. By giving Ditto a Choice Scarf, it is guaranteed to outspeed the opponent almost 100% of the time. In a metagame where many Pokemon are checks to themselves, Ditto can easily switch in without fear and start wreaking havoc on the opponent. While Ditto is still left with its subpar HP, the Speed it can obtain, combined with the power it can pick up from some opponents is definitely worth watching out for.

upandaway

Man, this is crazy. This should be like, a fucking bullet point at the back of the box.

Now I just need it to be able to copy Substitutes too and we're golden. (or.. wait, this would cause a stalemate too, dangit)

Tyeforce

So, I just looked at the whole sprite sheet. You know who's missing?
Koga.
What's up with that?
Black and White 2 take place a good 7 or so years after Gold and Silver, in which Koga was a newly-promoted Elite Four member. Since the World Tournament is for Gym Leaders and Champions only, Koga didn't get an invite.
But then why was Giovanni invited? Not only is he no longer a Gym Leader, he's also a wanted criminal! Yet he gets in as a Gym Leader and Blue instead is represented as the Kanto Champion. What's up with that?

I really wish they had included all Elite 4 from past games, too. It sucks that we'll never see updated sprites of Lorelei, Agatha, Sidney, Phoebe, Glacia, and Drake. :(

Kokonoe

Banned
That Wynaut one is great.

MsuuI.png

But then why was Giovanni invited? Not only is he no longer a Gym Leader, he's also a wanted criminal! Yet he gets in as a Gym Leader and Blue instead is represented as the Kanto Champion. What's up with that?

I really wish they had included all Elite 4 from past games, too. It sucks that we'll never see updated sprites of Lorelei, Agatha, Sidney, Phoebe, Glacia, and Drake. :(

Since Blue was the Champion from the first game (and they needed 6 Champions in order to make that tourney work), Giovanni was selected as the representative of the Viridian City Gym. Maybe he reformed in the years between HGSS and BW2; I dunno.

It does suck that we'll never see the Hoenn/Kanto Elite Four in beautiful, animated sprite form though. Next time we see them they'll be made of polygons :<

Unless they're cel shaded. In which case, I'm perfectly fine with that.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Iris
is black? I thought
she's
more of a "dark skinned but not black" anime character.

See that's what I want the 3DS game to look like. I love the Pokedex 3D models, but they're better suited to a Stadium/Snap game much more in my opinion. So if the 3DS game uses the same art style as Bianca does there, I'll be very happy. Plus it would be the first time we've seen official cel-shaded 3D Pokemon, correct?

Besides Battrio, the Pokemon Rumble games are cel-shaded as well.

Well I failed then haha...

Ok, so it would be the first non-arcade and non-weird toy figure cel-shaded Pokemon :p

But yes, same style as Bianca would be great personally. I honestly would be pretty disappointed if they continued to use sprites. I love sprites but I think it's time for a change. Plus sprites in 3D environments tend to have issues, like they do in BW/BW2.

The concept was meant to be that Marlon spends his days up to his waist fishing with nets, meaning his top half gets tanned and his bottom half doesn't.

Ondore

So I managed to complete the end game last night - and let me tell you, there's nothing like staring down a jacked-up dragon and then wiping it out with a single boot to the head.

(Thank you, Scrafty.)

Esura

Banned
Iris
is black? I thought
she's
more of a "dark skinned but not black" anime character.

I assume all dark skinned characters like that are black unless stated otherwise in game or if it is an obvious tan.

BW2 got the best Champion ever!
Moe and black, awesome combination!
:)

A full voxel world, with an adjustable third-person camera, would be my preferred way to bring the Pokemon over-world into 3D. Voxels, in general, would keep that sort of pixel-y look to a certain extent.

Riposte

That generally looks worse than just using sprites. Maybe when they stop looking like a random collection of conjoined geometric shapes with super simple textures on top.

That generally looks worse than just using sprites. Maybe when they stop looking like a random collection of conjoined geometric shapes with super simple textures on top.

I personally love it. Cel shading is my favourite graphical style, and I'd love my favourite franchise to use it. It'd be the best combination of two great things since caramel and chocolate!

23:6 KJV

Banned

Yeah, Pokemon have always looked like garbage in 3D imo.

Same effect as 3D Homer Simpson, the lack of detail works in the 2D plane in a cartoon but falls apart into an ugly mess in 3D.

Man the only thing that annoys me with the Pokemon games is that they don't allow for two save files. I can't play my white version since I don't want to erase all my Pokemon, it sucks, though I guess that is nitpicking.

Either way, I'm looking forward to returning to a iced over Sinnoh. Also, GAF, this baffles me, why in the hell has GameFreak not go all Gold/Silver/Crystal on us and release multiple/all regions in future Pokemon installments? That would be hundreds of hours just beating the game, I just don't understand. Maybe it's an issue with time development or a memory constraint issue, I don't know, it just seems crazy that they wouldn't continue the trend after how well-received it was in Gold/Silver/Crystal.

FSLink

Banned
Man the only thing that annoys me with the Pokemon games is that they don't allow for two save files. I can't play my white version since I don't want to erase all my Pokemon, it sucks, though I guess that is nitpicking.

Either way, I'm looking forward to returning to a iced over Sinnoh. Also, GAF, this baffles me, why in the hell has GameFreak not go all Gold/Silver/Crystal on us and release multiple/all regions in future Pokemon installments? That would be hundreds of hours just beating the game, I just don't understand. Maybe it's an issue with time development or a memory constraint issue, I don't know, it just seems crazy that they wouldn't continue the trend after how well-received it was in Gold/Silver/Crystal.

Why would they do that when they sell so many copies of their games already without doing that? It also makes any of their rereleasing obsolete, that just doesn't make much business sense. It'd also cost a decent amount of dev time unless you want awful level balance again.

Either way, I'm looking forward to returning to a iced over Sinnoh. Also, GAF, this baffles me, why in the hell has GameFreak not go all Gold/Silver/Crystal on our asses and release multiple/all regions in future Pokemon installments? That would be hundreds of hours just beating the game, I just don't understand. Maybe it's an issue with time development or a memory constraint issue, I don't know. It just seems crazy that they wouldn't continue the trend after how well-received it was in Gold/Silver/Crystal.

Mostly because of level scaling. Unless you made the game progress at a snail's pace, by the time you reached the third or so region all of your Pokémon would be at or around Level 100. The only solution to this problem would be to take away your Pokémon after every region, and that sure as Missingno. ain't happening.

Then you have the issue of content. They can either take forever and a day to recreate every region in its full, original form, or have every one be about as busy as Gen II Kanto (which is to say; not very busy at all). I'd rather have one lush, vibrant region than five barren, desolate ones.

Plus, having every region in one game would discourage sales of previous games, and GameFreak can't have that. Do you know how many people still buy and play R/S/E just to experience the otherwise unreachable Hoenn region? It would be a very poor business decision to give access to everything in one game.

In short; it just wouldn't work.

I don't really understand why people keep asking for a game with every region in it, though. I think G/S/C spoiled the collective expectation and made everyone greedy for more.

Mostly because of level scaling. Unless you made the game progress at a snail's pace, by the time you reached the third or so region all of your Pokémon would be at or around Level 100. The only solution to this problem would be to take away your Pokémon after every region, and that sure as Missingno. ain't happening.

Then you have the issue of content. They can either take forever and a day to recreate every region in its full, original form, or have every one be about as busy as Gen II Kanto (which is to say; not very busy at all). I'd rather have one lush, vibrant region than five barren, desolate ones.

Plus, having every region in one game would discourage sales of previous games, and GameFreak can't have that. Do you know how many people still buy and play R/S/E just to experience the otherwise unreachable Hoenn region? It would be a very poor business decision to give access to everything in one game.

In short; it just wouldn't work.

I don't really understand why people keep asking for a game with every region in it, though. I think G/S/C spoiled the collective expectation and made everyone greedy for more.

Yeah they kind of did spoil us, and you're right, it wouldn't make business sense at all. Oh well. As for another question, anyone think that the 3DS version will be 'all-new' Pokemon? I have a feeling that they haven't been putting them on because of such a reason.

Yeah they kind of did spoil us, and you're right, it wouldn't make business sense at all. Oh well. As for another question, anyone think that the 3DS version will be 'all-new' Pokemon? I have a feeling that they haven't been putting them on because of such a reason.

I do think that the next game will be an all-new, fully 3D iteration. Let's check some supporting evidence:

• A new Pokémon game is almost always released in Japan in the fall of a handheld's third year. Next February will mark the beginning of the 3DS's third year on the market.
  • GameFreak is divided into two teams: the "A" team, which makes new installments, and the "B" team, which is in charge of remakes and third versions. Since the "B" team was the one responsible for Black and White 2, it means that the "A" team must have been working on something since the completion of BW in the summer of 2010. What else could it be but Gen VI?
  • The PokéDex 3D contains full 3D models, animations and data for every single Pokémon currently existing. Why would they go to so much trouble just to use these resources for a relatively pointless app?

There you have it. No alibi, no justice, no dreams, no hope!

Top Bottom