• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Avixph

NWgpvaD.jpg

lupinko

I wish that event Pokemon had perfect IVs, or at least were assured 3 perfect IVs. I guess I'll just keep soft reseting till I get a good Shiny Gengar.

Thanks again Avixph!

Event pokemon do have guaranteed 3 perfect IVs but they are only limited to mythical (event legendaries). My Japanese and Taiwanese movie Diancies do as do my Shiny Japanese Jirachis and my Korean Movie Jirachis.

Regiruler

The Pokemon Company doesn't trust/like foreign markets sorry. :(

Japan still has local wireless at in person events and movie theatres in tandem with serial code dlc.
I'm confused: how does that have any impact on receiving via wireless as opposed to distribution via code?

Why de-streamline the process? I could just be missing something here.

lupinko

I thought events did have 3 guaranteed IVs?
Or is that just in-game legendaries.

It's only for Legendaries, ingame and event.

Well I'm talking about this Shiny Gengar.

I know what you meant, but part of your statement was in general so for those curious about otherwise that's their answer. Like the above quote.

I'm confused: how does that have any impact on receiving via wireless as opposed to distribution via code?

Well I was just partly joking about the pokemon company hating the rest of the world.

It's probably just for whatever distribution deals they have arranged in each market.

For example gamestop probably wants people to go into the store rather than just grab it outside via local wireless.

Also some stores don't prepare like GAME, when they didn't plan properly for their Charizard distro which happened the same time as the Fancy Pattern Vivillon (causing issues with the wifi distribution or whatever). I only read about the latter.

Caladrius

either A: Retailers were losing interest because people just went to the store to download the pogeyman and leave

or B: they're trying to get rid of any logistics problems distribution cartridges might have presented.

Busaiku

I think the switch to codes was for a couple of reasons.
Now the store doesn't have to always have a unit set up for that specific purpose. This setup also frequently encountered issues, due to latency troubles, or some other random junk.
You have to pick them up at the register. This allows for more interaction with the store employees and the customer, since previously, you could even get the Pokemon without ever going in.

JoeM86

I wish that event Pokemon had perfect IVs, or at least were assured 3 perfect IVs. I guess I'll just keep soft reseting till I get a good Shiny Gengar.

Thanks again Avixph!

Do remember, we're not meant to have perfect IVs. The only reason it's easier now is because they want to try and stop the amount of cheating and hacking, but alas...people are lazy so it'll still be there.

They should have implemented an upper cap on IVs so you could only have say 3 perfect.

either A: Retailers were losing interest because people just went to the store to download the pogeyman and leave

or B: they're trying to get rid of any logistics problems distribution cartridges might have presented.

B. Places were not sending distribution cards back, selling them on eBay continually. Also places were locking the distribution card unless someone pre-ordered the game. Unfortunately they're doing this with codes. Japan has local distributions still, since the distribution card issue doesn't exist over there, but it does over here. Plus the fact that, again only in the west, people were trying to get events without going into the store.

Oh yeah, having the carts were definitely a problem. Especially since at least with the DS ones they were easily dumpable and releasable onto the internet.

Though I still think the codes basically feels like an archaic method especially these days where there's some sort of wide spread method like through the internet, hmmmmmmm

JoeM86

Oh yeah, having the carts were definitely a problem. Especially since at least with the DS ones they were easily dumpable and releasable onto the internet.

Though I still think the codes basically feels like an archaic method especially these days where there's some sort of wide spread method like through the internet, hmmmmmmm

Events don't exist to distribute Pokémon. The idea is for them to be a meet for players to be there to battle and trade. People continually seem to forget this and just throw the "it should be online" argument. Throwing them online removes context for most events.

WiFi can be done for various events like the Pumpkaboo where context is irrelevant, or repeats of Mythicals as were done last year. However, for most events, it doesn't fit. These are meant to be big things to go to.

Do remember, we're not meant to have perfect IVs. The only reason it's easier now is because they want to try and stop the amount of cheating and hacking, but alas...people are lazy so it'll still be there.

They should have implemented an upper cap on IVs so you could only have say 3 perfect.

Well the current nature of IVs makes it so you can only compete with perfect IVs.
An IV cap would be interesting, but the rest of the stats that aren't perfect would have to be quite a bit lower, maybe have it so IVs have a total number that they add up to like EVs.

Events don't exist to distribute Pokémon. The idea is for them to be a meet for players to be there to battle and trade. People continually seem to forget this and just throw the "it should be online" argument. Throwing them online removes context for most events.

WiFi can be done for various events like the Pumpkaboo where context is irrelevant, or repeats of Mythicals as were done last year. However, for most events, it doesn't fit. These are meant to be big things to go to.
Context is easy, release the event legendaries on wi-fi when the movie airs on TV, run ads on the TV station during the movie to tell people to download the Pokemon from that date to a certain date.
In store events simply don't work here.

lupinko

At least the Diancies for the west are actually free, I had to buy a movie ticket and sit through that drek of a movie to get mine, ugh.

lupinko

B. Places were not sending distribution cards back, selling them on eBay continually. Also places were locking the distribution card unless someone pre-ordered the game. Unfortunately they're doing this with codes. Japan has local distributions still, since the distribution card issue doesn't exist over there, but it does over here. Plus the fact that, again only in the west, people were trying to get events without going into the store.

Quick google search is just that.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=pokemon+distribution&_frs=1

Seriously, that's crazy.

You know, I've been thinking about this for a bit and I think it'd be fun to do. Let's say Z version comes out either next year or early 2016. You get to pick 3 Pokemon from each of the 6 generations to give a Mega (the Gen VI starters and legendaries don't count, we'll just assume they'll get Megas anyways), these will be the only new Megas in the game, who do you pick? If you want to give reasons for some of your choices or ideas to what could change with that Pokemon visually or gameplay wise that would be awesome too!
I'll start

Gen I
1. Butterfree - Beedrill has one now, so Butterfree should get one.
2. Machamp - All the other trade evolutions from Gen I have one except Machamp and Golem, Machamp is my favorite of the 2. It could also tie in with Pokken.
3. Dragonite - All the Pseudo Legendaries from Gens II-IV have Megas, time for the original to get one!

Gen II
1. Octillery - This is one of my favorite Pokemon designs, but I've never really used one. An awesome Mega could change that.
2. Lugia - Chances are any new version mascot Megas(or equivalents like Primals) for old games will come in remakes, Lugia missed that boat.
3. Ho-Oh - Same reason as Lugia.

Gen III
1. Exploud - One of my personal favorite Pokemon and it saw a nice boost in XY, I'd like to see that continue.
2. Flygon - I don't think I need to give a reason.
3. Milotic - Often seen as the opposite to Gyarados, time to become equal again.

Gen IV
1. Spiritomb - Awesome Pokemon, a boost to its defenses would make it an awesome wall. Alternatively they could turn its stats upside down and make it a strong and fast attacker.
2. Toxicroak
3. Magnezone - GIVE IT LEVITATE!

Gen V
1. Chandelure - I can just imagine it turning into a super ornate chandelier.
2. Haxorus - My absolute favorite Pokemon, I love Haxorus to death!
3. Braviary - 'Murica

Gen VI
1. Pyroar - A Pokemon I had wanted for so long, it just needs a little boost to be more usable.
2. Sylveon - The first Fairy type, this could also be the beginning of Eeveelutions getting Megas in the future.
3. Goodra - It makes sense to give the Pseudo of Gen VI a Mega in the third version.

I would love to read who everyone else comes up with!

You know, I've been thinking about this for a bit and I think it'd be fun to do. Let's say Z version comes out either next year or early 2016. You get to pick 3 Pokemon from each of the 6 generations to give a Mega (the Gen VI starters and legendaries don't count, we'll just assume they'll get Megas anyways), these will be the only new Megas in the game, who do you pick? If you want to give reasons for some of your choices or ideas to what could change with that Pokemon visually or gameplay wise that would be awesome too!
I'll start
I would love to read who everyone else comes up with!

Don't need that many. Quagsire, Marowak, Grumpig, Gogoat. nothing else would be as good.

** I'll actually expand since I have a minute. All of these pokemon are fine, but entirely outclassed by something else. Unfortunately, marowak wouldn't really work cause it needs it's thick club, but the others here would go from being outclassed pokemon to a more specialized viable variety. On the whole it's pokemon at this level that I think could use the megas most. Butterfree, octillery, and exploud are really good choices from your list as well.

Magnus

Is here a way to shortcut to Fly in X/Y or other HM moves for that matter?

Coming back to the game after a year and I've forgotten. Seem to remember it being less cumbersome than having to go into the menu, pick a Mon, choose Moves, and then pick Fly. lol

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Is here a way to shortcut to Fly in X/Y or other HM moves for that matter?

Coming back to the game after a year and I've forgotten. Seem to remember it being less cumbersome than having to go into the menu, pick a Mon, choose Moves, and then pick Fly. lol
pokeball -> cd icon

Finally trying out the ORAS demo and my god, they made the walk and running animation so smooth now it just feels more natural than whats in XY. I guess we can look forward to that in Z version right?

what is the requirement for someone in the US getting a code? cause i got one this morning and when i looked it up online i didn't exactly fit in.

Codes will be distributed at select cinema locations nationwide from Nov. 7–Nov. 13 (while supplies last).
Check with your local retailer during the holidays to find out about special demo code giveaways (while supplies last).

Get a code with your purchase of the new Pokémon Art Academy game (out Oct. 24) when you buy from Nintendo eShop on your Nintendo 3DS or 2DS system.
You’ll also get a code with your purchase of one of two classic Pokémon games coming to the Virtual Console service on Nintendo eShop: the Pokémon Puzzle Challenge game (out Nov. 6) or the Pokémon Trading Card Game (out Nov. 13). You'll find your free demo code on your eShop receipt (download codes available while supplies last).

Codes will be emailed the week of Oct. 31 to select Nintendo customers with Nintendo Network IDs who have signed up to receive promotional emails from Nintendo.

Codes will also be distributed during the holiday mall tour from Nov. 24‒Dec. 21 at 16 different locations throughout the nation. Talk to a staff member to try out Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire or any of the featured Nintendo 3DS games to receive two codes—one for you, and one for a friend (while supplies last).

Check back soon for a list of tour locations.

what is the requirement for someone in the US getting a code? cause i got one this morning and when i looked it up online i didn't exactly fit in.

The Pokemon Company's site (can't even remember the name) has a program to email out codes as well which I don't believe is in that snippet. That might be where you got it.

Regiruler

I'm just wondering in general when we'll get another wifi event for a legendary at all.

I liked how for Gen IV they gave away the event items over wifi for the in-game encounter, while the promo versions of them with the special moves were the only exclusives to keep retailers happy.

Although making the Regigigas needed for the 3 Platinum Ruins event-exclusive was kind of a jerk move. It's the one pokemon I won't move out of Gen IV, because I want the ruins to open if I replay platinum.

Gotten the newsletter email while at work. Now at home and I'm downloading the demo now. It also gives me a pokemon tcgo code too which I'm more than happy to use lol.

Got the Newsletter. Oddly enough it says I recieved it at ~9:30 EST but it just showed up in my box. Wonder what the deal is. putting it into the eshop as I type.

Man, I'm not convinced of Mega Swampert. He just looks too weird. I'm still gonna pick Mudkip, but he just looks so funny...

I guess I could pick Torchic or Treecko and then send the 5IV Mudkip I have in the bank over, as well. Or I can let him grow on me. :lol

Just getting into the demo, but so far it seems like an upgrade comparable to DP -> HGSS. Very impressed. Am I right that the remakes are done by a different team? I thought I'd heard that somewhere. If true B team should really be A team.

**Also why the hell does grovyle only have physical moves.

So ORAS still suffers from some poorly tiled/too small textures, but overall the game looks better. Animation is a bit better as well. Music is faithful to the original though I wish they'd have used more brass. Hyped.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
DPPt had great sidequests. Didn't HGSS also have sidequests for that special pichu and such? Was a great feature. I can hardly motivate myself to get the event Gengar when I can just breed myself a better one .-.

This is the reason I don't bother with event pokemon anymore. I just can't care when it's just a give away and there's no sidequest that comes with it.

So ORAS still suffers from some poorly tiled/too small textures, but overall the game looks better. Animation is a bit better as well. Music is faithful to the original though I wish they'd have used more brass. Hyped.

It's a lack of texture filtering that makes the textures look weird.

Just mentioning again that if anybody here has any spare JP demo codes I'm willing to trade my US code for it.

This is the reason I don't bother with event pokemon anymore. I just can't care when it's just a give away and there's no sidequest that comes with it.

Yeah, we haven't gotten anything cool since Victini's BW1 event, right?

It's a lack of texture filtering that makes the textures look weird.

no, no. I'm talking about textures that are too easily like... noticeable when tiled. For example, it's difficult to see where the ground (grass) texture is tiled. The water and the vertical rocks, however, you can very easily see where they repeat.

no, no. I'm talking about textures that are too easily like... noticeable when tiled. For example, it's difficult to see where the ground (grass) texture is tiled. The water and the vertical rocks, however, you can very easily see where they repeat.

I think that might have been on purpose in this game to make it look more like the original games, but who knows honestly.

Top Bottom