• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Okay, I'm going to try EV training for the first time. I'm going to use the Lilligant you can get as an in game NPC trade in B2 (since she has the Own Tempo ability which will mean Petal Dance ahoy).

One quick question, just to be sure: the FIRST pokemon you send out gets the EVs, right? If she goes out first and then I switch to somebody else for the KO, it's her that gets it, correct?

Final moveset will be sleep powder/giga drain/leech seed/petal dance btw. And EVs will go into Sp Attack (252), Speed (252), HP (4).

Bueno?

Okay, I'm going to try EV training for the first time. I'm going to use the Lilligant you can get as an in game NPC trade in B2 (since she has the Own Tempo ability which will mean Petal Dance ahoy).

One quick question, just to be sure: the FIRST pokemon you send out gets the EVs, right? If she goes out first and then I switch to somebody else for the KO, it's her that gets it, correct?

Final moveset will be sleep powder/giga drain/leech seed/petal dance btw. And EVs will go into Sp Attack (252), Speed (252), HP (4).

Bueno?

Every Pokémon that participates in the battle against a particular Pokémon gets EVs from that opponent. If you get experience, you get EVs.

Aggrotek

Bueno?

Wings are your friend.

Bueno?
Any Pokemon that gains experience in the battle also gains EVs, so if you send out one Pokemon, and switch out for another, both of them get the same amount of EVs.

Just make sure to count correctly - try to stack EV modifiers to maximize your gain (a Power item + Pokerus would be ideal), and keep a notepad nearby in order to keep track of KOs.

Every Pokémon that participates in the battle against a particular Pokémon gets EVs from that opponent. If you get experience, you get EVs.

Got it, thanks. And I read that it's not split. So that means they both get the point(s)?

Wings are your friend.

Yep, my basic plan is:

-Give her 10 Calciums for 100 SpAtt EVs

-Give her however many genius wings I have on hand(/feel like tracking down till I get bored) for a point a piece

-Go fight Litwicks with Power Lens equipped until she's up to 252.

I'll be keeping track on paper. Then I'll do the same for speed (using Anklet/Carbos/Swift Wings/Basculins)

lnGnT.jpg

Andrefpvs

Got it. Okay, thanks y'all, I think I have a pretty good game plan then.

I suggest you write down the EVs you get on paper the first couple of times you train just to get used to it, but after you get comfortable with the process, you can use this small program I wrote to keep track of your EVs. It's basically a substitute for writing on paper, nothing more :p

I actually have a more recent version of this on my computer somewhere (with some bugs fixed), but I can't find it right now ._.

EDIT: Found it, this is a quick-compile (no icons or metadata) of version 0.6b: DOWNLOAD

Cool, thanks! I'll probably do exactly that... try it on paper a couple of times, then give your app a shot.

Also, wow, I just realized that the Petlil in question in B2 is given to you holding a Power Anklet. This really was meant to be the "My First EV Training" Pokemon, huh?

btkadams

so, are we ever going to get meloetta??? it's annoying that they gave us a higher number legendary, because there is a hole in the pokedex. if the new gen is coming in october, i really hope they do a meloetta event by then. perhaps in the 2 months prior, like keldeo?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I started a Nuzloke run in my Heart Gold last night and even though I'm only 1 badge into the challenge I am WAY too invested in it. I've gotten a little lucky so far with my first encounters so I've already got a decent looking team. I dunno, I just have this urge to tell people about it you know?

Anyway so far I've got:

Bilbo (Cyndaquil) lvl 12
Gandalf (Hoothoot) lvl 9
George (Geodude) lvl 12
Peter (Spinarak) lvl 8

George is my MVP so far (he swept the first gym and is probably going to be my ace against Miltank soon enough), but Bilbo is coming up from behind. Gandalf has finally started to come good and it looks like he'll only get better. My only problem is Peter. Poor guy really has nothing going for him right now, he's sort of like his namesake (Peter Parker) in that he seems really cool but he's really sort of useless on a team. Here's hoping things turn around for him. I almost caught a Ghastly in sprout tower but at the time the only move I had that would work on him was ember and it burned him. I'm still a little sad about that.

I can only see this getting harder from here on out, god knows how I'll beat that Scyther with U-turn in the next gym. I'm also worried that I won't have a water type to work with when it comes time for surfing. Looking even further into the future that Kingdra is going to be my biggest challenge, I have no idea how I'll get by that without any casualties.

ffdgh

....Isn't meloetta gone yet in the dub?

and on an unrelated note, I finally found a way to transfer my emerald rom pokemon to gen 5.

hello groudon/kyogre/rayqyaza,latias and a few others.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Hey everyone! Just got White 2 and was wonder what the best way is to get the OG starters (Squirtle, charmander and bulbasaur) Can I get them in White 2 or can i only get them through trade? Thanks for the help!

entremet

Hey everyone! Just got White 2 and was wonder what the best way is to get the OG starters (Squirtle, charmander and bulbasaur) Can I get them in White 2 or can i only get them through trade? Thanks for the help!

You can only get them via transferring from Gen IV. If you've seen them, you can ask for them via the GTS.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
You can only get them via transferring from Gen IV. If you've seen them, you can ask for them via the GTS.

Damn... Welllll does anyone have a charmander/bulbasaur theyd like to trade me? keep in mind i just got white 2 so im not sure what I could trade... Thanks for the answer though!

Wiseblade

Guys, does anyone know about fan covers for this music: Victory Is Right Before Your Eyes (aka Gym Leader's Last Pokémon)

Guitar, Piano, any instrument is fine. This is probably my favourite battle theme in Gen V.

The only one I know about is this one (and it's pretty amazing), but I can't find any more.

You know that's just a remix of the Pokémon main theme, right? Looking up any cover of that will probably give you similar feels.

entremet

Damn... Welllll does anyone have a charmander/bulbasaur theyd like to trade me? keep in mind i just got white 2 so im not sure what I could trade... Thanks for the answer though!

Well GTS is to request trades, but you able to trade any Pokemon from people you have as friends, via friends codes, in the game.

btkadams

if you don't find anyone to by this evening, i can help you out. if your gaf profile is accurate, i'm assuming you are mountain time, so sometime around 8 i would be available.

i can provide eggs or trade them to you already hatched. if they are already hatched by someone else before you get them, they earn more experience in every battle. however, some people (like me) prefer to hatch them so that they are more "your" pokemon. the game is pretty easy, so the extra experience isn't really that big of a deal imo. i can give you a magby/litwick to hatch the eggs faster too, if you are hatching them.

so, bulbasaur and charmander? you don't want squirtle too? also, don't worry about trading anything worthwhile. i have a completed dex (aside from the elusive keldeo) so any pokemon is a garbage pokemon at this point.

Yeah - Each Pokemon has an ability that they can only get from the Dream World, and if you catch them there, you can send 'em over - there are quite a few out now, and the abilities are breedable (if you get a female with the ability). They vary in usefulness, and certain combos are more desired than others (like Multiscale Dragonite, for example).

Oh thank you for that explanation :) That sounds very useful should I ever go down the competitive route and might be helpful to get some of my old Pokémon favorites back, I really hope I encounter a Torchic and a Pichu sometimes :D

Also if I'm already posting here how are the Black and White 2 game-guides? I don't really have any use for them with the internet but I do remember reading them countless times back when Red and Blue and Gold and Silver were still new and I thought it might be a nice addition, are they worth the 20€ each?

Wait, how does this work? I'm just starting to EV train, any tips would be appreciated.
You can set up Dojos/Cafes in BW2's Join Avenue. They have training sessions or meals that give your Pokemon a certain number of EVs. Each of these can be used once per day and if you have these shops maxed to rank 10, you'll have access to EV services that give points in 4, 8, 12, 20, 24, 32, 48, and 64 increments. Coupled with the 100 EVs you can get via vitamins, you should be able to reach any multiple of 4 with some combination of the above.

You'll need both types of Cafes and 3 of the 4 types of Dojos to cover every stat for each point increment. Only downside to this method is that you use up a lot of money quickly. But once you're done EVing your Pokemon, you can slap an EXP share on it and grind for money and levels in the Nimbasa sports domes or Tower/Treehollow. Farming Micle berries in the DW also work since those sell for 30k a piece to the food maniac on Route 5.

You can set up Dojos/Cafes in BW2's Join Avenue. They have training sessions or meals that give your Pokemon a certain number of EVs. Each of these can be used once per day and if you have these shops maxed to rank 10, you'll have access to EV services that give points in 4, 8, 12, 20, 24, 32, 48, and 64 increments. Coupled with the 100 EVs you can get via vitamins, you should be able to reach any multiple of 4 with some combination of the above.

You'll need both types of Cafes and 3 of the 4 types of Dojos to cover every stat for each point increment. Only downside to this method is that you use up a lot of money quickly. But once you're done EVing your Pokemon, you can slap an EXP share on it and grind for money and levels in the Nimbasa sports domes or Tower/Treehollow. Farming Micle berries in the DW also work since those sell for 30k a piece to the food maniac on Route 5.

Very informative, thank you.

I gave up on a shiny Ralts, 5 days of just breeding ralts with zero luck. Trying to get a Bold Squirtle now.

backlot

Very informative, thank you.

I gave up on a shiny Ralts, 5 days of just breeding ralts with zero luck. Trying to get a Bold Squirtle now.

Are you aware of the everstone trick? If you have a parent hold an everstone it increases the chance of passing its nature on to its offspring. So if you had a bold Ditto or something and gave it an everstone you could get a bold Squirtle much faster.

Are you aware of the everstone trick? If you have a parent hold an everstone it increases the chance of passing its nature on to its offspring. So if you had a bold Ditto or something and gave it an everstone you could get a bold Squirtle much faster.
And in BW2, Everstone works 100%
as long as you don't give both parents Everstones lol

I went to a McDonalds just a few moments ago, originally planning to buy a burger for supper, but I decided otherwise while inside.

But there's one thing that caught my eye in there...

A. Victini. Figurine.

Why must you tease me ;.; And how am I supposed to buy a Happy Meal for myself?

Macka

I just decided to rank the fully evolved forms of all starters.

1. Charizard
2. Blastoise
3. Feraligatr
4. Typhlosion
5. Blaziken
6. Sceptile
7. Empoleon
8. Emboar
9. Serperior
10. Venusaur
11. Infernape
12. Samurott
13. Meganium
14. Torterra
15. Swampert

Gotta say, I'm feeling a lot better about Samurott after that. There are worse starters.

Top Bottom