• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andrex said:
Sweet.

Is the Royal Unova like the SS Aqua in HG/SS in that once you beat the two sets of trainers, that's it? Or is it always new trainers?
Same trainers but you have to look for them and sometimes you might run into someone that will tell you a story and will make time go faster :|

farnham

Banned
D-Pad said:
It was going to my brother when I got the 3DS. I found the piece (now pieces) that broke off, so I'm gonna try to super glue it back together... Or find a way to keep the screen from wobbling long enough so bro gets some decent playtime in.

Worse come to worst, I'll have to buy another one. I imagine the price will drop again once the 3DS hits the shelves... This one cost me $60 the end of last year, so...

Fake edit - Farnham I might do that! Didn't know such things were available...
ebay em they are pretty cheap

its kinda hard to fix the ds because you have to force some bolts in the plastic hinges and stuff but there are online manuals for that

Red

Suairyu said:
Oh. My. God. The bit just before Victory Road.

The Gates. How each one adds an extra instrument to the marching song. This shit is so goddamn epic. How did Pokémon ever get this good?

I used a max repel to make sure I wasn't interrupted whilst walking through the gates.
So,
did Red and Blue have gates like that? I remember something similar but am not 100% sure.

If so, great nod to older fans.

Izayoi

Banned
Crunched said:
So,
did Red and Blue have gates like that? I remember something similar but am not 100% sure.

If so, great nod to older fans.
They did have the
gates but the whole music thing is new and fucking amazing

The entire tail-end of this game is just so goddamn epic.

ultron87

Had my first loss to an NPC trainer after getting to the city. That level 20 Munna in the Battle Company rolled through my entire party quite convincingly.

Relatedly: Imprison keeps working even if you switch out?

Andrefpvs

D-Pad said:
Couldn't you have just kept the original D-pad?

The problem is actually the replacement case, which makes the D-pad sink in the shell, making playing some games a bit uncomfortable. Oh well, 2 more years until 3DS Lite
, or earlier, please

Magnus

I can't tell who's being sarcastic and who isn't with the posts regarding the screens comparisons between gen 1 and 5.

That's not nearly far enough progress made in 13 years on a visual level. As addicting and appealing as parts of the Pokemon formula are (visuals and gameplay), so much is stagnating too.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Magnus said:
I can't tell who's being sarcastic and who isn't with the posts regarding the screens comparisons between gen 1 and 5.

That's not nearly far enough progress made in 13 years on a visual level. As addicting and appealing as parts of the Pokemon formula are (visuals and gameplay), so much is stagnating too.

It's sprites, what do you want?

A better screencap would have had a triple battle with one of the new move animations in progress.

Busaiku

Suairyu said:
Haha, Victory Road has trainers who provide a challenge. Finally.
Personally, I never really felt any of the trainers were a problem at all in the main game.
Afterwards is another story, but after a bit of time, even they're no longer an issue.

Maybe it's because for the first time, I've had a team that could just about handle any threat.
And also, Whimsicott is unkillable.

Wiseblade

Spr_5b_637.png

Volcarona - #637 (Timid)
HP: 23 - 24
Att: 15 - 16
Def: 28 - 29
SpA: 31
SpD: 23 - 24
Speed: 31

EVs: 6HP, 252 SAtk, 252 Speed

Anyone got a good nickname for this? I can't think of anything.

Salaadin

I just saw that candle ghost dude and hes awesome. Is he good to have around? I saw he appears in that tower that Im almost at. I might replace my fire monkey with him.

Izayoi

Banned
Magnus said:
I'd say they've made a fair amount of progress.

There's only so much you can do with sprites, especially considering there are 649 of them, now fully animated front and back.

vyB6C.png
CpBbd.png
q4dLE.png

To:

BGygx.gif
GUKxg.gif
xXVQa.gif

I mean, where else can they go?

Wiseblade

Salaadin said:
I just saw that candle ghost dude and hes awesome. Is he good to have around? I saw he appears in that tower that Im almost at. I might replace my fire monkey with him.
He's one of the best fire types ever, even without his dream world ability.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
That doesn't make it any less awesome.

BUGS WILL ALWAYS BE SECOND RATE. >:/

They will also always be a tasty snack for my many flying types. ^,^

Wiseblade

I like the name Apollo for my Volcarona, but won't everyone name their one that? I need my Pokémon to be special little snowflakes.

Am I the only person here who thinks that R/B still have the best looking sprites? These ones we have today are fine and look just like cartoons, but the R/B ones had pizazz!

Spr_1b_102.png
over this
Spr_5b_102.png
anyday.

Gravijah

Chet Rippo said:
...except I one-shotted one with Ancient Power from 10 levels below.

It's not his fault Fire is the worst type ever. Though Bug is still amazing.

Small Mailman said:
Am I the only person here who thinks that R/B still have the best looking sprites? These ones we have today are fine and look just like cartoons, but the R/B ones had pizazz!

Spr_1b_102.png
over this
Spr_5b_102.png
anyday.

Yes, but only because it means fat Pikachu and fat Raichu.

Erekiddo

Small Mailman said:

Spr_1b_102.png
over this
Spr_5b_102.png
anyday.

Mad%20Duck.gif

I prefer the new ones.

Izayoi

Banned
Small Mailman said:

Spr_1b_102.png
over this
Spr_5b_102.png
anyday.
QjXWj.gif

I like today's much better. So much more personality.

Also, been grinding on Audinos recently, GAF?

F8dvt.png

I want a Hydreigon with Dark Pulse and Earth Power, but it isn't possible to pass both to one egg. Stupid Dragon egg group is too limited. There isn't a way to get a father that knows both. :mad:

If there is a way to do it I haven't thought of, I'd like to hear it.

Suairyu

Banned
Izayoi said:
I mean, where else can they go?
Higher-resolution back-wards facing Pokémon so your own team doesn't look like blocky shit.

Other than that? Nowhere! (Unless the next next Nintendo handheld gets a vertical resolution upgrade)

Personally, I'm happy with where the sprites are right now. I'm uncertain if I want a change to 3D. The 3DS seems powerful enough to be able to push high-polygon models that will be able to capture the charm of the sprites, though, so maybe it is time for the switch.

edit - Goddamn, Izayoi, that shit is heartbreaking enough without you posting images that gives it a voice.

Andrefpvs

Okay guys, this is eating me inside like a Heatmor would do to a Durant. I swear part of the
Zekrom/Reshiram
battle theme (not really a spoiler since you pretty much already know from the beginning you're fighting them) borrows a lot from Kanto Route 3/4 etc. theme.

Please tell me it's just not me! Here's the links:

Pokémon B/W
Reshiram/Zekrom
Battle Theme
(at 0:31)

Pokémon HG/SS Route 3 Theme (at 0:22)

I couldn't be the only one who thought of this... right? :|

ryan-ts

Small Mailman said:

Spr_1b_102.png
over this
Spr_5b_102.png
anyday.

Pokemon Yellow has by far my favourite sprites, they all looked like Pokemon we now love today and every one of them was in a really cool pose.

Mt Heart Attack said:
Yes.

Spr_b_g1_006.png

Never forget.

We're talking opponent sprites only. Let's keep the ugly out of here.

Wiseblade

UltimateIke said:
I want a Hydreigon with Dark Pulse and Earth Power, but it isn't possible to pass both to one egg. Stupid Dragon egg group is too limited. There isn't a way to get a father that knows both. :mad:

If there is a way to do it I haven't thought of, I'd like to hear it.
Earth Power sucks. Don't use it.

Problem solved.

I just like how R/B made them a little more monstrous looking. They dropped that completely and now I just want to cuddle them all. I shouldn't want to cuddle a Gyrados!

Gravijah

There are two white pixels on White's face and I can't figure out what they are supposed to be. Arghhhhhhh.

Andrefpvs said:
Okay guys, this is eating me inside like a Heatmor would do to a Durant. I swear part of the
Zekrom/Reshiram
battle theme (not really a spoiler since you pretty much already know from the beginning you're fighting them) borrows a lot from Kanto Route 3/4 etc. theme.

Please tell me it's just not me! Here's the links:

Pokémon B/W
Reshiram/Zekrom
Battle Theme
(at 0:31)

Pokémon HG/SS Route 3 Theme (at 0:22)

I couldn't be the only one who thought of this... right? :|

Yeah, it does. Noticed it, too.

Izayoi said:
QjXWj.gif

I like today's much better. So much more personality.

Also, been grinding on Audinos recently, GAF?
Not what happens in my experience. Instead it will use attract and then proceed to takedown and doubleslap you to death, with the occasional secret power that puts you to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom