• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

JIGGLYPUFF AIN'T SUPPOSED TO TWIST LIKE THAT, MAN

d97.png

lupinko

Some updates for PokeGAF from PokeJapanGAF

The Pokemon Center ORAS Mega Evolution Eggs are actually region locked unlike other events because it requires you to get the eggs from the internet as opposed to local wireless in the store. This is because it's a random selection from five different eggs so that is more advanced for a local wireless toggle for the typical switcheroo like Mega Tokyo Event Shinies Yzard and Pikachu. The PCs are also giving away unlimited O-Powers in store for you to hatch the event eggs. If you do it in store you get an instruction pamphlet/mini poster of said mon. I didn't do this because well I don't need the extra clutter. With that said, if one didn't have anything better to do, said person could just hatch their own eggs using the store's unlimited O-Powers. While the event eggs are exclusive to ORAS-JPN, the O-Powers iirc are for all versions and regions.

I finally got around in wanting to get Tretta Rotom and got another (well two) extra tretta mon to go with my Movie Diancie tretta, I got Braixen but the second time I got Mew from the vending machine. But unfortunately the Tretta Rotom event is limited to a specific Tretta Arcade Game, which most places I frequent have already replaced. So while the date is ongoing for the event, if no place has said machine, then it's over. Oh well, I'll be prepared I guess if they should do this again, I figure for the 2015 movie I'll get one for Hoopa or something this summer.

The Unova HA Starter events are farmable and if anyone is interested I don't mind trading some.

I'm also working on finishing up my 5th set of PokeScrap Event Shaymin/Keldeo/Victini. Event keeps on going until April, debating on stopping at 5 sets or go do a Hateful 8 or Sinister Six, I dunno. No more sandwiches so I have to buy TCG packs. I'm actually surprised how cheap they are in Japan and how many holofoils I get on average. I haven't played the TCG since it came out when I was in 7th or 8th grade. Unlike then, I actually am considering on taking up the TCG now or maybe not. The cards are really nice though! haha

And I picked up a used copy of Japanese Black 2 (to complement my Japanese Black) for Y980. I use my North American Black 2 to farm Dream Radar Legendaries. Also I basically gambled on the hope the used JPN game would have a completed save for me to unlock my NA White 2's System Keys. The game did indeed have a completed save, and I have transferred my pair of Emerald Shiny Rayquazas along with my W2 DR Ho-Oh and Palkia for fun in this other player's game. Really it's to level up the latter two arbitrarily before I transfer them up to Gen 6 to be re-EV trained. Also I want to unlock the other Regi key in my W2 game. And I found out both region games are compatible (but not compatible with the other region's 3DS due to DSi stuff I guess?) and can do the system key swap. It's a bummer that the B2 Key doesn't transfer along with the unlock as I wanted to wipe the JPN B2 and restart later playing the game from start with Challenge Mode on. I don't have an action replay so it might not be for awhile until I can play a straight up Challenge Mode Run. I hate you GameFreak for doing this.

Anyway enough rambling, besides the legendaries this player had caught so far (Regis, Pixie trio, Cress and Heatran not yet caught), there was this other stuff left in the cart. =)

xrK0Hbgl.jpg

xTZkfFQ.jpg

Naughty
RCJd3lll.jpg

Rash
qmrExr8l.jpg

Naughty
jz2PjRRl.jpg

Timid (locked with guaranteed 2 31IVs iirc)
pRVDoBWl.jpg

R0gbaENl.jpg

Hasty (locked with guaranteed 2 31IVs iirc)
PYyPyukl.jpg

It's great because they're real and not the clones floating around on the internet (I'm looking at you PokEdit). I can also finally dump said clones later on. =)

And yeah I did get a Substitute Plushie (it's the current new release for the month/week/whatever). I've seen those sleeping Kalos starters, they're roughly a little over $50 each. Tempted on the Chespin, but eh probably not. The aforementioned Tretta Braixen and Mew came from said Gachapon Great and Master Balls you see there. I thought about getting more to use in my elementary school lessons but eh again probably not. Already lucky with getting Mew on the second try alone.

And as for the PokeGAF ORAS tourney prizes, I didn't forget, I'll get around to the prizes soon, ugh been terribly busy lately and the time difference doesn't help either.

lupinko

Sometimes, I think plushies are the best wallet-crushers.

Also, I stopped feeling Christmas-y. Cause it's already mid-January.

Yeah I've got:

PokeDoll Jirachi
PokeDoll Manaphy
PokeDoll Darkrai
PokeDoll Victini
PokeDoll Diancie
Pokemon Center Sleeping Snorlax (got via 7-11 last chance lottery)
Mega Tokyo Pikayzard
Substitute Pokemon

I did buy a big sleeping Pikachu but that was for my nephew.

But plushies can kill your wallet the fastest.

I just grabbed my Contrary Serperior off the online event gift thingy via a code. Hmm...

Well, at least this cuddly snake exists now. Now to think of uses...

lupinko

I definitely want to use those event mon I got from that used Black 2.

I'm looking at EVs:

Naughty 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Haven't decided on either Keldeo yet, but for Meloetta I definitely want to use it.

Naughty with above spreads
Relic Song STAB Forme Change
Close Combat STAB P Forme
Zen Headbutt STAB A Forme Flinch Chance
Thunder / Thunderbolt / Shadow Ball

Meloetta is really gimmicky can be fun to use potentially.

The other option is dumping ZHB in favour of Psychic or Psyshock, leaving the fourth move to:

Ice Punch / Thunder Punch / Fire Punch / Shadow Claw.

Since it's still in gen 5 I can give it work up?

Too bad Meloetta can't learn Body Slam. :(

I normally play in triples and more likely doubles than singles so keep that in mind.

Edit: I figured it out for the most part but a bit of a mind blender on the fighting move.

Meloetta @ Assault Vest
Naughty 200 Atk / 56 SpA / 252 Spe
Relic Song STAB
Close Combat or Drain Punch STAB
Shadow Ball
Ice Punch

Assault Vest lets it stay longer in the game and to make up for the lower SpD. Relic Song and CC are stab in P-Forme. Former changes Forme with sleep chance and latter smashes everything not a ghost. Drain Punch does less damage but has STAB, doesn't reduce either see and gains health. Shadow Ball is your Ghost / Psychic Coverage with SpD decrease chance. And last is Ice Punch, more coverage than Thunderbolt, freeze chance is available, while the drop in damage from Tbolt and Thunder is apparent, coverage is better imo. Serene Grace helps too.

Ohnonono

I just started playing Pokemon Y, and my 6 year old is... mashing his way into Alpha Sapphire( he does not make much progress without my help but he grinds like a fiend.
I noticed the Safari thing in X and Y and wanted to know if this is the place to post my FC and get some from others to fill the thing up. I am no where near that point yet but just wanted to get some because I have never added a FC to my 3ds before and this seems to be the best reason to start!
My only experience with the games was that I played through platinum until I got the legendary on the box cover and then stopped. This time there seems to be more stuff to do in both games and certainly more incentive to actually capture more than 6 and then grind. It seems like between the two games there is a ton of stuff for my son and I to catch and trade but if the Safari Zone works like it sounds it basically just fills up more and more as long as you keep adding FC's. Seems like a good way to catch some stuff that might not be in my game or his. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Very excited about the new adventure. The new graphics and feel make this seem way more fun than Platinum was!

I just started playing Pokemon Y, and my 6 year old is... mashing his way into Alpha Sapphire( he does not make much progress without my help but he grinds like a fiend.
I noticed the Safari thing in X and Y and wanted to know if this is the place to post my FC and get some from others to fill the thing up. I am no where near that point yet but just wanted to get some because I have never added a FC to my 3ds before and this seems to be the best reason to start!
My only experience with the games was that I played through platinum until I got the legendary on the box cover and then stopped. This time there seems to be more stuff to do in both games and certainly more incentive to actually capture more than 6 and then grind. It seems like between the two games there is a ton of stuff for my son and I to catch and trade but if the Safari Zone works like it sounds it basically just fills up more and more as long as you keep adding FC's. Seems like a good way to catch some stuff that might not be in my game or his. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Very excited about the new adventure. The new graphics and feel make this seem way more fun than Platinum was!

Welcome (back) to the world of Pokémon! We don't bite for the most part. Hehe.

When you skip generations, the amount of new and changed things can be a bit overwhelming. I have been playing for several gens straight. Glad to hear that you're having a lot of fun!

In the meantime, feel free to hang out around here and do whatever you want, within reason, of course.

lupinko

Anyone in the community thread play the TCG? I'm sorta coming back into playing it after not playing since the Wizards of the Coast days in 7th-8th grade.

Since they stopped selling the sandwiches and the crackers aren't as common, I started buying Tidal Storm and Gaia Volcano packs, I've bought 29 so far and got 11 foils out of them:

Trevenant EX
Blaziken
Primal Groudon EX
Rhyperior
Hippowdon
Ludicolo
Primal Kyogre EX
Manaphy
Eelektross
Sharpedo EX
Mega Gardevoir EX

I also bought 3 Junipers and a foil Talonflame from I think the first XY set, Talonflame like the Primal Clash cards are all first editions. These purchased from a used game store that also does TCGs. For fun I'll try to look for a foil Juniper or something.

I also bought a box with energy. Right now the motivation is to get Pokescrap cards, though I already have 5 of Shaymin/Keldeo/Victini, technically on the way to a 6th set, although I might just either redeem the remainder for Master Balls though I don't use them.

I'm interested in playing and it would let me play with local Japanese players. I want to get that XY Dialga EX/Aegislash EX starter set since it's fairly cheap. I'd like to build a deck around Groudon or Kyogre. But the last time I played none of these rules existed. Like, I know you'd need X number of pokemon so the frequency of them turning up is raised, but there's so many different types of cards now. Also I noticed that you don't need to evolve depending on the card as some of the final evolutions I saw were already the base card. I saw that in the Charizard EX/Mega Charizard Y EX starter set.

I know I'll need Junipers/Sycamores, Ns, Skylas, etc...

Also I was wondering if you're limited to only having the same pokemon, like say I wanted to use Blaziken. Could I mix and match the third stage evolution from Primal Clash with the older ones? Or am I required to only have the same card X number of times?

It's really easy to get back into the TCG here in Japan vs Canada, mainly because I live near a Pokemon Center and the TCG cards are really cheap here compared to back home.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
hahahaha

Today is the day of a festival celebrated once a year in Hiyoku City. After hearing that giving a present to their Pokemon under the biggest tree in the city, the "Vow Tree", on this day will strengthen their mutual bond, Satoshi and Serena go shopping for presents. This is the first time the two of them have gone shopping all by themselves, without Citron, Eureka or even Pikachu around. Serena feels it's just like a date, and is secretly overjoyed about it.

Firestorm

Anyone in the community thread play the TCG? I'm sorta coming back into playing it after not playing since the Wizards of the Coast days in 7th-8th grade.
Yep I play and am quite involved with the local community in Vancouver (I made/maintain http://pokemonbc.com and am an admin on the Facebook group and page for BC).

For the most part, the rules haven't changed since Base Set. Only some changes. Supporters are a type of Trainer card that can only be played once per turn for example while Item cards can be used as much as you want.

It's the EX cards that are played as basics (it will say on the upper left) regardless of what the actual evolution level of the Pokemon is in the game.

Primal Groudon EX looks a bit better than Primal Kyogre EX I guess but I'm not really a fan of either. Groudon at least works well with some of the strong fighting types in the game right now like Landorus EX and Hawlucha.

The Steel deck is fun to play with Dialga EX, Aegislash EX, Cobalion EX, Cobalion, and Bronzong. Not sure if it gains anything with Primal Clash as I haven't paid as much attention to it.

Yes you'll want 4x Juniper, 4x N, 2-3x Lysandre, 2-3x VS Seeker in basically every deck. Colress is nice to have 1-2 of as is Skyla. You want like 2-3 Korrina if you run a fighting deck instead of Skyla.

You can mix and match Pokemon from different sets. You are allowed 4 cards of the exact same name. That's the only restriction. So you can have 2x Blaziken from one set and 2x Blaziken from another set. Heck you could even have 4x Hawlucha and 4x Hawlucha EX if you wanted because the EX makes it a different name.

How much are cards in Japan? I don't remember them being super cheap honestly. iirc there are 5 cards per pack there? It's 10 card boosters for $4 taxes in here (yikes which has dropped to only 376.01 Yen now... my poor CAD).

lupinko

Packs are ¥150 for 5 cards yes, but taxes are lower in this country, and I haven't bought cards since the Wizards first release days. My comparisons right now are from what I remember seeing before I left and currently what I can compare with online. So it's not the best but eh.

Tho I think theme decks are cheap. Iirc the theme decks for Dialga EX/Aegislash EX and Charizard EX/Mega Yzard EX are both less than ¥1000 each with taxes.

But that could also be the pokemon Center or hobby shops, japanese Walmart Seiyu sold the Charizard deck for a little more.

That's good to know about cards, then I just need another Blaziken from Primal Clash and pick up the other two Blaziken (Furious Fists) I saw from a different set at a hobby store. I think 2 FF and 2 PC Blaziken in a deck would be good variety and from what I can gather both cards are good.

Also the new Manaphy I got is pretty good since it lets me search the deck and reshuffle, makes it good for a water based deck or something. Kyogre Palkia ? I dunno haha.

But yeah the last time I played the game a lot was in the og first release wizards days and I ran a Blastoise deck. But like many kids I grew out of it and dumped all my cards (and gave away my Pokemon Blue to a cousin).

The new set is out this Friday and I'll go grab some.

Edit: I'll keep that in mind whenever I visit Van again, although I'll only be playing for fun, so pseudo competitively and no league stuff, and all my cards would be Japanese only. Lol

Firestorm

Nah the Blazikens are both pretty bad. You usually don't want many Stage 2 Pokemon in your deck as the game is too fast-paced for that. The ones that are used are usually ones with a good ability that can sit on the bench and help power up your other attackers (Blastoise was one before Tropical Beach rotated out making it harder to use). Japanese cards can't be used outside Japan.

lupinko

Oh ok good to know for the Blazikens. And that's one less stop on a visit home, heh.

I find it interesting it's like that in pokemon but in other games like Magic it's a non-issue.

I find it interesting it's like that in pokemon but in other games like Magic it's a non-issue.
You used to be able to use foreign cards if they were all in opaque sleeves (to hide the different backs) and you had the official reference all printed out and stuff. Then there was a transition year where you could use a limited number of foreign cards (I believe it was 6). Then they banned them entirely.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
that was the hypest gym battle

Ramos went full Smogon and used weather and status effects!

G5eiga1.gif
IfO3IMm.gif

can't wait for next week!

Top Bottom