• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Ambient80

Reminds me of the phone calls I would get from NPC's in SS lately. I got to the point that I seriously considered rejecting everyone's phone number. That thing rang constantly and no one ever said anything worthwhile. Seems worse in X/Y though, at least control isn't wrestled away too much during them, and it's easy to mash through the conversations or flat out ignore answering calls.

Yeah I learned quickly to never give anyone my phone number in that game. I have no idea why they thought that was a good idea. Well, maybe at its most basic level it was a good idea, but the execution was stupid. "Hey I like water OLOLOLOL!" is not a valid reason for that feature.

Wichu

Reminds me of the phone calls I would get from NPC's in SS lately. I got to the point that I seriously considered rejecting everyone's phone number. That thing rang constantly and no one ever said anything worthwhile. Seems worse in X/Y though, at least control isn't wrestled away too much during them, and it's easy to mash through the conversations or flat out ignore answering calls.

Well, in X/Y they only happen a couple of times during the story, mostly early on in the game. The phone calls in HG/SS were more annoying since they would happen even after I'd finished the story and was just trying to catch and train more Pokémon.

brinstar

Regardless SS is a MASSIVE game and I can understand why it is so beloved among fans beyond nostalgia. En route to the 7th badge at 25 hrs but knowing that there is a whole second quest beyond the end of Johto makes me think this campaign can push well beyond 60+ hours of playtime just for the critical path is pretty nuts.

The Kanto quest is pretty barebones even in the remake, imo. It's pretty much you and your high-leveled team wading through level 2 encounters and steamrolling Gym Leaders whose levels barely even scale to 60.

Wiseblade

The Kanto quest is pretty barebones even in the remake, imo. It's pretty much you and your high-leveled team wading through level 2 encounters and steamrolling Gym Leaders whose levels barely even scale to 60.
Yes, another enlightened one! People praise Gen 2 Kanto but it's totally barren.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Wow that is pretty lame. Expected a natural scale progression where the quest just continues against high-powered monsters throughout that region. Sounds like a slog otherwise.

brinstar

Wow that is pretty lame. Expected a natural scale progression where the quest just continues against high-powered monsters throughout that region. Sounds like a slog otherwise.

The novelty mainly comes from revisiting areas from the first game and I guess seeing how NPC's have changed. It's a neat idea, and one that was especially cool back when the original games released. Black and White 2 executes it better imo-- though that game also disappointed me but for different reasons.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
personally, i think it would be kind of really weird seeing lv40 wild pokemon in route 1

More bummed to hear Kanto is filled with super low level pokemon coming off fighting the elite 4 and champion of johto. I guess it would be weird to have whatever scrub pokemon exclusive to that region be in the 50's or above but I guess it makes sense for filling out the poke dex and building them up yourself upon capturing if desired. Also tedious.

Killed my enthusiasm. Are the gym leaders in that region also low level?

qq more

More bummed to hear Kanto is filled with super low level pokemon coming off fighting the elite 4 and champion of johto. I guess it would be weird to have whatever scrub pokemon exclusive to that region be in the 50's or above but I guess it makes sense for filling out the poke dex and building them up yourself upon capturing if desired. Also tedious.

the trainers and the gym levels arent low levels, dont worry. its just the wild pokemon

edit: for example route 1 trainers are like lv 47 in the remake, but lv38ish in the original

Caladrius

They ramp up fairly reasonably and cap off close to level 60.

The problem is that the True Final Boss has pokemon in the 80's. I hope you don't have a team of more than 3 pokemon.

brinstar

They ramp up fairly reasonably and cap off close to level 60.

The problem is that the True Final Boss has pokemon in the 80's. I hope you don't have a team of more than 3 pokemon.

That's why I hate how the level scaling is set up in that game. Even with the trainers, level 40 - 50ish is pathetic for postgame and the wild Pokemon are no help.

I always thought it was neat that you could find low-level evolved Pokemon in Kanto.

If you really need to level up rematch the gym leaders. (Get their numbers beforehand though)

Have there been any indications/rumors about Hoenn remakes being on their way for the 3DS? With the cost of and the boundless fakes of gen3 in existence, I feel like I'd rather wait for remakes before I keep trying to hunt down reasonably priced authentic GBA copies.

Wichu

Have there been any indications/rumors about Hoenn remakes being on their way for the 3DS? With the cost of and the boundless fakes of gen3 in existence, I feel like I'd rather wait for remakes before I keep trying to hunt down reasonably priced authentic GBA copies.

Nope, nothing at all.

I picked up Black 2 yesterday. Becoming a big movie star is seriously a more appealing choice than becoming a Pokemon master right now. Pokestar is amazing.

Daemul

You can become a movie star in Black 2? I'm looking forward to that. Hopefully I enjoy it as much as I enjoyed the Contests in Platinum. I spent more time taking part in contests than I spent training my pokemon and battling, they were ridiculously addictive. It's funny though, I HATED contests when they were in the anime, they were so boring, I was glad when they were removed, but the game really brought them to life.

Anyway, I started playing Black 1 and I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm 90 minutes in and I already have my first gym badge after I beat Cilan, who I had to face since Oshawott was my starter, who I chose because I always pick the water starters in each Pokemon game, they never disappoint.

I'm liking Bianca and the other guy who's name I'm forgetting at the moment, I like how like Barry in DPP, they're your best friends first and rivals second, I've had enough of douchebag rivals, Gary Oak filled the entire quota, I hope this trend continues in XY.

I need to catch more Pokemon for my team before moving on to the next gym, all I have is Oshawott and POS, POS being Pansear, the most useless Pokemon ever. I need to catch Darumaka asap. I know Drilbur is somewhere in the vicinity as well.

You can become a movie star in Black 2? I'm looking forward to that. Hopefully I enjoy it as much as I enjoyed the Contests in Platinum. I spent more time taking part in contests than I spent training my pokemon and battling, they were ridiculously addictive. It's funny though, I HATED contests when they were in the anime, they were so boring, I was glad when they were removed, but the game really brought them to life.

Anyway, I started playing Black 1 and I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm 90 minutes in and I already have my first gym badge after I beat Cilan, who I had to face since Oshawott was my starter, who I chose because I always pick the water starters in each Pokemon game, they never disappoint.

A man after my own heart.

And yeah, becoming a movie star is more fun than collecting badges. They should make an entire game of it.

Considering the woefully unimaginative new pokemon we got in X/Y (though they deserve a bit of a break considering Black/White was all new) I'd much rather them remake RSE. Either that or we'll probably get an X2/Y2.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Considering the woefully unimaginative new pokemon we got in X/Y (though they deserve a bit of a break considering Black/White was all new) I'd much rather them remake RSE. Either that or we'll probably get an X2/Y2.

Bullshit.

You can't say that on the gen that gave us Jojobear

Shengar

I still think the Pokeathalon was the high point in side games. Poke Star being a close second.
I'm still mad that they don't include it in newer generation Pokemon :(
The only side games that I enjoy so much. It have so many potential, heck they could even turned into different multiplayer mode.
I wouldn't say they unimaginative , but it's definitely free fall from what we have in Generation V.

Boss Doggie

Well you know my preference. I prefer designs where you analyze them and have lore in their stuff. And post Gen III (and then some) are rife with them.

Boss Doggie

Oh yeah my ranking on mons.

5 > 6 > 3 > 4 > 2 > 1

For reference, here's how I react to say... Tyrantrum.

A typical person would be like "Wow, this Pokemon looks badass and cool! Just look at its fearsome look! Finally a T-rex Pokemon!"

I'm more like "Wow, this Pokemon looks badass and is a T-rex! And also the design complements its kingly reference, with the white feathers resembling an ermine cape and the ridges on its head being a cape. And there's even the subtle color variance in its scales."

DaBoss

Ranking designs by generation is so simplistic and dumb. It says nothing about the individual Pokemon in each gen. You're better off stating which Pokemon you like in each gen to give an idea of what you like.

Wichu

Ranking designs by generation is so simplistic and dumb. It says nothing baout the individual Pokemon in each gen. You're better off stating which Pokemon you like in each gen to give an idea of what you like.

Yup. I dislike gen 2, 3, and 4 designs in general, but some of my favourites are from those gens.

-Horizon-

Favorite designs from each gen:

1 - Scyther
2 - Quilava and Tyranitar and Raikou
3 - Deoxys (attack forme)
4 - Giratina (origin forme) and Darkrai
5 - Litwick and Larvesta because they're adorable
6 - Noibat and Espurr for cuteness and Noivern for awesome

Caladrius

Ranking designs by generation is so simplistic and dumb. It says nothing baout the individual Pokemon in each gen. You're better off stating which Pokemon you like in each gen to give an idea of what you like.

I think of it the same way. I've noticed the general proportion of pokemon I like from each generation is about the same, with VI being the only exception due to the low pokemon count. (For most it's 1/4th, with Kalos it's 1/2)

DaBoss

Excuse me, but I must let this out of my system...

"EVERY TIME I MAKE A POST THERE IS ONE SINGLE TYPO. EVERY TIME. THERE IS PROBABLY ONE IN THIS REASON FOR EDITING AS WELL!!!!!!!!! MRGRGR"

Anth0ny

is there a reason why you can only transport box 1 in Poke Transporter?

I'm in the process of transferring 4 full boxes of Pokemon. I have to move them one by one to box 1.

THIS IS TEDIOUS AS FUCK

Wichu

I'm in the process of transferring 4 full boxes of Pokemon. I have to move them one by one to box 1.

THIS IS TEDIOUS AS FUCK

I struggled with Bank earlier today. The interface is terribad - I wish I didn't have to use it, but I have way too many Pokémon to store on my cart.

It's never going to happen, but it would be great if they did an update that fixed the interface problems.

Yes, another enlightened one! People praise Gen 2 Kanto but it's totally barren.

I'd be lying if I ever said I played through the kanto part of gen 2. Not in silver, not in the remake. Always make it to Viridian city and stop. I think once I beat brock and saw no point in keeping playing lol.

My mono-fairy playthrough is going fine so far. Its pretty easy to make a versatile team.

THIS IS TEDIOUS AS FUCK

I had to transport 14 of them last weekend. Plus a few boxes of stuff I had to transfer from Diamond.

Anth0ny

I had to transport 14 of them last weekend. Plus a few boxes of stuff I had to transfer from Diamond.

cenawtf89f89.gif

I've been spending the last week breeding Pokemon from Soul Silver. Ended up filling 4 boxes of level 1s. Just transferred them all to White this morning, and now going through this fucking process of moving them all to box 1 to get them into X.

Seems like a ridiculous restriction.

Daemul

A man after my own heart.

And yeah, becoming a movie star is more fun than collecting badges. They should make an entire game of it.

My fellow Water Pokemon starter fan.

tumblr_me43lb2trB1rl0zk3o1_500.gif

I've read up on the movie star stuff, it sounds really good, I'll be wasting some hours there that's for sure.

I'd be lying if I ever said I played through the kanto part of gen 2. Not in silver, not in the remake. Always make it to Viridian city and stop. I think once I beat brock and saw no point in keeping playing lol.

I don't know about HG/SS since I haven't played them, but in the originals Kanto was extremely bareboned, so much was missing. It was really cool at the time, because it invoked feelings of nostalgia within me, but looking back, there was no need to go back to Kanto and fight the gym leaders, we should have just gone straight to Mount Silver and battled Red, with his Pokemons levels adjusted accordingly of course.

Maybe the devs made it the way the did because iirc GSC were meant to be the end of the Pokemon games before they became too popular to end, so going back through Kanto one last time makes sense in that context. It is also the closest we have ever come to a Pokemon game allowing us to visit every region, since at that time Kanto and Johto WERE the only regions. We lived the dream guys ;_;

Anyway, back to Pokemon Black. I've managed to get my second gym badge, but not without much suffering. Lenora reminded me of why I hate going up against Normal Type gym leaders early in a journey when my Pokemon are still weak, that's when they give me the most headaches. I never thought that Take Down and Retaliate could ever trouble me this much, add in Hypnosis and you have all the ingredients of a colossal clusterfuck.

It's my fault really, all I had at the time was Dewott and Drilbur, I had tossed POS into the PC storage where he belongs, and I refused to call him back, so I had to face Lenora 2 on 2, which is fair I guess. I've added a Petilil to my team now which I got in a in-game trade with some girl who wanted a Cottenee, this should make the next gym battle go more smoothly hopefully.

I haven't done any research on Unova and it's gym leaders and what types and Pokemon they use so I'm going in blind. I just know that this is going to lead to many frustrating battles similar to the one I had with Lenora, but that's the fun of it I suppose.

P.S. Team Plasma are crazy MF'ers.

blamite

cenawtf89f89.gif

I've been spending the last week breeding Pokemon from Soul Silver. Ended up filling 4 boxes of level 1s. Just transferred them all to White this morning, and now going through this fucking process of moving them all to box 1 to get them into X.

Seems like a ridiculous restriction.

In case you didn't realize, it's way faster if you press Start (it might be select?) To bring up the list of boxes on the right side of the screen so you can just drag directly from one box to any other instead of having to scroll back and forth through every box on the way to 1. It took me a while to find out about this but it made the process much less painful.

-Horizon-

My mono-fairy playthrough is going fine so far. Its pretty easy to make a versatile team.

Poketransporter for Gen 4 to Gen 5 was the biggest time waster though for sure, that darn mini game and box 1 only transferring. Glad I got that crap out of the way first.

So I'm planning on catching up on all the Pokemon games I missed since I lost interest in the franchise (so basically Gen 3 on up), and I was wondering; Is any point in playing Ruby/Sapphire & Diamond/Pearl, or if I should just jump straight to Emerald & Platinum?

spiritfox

So I'm planning on catching up on all the Pokemon games I missed since I lost interest in the franchise (so basically Gen 3 on up), and I was wondering; Is any point in playing Ruby/Sapphire & Diamond/Pearl, or if I should just jump straight to Emerald & Platinum?

No, it's ok to just jump to the 3rd versions of the games. You'll not miss anything, unlike with B/W and B/W2

Top Bottom