• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Kokonoe

Banned

Rarutos

Oh my, the Pokémon Community thread got so big that it needed a second? I wonder what percent of that was actually talking about Pokémon. :p

Also hi~

The water point pretty much touches upon why Hoenn is my least favourite region behind Johto, it's got a great idea with the mass water exploration but they should've done something about the encounter rate for that vast area of ocean, it's like repel central, exploring isn't fun when you're bugged by nothing but Tentacool and Wingull for the duration of the experience. More islands wouldn't have gone amiss either.

Still Hoenn's landmass is infinitely more varied than Johto, sections like the desert, volcanic ash routes, thick long grass within the stormy weather really help give Hoenn a bit of a boost.
Alas the water deals a big blow for me. The more I glance at Johto's routes the more basic they look in layout compared to even R/B/Y Kanto, the bit between Ecruteak and Olivine is pretty nice at least.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, next CoroCoro in October apparently is teasing a new "game". A small black and white screenshot of some 3D Pokemon (Pikachu, Axew, Espeon, Umbreon, and Virizion) looking out over a cliff.

A new, 3DS Mysterious Dungeon? Or something else? I wonder if the Nintendo Direct tonight might show it off first.

So, next CoroCoro in October apparently is teasing a new "game". A small black and white screenshot of some 3D Pokemon (Pikachu, Axew, Espeon, Umbreon, and Virizion) looking out over a cliff.

A new, 3DS Mysterious Dungeon? Or something else? I wonder if the Nintendo Direct tonight might show it off first.

I'd buy a 3DS Mystery Dungeon if it let me play as my favourite Gen V Pokémon.

Oh, who am I kidding; I'd buy it even if it didn't. I hope the plot's as good as the last game's!

Johto has only slightly less size than Kanto.

Size is irrelevant. More relevant is that Johto's levelling and progression are utterly shot to shit, and is made even worse by having Kanto bolted on to it.

I'm currently taking on the HGSS Elite 4 with a team around level 35, and making a damn good fist of it, too. You can't say that about any of the other games.

I'd love a 3DS Mystery Dungeon, and it'd look good with those models.

I'm feeling that it's more likely to be a PokePark style diversion, though.

Wichu

I doubt it's Mystery Dungeon. Doesn't the Mystery Dungeon art usually show them wearing scarves?

More likely to be another PokéPark.

Kokonoe

Banned
Size is irrelevant. More relevant is that Johto's levelling and progression are utterly shot to shit, and is made even worse by having Kanto bolted on to it.

I'm currently taking on the HGSS Elite 4 with a team around level 35, and making a damn good fist of it, too. You can't say that about any of the other games.

I usually have one level 60 with a few 40-50s by the time I reach Lance. I've never made it to any Champion at that level in any Pokemon game.

Mention of those bikes reminds me what an absolute pain it was to use them to get around the Sky Pillar so you could catch Rayquaza.

Kokonoe

Banned
You're hideously overlevelled then. I shudder to think of the unnecessary grinding you must have done.

I don't really grind much either, for every Pokemon game I focus on one Pokemon and focus on a second one as a backup. I then catch the rest on the way in the higher level zones and do very easy leveling up.

I usually have one level 60 with a few 40-50s by the time I reach Lance. I've never made it to any Champion at that level in any Pokemon game.
Holy nose to the grindstone Zubatman, I barely reach mid 40's for the entire team by the time I turn up on Lance's doorstep.

edit: okay so you don't grind? I need to stop trying to juggle six pokemon

Kokonoe

Banned
Holy nose to the grindstone Zubatman, I barely reach mid 40's for the entire team by the time I turn up on Lance's doorstep.

edit: okay so you don't grind? I need to stop trying to juggle six pokemon

I'm actually not surprised as I've been getting shocked expressions for about 10-11 years. I've always just done it this way, though. It's always worked out too.

*edit*

My Arceus, what a wonderful video.

Juggle 6 Pokemon? Maybe if you get a few Lucky Eggs you could do that...otherwise, so much easier to stick to 3 or less.

And yes it was very rewarding to get Rayquaza after all that hard work.

I haven't been overleveled for the E4 in forever, because of my "everyone must be at a similar level" thing. Even when fighting every single trainer I come across, I end up just at the level I need to be. Or a little bit under, but this is made up by having a rounded team.

Hmm, that was probably GF's intention, when I think about it.

Gravijah

i used to just use the starter and maybe some legendaries, but for a long time now i go with 5/6. i also constantly switch Pokemon, adding new ones to my team, and grind up lower level ones.

That's one of my favourite innovations in Black and White; the experience gradient really helps in keeping a balanced team at the same level.

Nothing more satisfying than demolishing the Champion using a different Pokémon for each of his.

I always end up with a full team of 6 and train them all equally. I also usually plan out what Pokemon I'll use before I even get started.

Juggle 6 Pokemon? Maybe if you get a few Lucky Eggs you could do that...otherwise, so much easier to stick to 3 or less.

But how else will I create the dream team? it's like a double edged sword, part of my fun is having that team of six with you for the journey, specifically seeking them out and building a well rounded team of ass kickery.
But then without fail in every single game I arrive at the elite 4 underleveled (even if I was on par for the gym leaders) and it's a slog every time, I actually hate the elite 4 for this reason.

Hmm Lucky eggs, they would make all the difference.

Edit: What Chet said, that's basically how I play, haven't decided anything for B2/W2 though.

Stage On

I really wish chuang yi would fix their web page and update it. The English version of Pokemon Adventure Volume 40 should be coming out soon with Japan getting Volume 42.

Man I hate being so far behind. Luckily Black and White has built up so many chapters that the next few volumes will be quicker just like Gen 4 was after how long it took to finish Emerald due to the ending literally being straight to the graphic novel.

This is now the Mach Rider Community Thread. Andrex, OP redesign please.

Shinji Mikami is the obvious choice for a next-gen Mach Rider revival FYI

edit: oh maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan Mach Rider Revengeance sounds good to my ears

Boney

Banned
You only have yourself to blame.
And maybe Izayoi.

I will try harder and get the told on by a mod to make this thread a nicer place to live in

Oh my, the Pokémon Community thread got so big that it needed a second? I wonder what percent of that was actually talking about Pokémon. :p

Also hi~

went from like 10-20% to 90% with the 10% just bitching about wiseblade's terrible gifs

This is now the Mach Rider Community Thread. Andrex, OP redesign please.

Shinji Mikami is the obvious choice for a next-gen Mach Rider revival FYI

edit: oh maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan Mach Rider Revengeance sounds good to my ears

Mach Rider is the best terrible racer ever.

Zeroth

RsxB9.jpg
http://zimmay.deviantart.com/

Dat Charmander face. It's like looking into the depths of Hell.

Stage On

Finding good spots to level up can be such a pain in Pokemon.

I haven't gotten to the rematch rounds against the Elite 4 in Fire red because the top Pokemon is lv 75.

Problem is it's really hard to grind after level 50 since all the wild pokemon are so weak and even rematches with the vs checker only get you so far

Heart Gold/Soul Silver is the worst for this since they took away the vs checker and getting rematches with the gym leaders is a total pain in the butt.

Platinum meanwhile was the best. I never had problems grinding between the Vs checker and trainers you could fight every day at spots

Black and White relies on the Sports domes a little too much for grinding once you get to a higher level. Getting to lv 80 felt slower then Platinum but at least it literally gives you a lucky egg to speed things up.

Top Bottom