• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm really happy they've incorporated the getting hit animations like the 3D battle simulator and 3D RPG games into the mainline titles with X and Y.

Refyref

I'm glad that unlike the 3D games, X/Y have all Pokemons on screen at one, because other than a few attacks in PBR, the 3D games showed you a side attacking, and then afterwards a side getting hit.

I'd say it's because unlike sprites, model "actions" aren't memory hogs and very tedious to do.

More likely because it's not hard to animate a 3D model once you already have made the base. In sprites, the more animations you make, the more work you have to do.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
More likely because it's not hard to animate a 3D model once you already have made the base. In sprites, the more animations you make, the more work you have to do.

Exactly.

Also 3d models don't take up much memory iirc, so no fps problems hopefully

Kokonoe

Banned
They've dipped a couple of times due to effects and locations (sometimes with the C-Gear on, I can see the game stutter in Nimbasa City), but it's typically a solid 30fps

Probably all the stuff Pokemon loads at once these days, well, the 3D.

Ruby and Sapphire was 60 FPS correct? Or is my memory being fuzzy? (haven't played it in years)

Keyouta

While a locked 30 for XY will be really nice, I'd like it even better if it ends up being a locked 60. The fps slowdowns below 30 in DP and BW were annoying.

Boss Doggie

Battle speed aside, other things that prevent me from going back to older gens as far as the battle is concerned are UI speed (text speed, amount of text on screen, etc. - just compare both games when trying to learn a move and need to replace an existing move for that), less clutter on messages (like weather), quick transitions between menu (why is there a need for a fade in/out in Gen IV?), and certain effects being pretty much faster (stuff like Intimidate not needing to be stated, debuff/buff effects are faster, item use is faster, etc.)

What have the frame rates been in each of the mainline titles?
RBYGSC - 59.72 fps (this is from dividing the clock speed by the screen refresh time)

RSEFRLG - 59.73 fps (same)

DPPtHGSS - 30 fps

BW/2 - 30fps overworld, 60fps in battle

X/Y - ... I think it'll be 30 fps outdoors and in battle.

RBYGSC - 59.72 fps (this is from dividing the clock speed by the screen refresh time)

DPPtHGSS - 30 fps

I'm pretty sure pre-gen-3 was sub 60 frames for actual updates.

Kokonoe

Banned
We need some solid proof here. lol Perhaps I'll just do it myself, I was trying not to spoil X and Y by playing a Pokemon game before it's release.

DPPtHGSS - 30 fps

I was kind of curious about the "59.73 fps", it seems the actual game boy and game boy advance's screen has that refresh rate, thus, it makes that frame rate. What would occur if these games were ran in a emulator on the 3DS? Would they be 60 FPS or 59.73?

Boss Doggie

I really hope the battles would at least be 60fps

Speaking of which, for me BW2 never had slowdowns during triple, rotation and double battles... but for some odd reason the Triplet double battle causes slowdown.

I'm back, and still trying to decide on a new avatar ):

And they don't stay transparent ):
So if anyone could do me a solid and make these two transparent that would be great!
PCP355.png

PCP247.png

Okay what the hell...
Oh maybe too big, so down size 'em while keeping the transparency.

I'm pretty sure pre-gen-3 was sub 60 frames for actual updates.
Yes, that's what I said ;)

To be more exact (for the GB/C at least), after a certain amount of clock cycles have passed (the time it takes for the screen to draw every *onscreen* vertical line), a flag is set in the CPU indicating the VBLANK (vertical blank) interrupt is to take place. If the interrupt is enabled, this causes the code to jump from wherever it's executing to a predetermined location in memory (in the GB/C, this is $40), where the programmer has to write code to do whatever drawing is needed, then jump back to wherever the game left off. The time for this is relatively short (about 1 ms). The time taken to draw the 144 onscreen vertical lines, and the time in VBLANK to "draw" 10 more lines, corresponds to a 59.72 fps refresh rate. The time taken is constant, so in GB/C's "double clock rate" mode (going from 4MHz to 8MHz), there's more time in the VBLANK to do whatever.

We need some solid proof here. lol Perhaps I'll just do it myself, I was trying not to spoil X and Y by playing a Pokemon game before it's release.

I was kind of curious about the "59.73 fps", it seems the actual game boy and game boy advance's screen has that refresh rate, thus, it makes that frame rate. What would occur if these games were ran in a emulator on the 3DS? Would they be 60 FPS or 59.73?
(For this explanation, I use "system doing the emulation" as 3DS, and the target system as "GB/C", but it applies to almost any system.)

It depends on how well the emulator is written. For example, you'd be doing these things in a loop:

Fetch instruction from program
Decode
Execute
Update memory
Update timers
Update I/O connections
Update sound playback
Update display
etc...

and that takes a variable amount of time, depending on how complex the instructions you're doing are. If the 3DS can do all these operations within 1/60th of a second, then great - the 3DS has enough time to properly time its screen refresh to match the GB/C's refresh rate, to give the appearance that this is running at exactly the same speed as the original hardware. But if not, you experience slowdown - hence most emulators offering "frame skip", which gives them more time to do whatever complex operation they need to do before drawing the screen with the sacrifice of drawn frames.

The original code is... complex, to say the least. That's what causes choppiness in certain parts.

If you're familiar with Z80 ASM, you can take a look over here:

https://bitbucket.org/iimarckus/pok...7d66681f651ee92ba0e34ef308/main.asm?at=master

(note: 2MB+ text file)

Oh dang, I'm not familiar with assembly language of any kind. I'm more of a C#/C++ person.

That said, how was Gen III, IV, and V coded? In what programming language? These are... something that I somehow want to know.

Oh dang, I'm not familiar with assembly language of any kind. I'm more of a C#/C++ person.

That said, how was Gen III, IV, and V coded? In what programming language? These are... something that I somehow want to know.
The GBA and DS have ARM-based processors, so in those cases one *could* use ARM code (documentation of which is widely available), but you could just have a toolchain that compiles your C/C++/whatever code to ARM to make things less tedious.

It's likely that G3 is done in C, and 4-6 are done in C/C++. On the homebrew side, there are toolchains available for GBA and DS homebrew that are in C/C++:

http://devkitpro.org/

Stage On

Ash hasn't regressed?

What about the fact he's not even using his more advanced strategies like Counter spin at all?

And that battle he had with Elesa was just plain embarrassing

JoeM86

Ash hasn't regressed?

What about the fact he's not even using his more advanced strategies like Counter spin at all?

And that battle he had with Elesa was just plain embarrassing

The Elesa battle incident was overconfidence, but then ended with a strategy akin to the "counter spin" one you reference

The only thing I disliked about B/W anime was how certain Pokemon on Ash's team got shafted in development.

And, Iris.

A moment of silence for Palpitoad, Unfezant and Boldore, please.
If Scraggy doesn't evolve before it gets Oak'd permanently, I will blow all of my gaskets.

At least Scraggy gets to appear more than once a year. Palpitoad has appeared in 3 whole episodes within the past two years.

Top Bottom