• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Celegus

Don't suppose there's a good way to get the 950 pokemon I spent all day uploading to Pokemon Bank in order by Pokedex number? This is taking forever to search for each individual pokemon and place it in the box, though I guess that's what I get for not keeping them in any kind of order to begin with.

Regiruler

After 6 some-odd years, I finally put my Diamond to rest to free it from the burden of it's manipulation and corruption, so that it might be cleansed anew.

Metal_Gear_-_Big_Boss_Salute_(Metal_Gear_Solid_3_Snake_Eater).gif

Replaying it, I was hit with this and was instantly flooded with nostalgia.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
After reaching the 7th gym of Soul Silver, my copy of Pokemon White arrived and I put a lot of time into it this weekend.

So far(up to gym 4) I am liking it FAR more than SS. The environments are a lot more interesting, some nice use of basic 3D and perspective throughout. The game is far snappier in terms of pacing, animations, and even the general level scaling balance is much improved. Wild Pokemon are closer to the levels of the gym leaders in each area too which is nice. In SS there were too many times I would have to purposefully progress well beyond the current gym in order to find appropriate grinding spots just to gain a mere few levels.

Regardless, Pokemon White just seems better put together so far. It doesn't force much in the way of HM progression so far(nice!). TM's are actually useful for really developing your constantly changing team with infinite uses. Each region and area is far more varied in design and aesthetic appeal, and I have yet to ever feel like my Pokemon are a dozen levels above anything the game throws at me making progression feel like a slog with little reward and balanced preparation for the steep incline gym trainers featured in levels(SS had this problem en masse).

Hell, I am even really intrigued by the plot and plans of Team Plasma/seven sages, unlike Team Rocket which just felt like a string of inane capers. Not really a problem for me, but I'm actually somewhat engaged with Team Plasma sequences now rather than just ambivalently squashing Rocket's operations without much thought. A nice plus.

I do wish the C-Gear was removed from the bottom screen when powered down so I can have instant access to my team/items/key items(auto-run boots gone??), even an advance text option on the touch screen was a nice touch in SS. Oh and I also felt the 'bag' was better organized on the bottom screen in SS. B/W kind of mucks up the simple and clean item selection of that game.

Also wish the online operations weren't already shut down. I think trading and battling is still accessible(til May?), but I am bummed the memory link feature is offline so I can't import my file into White/Black 2, nor even see what that dream world thing is all about.

Generally hooked into this one so far. I suppose if and when I ever try X/Y or whatever game comes next on 3DS, I will also feel similarly.

Wiseblade

Ranking designs by generation is so simplistic and dumb. It says nothing about the individual Pokemon in each gen. You're better off stating which Pokemon you like in each gen to give an idea of what you like.
Is this a challenge to rank every Pokémon design in the entire series?

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

Twitch Plays Pokemon inspired me to have a quick check on my HG save file to see what Pokemon I had. I knew I had a Typhlosion, Ninjask, Tyranitar, and Xatu, I knew that I caught a Tentacool near the Pokemon League to surf that little bit of water to get there, and I remembered that I was trying to headbutt some trees in some town to get a Jolly Heracross.

I didn't, however, have any recollection of having a Slowbro that I levelled to level 50. Sure, I remember it now when I think about it, but until looking and thinking about it I seriously don't remember having one. Has anyone else completely forgot about levelling up a Pokemon?

We were talking about this earlier in the PokéGAF IRC, and I think it is interesting.

http://pokemonfigure.blogspot.jp/2012/06/pokemon-trademark-expands-merc-scope.html

This trademark list (from June 2012) came up a few times in the X/Y PokéBOMB threads as a potential list of Mega Evolutions.

I never believed the list would be so accurate, but now we know Jynx is the only one on it without a Mega, haha. I wonder if she might be one we see in a future game?

Zeroth

We were talking about this earlier in the PokéGAF IRC, and I think it is interesting.

http://pokemonfigure.blogspot.jp/2012/06/pokemon-trademark-expands-merc-scope.html

This trademark list (from June 2012) came up a few times in the X/Y PokéBOMB threads as a potential list of Mega Evolutions.

I never believed the list would be so accurate, but now we know Jynx is the only one on it without a Mega, haha. I wonder if she might be one we see in a future game?

Pure Black Jynx makes its return

Pokemon Z's mascot isn't Zygarde, it's Mega Jynx.

Brandon F

Man, this Pokemon is a total bummer...

250px-568Trubbish.png

Sentient trash? Just got him in my party in White, and wow at the description.

I think Trubbish is really cute. It's also my little brother's favourite Pokémon, so subliminal association could play a part in my fondness for it.

Daemul

I have JUST come across Trubbish on Route 5, after looking on the internet it seems it's description is different in Pokemon Black, but no less sad :(.

I've managed to get my fourth badge, after having to deal with the BS that is Volt Switch, now I'm on my way to the next city. I've got to say, I'm loving the futuristic look of the cities in Black, Castelia City was amazing. Oh my God, the Skyarrow Bridge, what a sight, now that I have a bike using it will be a lot of fun.

My pokemon team has gone from 2 when facing Lenora to 5 when facing Elesa, I'm thinking of adding an electric type, but with a rock and grass type in my team that may not be necessary, plus, I'm not a fan of the Zebra and Pachurisu's long lost brother, maybe I'll come across decent electric pokemon.

Anyway, here's my team so far, all level 27:

250px-502Dewott.png

250px-566Archen.png

250px-548Petilil.png

250px-529Drilbur.png

250px-554Darumaka.png

Bring it Elite 4, my team can handle anything you throw at them.

Brandon F

I have JUST come across Trubbish on Route 5, after looking on the internet it seems it's description is different in Pokemon Black, but no less sad :(.

I've managed to get my fourth badge, after having to deal with the BS that is Volt Switch, now I'm on my way to the next city. I've got to say, I'm loving the futuristic look of the cities in Black, Castelia City was amazing. Oh my God, the Skyarrow Bridge, what a sight, now that I have a bike using it will be a lot of fun.

My pokemon team has gone from 2 when facing Lenora to 5 when facing Elesa, I'm thinking of adding an electric type, but with a rock and grass type in my team that may not be necessary, plus, I'm not a fan of the Zebra and Pachurisu's long lost brother, maybe I'll come across decent electric pokemon.

Heh, seems we are making identical progress! I just beat gym 4 in White and am on my way to gym 5(last saved in the cold storage dungeon place).

Party is a bit different but I had that grass petulil(?) and the last fireball guy, but they both died off in the wild and had to replace each(Nuzlocke run so faint=death). My grass guy is that monkey passage which keeps popping back every time a grass replacement is killed. I can't get rid of it! Also been holding off on using a leafstone to evolve since I am unsure how that all works exactly and if the stone is better saved for something else.

Never even seen the mole thing or bird in White yet! Are they exclusive Pokemon to Black?

My team currently, all around 27: (Keep in mind I have no choice in my team makeup as Nuzlocke requires I only can capture whatever wild pokemon I run across first in each route). Trash Pokemon already was killed...:(

600px-499Pignite.png
<-Wanted Oshawott but I already planned to use him in White 2, so I went with Tepig for variety here.

600px-510Liepard.png

511Pansage.png

531Audino.png

507Herdier.png

600px-582Vanillite.png
<- Seriously? The fuck??

Wichu

Never even seen the mole thing or bird in White yet! Are they exclusive Pokemon to Black?

Drilbur (mole guy) is found in swirling dust spots in caves, and Archen (bird guy) can be revived from the Plume Fossil you get in the Desert Resort by going to Nacrene Museum.

My Fairy themed playtrhough in X:
UWDO1uc.png

Huge Power Azumarill is a terrifying thing. Its one-shotting pretty much everything with Return.

Ignore the Braixen, I'm just leveling it up on the side for Dex entries.

Daemul

The mole I caught in Wellspring Cave, after I saw some dust swirling. I thought it was a bug at first and soft reset my DS, but when it happened again I went in for a closer look and out popped the pokemon. I knew about Drilbur before hand, I never knew that was how you found it though.

The bird I got as a fossil in the ruins in the Desert resort, some backpacker offers you a choice of one fossil out of two. Then I ran back to Nacrene and got it revived, its a very cool pokemon.

None of the Polemon in my party are exclusive, except for Petilil who is technically exclusive to White, like Cottenee is technically exclusive to Black, but the game allows Pokemon Black and White owners to have an in-game trade where they can get the exclusive Pokemon.

This game is so good, I don't know why I let my saltiness get in the way of me playing it. What's scary is that Black/White 2 are said to be even better, I'm very much looking forward to playing the sequel.

Brandon F

The mole I caught in Wellspring Cave, after I saw some dust swirling. I thought it was a bug at first and soft reset my DS, but when it happened again I went in for a closer look and out popped the pokemon. I knew about Drilbur before hand, I never knew that was how you found it though.

Never noticed the swirling sands in caves. Though I got my Audino similarly by finding rustling grass in the earlier routes. They give huge XP when killed, but I caught it because it was the first thing I bumped into on like route 2.

The bird I got as a fossil in the ruins in the Desert resort, some backpacker offers you a choice of one fossil out of two. Then I ran back to Nacrene and got it revived, its a very cool pokemon.

Yea I chose one of those fossils as well but haven't ran back to the museum yet to transfer it. Will do soon, but its a long bike ride....

None of the Polemon in my party are exclusive, except for Petilil who is technically exclusive to White, like Cottenee is technically exclusive to Black, but the game allows Pokemon Black and White owners to have an in-game trade where they can get the exclusive Pokemon.

Ah, yea I traded my petilil for cottonee from an NPC. It died in a gym regardless. Didn't realize those were exclusive trades.

This game is so good, I don't know why I let my saltiness get in the way of me playing it. What's scary is that Black/White 2 are said to be even better, I'm very much looking forward to playing the sequel.

Yea I am really enjoying it as well. I have heard equally strong things about BW2 and will likely snag one of them when I get through this.

DaBoss

Also been holding off on using a leafstone to evolve since I am unsure how that all works exactly and if the stone is better saved for something else.
Pansage is the only one that can evolve using a Leaf Stone during the main game (not sure if some post-game Pokemon can use it), so you're better off using it on the Pansage.

Wichu

Pansage is the only one that can evolve using a Leaf Stone during the main game (not sure if some post-game Pokemon can use it), so you're better off using it on the Pansage.

Before using evolutionary stones, you should check the level-up movelists of the Pokémon and its evolution - Pokémon that evolve this way often stop learning level-up moves.

So I was gonna start watching the first season of Pokemon on Netflix but then I looked at the episodes and it isn't even the complete season, it cuts off right before Blaine.
I am sadface now.

-Horizon-

Holy shit, the DS Lite was NOT this fucking small.

Yep, I switch between using a 3DS XL and DS lite depending on the battery and if I have my charger with me. The screens man, the screen. Too bad my DS lite has an effed up screen, no amount of recalibrating will fix the inaccuracy when I use a stylus. Maybe I dropped it a few times too many.

Brandon F

It's such a bummer that the B/W memory link transfer service is turned off. I was really looking forward to checking out the connections between the games and since I only have a single 3DS XL system I can't do an IR transfer when I move onto B/W2.

Crazy too, because so many features only lasted less than a year and a half since B/W2 launched. I guess I am way late, but fuck the game is still full price in retail despite.

789shadow

Banned
Just beat Red in HeartGold. Never did do that. Now I can transfer my team over to White 2.

After I catch about 20 random Pokemon because of that stupid fucking minigame.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Indeed. He should have awakened Groudon and used him to melt the ice caps.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
This just reminds me how much I hate that legendaries went from being 'rare and powerful' to 'godlike entities'. Real jump the shark moment. Mewtwo is still conceptually the best legendary, and I'm not even a genwunner. I blame gen 3 for starting that trend and gen 4 for entrenching it.

injurai

Banned
This just reminds me how much I hate that legendaries went from being 'rare and powerful' to 'godlike entities'. Real jump the shark moment. Mewtwo is still conceptually the best legendary, and I'm not even a genwunner. I blame gen 3 for starting that trend and gen 4 for entrenching it.

Nah gen 3 is fine.

Gen 4 is where legendaries were fucked up.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Eh Gen 2 started it with Lugia being able to kill anything by just flapping its wings and shit.

No one cares about rainbow turkey tho HAHAHAH

Top Bottom