• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Stage On

I don't understand why Black made me such a slave to Nintendo.
Seriously, I never would've thought about dropping money on a strategy guide before...

I'm not even gonna use it much...

They must include hypnotic suggestions to buy more of their stuff or something xd

I don't understand why Black made me such a slave to Nintendo.
Seriously, I never would've thought about dropping money on a strategy guide before...

I'm not even gonna use it much...

At least their strategy guides are pretty decent considering they basically translate the Japanese ones. And all that pretty art!

What if you want to take a break from the internet? Or the computer even? You want to print all of that out? And guides are pretty...=O

Just don't buy guides from Namco fighters. They are evil evil people who will put out a patch for the game a week after the release, making the guide a pretty paperweight.

I have the Yellow, Gold/Silver, and Emerald Nintendo Power guides.

They're how I learned most things about Pokémon since I couldn't rely on the internet in those days. There is a lot a kid can miss, not understand, or take for granted in a game like Pokémon, especially without help.

Stage On

What if you want to take a break from the internet? Or the computer even? You want to print all of that out? And guides are pretty...=O

Or what if you're going somewhere for a long weekend where their is no internet like a cottage or a grandparents house.

Man gotta say while getting ready for Black and White 2 I've been doing a LOT of transfering between gens to get the Pokemon I want and it's a total pain in the butt.

Why does Gen 4 only allow you to transfer 6 per day? And why do you have to catch them again in the Pal park? Such annoying busy work.

And Gen V who's dumb idea was that arrow catching game. Well at least you can transfer more then once per day so that's an improvement

MikeMyers

Just don't buy guides from Namco fighters. They are evil evil people who will put out a patch for the game a week after the release, making the guide a pretty paperweight.

Hey, I actually knew the guy who helped work on the Tekken 5 Strategy Guide. Although, Tekken wasn't really known to have patches at that point...

Hey, I actually knew the guy who helped work on the Tekken 5 Strategy Guide. Although, Tekken wasn't really known to have patches at that point...

That guide was fine. I'm talking about recently. Soul Calibur V guide, thanks a LOT. And this patching thing is kinda a recent thing...

Actually from what I read, the TTT2 guide isn't that hot either but I'll have to see.

backlot

I have the Yellow, Gold/Silver, and Emerald Nintendo Power guides.

They're how I learned most things about Pokémon since I couldn't rely on the internet in those days. There is a lot a kid can miss, not understand, or take for granted in a game like Pokémon, especially without help.

I didn't really have internet back then either. My friend had his mom call the Nintendo hotline to ask for hints.

I haven't played Soul Calibur since.....II? Been a long time.

It's been a roller coaster ride to suck...to being not so sucky but still being ignored.

And Namco really did release a patch online which altered a bunch of the characters moves...things essential for competitive players to know, a week (If that) after the game came out. So...yea. Booo Namco on that one.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I thought the combination of Gen V's Pokémon, setting, and general quality and the absolute doggedness of the Platinum/HGSS teams would make an incredible game.

I didn't know that they'd make one this incredible. I'll likely be doing single player shit in this game until it starts getting warm again next year.

B2/W2 is so good.

MikeMyers

I only have PS3, LA-Kesh. I'll add you tonight.

Tekken 2 was my first PlayStation game and I'm a big fan of the series. T6 kinda bored me though, but look forward to TTT2.

Stage On

Well Ike I grabbed a Growlithe from my copy of Fire red and Transfered it to platinum.

I'm going to bread it so I can nickname the new one after you. The only question now is which team to use it on.

My next goal is to bag an Elekid since I need an electric type on the team I'm building for Black and White 2 to balance it out.

Well Ike I grabbed a Growlithe from my copy of Fire red and Transfered it to platinum.

I'm going to bread it so I can nickname the new one after you. The only question now is which team to use it on.

My next goal is to bag an Elekid since I need an electric type on the team I'm building for Black and White 2 to balance it out.

Yay!

I use Electivire on several of my teams too. Though I've been trying to phase him out for a Guts ability Luxray. Which is hard because even a Jolly Luxray is usually too slow for my tastes. >_<

I just want Arcanine and Luxray to be friends. ;~;

Man God

Non-Canon Member
And yet sadly outclassed by Magnemite.

It is but remember in a game with easy access to elemental punches it can be a great catch all pokemon.

I'm playing B2 so there was only really once choice,
Mareep, who is in both versions. This is maybe the 20th time across all games I've used one.

Kokonoe

Banned
I dislike the Mareep line's speed, but it has the will of tiggerkiddo and it's neat looking so I will use it till the end.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Quick Claw always seems to work in singleplayer so it usually goes on Mareep.

In HG/SS Blue's Gym was hilarious when I walked in there with an Octillery Ampharos and a minus speed Meganium and totally owned in trick room.

MikeMyers

I used Ampharos in my Emerald Randomizer Nuzlocke. Lived all the way to Wallace until his Gyarados outsped me and OHKO'd with Earthquake.

Stage On

Elekid is an extremely early White 2 Exclusive.

Sweet that will make bagging one even easier for me.

And yet sadly outclassed by Magnemite.

I'm already using a Beldum, I don't need two Steel types on my team

Yay!

I use Electivire on several of my teams too. Though I've been trying to phase him out for a Guts ability Luxray. Which is hard because even a Jolly Luxray is usually too slow for my tastes. >_<

I just want Arcanine and Luxray to be friends. ;~;

I have a Luxray on my team in Platnium, once my Growlithe grows up they can hang out together

I dislike the Mareep line's speed, but it has the will of tiggerkiddo and it's neat looking so I will use it till the end.

Never noticed that...maybe I just had him overleveled so I never got a chance to see. The Mareep line always seemed speedier compared to Shinx's line...all electric Pokemon should be fast!

Kokonoe

Banned
Never noticed that...maybe I just had him overleveled so I never got a chance to see. The Mareep line always seemed speedier compared to Shinx's line...all electric Pokemon should be fast!

Yeah, the Shinx line actually has more speed than the Mareep one. Although you might have gotten a speed natured mareep, but I just load them up on carbos and boost that speed up. At least Mareep line has that cool ability that paralyzes the opponent on physical contact. Overleveling will do that too. I agree about the last part as well.

Stage On

Ampharos has really good coverage too considering the moves it can learn while leveling up.

Power gem and Signal beam came in real handy

Yeah, the Shinx line actually has more speed than the Mareep one. Although you might have gotten a speed natured mareep, but I just load them up on carbos and boost that speed up. At least Mareep line has that cool ability that paralyzes the opponent on physical contact. Overleveling will do that too. I agree about the last part as well.

Interesting...I learn stuff everyday.

Ampharos has really good coverage too considering the moves it can learn while leveling up.

Power gem and Signal beam came in real handy

This is also why I love Amphy a bit more.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I love them all so much but I'll do a most used to give an idea:

Gen 1: Tie between Raichu and Jolteon. Used them both a ton.
Gen 2: Ampharos, Lanturn.
Gen 3: Manectric by default. He sort of stinks in gen 3 but is much better now. Sort of a poor man's Houndoom.
Gen 4:Magnezone, Electrivire, Luxray.
Gen 5: Complete tie between all of them. I used them all exactly once and like them all.

MikeMyers

I love them all so much but I'll do a most used to give an idea:

Gen 1: Tie between Raichu and Jolteon. Used them both a ton.
Gen 2: Ampharos, Lanturn.
Gen 3: Manectric by default. He sort of stinks in gen 3 but is much better now. Sort of a poor man's Houndoom.
Gen 4:Magnezone, Electrivire, Luxray.
Gen 5: Complete tie between all of them. I used them all exactly once and like them all.

I like Houndoom too, I just wish I didn't have to wait to Kanto to get him in GSC.

When we listed favorite types before, I said Raichu for best electric-type overall, but right now I think it is probably Luxray. I've been spending a lot of time working on him. Plus, I'm really liking the lion/tiger dynamic he has with Arcanine.

4QaMX.png

Top Bottom