• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

lupinko

Pretty much. I miss stuff like that too. Whats worse is that this generation has the capability of some nice mini adventure level stuff.

Maybe they'll come to their senses and we'll see something like that with Deoxys?

Southern Island is the only thing confirmed so far for bonus.

I think I'll get the physical copy of Omega Ruby when it comes out, even if it means that it might take me several weeks before actually having it, as I didn't pre-order the game this time around.

Digital and Pokémon main series games just don't sound right to me.

Teknoman

Speaking of Mewtwo, which legendaries are banned from online play / general or GAF tournaments?

Still think it sucks that they're just there to be there these days.

Caladrius

Speaking of Mewtwo, which legendaries are banned from online play / general or GAF tournaments?

Still think it sucks that they're just there to be there these days.

Virtually everything with a 680 BST or higher is banned, with the exception of Black Kyurem (in unofficial tournaments. He's still banned in VGC)

In addition to that Genesect, Deoxys-A, Deoxys-N and Darkrai are also banned. I don't remember whether or not Deoxys-S is banned too.

Thank God for Ubers play. This actually kind of makes me want to go back into playing Ubers competitive again (It's the only one I'm not horrible in because of the limited pool of viable pokes that can throw me off guard).

I think the standard online rated battle ban list goes something like this:

Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, Diancie, Hoopa, Volcanion

VGC rules last year banned any Pokémon not native to Kalos and not in the Kalos Pokédex, in addition to Mewtwo, Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde.

Smogon bans all kinds of shit to Ubers.

If true my Gen 3 Jolly Mewtwo and Careful Registeel stay winning.

Also Pangoro is no longer disappointing!

Most moves in that list seem to have been move tutor moves previously. Focus Punch however, doesn't seem to have ever been, just as an example. I'm really hopeful that these are move tutors in the game. I just REALLY want Knock Off for Weavile.

lupinko

Most moves in that list seem to have been move tutor moves previously. Focus Punch however, doesn't seem to have ever been, just as an example. I'm really hopeful that these are move tutors in the game. I just REALLY want Knock Off for Weavile.

Yeah I know but I just wanted to point out moves like Double-edge and Seismic Toss remain Gen 3 exclusive.

Teknoman

XY's legendary bird chase just makes me mad. Honestly any game with a legendary chase where they pop on different routes annoys me. Of course its just Articuno for me, and I really want Zapdos more than anything (always liked it most of the 3).

XY's legendary bird chase just makes me mad. Honestly any game with a legendary chase where they pop on different routes annoys me. Of course its just Articuno for me, and I really want Zapdos more than anything (always liked it most of the 3).

At least you don't have to catch them as a roaming Pokemon.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Nope.

I already got a code thanks to a kind soul in the other thread.

Oh hey it's Clemont ep today where he reunites with a Luxio!

Firestorm

Speaking of which, I think I'll do another tournament post-launch again. Likely starting very early January with rules announced once TPCi announces them. I think it went fairly well last time!

lupinko

So apparently in LG I got a Rash Raikou, and going by that pastebin, there are still gen 3 only moves.

There's Double Edge, Body Slam, and Mimic, and based on what I tested, it's HP Steel.

But it would have Swag, any ideas on a Rash Raikou with Swagger?

Lol why did I think Swagger was special haha.

A body slam Raikou with swagger?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think the standard online rated battle ban list goes something like this:

Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, Diancie, Hoopa, Volcanion

VGC rules last year banned any Pokémon not native to Kalos and not in the Kalos Pokédex, in addition to Mewtwo, Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde.

Smogon bans all kinds of shit to Ubers.

Smogons ban list doesn't ban "all kinds of shit"; it bans:

The Pokemon Aegislash, Arceus, Blaziken, Darkrai, Deoxys, Deoxys-A, Deoxys-D, Deoxys-S, Dialga, Genesect, Giratina, Giratina-O, Groudon, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Kyurem-W, Lugia, Mewtwo, Palkia, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Shaymin-S, Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zekrom.

The items Gengarite, Kangaskhanite, Lucarionite, and Mawilite.

The move Swagger.

Note that it actually bans less Pokemon than standard on-line play does; compare to Nintendo's own banlist of:

The Pokemon Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Deoxys-A, Deoxys-D, Deoxys-S, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Giratina-O, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Shaymin-S, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Kyurem-W, Kyurem-B, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, and Diancie.

Even if you include the four Megas banned by Smogon, Smogon's list is still less restrictive than standard on-line play, by 29 distinct formes/Megas to 36.

I mean, you can argue with the merits of individual bans made by Smogon, yes - for my part, I think that there are possibly one or two bans which were over-reactive. However, to characterize the list as a whole as trigger-happy is just wrong.

Teknoman

Watching Pokemon Origin for the first time. This is SO much better than anything i've seen anime wise from Pokemon...well...ever. Surprised they actually use cries instead of names too. Shows kinda how violent these fights actually are (that Squirtle bite o_o).

EDIT: Why would you ban Blaziken or for that matter those other mega stones? Kangaskhanite I can sorta understand (double moves?) but the rest seem odd.

Watching Pokemon Origin for the first time. This is SO much better than anything i've seen anime wise from Pokemon...well...ever. Surprised they actually use cries instead of names too. Shows kinda how violent these fights actually are (that Squirtle bite o_o).

EDIT: Why would you ban Blaziken or for that matter those other mega stones? Kangaskhanite I can sorta understand (double moves?) but the rest seem odd.

Speedboost on a pokemon that can be viably run as a sweeper is ridiculous. If you can stall a bit, you have very little to no need for speed investment because 2 turns later you outspeed absolutely every threat in the game without giving up turns to boost (and give the opponent momentum).

Teknoman

Speedboost on a pokemon that can be viably run as a sweeper is ridiculous. If you can stall a bit, you have very little to no need for speed investment because 2 turns later you outspeed absolutely every threat in the game without giving up turns to boost (and give the opponent momentum).

Thats a valid point, I guess I never realized that speed boost was it's ability since i've never used Mega Blaziken.

Caladrius

To add onto this, Mega Gengar is exceptionally good at trapping and killing most pokemon to the point where a semi-competent player can at the very least get a guaranteed KO on 1 pokemon and a good shot at severely crippling another before getting taken down.

The only 2 bans I really find questionable are Mega Mawile and Aegislash. The latter seems like it requires great prediction not to get murdered and the former is only particularly great because of sucker punch.

There was one other banned Mega but I don't remember which that was. Lucario-M?

injurai

Banned
aY2ewQb.gif

To add onto this, Mega Gengar is exceptionally good at trapping and killing most pokemon to the point where a semi-competent player can at the very least get a guaranteed KO on 1 pokemon and a good shot at severely crippling another before getting taken down.

The only 2 bans I really find questionable are Mega Mawile and Aegislash. The latter seems like it requires great prediction not to get murdered and the former is only particularly great because of sucker punch.

There was one other banned Mega but I don't remember which that was. Lucario-M?

I actually stopped playing singles so I can't comment on most of the current meta, but Mega Mawile isn't as terrifying as people seem to think. A huge number of pokemon cause OHKO it or dent it pretty severely, and it's really not that amazing. That said, these weaknesses are more pronounced in doubles (where it's probably the strongest pokemon in the meta) so maybe in singles it's significantly worse.

**Also why the hell would they ban aegislash lol? It's only really strong when you have good momentum, otherwise it's a liability. Honestly think it's pretty lackluster at top level play (though I constantly misplay into it, tbf)

**Also why the hell would they ban aegislash lol? It's only really strong when you have good momentum, otherwise it's a liability. Honestly think it's pretty lackluster at top level play (though I constantly misplay into it, tbf)

I honestly can't see Aegislash being used at all in singles because he'll be locked into alternating between an attacking move and king's shield. If he's not being used as an offensive pokemon, then it's a staller with substitute and toxic. Aegislash is a different story in double/triple battle. I personally use one as a late-game support/sweeper. I play triple battle and my opponents tend to ignore my aegislash at the end, usually causing them the match.

Sora_N

I didn't have a GB/C for a while, don't know what happened to my GBC and my GB died.

I just picked up a cheap GBA today and tried out my old games.

Pokemon Silver save died I think.

But my Pokemon Yellow, and Pinball were fine.

I load my Pokemon Yellow save and I really can't remember what I was doing at that point (68 hours in). Have Lvl 81 Pikachu, 71 Alakazam, 100 Scyther, and all 3 birds at Lv 50. So much nostalgia lol.

Boogiepop

So the guy at Gamestop gave me a code card for Diancie in addition to Shiny Gengar. Should I/do I have to wait till the promotion officially starts to use that? Don't want to risk screwing it up and having to go to Gamestop again on the off chance that's a possibility.

lupinko

So the guy at Gamestop gave me a code card for Diancie in addition to Shiny Gengar. Should I/do I have to wait till the promotion officially starts to use that? Don't want to risk screwing it up and having to go to Gamestop again on the off chance that's a possibility.

I'm going to say yes wait because the serial code doesn't unlock anything in the game, it downloads the wondercard from Nintendo's servers. So I wouldn't want to void the code if I were you.

Avixph

You can probably already use it, the date on the card is to tell the game store employee when to distribute it.

Boss Doggie

IKVWUed.png

oh hey

origins is crap actually, but I'd save my explanations later

Boss Doggie

it's okay, they're just lazy, or that the distributor used those names lol

We use english names (since we play US version) but most merch here come from Japan but probably distributed by another country (I think Taiwan, HK, or China?) and they probably do the romanization

Top Bottom