• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Emitan

t4n4o.gif

What is it?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Ok thinking of more hacked/broken Pokemon.

Was thinking of Putting Contrary and doing a move like Draco Metoer all day.

Who should I put this on? I was thinking Latios.

MikeMyers

Ok thinking of more hacked/broken Pokemon.

Was thinking of Putting Contrary and doing a move like Draco Metoer all day.

Who should I put this on? I was thinking Latios.

Salamence. Mainly because he has Fire Blast for Steel and Earthquake for Heatran. Or alternativly you could just hack those two moves onto Latios.

vid

Yesterday I decided to buy a Pokemon theme deck so I could play a few casual games with a friend of mine at the tabletop gaming store where I used to work on his quiet nights.

I then decided to buy a tin of four boosters, and then two more boosters, and then tried to play the (pretty broken) online version of the TCG.

...I've made a huge mistake.

Intimidate lowers Physical Attack
No ability lowers Special Attack

Burn lowers Physical Attack
No status lowers Special Attack

Because Physical Attacks are the best attacks in the game. Bring up the quality of Special Attacks, and you'll see better checks besides Chansey and Blissey.

Zeroth

Ok, but those are susceptible to stuff like Iron Barbs, Static/Flame Boy/Poison Point/Cute Charm, and whatever else.
Powerful Special moves will let you off just fine.

GameFreak still hasn't updated the game itself to the Physical/Special split. For example, Confusion's damage is based on the Pokemon's attack only, and we have several abilities (like Justified) that instead of affecting one's strongest attacking stat, only affect Attack, which makes it useless to use Special movesets in pokemons with these abilities.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
As soon as 4th Generation rolled around and the typing split between physical and special happened, physical became really dominate. You can see how dominate it is because of how many things try to hinder it (Intimidate, Iron Barbs, Cursed Body, Static, Burn status), but they just keep rolling on. So many things receive Earthquake and Close Combat and the most powerful special moves tend to be inaccurate and a bit easier to sponge by typing.

There are of course exceptions and stuff like Dragon Gem Draco Meteor is as terrifying as anything in the game and Rain teams often blast through opponents relying heavily on the Special side.

For those of you wondering where my Trainer's Log series has been for the past 3 days (and I know you exist; stop giggling), it's on a short hiatus while I prepare for midterms. Hopefully they'll be back on the daily schedule by Thursday at the latest.

Top Bottom