• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ash reverting as though he was a newbie damaged BW for me. He should've progressed forward much like how he was handled in Hoenn and Sinnoh.

It's not that bad...

Considering how Bite took forever instead of the instant clamp, yes it is. And let's not forget the UI speed and clutter.

When I think back to gen IV, I realized that the animations took forever there. It's like someone was trying too hard to be epic. Battle animations several seconds long for even the simplest moves, anyone?

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm hoping Gen VI has Mewtwo's kamehameha animation.

GCtiBoK.gif

Kokonoe

Banned
Just so I can lodge this directly into my brain for future reference, there's a certain date each month where Pokemon Smash airs, and more info is released, correct?

JoeM86

Well don't get me wrong BW isn't all bad. I like that it gave Ash's sidekicks rivals which meant more reoccurring characters.

And Making Team rocket serious was a good twist since they'd gotten so stale I was lobbying for them to be thrown out entirely.

But It was entirely too rushed as is show by how much filler we're getting now. Decolora adventures is just a massive waste of time and even Episode N was pretty pointless in retrospect.

Of course it's biggest crime is how much damage it did to Ash's character. I know it's hard to advance much since their isn't room left for him to grow with out winning a league or something but they should have just actually let him win and then showed him dealing with the consequences of winning rather then having him backslide so much.

I wouldn't complain about them replacing Ash if they had at least resolved his story positively. If they had let him take down Darkrai and win the Sinnoh league that would have been the perfect way to say good buy. But letting him go now with him getting zero glory would just be such a massive cop-out that I'd never be able to forgive them for.

Character progression isn't only done by league winning. People argue that he should win and that's a sign of progression, and that is true in a way, but only if he was using the exact same Pokémon.

I have noticed a pattern with league matches, though it wasn't really the case with the Sinnoh League (but it still had a bit). The battle before the one he loses, he brings out his A team, they're almost all fully evolved and kick arse. Then, the battle he loses, he typically just uses his unevolved Pokémon...which is ridiculous that he still has a few

Johto:

VS Gary: Pikachu, Charizard, Muk, Snorlax, Bayleef, Heracross
VS Harrison: Pikachu, Charizard, Snorlax, Totodile, Noctowl

Hoenn (He only really used his Hoenn team here, no reserves):

VS Morrison: Pikachu, Grovyle, Swellow, Torkoal, Corphish, Glalie
VS Tyson: Pikachu, Grovyle, Swellow, Torkoal, Corphish, Glalie

Sinnoh

VS Paul: Pikachu, Torterra, Infernape, Staraptor, Buizel, Gliscor
VS Tobias (This was different as most of the ones he has used went against a legendary Pokémon in their history): Pikachu, Heracross (Massive type advantage and just conveniently learned Sleep Talk), Sceptile (Had faced Regirock), Swellow (Had faced Deoxys), Torkoal (Had faced Registeel), Gible (WTF)

Unova

VS Stephan (3 on 3): Palpitoad, Leavanny, Krookodile
VS Cameron: Pikachu, Snivy, Pignite, Oshawott, Unfezant, Boldore

Now it isn't as cut and dry, but there is a bit of a pattern. People also claim Ash has "regressed". This too, isn't true. While at the start of the saga, they make Ash go through some stuff to introduce new viewers to some concepts, he doesn't regress. People often use his first two battles against Trip as an example. I'm going to put things in game terms to help people.

The first battle, Pikachu had been severely weakened and couldn't use its Electric-type moves. Picture a Level 90 Pikachu VS a Level 5 Snivy. Pikachu has 1 HP, its moves keep missing. Snivy attacks, it knocks it out. This is how the games work in this scenario.
Second battle works similarly. Ash used Snivy, Tepig, Oshawott and Pidove. Trip used Servine, Frillish and Tranquill, presumably of higher levels.
No matter how skilled a trainer is, if they use weak/lower levelled Pokémon, they're more likely to lose.

I win most of my battles, I am a rather skilled battler. However, that does not mean I won't lose if I use Pokémon weaker/lower levelled to my opponents. Strategy only goes so far.

If anything, the character development with Ash's skills made him get cocky, as seen with the Nimbasa Gym, but that humbled him and with the Driftveil Gym, he got to a point where the Gym Leader wanted to throw in the towel.

Just so I can lodge this directly into my brain for future reference, there's a certain date each month where Pokemon Smash airs, and more info is released, correct?

Pokémon Smash airs at 7:30am JST every Sunday. It contains an XY segment each week, but just reiteration of CoroCoro stuff for the most part.

CoroCoro is released on the 15th every month (except August), and usually contains new information

Kokonoe

Banned
Orange Islands is my #1 Season too.

Flareon
Orange Islands
Gyarados

Looks like someone has been sippin' the great taste.

That is why we have the new guys...I think lol

I think they realize that Ash is just a household name now so they don't. I've said this in the past, but they treat the Pokemon Anime like a cartoon. New episodes do have stuff that reference previous episodes, but it doesn't incorporate much logic as far as the story is concerned so they can make more episodes and aren't limited with themes. As long as Pokemon video games are still made, they will continue this.

Flareon
Orange Islands
Gyarados

Looks like someone has been sippin' the great taste.

I think they realize that Ash is just a household name now so they don't. I've said this in the past, but they treat the Pokemon Anime like a cartoon. New episodes do have stuff that reference previous episodes, but it doesn't incorporate much logic as far as the story is concerned so they can make more episodes and aren't limited with themes. As long as Pokemon video games are still made, they will continue this.

It's a shame because cartoons for kids have shown to still have good and engaging stories...=/

Busaiku

The Sailor Moon comparisons don't work.
Jupiter is green and also has plant powers.
Tuxedo Mask doesn't have any dark themed powers or anything either.

MikeMyers

Jupiter fights with Electric. I suppose you could switch Jupiter and Uranus around though.

T. Mask can do nothing but heal, which isn't too far off seeing as Umbreon just sits there and heals with Wish most of the time.

Kokonoe

Banned
I'll have to hear your thoughts on Dr. Pepper, because I'm currently "sippin'" on that.

I haven't had any carbonated drinks since August 2007, but I did in fact like Dr. Pepper and still do remember the taste.

An official trailer (Officially posted by TV Tokyo so don't ban me, mods) of the Mewtwo special that airs on July 11th

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s4BiuTSHD0

Can't say I'm too fond of this artstyle, but I'll watch it anyways.

KF14JHT.png

I'll have to hear your thoughts on Dr. Pepper, because I'm currently "sippin'" on that.

Vaperon = Mercury
Flareon = Mars
Jolteon = Jupiter
Espeon = Venus
Umbreon = T. Mask
Leafeon & Glaceon = Uranus & Neptune

I suppose Eevee would be Chibi Moon, correct? Then who is Pluto?

Boss Doggie

Vaperon = Mercury
Flareon = Mars
Jolteon = Jupiter
Espeon = Venus
Umbreon = T. Mask
Leafeon & Glaceon = Uranus & Neptune

Technically Vaporeon could be Neptune, and Glaceon could be Mercury (Mercury has more attuned ice attacks while Neptune has more of the "pressure of the undersea).

Umbreon could actually be Saturn.

An official trailer (Officially posted by TV Tokyo so don't ban me, mods) of the Mewtwo special that airs on July 11th

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s4BiuTSHD0

Interesting. Still, why is GF stating it as ???.

Jupiter rarely exhibits her plant powers though :(

Boss Doggie

At the very least some of the episodes were pretty funny. Rotom and Caterpie episodes were pretty good. Can't wait for the Jirachi one.

Current pet-peeve: people thinking the snorefest that is Ni no Kuni is the "progression" of Pokemon.

Refyref

HG/SS speed is fine. It's not Gen V speed, but it's fine. This isn't D/P we are talking about. That being said, it's a bit hard for me to go back to the static battles and those back sprites, but those are just minor visual issues and don't affect the game.

Top Bottom