• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

I have this GameCube in a trunk somewhere:

41TPG3EE3ZL.jpg

My friend also has the LE FRLG GameBoy Advance, which he still uses regularly.

JoeM86

I found Serebii's new page about Pokémon limited edition consoles interesting. Black and White 2 and HGSS are the only Pokémon RPGs not to get a limited edition handheld to go with them.

Glad you liked it, I worked hard on that. It was so hard to find data about the GameBoy Color ones, especially as I tried to use official images only on that.

Technically Red, Green & Blue didn't get one either

Stage On

I'm hoping they use X and Y as an opportunity to revamp the anime again.

Advanced and Diamond and Pearl weren't perfect by any means but they where far better then Best Wish's could ever hope to be. If they keep on with the current tone of complete pointlessness I'm not sure I can keep going.

JoeM86

I liked Best Wishes. Preferred it to AG and DP which dragged. BW brought a lot of stuff hard and fast. Fantastic battles (Nimbasa Gym battle notwithstanding), great plots (Serious TR is the best TR) and so forth. Decolora Adventures really is suffering due to the lack of direction though

Refyref

I don't think there is a way to make the Pokemon anime good. Maybe if they throw out everything they have and start anew with X/Y. Maybe.

Zeroth

Gold should've replaced him in the Johto season. smh

Actually, I thought Ash was fine for Johto, in the sense he could grown as a trainer/whatever. The problem was keeping him after that.

I don't think there is a way to make the Pokemon anime good. Maybe if they throw out everything they have and start anew with X/Y. Maybe.

I haven't watched the anime in years, but AFAIK the recent season had some interesting story elements, though the problem is that as long Ash exists the anime will always keep some elements stale.

JoeM86

What people keep forgetting is that the Pokémon anime is written and designed for 8-12 year olds. It's not meant to be a mega mature anime

Actually, I thought Ash was fine for Johto, in the sense he could grown as a trainer/whatever. The problem was keeping him after that.

I haven't watched the anime in years, but AFAIK the recent season had some interesting story elements, though the problem is that as long Ash exists the anime will always keep some elements stale.

If they were to remove Ash, we'd have another trainer going through the same stuff. It'd be stale then, too.

Zeroth

What people keep forgetting is that the Pokémon anime is written and designed for 8-12 year olds. It's not meant to be a mega mature anime

If they were to remove Ash, we'd have another trainer going through the same stuff. It'd be stale then, too.

Perhaps it would, but an all new trainer would be prone to more development than Ash. I know you watch the anime regularly and I don't, but I think we can agree that at some point, having a character for so long will inevitably play some part on what themes can be explored with him.

PK Gaming

There are plenty of cartoons / animes that are targeted towards children and aren't objectively terrible. I think adding a new trainer would ultimately be a good thing, since it would spice things up and actually let Ash finish his character arc (ie become a Pokemon master) instead of stagnating.

Refyref

Yea, getting rid of all the old characters could do it for me.

I don't want a mega mature anime. I personally don't care for Pokemon Special because of all of its try-hard attempts at "mature" stuff. I just don't like how the current series goes.
You can make something good and target it at all ages - See Pokemon, the main series.

Kokonoe

Banned
I purchased the Pokemon XD Theme skins, although, I would like to have that Shadow Luigi logo on the top of the Gamecube.

So, yesterday I worked and compiled a list of all the limited edition Pokémon consoles that have existed and it made me wonder, what ones do you guys have? Any rare ones?
I have the Pokémon Yellow GBC.

The speaker is broken but it still works!

Kokonoe

Banned
Can't you take off the top circle thing on Gamecubes? I remember trying before but couldn't. Maybe I can find a cheap one in time for my birthday.

As a side note, RBY has good battle speed when the HP counts are not too high, I think. Also helps that most of the attacks have super simple animations.

Stage On

I liked Best Wishes. Preferred it to AG and DP which dragged. BW brought a lot of stuff hard and fast. Fantastic battles (Nimbasa Gym battle notwithstanding), great plots (Serious TR is the best TR) and so forth. Decolora Adventures really is suffering due to the lack of direction though

Well don't get me wrong BW isn't all bad. I like that it gave Ash's sidekicks rivals which meant more reoccurring characters.

And Making Team rocket serious was a good twist since they'd gotten so stale I was lobbying for them to be thrown out entirely.

But It was entirely too rushed as is show by how much filler we're getting now. Decolora adventures is just a massive waste of time and even Episode N was pretty pointless in retrospect.

Of course it's biggest crime is how much damage it did to Ash's character. I know it's hard to advance much since their isn't room left for him to grow with out winning a league or something but they should have just actually let him win and then showed him dealing with the consequences of winning rather then having him backslide so much.

I wouldn't complain about them replacing Ash if they had at least resolved his story positively. If they had let him take down Darkrai and win the Sinnoh league that would have been the perfect way to say good buy. But letting him go now with him getting zero glory would just be such a massive cop-out that I'd never be able to forgive them for.

zroid

Banned
I can still play Platinum and HGSS just fine, but anything before those cause me actual pain. :(

Sucks because I missed Emerald and really want to experience it. Need those Gen 3 remakes, mang.

Stage On

I can still play Platinum and HGSS just fine, but anything before those cause me actual pain. :(

Sucks because I missed Emerald and really want to experience it. Need those Gen 3 remakes, mang.

I was playing Fire red the other day so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Seemed serviceable enough to me.

Top Bottom