• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

yami4ct

Why should I have to go out of my way to make the game harder? The game should be designed around those items. There really should just be a difficulty option.

These games have never been hard nor were they designed to be, given their intended audience. I wouldn't be opposed to a Challenge Mode akin to what B/W(2?) had. Seems like a good idea, especially as a good chunk of their audience keeps aging and wants a more challenging experience.

These games have never been hard nor were they designed to be, given their intended audience. I wouldn't be opposed to a Challenge Mode akin to what B/W(2?) had. Seems like a good idea, especially as a good chunk of their audience keeps aging and wants a more challenging experience.

exactly
someone needs to tell Gamefreak that their audiance has flip flopped
kids play FPS and COD, teens and adults play Nintendo and Pokemon
everything you know is now a lie Gamefreak

Why should I have to go out of my way to make the game harder? The game should be designed around those items. There really should just be a difficulty option.

You hardly have to go out of your way to do those things. It's simply the nature of the game that your own choices will affect the difficulty level. People who soft reset for an Adamant Torchic in X/Y and then proceed to steamroll the game with a perfectly EV trained Mega Blaziken and complain it's too easy... that's just baffling to me.

yami4ct

exactly
someone needs to tell Gamefreak that their audiance has flip flopped
kids play FPS and COD, teens and adults play Nintendo and Pokemon
everything you know is now a lie Gamefreak

I wouldn't got as far to say "flip flopped". I'd be willing to surmise that the majority of the audience is still kids. There is a significant enough adult fanbase now that it's probably worth making some adjustments for.

Vylash

honestly the only difficulty increases i'd want is stronger pokemon for grunts, honestly stronger pokemon for trainers in general, even gym leaders are pushovers these days

Whitney_Opening.png

200px-Norman_Slaking.png

where are your successors? :(

Firestorm

Yeah, that stuff is just not happening for me. Over here in Michigan, we don't ever really get anything like that close. Occasionally something is in Indianapolis and I can drive. Even if it was, wouldn't be worth it just for the ET. As for someone in my town, I actually don't get any Street Passes in the small town I'm at most of the time. I get a few every once in a while at college, but it's like 1/10 Pokemon players and the chances of those having Eon Ticket are as close to zero as possible.

Honestly, this is something that works for Japan, but it's just not feasible for the US. Luckily HomePass relay stuff exists and someone will setup some relays just for Eon Ticket as soon as it starts hitting I suspect. I like the idea, but reality just defeats the entire purpose. A special shiny, as I said, would make way more sense for both sides. The Street Pass distribution kind of guarantees local leagues won't see as large a benefit as they could and it locks people who don't have events in their areas out of actual content. All this before you take into account that Street Pass has already been broken wide open and people will just distribute it online anyway.
Ah yeah my friend lives in Saginaw and he has told me that there's not too much around there. I know Grand Rapids had a tournament earlier this month and is likely to have more in the near future at least if that's close by to you. As for Indianapolis, even though I assume you'll have your Eon Ticket by then I definitely recommend going to the US National Championships in July. Events of that scale for Pokémon are always cool to be around! It has grown every year. Not every day you get to be in a building with 1000+ other Pokémon fans from around the country. I keep paying $550 round trip on an annual basis to go to friggin' Indianapolis for a reason I guess x.x

Also I think the idea works great in cities in North America just like in Japan. You aren't supposed to necessarily have it day 1. Just eventually in the first month or two. I expect anyone who cares enough will have one easily in the first week in my city for example. It's more rural areas or places with low populations which are the problem.

yami4ct

Ah yeah my friend lives in Saginaw and he has told me that there's not too much around there. I know Grand Rapids had a tournament earlier this month and is likely to have more in the near future at least if that's close by to you. As for Indianapolis, even though I assume you'll have your Eon Ticket by then I definitely recommend going to the US National Championships in July. Events of that scale for Pokémon are always cool to be around! It has grown every year. Not every day you get to be in a building with 1000+ other Pokémon fans from around the country. I keep paying $550 round trip on an annual basis to go to friggin' Indianapolis for a reason I guess x.x

Also I think the idea works great in cities in North America just like in Japan. You aren't supposed to necessarily have it day 1. Just eventually in the first month or two. I expect anyone who cares enough will have one easily in the first week in my city for example. It's more rural areas or places with low populations which are the problem.

I'll keep an eye out for any tournaments in GR. It's a bit of a trip, between 1-2 hours drive, but if I keep trying out playing competitively, I'll totally check it out. I think I'd have a ton of fun.

As for Indy, I would love to go, but I just can't justify it just for pokemon. Pokemon is too low on my hobbies list to consider it, but it'd be super cool I'm sure.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
All these people shitting on Flare.

EDIT

XY54: Malamar vs Inkay
XY55: The Weakest Dragon Ever. Enter Goomy
XY56: Dedenne Does It's Best! All for Goomy!
XY57: Vanillite Panic! A Freezing Whiteout!!
XY58: Coumarine Gym Match! Frogadier VS Gogoat
XY59: Ash and Serena's first date!? The Tree of Promise and Present!
XY60: Aim to Become Kalos Queen! Serena's Grand Debut!!

AHAHAHAH

Regiruler

When was Pokemon EVER challenging? I remember soloing G/S/C with a Feraligatr that had 3 water moves.

Turn off Exp Share, box the Lati@s, don't use Megas and keep grinding to a minimum. There's your challenge if you want it so badly.
Even then, XY was absurdly easy. PTHGSS had some of the best balancing in the series, with B2W2 challenge mode being the pinnacle.

Even the number of gym leader Pokemon is an relatively painless difficulty change. Leader 8 shouldn't have only 3 Pokemon.

Wanace

If you want more of a challenge, go to options, change the battle mode from "Switch" to "Set" or whatever it is.

Boom. Battles become harder. You don't get a free switch anymore.

I would appreciate more of a challenge as a baseline though. But I never play Pokemon for the single player mode's challenge, it's all about post-game and battles with other players.

So Amazon just told me they are shipping my Dual Pack for ORAS today. Still expected delivery on Friday but hey, that's cool.

Though it doesn't look like the ORAS guide will actually get to me on release date. Oh boy, wonder if the same thing will happen with the X/Y guide.

0.0 maybe Johto replaced Battle Frontier
and hes talking to professor Elm

Stop... no... don't make me wish for things that might not happen! >_<

But in all seriousness, I highly doubt Johto is in... If they promo spoiled the Delta Episode, I feel like they'd spoil Johto as well. It'll probably be that you get a Gen 2 starter in the post-game, unfortunately... (Prove me wrong, Nintendo! PLEASE!)

The bottom screen is a bag sitting in the grass like the start of the game. I'm calling fake.

Very true, sadly... If not a well edited fake, it could be a hack or something.

Regiruler

If you want more of a challenge, go to options, change the battle mode from "Switch" to "Set" or whatever it is.

Boom. Battles become harder. You don't get a free switch anymore.

I would appreciate more of a challenge as a baseline though. But I never play Pokemon for the single player mode's challenge, it's all about post-game and battles with other players.

I have done this since BW. Every story-based player worth their salt does it.
The games slowly condensing into a multiplayer simulator is immensely boring, as there becomes very little different between games.

yami4ct

So is GameFreak eliminating the game corner as some anti-gambling thing? I honestly don't care too much for it, as long as they make Porygon and the other items are made readily available in other ways, but it's definitely a kind of funny thing to do.

Wanace

I have done this since BW. Every story-based player worth their salt does it.
The games slowly condensing into a multiplayer simulator is immensely boring, as there becomes very little different between games.

I agree. The gym leaders need to be badassed mofos and the Elite 4 and Champion should have teams of 6 Pokemon based on their type but with the strength of a Battle Tower team.

Top Bottom