• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Z0tlTJfSOkOM0z9dPh6tiQ2.gif

osqA72U4VkmqqqrAnw96Ew2.gif

I can't wait to see what they do with battle animations in G6.

Hopefully not just the same stuff we'd see in Colosseum/XD/PBR *knock on wood*

I think I like the Gen 3 Surf animation the best. I haven't played the first gen for years but I saw the animation for it just now and it's all coming back to me like it was yesterday...

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Hey guys RMT sub4sub +karma pls
Politoed @Leftovers
Drizzle
200 Hp/56 Def/252 SpA
Modest
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Hidden Power Grass
-Hypnosis
Jolteon @Leftovers
Volt Absorb
6 Def/252 SpA/252 Spe
-Thunder
-VoltSwitch
-Hidden Power Ice
-Rain Dance
Kingdra @Life Orb
Swift Swim
36 Hp/252 SpA/220 SPe
-Rain Dance
-Hydro Pump
-Dragon Pulse
-Signal Beam
Scizor @Muscle Band
Technician
248 Hp/252 Atk/10 SpD
-Sword Dance
-Bullet Punch
-Pursuit
-Super Power
Starmie @Life Orb
Natural Cure
252 SpA/6 SpD/252 Spe
-Hydro Pump
-Thunder
-Ice Beam
-Rapid Spin
Tornadus @Flying Gem
Prankster
252 SpA/6 SpD/252 Spe
-U-Turn
-Hurricane
-Taunt
-Tailwind

Also I've never used this before.

Also I'm using this team mainly against a poison team.

Also it's a single battle if that matters

So what I was thinking of doing was putting Tornadus first, Taunt then U-Turn into Politoed and be a regular ass Rain Team.

And if that doesn't work for whatever reason I'll spin to get rid of the Toxic Spikes.

Who gives a FUCK what Smogon thinks?

Get rid of Dragon Pulse and give Kingdra Draco Meteor. The S.Attack drop doesn't matter as much in the rain. Doing this requires that you have a spinner still alive at all times though, or at least have the field clean.

EDIT: I'm mainly used to running Mixed Kingdra, so if someone knows better than me, then please chime in.

backlot

Nobody uses Smogon rules but Smogon. Why do so many of your Pokemon have Rain Dance though? Are you afraid of other weather changers that much?

Bah I can't stand Draco Meteor.

I'm into using it only when I have Contrary.

Move looks cool though.

I keep it on Kingdra because it solves any and all Dragon-related problems in the rain without slowing me down. But I used a Mixed sweeping variant, so YMMV.
Nobody uses Smogon rules but Smogon. Why do so many of your Pokemon have Rain Dance though? Are you afraid of other weather changers that much?

Nothing stops a Tyranitar like using Rain Dance after it switches in. Also, you NEED at least half of your team to be capable of starting the rain on a Rain Dance team. What's the point of using the team if you can't reliably start the weather?

I don't generally respect smogon rules with friends, I'm just noting what they are. I like running Draco Meteor on things that are running mixed sets, I had a lot of fun with it on a Flygon for a while.

backlot

Nothing stops a Tyranitar like using Rain Dance after it switches in. Also, you NEED at least half of your team to be capable of starting the rain on a Rain Dance team. What's the point of using the team if you can't reliably start the weather?

I guess its ok on Kingdra but a Tyranitar could just destroy a Jolteon on the turn it used Rain Dance. I don't think leftovers do much for Jolteon either.

I also feel like the whole reason you'd use Politoed is so that you don't have to devote so many moveslots to Rain Dance. If you're using Rain Dance anyway then you might as well just use something better than Politoed. Setting up rain is the only thing he's good for.

I guess its ok on Kingdra but a Tyranitar could just destroy a Jolteon on the turn it used Rain Dance. I don't think leftovers do much for Jolteon either.

I also feel like the whole reason you'd use Politoed is so that you don't have to devote so many moveslots to Rain Dance. If you're using Rain Dance anyway then you might as well just use something better than Politoed. Setting up rain is the only thing he's good for.

And if Politoed is dead, then your team is done for since you don't have enough rain inducers. I even have Rain Dance on Politoed because you can never be too careful. You should always be thinking about the worst-case scenario for weather teams, one of which is when the weather wears off. Politoed, as nice as the Drizzle ability is for him, isn't the catch-all solution for weather teams as so many people think he is, and he's certainly not what I would call "reliable." If your team revolves around the weather and you can't reliably keep the weather up, then what are you using the team for?

backlot

I think the better strategy would be to have a way to keep Politoed alive until your opponents weather inducers are done with. You don't have to leave it out to die at the beginning of every match. Maybe even have a Pokemon or two that can function in the absence of rain until you take down Tyranitar or whatever. That way you don't have to sacrifice 1/4 of every other Pokemon's movesets either.

I think the better strategy would be to have a way to keep Politoed alive until your opponents weather inducers are done with. You don't have to leave it out to die at the beginning of every match. Maybe even have a Pokemon or two that can function in the absence of rain until you take down Tyranitar or whatever. That way you don't have to sacrifice 1/4 of every other Pokemon's movesets either.

I don't call it a sacrifice. I call it a way to win the weather war. Besides, water has amazing coverage with nearly every type in the game, so it's not like you're going to be stressed for options because 3-4 of your team has Rain Dance.

backlot

I don't think running hypnosis with scald is necessarily a bad thing. Some enemies you might be better off putting to sleep then burning.

The more personality in Pokemon characters, the better. So much hilarity ensued today, huh?

Who do you think is the best character, ever? (No cheating with Rosa and Nate!)

The more personality in Pokemon characters, the better. So much hilarity ensued today, huh?

Grimsley.

079.gif

Aside from being a swag-a** mother****er, he also has some of the best lines in the series. In addition to this, he even gets some added depth in BW2 when it's revealed that he once was a member of a wealthy, distinguished family who developed a gambling addiction when their fortune was lost and their estate fell to ruin. He joined the Elite Four in order to prove that his family name still meant something.

I like how battle backgrounds and animations get improved even when within a generation. Who doesn't like flashy lightshows all the time? I think I will leave battle animations on even while EV training from now on.

Say, what's your favourite battle background? (PokeStar Studios and the green screen doesn't count unless counted as separate.)

Scrafty, where are your trainer log updates? You didn't give up on them, did you?

I wrote a few of them last night, but I misplaced the flash drive on which they were located :(

If I find it, I promise I'll post one for each day I missed.

I will never give up on them, though! Even if I was getting criticized left and right, I would see this through to the end. They're nothing I hate more than people who give up on their commitments!

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
So we tried the hacked Pokemon battle out. At first it was boring cause we were just stalling each other out with Wonder Guard Spiritomb and Sableye. But then we realized that there are actually counters to this with Mold Breaker.

BUT instead of going with someone with Mold Breaker I'm just going to give Scrappy to Regigigas and FSU with super effectiveness.

Stage On

Best human character? Ash of course, particularly during the Advanced generation and Diamond and Pearl Sagas when he was being written as more mature.

If he was actually using his older Pokemon he would rolfo stomp any gym leader and rivals like Trip easily.

Busaiku

Confusion should go a physical/special split too.
Damage from hurting yourself shouldn't just be all Attack.

If you use a Special move, it should do Special damage.

Top Bottom