• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Kokonoe

Banned
I don't know but if it causes chaos in this thread, I want to watch.

I'm not sure if everyone here has played through the game, but it still to this day is the only Pokemon game I've ever sold. I don't like Black and White, everyone knows this, but that's more a 7.0/7.5, not a terrible game. I can't say the same for Battle Revolution.

I still can't believe the company who made Colosseum and XD made it, seems like it would have been a lot better.

It's just not as fun, too sterile at times, a lot of the Pokemon in Gen V aren't as interesting as the other gens (Though there are still plenty of good ones)...blah blah blah.

Kokonoe

Banned
I did not.

Why exactly?

Most of the designs I don't really appreciate compared to the last four generations, it has the most disliked Pokemon from me compared to each other generation, and even the ones I don't dislike, most of them don't pass over as better designs in my opinion.

I also really disliked the world, and felt like it was rather limited in comparison to the last four generations of games, and to be honest I thought N was a bit too cliche for my tastes. The world itself is quite linear which I'm not into when I play RPGs, and the towns just feel smaller, I know a few are rather empty.

The female starter is nice, I like that design, but I did notice a lot of the female characters in the game are a lot more revealing although the setting of the games aren't in a place like Hoenn. I don't dislike those designs, but yeah. My other complaint is the battle music, now while I enjoyed the route music, most of the battle music I just particularly wasn't fond of.

Rival Battle

Are you really hating on the Rival battle song from BW? Really?

Absolutely. It's my least liked song in all the versions. While I enjoyed battling every Plasma member, I regretted the rival battles because the music doesn't sound anything like a battle song. To me it sounds literally, one hundred percent as if they stuck a route song into the rival scenario. Is it a bad song all by itself? No. Is it a bad battle song? I certainly think so. It's also not just a bad "Pokemon Battle song", that's not my problem. It's not even a battle song to begin with.

Wild Encounter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50cPOgYCLXw

I'll first off say I do not like the intro, it has a bit of what I didn't like out of the rival battle. It's too "happy", like that's not quite the vibe I would get from the other encounter songs and their intros. As for the rest of the song, it gets better as it's played out, but I still would put it at the bottom because it doesn't try anything new like the last two gens. It doesn't "wow" me at all.

Ghetsis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLdjl65jAB8

This song is just tons of loud beats over and over and "Ghetsis". The later part of the songs seems as if they're using the genesis chip for the "whoa, whoa, wuh, whoa". There's nothing wrong with that part specifically, but it is out of place. It seems like every now and then the song will for a few seconds start to sound like it's going to take off into something actually interesting, but then it goes back to the repetitive beats.

N
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV-WIizgOvs

This song sounds like it was done for a Castlevania game. I'd say it is slightly, slightly, slightly, over the top, but it's not bad. It's nothing notable, but it's not bad by any means. I feel more engaged by the pulsing beat in the back than the actual music.

Elite Four Battle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnJwd9zrjiA

Once again, not a bad song, not in anyway, just not the "amazing" quality and creativity Pokemon games usually have.

Team Plasma Battle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp3FtEaV7tQ

This song is absolutely great. The intro is unique(at least to me), it starts with it's own little small build up, but then immediately turns into the most epic song in the entire game. It's not just the beat, nor is it the music, it's both that connect me with this masterpiece.

Gym Last
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FPz7yklWrA

Actually like this, but it's just another version of the Pokemon Theme.

I guess my biggest complaints are designs and the world, I just couldn't connect with them like I did the past few games. I did appreciate the faster battling, but what I don't appreciate is the scaling used to animate the Pokemon during battle as it looks rather tacky.

ddI9g.jpg

Arcanine in threeeee-deeeee.

Unova is a bit limited. Love the designs of some of the large cities but it's based off New Jersey, can't expect much there. They should have picked a better state to base it off of.

Kokonoe

Banned
As for Battle Revolution, if I was to say something positive about it, I would say this.

If all you wish to do is have 3D Pokemon battles online, it may not be the best way due to the cloning, but you'll find enjoyment out of that.

Kokonoe

Banned
Unova is a bit limited. Love the designs of some of the large cities but it's based off New Jersey, can't expect much there. They should have picked a better state to base it off of.
Agreed.

I wonder if there will be a console game that works with Gen 5.

I hope so, and I hope it works with all the other DS Pokemon games too. I would like a Stadium 3 worked on by HAL Laboratory, the people who made the first two Stadium games, first two Ranger games, and Pokemon Snap.

Nice avatar by the way.

Stage On

Ranger 2 was so...well boring I guess.

It fixed alot of problems that Ranger 1 had like difficulty level but I really felt like I had to force myself to finish the game so I could get to the bonus missions.

Well at least I didn't feel like pulling out my hair from playing it so it wasn't really that bad.

Haven't gotten around to ranger 3 yet thought so I can't rate it.

The female starter is nice, I like that design, but I did notice a lot of the female characters in the game are a lot more revealing although the setting of the games aren't in a place like Hoenn. I don't dislike those designs, but yeah.

Revealing in what way? They look pretty tame to me.

EoRsY.png

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Lol Pokeball colored Basketball.

Fun Fact in Highschool I used to throw the discus and at a meet someone from the other school had a Pokeball colored discus. Looked amazing.

MikeMyers

Am I the only person liking that particular penguin?
I like him.

Mechanically the game gets stronger each gen, though I didn't really get into gen 2's meta game and I really did not like playing through that version of Johto. I also don't like Hoenn but luckily FR/LG and the GCN games are Gen 3.

Gen IV fixed Johto in my mind and I love Sinnoh, but B/W and Unova are on a whole new plane of awesome.

Yeah, RSE didn't really hold up that well for me. But I've been replaying the Kanto remakes and they are awesome.

I never played the Johto remakes all the way through, but I loved GSC.

Platinum and Sinnoh are okay.

I like White version a lot, but I don't know if it beats the first two regions for me.

Amazon finally got off their lazy asses and added the box arts for Black 2 and White 2. The listing for the games has been empty for the longest time.

The only thing I really don't like about Black/White is that they have piss-poor endgames.

This was my gripe as well, on top of the weak endgame and the essentially pointless task of rounding up the sages there was that massive level jump causing grind time before you could even start the endgame.

Wait you like the story of Team Dim Sun over the likes of Team Plasma or Team Galaxy? o_O

I still like BW/BW2's stories best, but Guardian Signs actually had a pretty good story that was more engaging than SoA's.

Also, does anyone else want to see Gabby and Ty make a return? I thought that they were actually quite a clever idea.

Stage On

I still like BW/BW2's stories best, but Guardian Signs actually had a pretty good story that was more engaging than SoA's.

Also, does anyone else want to see Gabby and Ty make a return? I thought that they were actually quite a clever idea.

Isn't their a reporter in Platinum that you run into that has a similar thing going on?

Kokonoe

Banned
Guardian Signs is the worst Ranger game, but that's probably cause it's not made by Hal Laboratory.

As for Pokemon mainline stories, they are all practically identical, so I don't see what's so great about them.

Stage On

i've only played whichever one starts you in a school. couldn't get into it.

Yah that's the second one. That school is part of the reason I almost didn't finish the game. It's a tutorial section that goes on way to long and treats you like you're brain dead.

Guardian Signs is the worst Ranger game, but that's probably cause it's not made by Hal Laboratory.

As for Pokemon mainline stories, they are all practically identical, so I don't see what's so great about them.

If you think GS is the worst one than you probably haven't played the first one in a while. That was an exercse in futility and frustration, especially that gorram Steelix and Metagross. :<

Yah that's the second one. That school is part of the reason I almost didn't finish the game. It's a tutorial section that goes on way to long and treats you like you're brain dead.

I learned long ago to not judge games by their tutorials. Otherwise Kingdom Hearts II wouldn't be in my top 10 favourite games ;)

Kokonoe

Banned
If you think GS is the worst one than you probably haven't played the first one in a while. That was an exercse in futility and frustration, especially that gorram Steelix and Metagross. :<

GS is the only one I stopped playing because while it has a nice concept at first, it tends to have a lot of walking around and doing things over and over to halt your progress, especially after you get Suicune. I haven't played the first one in a while, though.

Top Bottom