• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use 2 pokemon as my catchers.

Zebstrika leading with Thunder Wave since he's fast and usually gets the first hit in.
Haxorus with False Swipe(Thank god TM's dont disappear so I can replace it anytime) since his attack stat is crazy.

Might replace Zebstrika though since Thunder Wave doesn't work on ground. Is there a type that is immune to Stun Spore?

Also WTF at Post Game? OHKO moves work 100% of the time for trainers except me.

Chorazin

Nils said:
It's just a shame most people will never get that experience. I doubt even the biggest nerd convention here will have many people with the game present.

It is a damn shame. I hit the Max cap on Polling (198 people) every single time I changed the Poll. Seeing the little Wireless word blinking in the C-Gear meant something super awesome was going to happen, and it usually did. Hell, you could even get summoned FROM your game into someone else's!

Now the C-gear is just a sad reminder of how awesome it could be, so I turn it off most of the time.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Having used the C-Gear like it's intended is there any reason they couldn't have had it as a wifi function letting you connect with your friends?

Anth0ny

ExtraKr1spy said:

Zebstrika leading with Thunder Wave since he's fast and usually gets the first hit in.
Haxorus with False Swipe(Thank god TM's dont disappear so I can replace it anytime) since his attack stat is crazy.

Yep, my level 100 Haxorus with false swipe/swords dance gives the business to wild Pokemon.

I'm so sad that there's no hypnosis TM. Who's good that learns it through leveling up?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Wiseblade said:
I've been using an Absol with the same moveset.

Sir, I think you just gave me a possible use for the shiny Absol I got from GTS Neg. I'd like to have used it competitively but its stats are very very bad.

The Lamp

Okay, Team Plasma music is fantastic.
Last Pokemon out in a gym leader battle music is also spectacular.
And the Pokemon trainer battle music.
And the route music.

Man they went all out for this soundtrack (well as all out as their boops and beeps would want to go in an incremental series installment).

larvi

ExtraKr1spy said:
Might replace Zebstrika though since Thunder Wave doesn't work on ground. Is there a type that is immune to Stun Spore?

No paralysis move will work on a pokemon with the limber trait which is why it's nice to have both a sleep and para move. But even then you can still have problems with pokemon with the shed skin ability.

ExtraKr1spy said:
Well, OHKO moves only work if your level is higher than the opponent, so seeing as how everyone on post-game is higher than you in level...it turns out to be very frustrating.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Seems I came across someone on the bus home today. That's two people in total now. Slow and steady. South London results are 3 White owners, 0 Black.

Chorazin

Nils said:
Having used the C-Gear like it's intended is there any reason they couldn't have had it as a wifi function letting you connect with your friends?

It would work online, but it wouldn't be the same experience. It was incredible locally, but it wouldn't be quite as cool as local.

And, BTW, the video chat over the Xtransceiver is fucking stupid as hell, and you can only do it with registered friends.

Poyunch

I don't have one right now but I always rely on Breloom for catching. Spore + Stun Spore + False Swipe + Swords Dance is a great combination. Only sucky thing is getting your Breloom to have Spore. You can pass down that move if both parents have it, right?

I always just level up my Shroomish to 45 but I don't want to do it this time.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Chorazin said:
It would work online, but it wouldn't be the same experience. It was incredible locally, but it wouldn't be quite as cool as local.

And, BTW, the video chat over the Xtransceiver is fucking stupid as hell, and you can only do it with registered friends.

I'd still rather have a limited experience than no experience at all. The worst part is the game keeps taunting you with the C-Gear and I end up turning it on most of the time even though it's just draining my batteries more.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
In regards to a hunting 'mon, I'm using Pawniard with Thunderwave and False Swipe.

Also that monkey for a starter on the GTS trick really does work. Amazing.

Wiseblade

BGBW said:
Seems I came across someone on the bus home today. That's two people in total now. Slow and steady. South London results are 3 White owners, 0 Black.

Wait, South London?!

o_O

I've got roughly 20 people on my survey. 18 White, 2 Black.

Andrefpvs

My Smeargle is the best catcher Pokémon ever. It can catch ANYTHING, since it has a counter for everything that could end a wild battle. Check it out:

235.gif

Smeargl'em @ Leftovers
Adamant nature (+Atk, -Sp.Atk)

Moves:
False Swipe (always leaves target with at least 1 HP)
Spore (100% chance of inducing sleep to target)
Mean Look (prevents the foes' escape)
Ingrain (prevents foe from ending the battle with moves such as Roar and Whirlwind, also restores HP every turn)

EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed

OT: me <3

This works VERY well. Most opponents get to 1 HP after 1 or 2 False Swipes. Sleep and Freeze are the two status that increase the catch rate the most, so Spore is amazing. Mean Look prevents roaming Pokémon from fleeing and teleporting. Ingrain prevents Smeargl'em from being scared away. In combination with Leftovers, Ingrain keeps Smeargl'em alive forever (have 1 or 2 Hyper Potions ready just in case).

So yeah, just leaving this here in case someone wants to emulate it! It was a bitch to get all those moves on him though.

EDIT: It can't damage Ghosts though. Put them to sleep and throw balls, shouldn't be too hard.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Kintaco said:
This breeding stuff is it's own game! Too bad my selection is limited but it's still fun!
It is pretty fun until you start caring about egg moves and iv's and natures in conjunction. Then it makes you want to stop playing the games entirely or just use action replay.

Roto13

I took a walk and took my DS with me and got three survey results. Are the surveys they only thing tag mode is good for? Because I don't know if they're worth the battery life. :p

Kintaco

FootNinja said:
It is pretty fun until you start caring about egg moves and iv's and natures in conjunction. Then it makes you want to stop playing the games entirely or just use action replay.
I figured something like this would be the case. But I'll enjoy it for now.

farnham

Banned
D-Pad said:
NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!! WHY?! WWHHYYY?!

hCvrym.jpg

Utter BULLSHIT! This is karma for something I did it HAS to be.
god tells you to buy a 3ds ;P

*joke

get a nds phat case and repair it. i broke my nds phat years ago, repaired it and still use it

Wiseblade

Kintaco said:
I figured something like this would be the case. But I'll enjoy it for now.
Don't listen to him! EV training can be really relaxing in its own twisted way. And once you get enough Dittos, Breeding for natures is a snap.

Gravijah

D-Pad said:

http://i.imgur.com/hCvrym.jpg[IMG]

Utter BULLSHIT! This is karma for something I did it HAS to be.[/QUOTE]

Is that a phat? How did you manage to break that?

larvi

Andrefpvs said:
EDIT: It can't damage Ghosts though. Put them to sleep and throw balls, shouldn't be too hard.

It's also going to have trouble on pokemon with vital spirit and insomnia abilities since spore won't work on those.

D-Pad

AkumaHokoru said:
it still works. play it till it dies!

It was going to my brother when I got the 3DS. I found the piece (now pieces) that broke off, so I'm gonna try to super glue it back together... Or find a way to keep the screen from wobbling long enough so bro gets some decent playtime in.

Worse come to worst, I'll have to buy another one. I imagine the price will drop again once the 3DS hits the shelves... This one cost me $60 the end of last year, so...

Fake edit - Farnham I might do that! Didn't know such things were available...

Jinko

ExtraKr1spy said:

False Swipe won't work on ghost so best keep zebsrika for those occasions.

Anyone want to lend me a Thundurus?

My FC is:
4555 9433 2002

Yea if i can borrow your Tornadus afterwards. :)

Andrefpvs

larvi said:
It's also going to have trouble on pokemon with vital spirit and insomnia abilities since spore won't work on those.

Pokémon with those abilities are fairly easy to catch at 1 HP though.

The Lamp

D-Pad said:

hCvrym.jpg

This is Nintendo's way of laughing at you for not having upgraded your original DS model :(

Though I will say I hold a special place in my heart for that clamshell tank.

D-Pad

Gravijah said:
Wow, that sucks.
What sucks is that I could've had a white DS for little cash and what looks like little effort, and nobody told me.
The Lamp said:
This is Nintendo's way of laughing at you for not having upgraded your original DS model :(

Though I will say I hold a special place in my heart for that clamshell tank.
Clamshell >> compact makeup case. :p

Though I was tempted to buy the XL. Glad I held off because now when I get the 3DS it's gonna be like, whoa.

Andrefpvs said:
That sucks man, had the same happen to me not a while ago. Had to replace the entire case. Now my Phat DS is white and its D-pad (lol) now sucks. :(
Couldn't you have just kept the original D-pad?

Magnus

CrazyDude said:
For some reason I am always horrible at making a team. I only use one Pokemon for every battle, beat red by just using a pidgeot. :p

The game kind of reinforces that strategy, or at least, not making a full team of six. You really just need two or three, one of them being your overleveled powerhouse (probably your starter). Works in every Pokemon game I've played, way back since I ravaged 95% of battles throughout all of RBY with my Blastoise.

Gravijah

D-Pad said:
Clamshell >> compact makeup case. :p

DSL is the worst Nintendo handheld ever. Such an ugly piece of shit. DSi and DSP are much superior. :mad:

Edit: Every time I go to type superior, I confuse myself and start thinking of Serperior.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Andrefpvs said:
My Smeargle is the best catcher Pokémon ever. It can catch ANYTHING, since it has a counter for everything that could end a wild battle. Check it out:

235.gif

Smeargl'em @ Leftovers
Adamant nature (+Atk, -Sp.Atk)

Moves:
False Swipe (always leaves target with at least 1 HP)
Spore (100% chance of inducing sleep to target)
Mean Look (prevents the foes' escape)
Ingrain (prevents foe from ending the battle with moves such as Roar and Whirlwind, also restores HP every turn)

EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed

OT: me <3

This works VERY well. Most opponents get to 1 HP after 1 or 2 False Swipes. Sleep and Freeze are the two status that increase the catch rate the most, so Spore is amazing. Mean Look prevents roaming Pokémon from fleeing and teleporting. Ingrain prevents Smeargl'em from being scared away. In combination with Leftovers, Ingrain keeps Smeargl'em alive forever (have 1 or 2 Hyper Potions ready just in case).

So yeah, just leaving this here in case someone wants to emulate it! It was a bitch to get all those moves on him though.

Sixfortyfive gave me a Smeargle with that exact moveset. :) It's a god-tier catcher.

The Lamp

Roto13 said:

For years now it seems that Nintendo (at least in the anime, but also in the games kind of) has been trying to further blur the line between Pokemon and humans, stating that the creator of the universe was a Pokemon, and that Pokemon and humans existed in harmony since creation, etc., and now with that #1 entry, Pokemon can actually come from dead humans?

This is just getting creepy.

List loses major points for no Charmander, though.

Anytime you use a water-type attack (or it rains), it risks dying. Lol.

Teknoman

Roto13 said:

Damn Spoink...things must want to evolve as soon as possible. With the games trying to dive deeper and deeper into the origins of pokemon in general...i'm not sure I want to know how they came to be. Especially with all the cartoonish but creepy ghost types floating around.

Hell Cofagricus EATS people.

Kids always wished Pokemon were real back in the day (and probably still do), but maybe thats not such a good idea :p I wouldnt want to wake up with Lampet hovering over my body. Alot of this stuff sounds like descriptions of demons/monsters from real life folklore.

Wiseblade said:
Don't listen to him! EV training can be really relaxing in its own twisted way. And once you get enough Dittos, Breeding for natures is a snap.

I enjoyed figuring out the ways to speed up the grind.
In Gen IV it was sort of more convenient in a way, because once I was done with EV training I didn't bother levelling up to 100.

Teknoman said:
Kids always wished Pokemon were real back in the day (and probably still do), but maybe thats not such a good idea :p I wouldnt want to wake up with Lampet hovering over my body. Alot of this stuff sounds like descriptions of demons/monsters from real life folklore.

Pokémon does have its roots in the SMT series in more ways than one I guess.

Izayoi

Banned
Guys who were talking about RageCandyBars earlier:

You can get one every Saturday on the Royal Unova if you beat six trainers before time runs out.

Suairyu

Banned
Oh. My. God. The bit just before Victory Road.

The Gates. How each one adds an extra instrument to the marching song. This shit is so goddamn epic. How did Pokémon ever get this good?

I used a max repel to make sure I wasn't interrupted whilst walking through the gates.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
D-Pad said:

hCvrym.jpg

Its a wellknown fact that nintendo has a killswitch in their older systems so that you'll have to buy the new one. Say hello to a 3DS!

While I may be joking, my DS Lite hinge-cracked a week before the DSi came out :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Izayoi said:
Guys who were talking about RageCandyBars earlier:

You can get one every Saturday on the Royal Unova if you beat six trainers before time runs out.

Sweet.

Is the Royal Unova like the SS Aqua in HG/SS in that once you beat the two sets of trainers, that's it? Or is it always new trainers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom