• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

DaBoss

I'm not sure that we'll be getting Hoenn remakes, it could really mess up the timeline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z4zEBloxmE

Gen I and Gen II had remakes for a reason, to give the games proper continuity and not contradict newer games at every turn. Gen III remakes would have no purpose and be counterproductive to what Game Freak have done, unless of course, all they did in the remakes was update the graphics and mechanics and keep everything else the same, then that would be fine.
I don't think that was the reason at all. They were made as the video said, to let people get access to those Pokemon in the Red/Blue and Gold/Silver.

That's one of the reasons why I'm kinda doubtful that there will be Gen 3 remakes. Every Hoenn Pokemon is able to be transferred over. Then there is the fact that FireRed and LeafGreen are also a part of Gen 3. Would they receive remakes as well?

Only reason I could think of for doing it is money.
I think the next game, whatever it may be, will be out sometime in 2015. At least in the US, there's been a Pokemon game out every year since Platinum was released, and I suspect with the worldwide launch that's going to slow things down a little bit. I wonder where the Strange Souvenir or whatever it was called falls into this, though, because if I remember correctly it wasn't from any region we know about and I doubt we'd have to wait until Gen VII to figure out what the deal with that is.
Yea, that Strange Souvenir thing is pretty strange. I wonder what it is supposed to be. For all we know, it could be spin-off related, but I doubt they would mention mainline games' regions if that were the case.

3rd Gen is the only one I never played. Do you guys really think they're working on Hoenn remakes? I would be too happy about it. I dream that it comes this year but I have no reason to believe it will.

I'm 70% sure they are making remakes.
The other 30% is me thinking they are instead making sequels to the Hoenn games, which is actually what I want more.

I think 2016 would be the perfect year of release for what ever the new Hoenn games end up being. That year will be the 20th anniversary of the Pokemon series and it will likely be the swan song year of the 3DS with its successor probably releasing that year.
I don't think that was the reason at all. They were made as the video said, to let people get access to those Pokemon in the Red/Blue and Gold/Silver.

That's one of the reasons why I'm kinda doubtful that there will be Gen 3 remakes. Every Hoenn Pokemon is able to be transferred over. Then there is the fact that FireRed and LeafGreen are also a part of Gen 3. Would they receive remakes as well?

There is also a huge fan demand for the games and the series has advanced a lot since then. Plus it would be a perfect opportunity to introduce more Megas.

Fury Sense

If I'm not mistaken, migrating from Gen III to IV requires a DS with a GBA slot, right? Well, perhaps that constitutes the compatibility issue that could necessitate Hoenn remakes.

The last handheld system to support GBA games was the DS Lite in 2006. After that, the DSi in 08/09 lacked that functionality and it hasn't been seen since.

If we don't get full 3DS remakes, I think we should at least expect digital ports that perhaps even connect to the Poke Bank.

-Horizon-

I don't think the remake will be a continuation but I want to believe we'll somehow get another region attached to it.
Like looking at Bulbapedia it says that the events of Hoenn occur before Sinnoh...what if the remake does the opposite of Gen 2 and we explore the region...years before gen 4 happens :0

Shyamalantwist.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
903.jpg

Timeless

With Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection going down soon (May 20), can I still import Pokemon from gen 3 -> gen 4 -> gen 5 -> gen 6? Would it be easier to use some existing NWC service (Pokemon Bank?) to get the importing done, and wouldn't that mean my time is running out?

Caladrius

With Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection going down soon (May 20), can I still import Pokemon from gen 3 -> gen 4 -> gen 5 -> gen 6? Would it be easier to use some existing NWC service (Pokemon Bank?) to get the importing done, and wouldn't that mean my time is running out?

You don't need Wi-Fi connection for any transferring.

Gen 3-4 requires the OG/Lite DS and both games in the cartridge slots

Gen 4-5 Requires 2 DSes to connect over local wireless.

Gen 5-6 Uses the Nintendo Network service instead.

greg400

Banned
Hopefully Game Freak is open to revisiting past remakes like Fire Red and Leaf Green. Technically FR/LG should be next on the list after RSE.

-Horizon-

Indeed. I guess the only thing we really can do is make the most of our time while we can.

I think I've had enough Red and Blue to last me a century.

Add all the bells and whistles gen 4-6 brought into FireRed and LeafGreen Master Edition and you got yourself a brand new game.

Timeless

Hopefully Game Freak is open to revisiting past remakes like Fire Red and Leaf Green. Technically FR/LG should be next on the list after RSE.
Generations (including remakes):
1, 2, 3, 1, 4, 2, 5, 6,

I can't believe that you're correct.

Generation 4 should still get a remake first.

First of all hey guys I don't think I've ever posted in here before. But yea twitch is really making me want to play pokemon again :p

Maybe its because it was my first pokemon game but I would love to see a remake of ruby and sapphire. When I was a kid that soundtrack blew my mind, especially the team magma/aqua leaders and the elite four. I remember going through literally the entire game using Blaziken only and I might have thrown in a Mudkip 3rd evolution only run too (forgot the name). Imagine my disappointment when emerald's champion was water-type haha. Even though I see a lot of people think its the worse gen, its probably my 2nd favorite after B/W.

If there's one thing I really want from future pokemon games its an increase in difficulty. Exp, Share is a huge mistake, the Elite Four needs to go back to being consecutive (with increasing levels obviously), and gym leaders need to actually increase the number of pokemon they use lol. X/Y was a pretty massive disappointment in that regard.

edit: ...yea I am totally replaying SS. I didn't actually beat Red the first time!

Daemul

True, there's really no reason for them to be remade, unless they want to help out people who have no access to Gen III pokemon since they don't have an older DS to play the advance games on. But how longer can they keep taking those people into account? They can't remake each Gen over and over again, it has to end somewhere.

Wiseblade

I just threw up a little.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure XY take place after the events of Gen V. Any Hoenn game this generation would have to be a sequel rather than a remake for story purposes.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah even Gen IV can use its features in the 3DS (due to DS mode). I guess now there's a big excuse for a gen III remake.

DaBoss

I'm kind of starting to think that they're going to make a new region or something that will focus on Hoenn Pokemon (legendaries) and have other Pokemon not obtainable in Kalos.

That weird souvenir thing and the guy who gave it really confuses me. WHERE IS HE FROM?

-Horizon-

I'm kind of starting to think that they're going to make a new region or something that will focus on Hoenn Pokemon (legendaries) and have other Pokemon not obtainable in Kalos.

That weird souvenir thing and the guy who gave it really confuses me. WHERE IS HE FROM?
A time traveler from Ransei.

Daemul

Hmm, Black 2 came back in stock faster than anticipated, so I quickly ordered it before it went out of stock again. Now with both Black 1 and Black 2 on the way I can feel my the excitement rising. I haven't played Pokemon in years so I'm getting that same giddy feeling I used to get long ago each time I got a new Pokemon game. I still have Bioshock Infinite to finish, which will tide me over until the games arrive, so I'll keep my excitement in check, but only just. Ah Pokemon, how I've missed you.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Holy crap. Just hit Gym 6 in SS and I am getting shredded by a lv 33 steelix. Can't seem to find a good place to grind a few levels either since my team is still in the mid 20's.

I did just get a message that the Safari Zone opened up so maybe head there? All the zones around the lighthouse town gym have random encounters against enemies in the teens, including the ocean and none give very solid xp rewards.

Just kind of a weird difficulty hike all of a sudden. Any tips for good places to go to rank up for this encounter? My starter is an evolved cyndoquil which I think would do great against the steel enemies in this place, but again being several levels below this gym I am fearful to try as I might lose(again Nuzlocke run where faints=death).

Game was a decent challenge on this run, but now the real dark soul's begins.

Caladrius

Holy crap. Just hit Gym 6 in SS and I am getting shredded by a lv 33 steelix. Can't seem to find a good place to grind a few levels either since my team is still in the mid 20's.

I did just get a message that the Safari Zone opened up so maybe head there? All the zones around the lighthouse town gym have random encounters against enemies in the teens, including the ocean and none give very solid xp rewards.

Just kind of a weird difficulty hike all of a sudden. Any tips for good places to go to rank up for this encounter? My starter is an evolved cyndoquil which I think would do great against the steel enemies in this place, but again being several levels below this gym I am fearful to try as I might lose(again Nuzlocke run where faints=death).

Game was a decent challenge on this run, but now the real dark soul's begins.

You can't KO pokemon in the safari zone.

Head towards the Lake of Rage.The trainers you fight on the way should hopefully give you the EXP you need.

Add all the bells and whistles gen 4-6 brought into FireRed and LeafGreen Master Edition and you got yourself a brand new game.
Pokemon Electric Yellow Version.

Gen III is the last gen I can see for a remake, since IV is still playable.

Gen IV is playable now, but who is to say that it will be playable on the next Nintendo handheld? Hell the next handheld might lose all backwards compatibility since it will share its architecture with the next console.

Scratch SS, I'm going to finally beat the only Pokemon game I have yet to finish: White 2. Going in blind too so I won't look anything up until I get to post-game content. Should be interesting :p

lupinko

Scratch SS, I'm going to finally beat the only Pokemon game I have yet to finish: White 2. Going in blind too so I won't look anything up until I get to post-game content. Should be interesting :p

I'm looking forward to do my Legendaries/PokeRadar Poke only run of White 2 so I feel somewhat the same. XD

-Horizon-

Pokemon Electric Yellow Version.
I would buy this so hard.

Gen IV is playable now, but who is to say that it will be playable on the next Nintendo handheld? Hell the next handheld might lose all backwards compatibility since it will share its architecture with the next console.
I'm kind of worried about this. Like you said, I can see them dropping BC and starting over from there. Maybe 3DS and DS games on eshop?...but what if the handheld is back to one screen?! >.<

I would buy this so hard.

I'm kind of worried about this. Like you said, I can see them dropping BC and starting over from there. Maybe 3DS and DS games on eshop?...but what if the handheld is back to one screen?! >.<

In regards to playing 3DS games on a single screen system, as it would likely be a touch screen as long as the screen is a resolution of 800x480 or more then they could put the screens on top of each other just fine. As long as the resolution is right and the screen is big enough there should be no worries about playing DS and 3DS games on a single screen. Seeing as how they are releasing DS games on the Wii U eShop and since the next handheld will be using a modified Wii U architecture it would be pretty likely that they would release DS games on the eShop, but 3DS games would be a huge question mark. If they do release DS games on the next handheld's eShop would they even put the main series DS Pokemon games up? I honestly don't think so.

Brandon F

You can't KO pokemon in the safari zone.

Head towards the Lake of Rage.The trainers you fight on the way should hopefully give you the EXP you need.

Thanks, did just that and Lake of Rage definitely provided a better xp gain to prep myself for the gym. Only grinded a couple levels and flew back and finished that gym soloing the steel types with my starter Cyndoquil(whatever the second evolved form is, forget name). Close call though, that Steelix is no joke.

Now in the Team Rocket base and since my copy of Black should arrive today, I might be calling this run over as my original intent was to do a blind Nuzlocke of that game with SS as a practice run, familiarizing myself with the mechanics since I am a Pokemon newb mostly.

Really dig SS though. The game is a bit sluggish as it always feels like everything requires a few more button presses to accomplish than needed, but I hear Black really fixes this up. Plus TP's not being single-use will make them more useful for a perm death experience. Just hate hoarding useful skills out of fear of losing them forever to an unexpected crit death.

I've avoided using the internet to research anything about my run, but it does kind of annoy me that the game doesn't seem to include a chart describing strengths/weaknesses for affinities. No way to consult the Pokedex in combat either to remind myself what certain creature affinities are also makes the run super rough as I often forget certain types and go with blind luck when choosing which critter to use in certain matchups.

Regardless SS is a MASSIVE game and I can understand why it is so beloved among fans beyond nostalgia. En route to the 7th badge at 25 hrs but knowing that there is a whole second quest beyond the end of Johto makes me think this campaign can push well beyond 60+ hours of playtime just for the critical path is pretty nuts. So many old dungeons and areas that I can revisit with new abilities I have yet to earn(those whirlpool islands taunted me in the last hour alone), and I assume they hold some crazy powerful Pokemon to discover. Even the dark cave I explored in hour 1 of my playthrough was gated with required key abilities that never left my mind.

But yea, excited to dive into Black and possibly Black 2 soon, assuming I'm not sick of the games by then.

Daemul

Hmm, this is weird. I've just arrived back from work to find my copy of Black 1 on the carpet, but the game had only been dispatched yesterday evening by second class package from Amazon, it should only have arrived on Monday. The only way this would make sense is if there's a new Amazon depot recently built near entree I live which I have never heard about.

Black 2 is dispatching in a few hours, and if it arrives in less than a day like Black 1 did then I'm going to go detective and find out how this is possible. Ah well, it's good timing, since I've almost finished Infinite, so I won't have to spend the entire weekend in boredom.

Ambient80

I gotta rant to other players about this, because it's driving me crazy in X/Y.

The "friends" that you have in-game are the most annoying people ever. I cannot make myself give any shits at all that you learned a new dance move from a Pokemon. No, I don't care if you think fireworks are romantic. Oh, and now that you're on my screen I have to wait for you to slowly meander away while I can't move, even though I was in the middle of doing something.

I really hope they decrease the amount of constant, useless interruptions in gameplay in the next Gen.

Brandon F

I gotta rant to other players about this, because it's driving me crazy in X/Y.

The "friends" that you have in-game are the most annoying people ever. I cannot make myself give any shits at all that you learned a new dance move from a Pokemon. No, I don't care if you think fireworks are romantic. Oh, and now that you're on my screen I have to wait for you to slowly meander away while I can't move, even though I was in the middle of doing something.

I really hope they decrease the amount of constant, useless interruptions in gameplay in the next Gen.

Reminds me of the phone calls I would get from NPC's in SS lately. I got to the point that I seriously considered rejecting everyone's phone number. That thing rang constantly and no one ever said anything worthwhile. Seems worse in X/Y though, at least control isn't wrestled away too much during them, and it's easy to mash through the conversations or flat out ignore answering calls.

Top Bottom