• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
B2W2 spoiler free?

No real story specifics. Although it does talk about new features and how B2W2 is different from BW. It also mentions the appearance of a certain Pokémon in a certain new area and the logic behind why it appears there (very minor stuff, in my opinion).

Easiest way to avoid spoilers is to not worry one way or the other. I wasn't spoiled by several big name movies this summer because I didn't care if I was spoiled or not.

No real story specifics. Although it does talk about new features and how B2W2 is different from BW. It also mentions the appearance of a certain Pokémon in a certain new area and the logic behind why it appears there (very minor stuff, in my opinion).
It's not a legendary, or anything; it's Mareep.

I'd say it's pretty comprehensively spoiler-free.

Zeroth

Shots fired

ifX2rfpEfHuS1.gif

GAF Rangers assemble!

Stage On

I can't really decide between the two.

Now, if you were talking Meowth or James, then I'm behind you.

All the 4kids voice actors where the best. The new voices are trash.

I kept watching the dub up until they changed over and it was so much better then the current voices.

They had gotten so comfortable in their roles that they where ad libbing at times and it was great. Some of the jokes they manged to get past the censors where hilarious

Don't get me wrong, 4kids pretty much sucked for everything other then Pokemon but that was the one series the did (mostly) right.

Don't get me wrong, 4kids pretty much sucked for everything other then Pokemon but that was the one series the did (mostly) right.

I thoroughly disagree. As a work of dubbing, the non-4Kids episodes are far, far superior to the 4Kids episodes. Less editing of non-American content (doughnuts lol), no shitty references to American culture inserted (Missouri Vikings, ugh), less treating the audience like idiots, more faithful representation of the original, right down to music.

Nostalgia aside, the modern dub is superior in pretty much every way which isn't the voice acting.

Stage On

I thoroughly disagree. As a work of dubbing, the non-4Kids episodes are far, far superior to the 4Kids episodes. Less editing of non-American content (doughnuts lol), no shitty references to American culture inserted (Missouri Vikings, ugh), less treating the audience like idiots, more faithful representation of the original, right down to music.

Nostalgia aside, the modern dub is superior in pretty much every way which isn't the voice acting.

At least the old dub made me laugh out loud consistently, the new version is just bland at best.

At least the old dub made me laugh out loud consistently, the new version is just bland at best.

That may have been because you were a kid when you watched the 4Kids dub.

I'd rather stick to the originals than sticking stupid, incomprehensible for non-Americans cultural references in.

Anth0ny

All the 4kids voice actors where the best. The new voices are trash.

I kept watching the dub up until they changed over and it was so much better then the current voices.

They had gotten so comfortable in their roles that they where ad libbing at times and it was great. Some of the jokes they manged to get past the censors where hilarious

The dialogue itself/censoring was bad.

But the voices were awesome. I can't even stomach the new voices. Ash sounds god awful.

But the voices were awesome. I can't even stomach the new voices. Ash sounds god awful.

The new voices are different, not worse. With a few exceptions, people would be saying exactly the same things if the current voices came first and were replaced by the 4Kids dubbers.

Brock and Ash absolutely sound worse. It's not even an argument.

Brock, sure, but I certainly wouldn't argue Ash was. Veronica Taylor's take got too screechy on occasion, whereas I think the new one nails the ten year old boy vibe better.

Besides, you're aiming at the wrong targets, when new Meowth and James exist.

Stage On

That may have been because you were a kid when you watched the 4Kids dub.

I'd rather stick to the originals than sticking stupid, incomprehensible for non-Americans cultural references in.

I was already 12-13 when Pokemon first came out. I was hardly a kid by the time Pokemon Advance rolled around and the voices switched over.

I'm really not sure how true this is. They still had to try and stick to the original lip-sync.

It's not true at all. I attended a Veronica Taylor panel at Fan Expo this past August, and someone asked outright how much ad-libbing they were allowed to do. She said aside from Eric Stuart, most of them had to stick to the script pretty strictly as to avoid dubbing inconsistencies.

I do have immense respect for her as both a person and a voice actor after attending that panel, though. She's a lovely person.

MikeMyers

At equal levels, Gary would beat Ash.

Pidgeot/Exeggutor/Gyarados/Arcanine/Rhydon/Alakazam>Pikachu/Venusaur/Charizard/Blastoise/Lapras/Snorlax

Too bad Gary didn't love his Pokemon, and lost.

Top Bottom