• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Teknoman

I truly believe that if Dunsparce was removed and Game Freak didn't say anything, nobody would notice or care.

Someone would say something. Seems like every Pokemon has it's fanbase somewhere. Just like how there are Shuckle fans....

Speaking of which, I wonder if anyone ever trained an Unown?

EDIT: Double shiny battle? Thats just odd.

I trained an Unown once, I think. I can remember having one at level 16 in one of the GBC games. It probably had HP Electric or something, making it useful on Falkner and Bugsy's Scyther. Clearly I learned how useless they were as it never got to be a higher level than 16.

If you guys really want more people posting here, I guess I'll start. I've been lurking GAF since early 2010, but I didn't want to just barge into a community thread like I owned the place. Can't wait for all the X/Y hype in the upcoming months.

Stage On

Can I just say that it really irks me when people suggest that removing a bunch of Pokémon to bring the total number down would improve the series? Because it really, really does.

It's super silly, then Nintendo would have less cards and plushies to sell and they don't want that.

Captain N

I have had this desire to play Pokemon Trading Card Game. I got two starter decks about a year and a half ago. My wife won't play with me and my three and a half year old is too young to get started. My question is where can I go to play? Also are the cards from when the game first started still allowed in leagues and tournaments? Also, how about X & Y decks/boosters. When can we expect them?

Wichu

I have had this desire to play Pokemon Trading Card Game. I got two starter decks about a year and a half ago. My wife won't play with me and my three and a half year old is too young to get started. My question is where can I go to play? Also are the cards from when the game first started still allowed in leagues and tournaments? Also, how about X & Y decks/boosters. When can we expect them?

Have you tried the official online version? The starter decks should contain codes you can redeem there.

To answer your other questions: AFAIK, most tournaments use the 'modified' format, where only recent cards are allowed, so you won't be able to use really old cards.
X/Y cards should come out at around the same time as the games themselves, so October-ish.

I trained an Unown once, I think. I can remember having one at level 16 in one of the GBC games. It probably had HP Electric or something, making it useful on Falkner and Bugsy's Scyther. Clearly I learned how useless they were as it never got to be a higher level than 16.

If you guys really want more people posting here, I guess I'll start. I've been lurking GAF since early 2010, but I didn't want to just barge into a community thread like I owned the place. Can't wait for all the X/Y hype in the upcoming months.

Community threads are made for new people to barge into. If you have any interest in a topic, you're encouraged to join the discussion!

Macka

Just spent the last half hour thinking about it and here's the list of type combinations that haven't been used yet...I think!

Grass/Ghost
Grass/Fire
Grass/Electric
Grass/Dragon
Fire/Grass
Fire/Water
Fire/Psychic
Fire/Ice
Fire/Poison
Fire/Electric
Water/Fire
Rock/Fighting
Rock/Ice
Rock/Poison
Rock/Ghost
Rock/Electric
Rock/Dark
Rock/Dragon
Ground/Fighting
Ground/Psychic
Ground/Ice
Ground/Poison
Ground/Dragon
Fighting/Ice
Fighting/Poison
Fighting/Ghost
Fighting/Electric
Fighting/Dragon
Psychic/Bug
Psychic/Poison
Psychic/Electric
Psychic/Ghost
Psychic/Dragon
Bug/Ice
Bug/Dark
Bug/Dragon
Flying/Fighting
Ice/Poison
Ice/Steel
Poison/Fire
Poison/Rock
Poison/Ground
Poison/Psychic
Poison/Ice
Poison/Steel
Poison/Dragon
Ghost/Grass
Ghost/Fighting
Ghost/Rock
Ghost/Steel
Ghost/Dragon
Electric/Grass
Electric/Fire
Electric/Rock
Electric/Fighting
Electric/Psychic
Electric/Poison
Electric/Dark
Dark/Bug
Dark/Poison
Dark/Electric
Dark/Steel
Steel/Ice
Steel/Poison
Steel/Dark

There's some surprising ones that haven't been used yet. There hasn't been a Psychic/Bug? Or a Dark/Bug?

ffdgh

Just spent the last half hour thinking about it and here's the list of type combinations that haven't been used yet...I think!

Grass/Ghost
Grass/Fire
Grass/Electric
Grass/Dragon
Fire/Grass
Fire/Water
Fire/Psychic
Fire/Ice
Fire/Poison
Fire/Electric
Water/Fire
Rock/Fighting
Rock/Ice
Rock/Poison
Rock/Ghost
Rock/Electric
Rock/Dark
Rock/Dragon
Ground/Fighting
Ground/Psychic
Ground/Ice
Ground/Poison
Ground/Dragon
Fighting/Ice
Fighting/Poison
Fighting/Ghost
Fighting/Electric
Fighting/Dragon
Psychic/Bug
Psychic/Poison
Psychic/Electric
Psychic/Ghost
Psychic/Dragon
Bug/Ice
Bug/Dark
Bug/Dragon
Flying/Fighting
Ice/Poison
Ice/Steel
Poison/Fire
Poison/Rock
Poison/Ground
Poison/Psychic
Poison/Ice
Poison/Steel
Poison/Dragon
Ghost/Grass
Ghost/Fighting
Ghost/Rock
Ghost/Steel
Ghost/Dragon
Electric/Grass
Electric/Fire
Electric/Rock
Electric/Fighting
Electric/Psychic
Electric/Poison
Electric/Dark
Dark/Bug
Dark/Poison
Dark/Electric
Dark/Steel
Steel/Ice
Steel/Poison
Steel/Dark

There's some surprising ones that haven't been used yet. There hasn't been a Psychic/Bug? Or a Dark/Bug?

the ones in bold exist :p

Macka

the ones in bold exist :p
Oops!

That said, with the exception of Ground/Dragon, Ground/Ice and Fighting/Poison, the others have either been used by legendaries or one of Rotom's formes. There's still a lot of potential there even with those combinations that have been used.

Really not sure where to jump back into the series. I like the idea of collecting all the pokemon but I doubt ill be able to do that with X and Y since I doubt it will include ALL pokemon

What are peoples expectation with trading upwards to X and Y. At first I figured the DS to 3DS may be a barrier but with wifi trading iv had to reconsider.

Any suggestions what to start at. Can i catch em all starting with Black+White?

Firestorm

There are leagues almost everywhere that play casually on a weekly basis, but anyone past their early teens is going to be fairly competitive running decks far better than a starter set. I'd look up on http://sixprizes.com (Resources > Beginners) for some deckbuilding tips.

X & Y is going to be interesting. The TCG in North America is usually two sets behind Japan (so 6 months). Although this worked fine when games took longer to localize, I have no idea what they're going to do now. They'll either need to catch up quickly by releasing larger sets (or more sets) before October -- or we will still be getting BW2 expansions until the spring of next year.

Wichu

Really not sure where to jump back into the series. I like the idea of collecting all the pokemon but I doubt ill be able to do that with X and Y since I doubt it will include ALL pokemon

What are peoples expectation with trading upwards to X and Y. At first I figured the DS to 3DS may be a barrier but with wifi trading iv had to reconsider.

You should start with HeartGold/SoulSilver for the gen 1/2/3 starters + legendaries and tons more Pokémon you can't get in B/W.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think HeartGold/SoulSilver + BW2 + Dream Radar + a couple of event Pokémon you can get via Wi-Fi should cover (virtually) everything. The only things I can think of right now that's unobtainable between those are the gen 4 starters.

If you're fine with just using Wi-Fi trading to get unobtainable Pokémon, just start with BW2. There's quite a lot missing, but you save money + playthrough time by getting the few missing ones via Wi-Fi.

The cartoon is also like 4-5 months behind.

Actually barring any more breaks from either Japan or America, we're only 3-4 months or 14 episodes behind.

Though I just imagine there's nothing they can really do about the anime's delay unless we're getting simulcasts or something.

PK Gaming

No, but i'd start in B/W1 anyway since it provides a fresh new start for those who haven't played Pokemon in a while. Up until the E4, you can only catch & experience Unova Pokemon.

So I was just checking out TCRF as I haven't done that in a few months, and I noticed something was added to the Red/Blue page:

It looks like the gyms were once quite different. I really wonder if that "Falcon Badge" was obtained from a gym for the unused Bird type at some point in development.

Also, it looks like the Egg->Chicken mechanic from Earthbound was in there at some point as well.

Busaiku

You know, the prospect of discovering things alongside the rest of the world has me hyped.
But if I get the version with no Whimsicott, I don't know what will happen.

Okay so I found all the six sages and moved round to every city in White 1 can I move to White 2 at this point story-wise or do I still miss anything like aside from various Champion-battles etc?

As far as the story, you're good to move forward!

Alright thanks Ike, I guess it's time to move on to my new Adventure! :D And I don't remember exactly who it was but someone in the X Y thread told me that Black and White 1 are superior in terms of endgame story-telling to Black and White 2 and obviously I can't say anything about White 2 yet but I have to agree the ending in the first games was very well done! I loved how it all came down to the friendship between Pokémon and showing N that there is more than what Team Plasma made him believe and it's definitely one of my favorite Pokémon Endgame parts :)

Though another favorite of mine would actually be the ending of R/S/E. My memory of all the Pokémon games is somewhat hazy as I all played them on release and rarely replayed one of them but my playthrough of Sapphire is still the most vivid one in my memory for some reason, all the rain, Team Magma and Aqua and the general dark feeling all over the gameworld left me in awe and I really felt like I just discovered a ancient legend that put the whole Pokéworld in danger and I'm not sure if it's because I'm older now but White 1 while overall better in terms of story and presentation didn't feel as... "grand" sadly :(

ffdgh

It suits you tho oddly lol.

Anyway it's time to go down the path of masuda once again.

Today's goal is
Spr_5b_207_m_s.png
with immunity.

Pokemon XY thread did this to me

Oh no some wild Joltik ran over Boss Doggie's Ookami-kun and they aren't even moe D: GAF sure has changed...

And with that, Pokémon White 2, start! :D

Wait a second... I can't connect to WPA2 Wi-Fi even though White 2 is a DSi enhanced title and I have a 3DS? o.o

Oh no some wild Joltik ran over Boss Doggie's Ookami-kun and they aren't even moe D: GAF sure has changed...

And with that, Pokémon White 2, start! :D

Wait a second... I can't connect to WPA2 Wi-Fi even though White 2 is a DSi enhanced title and I have a 3DS? o.o

You should be able to.

Black/White and Black 2/White 2 use the same internet settings the 3DS uses for its online connection.

You should be able to.

Black/White and Black 2/White 2 use the same internet settings the 3DS uses for its online connection.

Yeah I solved the problem now, for anyone that also gets a "No compatible Access-points in range" in such a situation make sure you delete all Legacy DS connections in the 3DS and only leave the "modern" 3DS connection, afterwards it worked for me :) Seems like the game got confused between the DS connection I set up with WEP and the WPA2 connection I set up for the 3DS :/

Top Bottom