• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

But they're not challenging at all. I appreciated the level gaps between the Kanto gym leaders. That was actually one of the better things about DPPt too - Cynthia's team is normally a fair few levels above yours, so you really have to think on your feet.

Challenge is ultimately subjective as it entirely depends on the strategies and amount of grinding you employ, but RBY's challenge always felt "fake" to me. The Gym Leaders more often than not had crap Pokémon with crap movesets and so had to compensate by outlevelling you by a good margin. BW on the other hand gives its leaders really varied movesets and strategies such as Elesa's Volt Changing whenever she's in a jam or Skyla using Tailwind to make her Skarmory into a speedy tank. As I said, the only thing holding Gen V's gyms back from true greatness is the bizarre size limitations on their teams, which allow you to brute-force your way to victory by bringing a full set. I sweat a few times while facing off against Unova's leaders though, while I've almost always swelt Kanto's with one advantaged Pokémon and have never once lost to them.

As I said, the only thing holding Gen V's gyms back from true greatness is the bizarre size limitations on their teams, which allow you to brute-force your way to victory by bringing a full set. I sweat a few times while facing off against Unova's leaders though, while I've almost always swelt Kanto's with one advantaged Pokémon and have never once lost to them.

I realized this after the first play through and vowed on any other play throughs to never bring in more Pokemon in a gym than I think the gym leader has (so usually a team of 3/4)

Challenge is ultimately subjective as it entirely depends on the strategies and amount of grinding you employ, but RBY's challenge always felt "fake" to me. The Gym Leaders more often than not had crap Pokémon with crap movesets and so had to compensate by outlevelling you by a good margin. BW on the other hand gives its leaders really varied movesets and strategies such as Elesa's Volt Changing whenever she's in a jam or Skyla using Tailwind to make her Skarmory into a speedy tank. As I said, the only thing holding Gen V's gyms back from true greatness is the bizarre size limitations on their teams, which allow you to brute-force your way to victory by bringing a full set. I sweat a few times while facing off against Unova's leaders though, while I've almost always swelt Kanto's with one advantaged Pokémon and have never once lost to them.

emolga.jpg

Fuck this thing.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

It wasn't about grinding. If you spent ages levelling to be the same level as the gym leaders in RBY, you were doing it wrong. They were supposed to be overlevelled, and you were supposed to find ways to deal with that. To be honest, given the atrocious AI in the Pokemon series, overlevelling is the only real challenge. Even in BW and BW2, Elesa and Skyla are just too "stupid" to really make effective use of what they have. The really difficult encounters in the series - Misty's Starmie, Whitney's Miltank, much of Cynthia's team - are usually overlevelled mons with noticeably higher stats than anything you've encountered so far, with a WTF move (Bubblebeam/Roll Out/all of Cynthia's team)

There's a guy on Smogon working on Technical Machine, an AI designed to play high-level competitive Pokemon. I'd kill to see something like that in the series. Hell, even XD and Colosseum had surprisingly sharp AI later on (although Revolution didn't), which could utilize relatively complex strategies. But in the mainline games, all of the trainers are just dumb - they can't make use of what movesets they have.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only one who actually tried to raise a team of 6 different, useful Pokemon as soon as possible? That's how I always played.

If you do that, the games fall apart to a large extent. For a fun playthrough, you really have to invent house rules which limit you in some way - that's what makes Nuzlocke runs so fun, I think.

If you do that, the games fall apart to a large extent. For a fun playthrough, you really have to invent house rules which limit you in some way - that's what makes Nuzlocke runs so fun, I think.

Actually going for a full team right away without grinding makes you much lower leveled, which can create some really tough situations later on.

Am I the only one who actually tried to raise a team of 6 different, useful Pokemon as soon as possible? That's how I always played.

That's been how I've played ever since I got too old to just power through with an overlevelled starter.

Maybe not the most challenging thing in the world, but satisfying all the same.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Actually going for a full team right away without grinding makes you much lower leveled, which can create some really tough situations later on.

If you mean straight away straight away, then yeah, I agree. Although Pokemon has an odd tendency for the midgame to be much harder than the endgame - either the 2nd or 3rd gym leader of a game is usually relatively the most difficult one.

backlot

That's sort of how I used to play. I'd take the first six Pokemon I caught and train them all evenly until I caught something better and replaced one of them. Then I realized how much EXP I was wasting.

MikeMyers

That's sort of how I used to play. I'd take the first six Pokemon I caught and train them all evenly until I caught something better and replaced one of them. Then I realized how much EXP I was wasting.

Yeah, I kinda just plan the 6 Pokemon I want to use, unless its my very 1st time playing the game and dont want to spoil things for me.

There are a few reasons why this doesn't work as well. The Striaton trio are teaching you a lesson you've already learnt. At this point in the game, you've fought Cheren, who uses the starter your starter is weak against, and Cheren's starter knows the relevant SE move (Ember/Vine Whip/Water Gun). If you were just using your starter up to this point, you'd have run into the Striaton trio already, which makes them just a repeat lesson - rather defunct.
There's no harm in explicitly teaching a lesson through visual example, rather than relying on the chance of an opponent using a move that is SE against a Pokemon that you might not even be using at the moment.
Lenora isn't a strong enough leader to force you to vary your coverage. Look at Yellow's Misty. She had a level 22 Starmie. That's base 100 Sp.Atk, 115 Spd, probably a good 6 or 7 levels above what you'll be on reaching Cerulean the first time, firing off STAB'd Bubblebeam which has more base power than any move you'll learn for a fair while. Misty is tough as nails without an Oddish/Bellsprout/Pikachu (unless you picked Bulbasaur). Lenora is not. Herdier and Watchog don't have the same threat level as Starmie, Lenora's team is a lower level, etc. The only real advantage Lenora has is STAB'd Retaliate, but it's only coming off base 85 ATK. You can brute force your through Lenora, which is a lot more difficult for Misty.
Gonna have to disagree here...

Misty
lv. 18 Staryu: Tackle/Water Gun
lv. 21 Starmie: Tackle/Water Gun/Harden/BubbleBeam

Lenora
lv. 18 Herdier: Leer/Bite/Take Down/Retaliate
lv. 20 Watchog: Leer/Crunch/Hypnosis/Retaliate

Now, on just levels alone, these teams are basically the same. In terms of moveset variety, there's no arguing here - Lenora's team clearly has more variety, and more dangerous options here, with much wider type coverage.

Using Retaliate as an example, it definitely hurts to have a 140 STAB Normal move coming at you, especially since there aren't many options to tank that hit at that point in the game (whereas in RBY, you could maybe resist BubbleBeam with any Water/Grass types you have). Even without Retaliate, if you don't have something that can immediately take care of Watchog you risk being put to sleep by Hypnosis, or being flinched by Crunch. Starmie is more one-dimensional with just having the weak Tackle as an alternative.

Using *team levels to that point in the game* as a comparison point, both gym leaders have a similar run up, level wise, before their cities. Mt. Moon has the lv. 8-11 range represented, as does Unova Route 3. Evenly trained teams will essentially be at similar levels before these gyms, with RBY holding the advantage in wild grinding due to the lack of experience scaling. There's a greater chance of a team being prepared level-wise for Misty than Lenora. BW in general has added challenge with the anti-grinding effect of exp scaling, forcing you to be a little bit more creative in team makeup.

To an extent. Unova Dex is shit for Fire types, though. Kanto is poor on Dragons and Ghost types, although back then Dragon was the "boss" type given no trainer prior to Lance ever uses a Dragon type and Dratini and Dragonair are extremely well hidden (Super Rod in Safari Zone with a difficult catch rate), so that's an excusable omission. Similarly, Ghost types were related to the Silph Scope.

The problem with actual Pokemon chosen, rather than typing, in the early gens, is not really the Kanto Dex's type variety, which is pretty good considering Kanto has a 150 dex and is somewhat on the smaller side, but more the fact gym leaders just seem to use 5 of the same Pokemon line for no apparent reason. That does bug me.
The Ghost type is one of the bigger problems in G1 because of that whole programming bug, as well as there being no actual attacking Ghost moves save for Lick. Similarly, Bug types were shafted due to being the designated weak type, only good for quick early evolutions and little else, as well as lacking any good moves. For this reason, Sabrina falls out of the whole "hard unless you find x Pokemon" lineup, because going to catch Gastly at Silph Tower is useless, and would put you at a disadvatage, due to all 3 Ghost Pokemon being weak to Psychic due to their typing. Because of this, it can hardly be said that RGBY has the perfect lineup of gym typings...

Speaking of "bosses", it's interesting how Dragon is resistant against the main types (Fire, Water, Grass, and Electric - starters plus Pikachu). However, there's nothing that would lead one to pick up that Dragons are weak against Ice types - I believe this is why Ice Cave was placed before Blackthorn City in GSC.

I'm pretty sure the GF in your name stands for "Good Fight," 'cause that's what you're fighting.

Pretty good arguments all around though. There's nothing like a good verbal sparring to keep the mind sharp.

Speaking specifically of G2, one of the advantages of GSC over RGBY which helped with gym lineups and were probably less obvious than the more clear things like adding Dark/Steel, were the expansion of move combinations and the additions of more complex move effects. In G1, moves were more straightforward and had only the lightest of connections with other moves:

Use Leer, lower defense. Follow up with physical move.
Use Amnesia, increase Special. Follow up with special move.

With Gen 2, you had such things like:

Use Earthquake on an opponent who has just used Dig to do double damage.
Use Mind Reader, then use a high-damage, low accuracy move like Dynamicpunch.
Use Defense Curl to double Rollout's effectiveness.
Use Minimize to increase Evasion, but watch out for Stomp!
Opponent uses Fly and you can't hit them? Use Thunder!

In G2, gym leaders' lineups were enhanced by these move combos, and the expanded movesets also helped fill in the weakness gaps over G1's reliance on typing-and-level-as-challenge. That is, the initial gym lineup was a little bit more richer and complex than in G1.

gosox333

BAM

I've never actually gotten four perfect IVs on one guy before. Wasn't even looking for the attack, but you bet I'll take it. Decent imperfects, too.

Feels so good to have a breeding session finally pay off.

Gen 1's gyms are easy. A properly leveled Butterfree powers through gym 1, 2, 4, 6, and 8, though by 8 you should have a water type with Surf - a level 30 Omastar can sweep gym 8. Butterfree also plows through most of the E4. Considering that it's Butterfree that is pretty sad.

BAM

I've never actually gotten four perfect IVs on one guy before. Wasn't even looking for the attack, but you bet I'll take it. Decent imperfects, too.

Feels so good to have a breeding session finally pay off.

I only see an empty box. D:

But yeah, I know that feeling. My Archeops actually has 4 31s, all in relevant stats. Only its Defense is lacking. I love the bugger. <3

harmonize

Now, on just levels alone, these teams are basically the same. In terms of moveset variety, there's no arguing here - Lenora's team clearly has more variety, and more dangerous options here, with much wider type coverage.
And in terms of stats, Watchog has a 420 base total while RBY Starmie clocks in at 535 in comparison, far higher than anything you can obtain up to that point sans grinding for a Gyarados that you might or might not know you can purchase before jumping over the ledge of no return. Having a somewhat more diverse movepool isn't going to save it against a second-stage starter with near identical stats, all of whom have FAR better moves by level 20 than their Gen I counterparts do at the same level, and being able to readily go back and obtain any Pokemon that you might deem necessary to defeat her.

Anecdotally speaking as somebody who never started with a Bulbasaur (and Lenora has the same problems with Pignite, who resists crunch and can learn arm thrust at 17), if you don't realize that you can obtain a Magikarp from some salesman in a Center you'll most likely only visit once before venturing into Mt. Moon, or a Pikachu that has a 5% encounter rate in a forest that has no in-game reason to run through more than once, you are going to have a difficult time with Misty and will most certainly have to continue through the Nugget Bridge to grab an Oddish/Bellsprout in order to defeat her. With Lenora, if you survive the one 140 retaliate Watchog can use (and with a detect from Patrat, there's not much reason not to), you might as well make room in your case for her badge right then and there.

MikeMyers

Butterfree can sweep Gym 2, 6 & 8? How does Butterfree beat Sabrina? It can't really do anything to Misty except status it. Giovanni also uses Rock moves in Yellow, and yeah Mega Drain is 4x effective but it has like 40 base power in RBY...

Zeroth

Same here. I still make this old mistakes, solely because I feel the game is more interesting that way. Although at some points I do change of pokemon, I generally stick with the earliest useful pokemon I get (for example, my main team on Pokemon XD consisted of my Eevolution, plus Purified Pokemons from the 6 color guys in front of the abandoned lab, though at later bits I kept around 3 shadow pokemons on my team since the enemies started using them more often).

Zeroth

I hate evolving the starters.
Why do they all have to evolve to such hideous things.

I always liked Torchic as a started, since evolving him to Combusken assured you could sweep the stone gym and his type combo leaves very few pokemons being able to fully block it. Same to Mudkip to an extend, though Treeko was cursed with staying Grass.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Since BW I stopped with the "lol overpowered starter", primarily because of the EXP trickle.

My BW2 team was Samurott, Lucario, Magnezone, Arcanine, Scrafty and Excadrill.

To clarify more, I'm talking about Lenora vs. Misty from the perspective of someone who has not gone through specific preparations - that is, players on the critical path, rather than those who went out of their way to explore.
And in terms of stats, Watchog has a 420 base total while RBY Starmie clocks in at 535 in comparison, far higher than anything you can obtain up to that point sans grinding for a Gyarados that you might or might not know you can purchase before jumping over the ledge of no return. Having a somewhat more diverse movepool isn't going to save it against a second-stage starter with near identical stats, all of whom have FAR better moves by level 20 than their Gen I counterparts do at the same level, and being able to readily go back and obtain any Pokemon that you might deem necessary to defeat her.
Well as a more direct comparison, you'd use the RBY BST, not the one with split Special (so 435 vs. 360). Also, the movesets are more diverse, but the average team level is going to be lower - there's a low chance someone goin through casually would take the time to slowly go to lv. 20 for all teammates before taking on Lenora, and if it's a single Pokemon power-through scenario, then it becomes essentially the same situation as RGBY.

And yes, you have access to better moves, but so does Lenora (compared to Misty).

Anecdotally speaking as somebody who never started with a Bulbasaur (and Lenora has the same problems with Pignite, who resists crunch and can learn arm thrust at 17), if you don't realize that you can obtain a Magikarp from some salesman in a Center you'll most likely only visit once before venturing into Mt. Moon, or a Pikachu that has a 5% encounter rate in a forest that has no in-game reason to run through more than once, you are going to have a difficult time with Misty and will most certainly have to continue through the Nugget Bridge to grab an Oddish/Bellsprout in order to defeat her. With Lenora, if you survive the one 140 retaliate Watchog can use (and with a detect from Patrat, there's not much reason not to), you might as well make room in your case for her badge right then and there.
"If" you survive, yes. However, this situation, like Misty, depends on the player obtaining knowledge either beforehand or after fighting both these leaders. They're generally going to be easier if you follow x tactic:

Misty:
-Start w/ Bulbasaur: Vine Whip Vine Whip Vine Whip
-No start with Bulbasaur: Oddish/Bellsprout/Pikachu
-Alternative: tank BubbleBeam

Lenora:
-Start w/ Tepig: Arm Thrust Arm Thrust Arm Thrust
-No start with Tepig: Detect Patrat/Timburr/Sawk/Throh
-Alternative: tank Retaliate, Crunch, avoid Hypnosis

But my point was more towards the general, when a player faces them with only basic preparation (general leveling). In that case, I'd argue that Lenora is still the tougher case, due to the reasons I gave.

Butterfree can sweep Gym 2, 6 & 8? How does Butterfree beat Sabrina? It can't really do anything to Misty except status it. Giovanni also uses Rock moves in Yellow, and yeah Mega Drain is 4x effective but it has like 40 base power in RBY...

Note: I'm referring to R/B here.

I meant Koga, not Sabrina - got them mixed up. For Koga you just Psybeam/Psychic.

For Misty you Confusion Staryu to death and for Starmie you first String Shot it to make it slower than Butterfree and then Sleep Powder -> Confusion/Tackle -> Sleep Powder when it wakes up -> Confusion or Tackle, etc. Heal as needed. "Sweep" is not the right word here but as long as Butterfree is at a decent level it's not a hard fight, just a tedious one. Remember, Butterfree is one of the most specially bulky Pokemon you can feasibly get by that point in the game so it's really not a horrible choice (but there are more efficient choices). And yes, Butterfree does more than 1 damage.

I will admit that most people won't keep String Shot on their Butterfree, though.

For Giovanni you use a combination of Sleep Powder and Psychic/Psybeam. Same with much of the E4. Using any water type with Surf is a much more efficient way of beating Giovanni, though. Also, you need to keep Butterfree's level up or else it won't work very well.

EDIT: Not sure how high Butterfree needs to be for Misty, though. High teens at minimum.

gosox333

I only see an empty box. D:

But yeah, I know that feeling. My Archeops actually has 4 31s, all in relevant stats. Only its Defense is lacking. I love the bugger. <3

Noooo is it visible now?

I spent waaaayy too much fucking time on that for me not to be able to properly brag about it.

harmonize

I had a much longer post penned out, but:

For Misty you Confusion Staryu to death and for Starmie you first String Shot it to make it slower than Butterfree and then Sleep Powder -> Confusion/Tackle -> Sleep Powder when it wakes up -> Confusion or Tackle, etc. Heal as needed.
With my original post, I forgot that you're unable to attack on the same turn that you awaken in RBY, which is why I didn't include Butterfree as a legitamate counter to Starmie. With that strategy, it just boils down to sleep powder connecting each time with its 75% accuracy (if we're including potions and the like though, all the gym leaders are fairly easy with relatively little training to the point that it becomes near non-nonsensical to compare them on a scale of actual difficulty). Even with Starmie resisting confusion, its not that difficult to whittle down health if there's such an somewhat consistant way of keeping it from attacking you. Fuck, that's as broken as detect Patrat at a much larger scale game-wise, and it doesn't typically stay in my recollection because I never kept string shot on my Butterfree during RBY's prime either :lol

So I'll concede that it's about as easy to beat Misty by doing that as it would be by using Ivysaur, and by starting with Tepig or obtaining a Patrat/Sawk with Lenora.

MikeMyers

Note: I'm referring to R/B here.

I meant Koga, not Sabrina - got them mixed up. For Koga you just Psybeam/Psychic.

For Misty you Confusion Staryu to death and for Starmie you first String Shot it to make it slower than Butterfree and then Sleep Powder -> Confusion/Tackle -> Sleep Powder when it wakes up -> Confusion or Tackle, etc. Heal as needed. "Sweep" is not the right word here but as long as Butterfree is at a decent level it's not a hard fight, just a tedious one. Remember, Butterfree is one of the most specially bulky Pokemon you can feasibly get by that point in the game so it's really not a horrible choice (but there are more efficient choices). And yes, Butterfree does more than 1 damage.

I will admit that most people won't keep String Shot on their Butterfree, though.

For Giovanni you use a combination of Sleep Powder and Psychic/Psybeam. Same with much of the E4. Using any water type with Surf is a much more efficient way of beating Giovanni, though. Also, you need to keep Butterfree's level up or else it won't work very well.

EDIT: Not sure how high Butterfree needs to be for Misty, though. High teens at minimum.

Oh, RB? Yeah, that 's pretty easy to steamroll, Yellow's better in that regard as the Gym Leaders use more TM moves. Also, its harder to do the "solo with your starter" because Pikachu sucks (I've done it before though).

Butterfree is actually weak to Koga's Poison moves in RB.

As for Misty, eh, I guess. Although I guess its just more convenient to use a Grass/Water type, especially considering Butterfree's Sleep Powder has 75% accuracy in

Giovanni blows in RB. At least Yellow made him a bit of a threat by giving him Persian and some decent moves on his Pokemon.

But eh, I just dont see the use of babying a Caterpie to Level 12 (the level it gets Confusion in RB), when babying a Magikarp or an Abra would be more effective.

Hey, Pokémon-GAF! Have you guys ever used online trading facilities, be it GTS or player-to-player trading? I'm asking this because I'm going to have a massive trading session today.

I think I love the advent of online trading... probably because it makes getting them all doable now.

ufo0272

Neo Member
Hi guys! Completely new to the thread, just wanted to pop in and say hello and tell you that i am stoked for GenIV and have been following this thread for a while now :)

Hi guys! Completely new to the thread, just wanted to pop in and say hello and tell you that i am stoked for GenIV and have been following this thread for a while now :)

Hi, and welcome to Pokémon-GAF! What game are you planning to get, X or Y? (I'll assume that you're talking about Gen VI.)

ufo0272

Neo Member
Hi, and welcome to Pokémon-GAF! What game are you planning to get, X or Y? (I'll assume that you're talking about Gen VI.)

Oh Crap, haha yes i meant GenVI ;) Im thinking of preordering Pokemon Y actually (as you may see in my avatar)

Thanks, I feel welcomed in pokeGAFs warm embrace :)

Top Bottom