• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

entremet

You guys think Nintendo will rerelease previous event Pokes for Gen VI--Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, the Gen IV event Pokes? I missed them all lol. I got most of Gen V save, Victini.

JoeM86

You guys think Nintendo will rerelease previous event Pokes for Gen VI--Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, the Gen IV event Pokes? I missed them all lol. I got most of Gen V save, Victini.

They've done so for Gen V for the most part

Mew: Last one was with HGSS so not in Gen V, but likely in GenVI
Celebi: Last one was just before BW and tied to getting a specific Unova Pokémon so sort of counts
Jirachi: Currently running in Japan
Deoxys: Ran two months ago
Manaphy: This needs redoing.
Darkrai: Ran last year
Shaymin: One ran last year in the Pokémon Centers in Japan
Arceus: Global Link within the first year

So they try to do it for each generation at least once, and this is in a relatively short generation compared to last time. I'd be very surprised if they didn't do them again in Gen VI

Village

There always some type of legendary or atleast just rare small " fairy" for lack of a better word type pokemon along with the larger ones in each gen.

Does anyone have any completely baseless information on what those might be this gen, and what they may represent.

entremet

They've done so for Gen V for the most part

Mew: Last one was with HGSS so not in Gen V, but likely in GenVI
Celebi: Last one was just before BW and tied to getting a specific Unova Pokémon so sort of counts
Jirachi: Currently running in Japan
Deoxys: Ran two months ago
Manaphy: This needs redoing.
Darkrai: Ran last year
Shaymin: One ran last year in the Pokémon Centers in Japan
Arceus: Global Link within the first year

So they try to do it for each generation at least once, and this is in a relatively short generation compared to last time. I'd be very surprised if they didn't do them again in Gen VI
Japan seems to do way more distributions. We still haven't gotten the Gen III Dream World starters with their Hidden Abilities. I long for a Speed Boost Blaziken just for the laughs.

There always some type of legendary or atleast just rare small " fairy" for lack of a better word type pokemon along with the larger ones in each gen.

Does anyone have any completely baseless information on what those might be this gen, and what they may represent.

A squirrel based on Ratatoskr

On another note, I can't remember, can you put + in your Pokemon's names? I want to name Honedge "+ULFBERH+T"

JoeM86

Japan seems to do way more distributions. We still haven't gotten the Gen III Dream World starters with their Hidden Abilities. I long for a Speed Boost Blaziken just for the laughs.

That's because Japan cares more about Pokémon than the west, so it gets more events dotted around. It is literally in their culture. The TV show constantly performs well, usually near the top of TV Tokyo's ratings (not so much in Decolora Adventures though. Nobody seems to care for it). The movie always comes in #1 or #2 in the Japanese box office. New merchandise coming constantly. Pokémon Centers are always filled. It's a cultural phenomenon, comparable in scope to Doctor Who/Britain's Got Talent/Football etc. in the UK.

Whereas whenever there are events in the west, aside from the VGC (though sometimes even then, see French VGC Nationals), they're usually empty. People older than their teens seldom go to it due to fear of being spotted. It's ridiculous

That's because Japan cares more about Pokémon than the west, so it gets more events dotted around. It is literally in their culture. The TV show constantly performs well, usually near the top of TV Tokyo's ratings (not so much in Decolora Adventures though. Nobody seems to care for it). The movie always comes in #1 or #2 in the Japanese box office. New merchandise coming constantly. Pokémon Centers are always filled. It's a cultural phenomenon, comparable in scope to Doctor Who/Britain's Got Talent/Football etc. in the UK.

Whereas whenever there are events in the west, aside from the VGC (though sometimes even then, see French VGC Nationals), they're usually empty. People older than their teens seldom go to it due to fear of being spotted. It's ridiculous

It has to be said though that the games consistently sell as good as, and some times better, in North America than in Japan.

JoeM86

It has to be said though that the games consistently sell as good as, and some times better, in North America than in Japan.

That's because America has a larger consumer base due to larger population. Japan has a population of 127m. North America has a population of 528m. When you look at attach rates based on population, it really doesn't do better.

Look at game launches in Japan. When you have a good game launch, you sell 100-500k in the first week. Pokémon Black & White sold 2.5m in the first week which was actually only counting the first two days. The following week did another million. This is an amazing amount. Black 2 & White 2, the enhanced versions, did similar amounts (1.5m in first two days), but not better due to the fact that starts of generations do much better.

Again, in the west, many developers aspire to those numbers worldwide over the life of a game, and Pokémon knocks it out in 48 hours in one country.

That's because America has a larger consumer base due to larger population. Japan has a population of 127m. North America has a population of 528m. When you look at attach rates based on population, it really doesn't do better.

Look at game launches in Japan. When you have a good game launch, you sell 100-500k in the first week. Pokémon Black & White sold 2.5m in the first week which was actually only counting the first two days. The following week did another million. This is an amazing amount. Black 2 & White 2, the enhanced versions, did similar amounts (1.5m in first two days), but not better due to the fact that starts of generations do much better.

Again, in the west, many developers aspire to those numbers worldwide over the life of a game, and Pokémon knocks it out in 48 hours in one country.

No, what I mean is that there are just as many people with the games in NA as in Japan, so it doesn't make sense for them to ignore them with some of the events. That's all I meant.

JoeM86

No, what I mean is that there are just as many people with the games in NA as in Japan, so it doesn't make sense for them to ignore them with some of the events. That's all I meant.

Yeah, but proportionally there isn't, not to mention they are further away from each-other rather than condensed onto three comparatively small islands. As such, holding multiple events is somewhat impractical

entremet

We did have a Pokemon Center in NYC during the Gen I/II heyday. It was converted to a Nintendo store, though.

Yeah, but proportionally there isn't, not to mention they are further away from each-other rather than condensed onto three comparatively small islands. As such, holding multiple events is somewhat impractical

They have this magical thing called WiFi events now. I don't understand why they still bother doing events at GameStop and other places.

JoeM86

They have this magical thing called WiFi events now. I don't understand why they still bother doing events at GameStop and other places.

To create good faith between them and the retailer as events bring people into the store who then impulse buy a PS3 or something.
Also, to make them actually events rather than gifts.

While WiFi, and now SpotPass, are a great way to give certain things, the feeling of an event (go to one in Japan and see) cannot be replicated.

Transform and Metronome are too much fun. In case these are a bit of a stretch, I'd say Brick Break. Just like it. Don't know why lol

I actually agree with this somewhat. Metronome battles are just hilarious.

DaBoss

Am I the only one who actually tried to raise a team of 6 different, useful Pokemon as soon as possible? That's how I always played.

Late to the conversation, I never really did this throughout the games, maybe only had 3 or so Pokémon prepared as a team up until BW2. The variety of Pokémon in BW2 really made it enticing to make a team as early as possible (I think I got my main team of 6 before Elesa) and it made it ultimately more enjoyable. I hope X/Y has a nice variety of Pokémon like BW2.

ufo0272

Neo Member
Late to the conversation, I never really did this throughout the games, maybe only had 3 or so Pokémon prepared as a team up until BW2. The variety of Pokémon in BW2 really made it enticing to make a team as early as possible (I think I got my main team of 6 before Elesa) and it made it ultimately more enjoyable. I hope X/Y has a nice variety of Pokémon like BW2.

Saw this disscussion earlier, I always did that and still do. I gues this is why i often get stuck in grinding :p

I only have white and was thinking about getting black 2 in a couple of days. Was thinking of not doing this´then.

To create good faith between them and the retailer as events bring people into the store who then impulse buy a PS3 or something.
Also, to make them actually events rather than gifts.

While WiFi, and now SpotPass, are a great way to give certain things, the feeling of an event (go to one in Japan and see) cannot be replicated.

I actually agree with this somewhat. Metronome battles are just hilarious.
The problem is that the events in the US are never a big thing, there aren't a bunch of people in the store, just a few. Plus GameStops are only in largely populated areas, the closest GameStop for me is 200 miles away. So if I'm not by chance going to that city during an event I have to get a friend online to get me the event Pokemon. I honestly don't care about events for regular Pokemon, but when it is an event for an event only Legendary or for a Pokemon that will unlock something special it annoys me that I might not be able to get it.
Saw this disscussion earlier, I always did that and still do. I gues this is why i often get stuck in grinding :p

I only have white and was thinking about getting black 2 in a couple of days. Was thinking of not doing this´then.

Don't jump from White to Black 2, get White 2. It is in your best interests.

Zeroth

The problem is that the events in the US are never a big thing, there aren't a bunch of people in the store, just a few. Plus GameStops are only in largely populated areas, the closest GameStop for me is 200 miles away. So if I'm not by chance going to that city during an event I have to get a friend online to get me the event Pokemon. I honestly don't care about events for regular Pokemon, but when it is an event for an event only Legendary or for a Pokemon that will unlock something special it annoys me that I might not be able to get it.

Don't jump from White to Black 2, get White 2. It is in your best interests.

Particularly, I live in a country that gets 0 pokemon events, so I would be a bit happier if more events were online, but it's clear who is their target demographic.

JoeM86

They're not a big thing because people just don't go to them. Most event only Pokémon end up distributed over WiFi anyway, as seen with Keldeo and Genesect, so I don't see the issue

Man, I remember the 10th anniversary event in 2006. There was an event at a local shopping centre, there were 10 different Pokemon for download so people would queue up over and over, there were episodes of the anime playing, Mystery Dungeon demos set up, a place to play the Trading Figure Game, and people actually stuck around to trade. That one was great. No events after that were the same, way less people. The Keldeo one had literally no-one else and there was nothing else Pokemon going on. I figured the Meloetta one wouldn't be worth the effort and am just waiting for a download. Kind of a shame.

JoeM86

Man, I remember the 10th anniversary event in 2006. There was an event at a local shopping centre, there were 10 different Pokemon for download so people would queue up over and over, there were episodes of the anime playing, Mystery Dungeon demos set up, a place to play the Trading Figure Game, and people actually stuck around to trade. That one was great. No events after that were the same, way less people. The Keldeo one had literally no-one else and there was nothing else Pokemon going on. I figured the Meloetta one wouldn't be worth the effort and am just waiting for a download. Kind of a shame.

Part of it is because even though those events are in real life, they're distributed wirelessly. As such, many people are "scared of being seen" and just access the event when in the car park or other situations like that. In the past, they had to suck it up and get in line to get the download.

Part of it is because even though those events are in real life, they're distributed wirelessly. As such, many people are "scared of being seen" and just access the event when in the car park or other situations like that. In the past, they had to suck it up and get in line to get the download.
I know it is anecdotal, but from my personal experience adults seem a lot more open about liking Pokemon while teens try to hide it.

Kokonoe

Banned
I wonder if a Pokemon game's sales will ever beat Red and Blue sales?

Pokémon Red and Green/Blue (23.64 million)
Pokémon Gold and Silver (23 million)

The closest one was Diamond and Pearl

Pokémon Diamond and Pearl (17.57 million)

but then, the sales took a dip with the Black and White.

Pokémon Black and White (14.71 million)

Still amazes me to this day how much the classic games sold.

Yeah, this makes me kinda sad =/. Not much you can do about it though.
Luckily in the UK there's a group of fans who run tournaments now and then, always plenty of people there.
Oh? How was it during GBA days? People line up to hook their GBAs?
Yeah, and as long as you went back to the end of the queue after each download you could get as many as you wanted.
Actually, I think they just took your cartridge and put it in their GBA, memory's kinda fuzzy, something like that anyway.

JoeM86

I wouldn't say sales took a dip, but they're for a shorter time (BW will only have been out in the west for two and a half years by the time their replacement. Besides, RS did worse.

I can see XY doing well. It'll encourage sales of the 3DS. It is the game people have wanted since 1998, a 3D Pokémon RPG

Thank god, now I wont be sad when I see the color purple! I'm still gonna stick around here too though, I like ya Pokegaf =)

Anyways, when does coroco usually leak? I'm thirsty for some new info to speculate on...
It will leak between the 10th and 14th, but don't expect a bunch of stuff.

Well, it was helped by the fact that Pokemon was phenomenon status in the late 90s/early 00s. Nevertheless, even the lowest selling versions still sell millions of copies worldwide and push systems - I think Ninty and GF are fine with the stability of the game side.
Thank god, now I wont be sad when I see the color purple! I'm still gonna stick around here too though, I like ya Pokegaf =)

Anyways, when does coroco usually leak? I'm thirsty for some new info to speculate on...
Next week Saturday, slightly before or after.

Thx for the tip. any special reason? figured black 2 was better because of better exclusives plus challenge mode. I also think b2:s esthetics are cooler

I say it is best to go with the sequel to your version for the experience. If you don't really care just get which ever.

Aggrotek

So if you are going to watch my finale, you might want to grab a bowl of popcorn and get comfy. It's just over an hour long.

Should be up later today, providing my internet stays reliable.

So if you are going to watch my finale, you might want to grab a bowl of popcorn and get comfy. It's just over an hour long.

Should be up later today, providing my internet stays reliable.

I'm looking forward to it! Who did you get as a guest?

By the way, you should totally do BW next. That would be awesome.

Aggrotek

I'm looking forward to it! Who did you get as a guest?

By the way, you should totally do BW next. That would be awesome.
Robotnik was my guest once again.

B/W or B/W2? Because it might take a while and I am working on getting some other content off the ground.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah, this makes me kinda sad =/. Not much you can do about it though.
Luckily in the UK there's a group of fans who run tournaments now and then, always plenty of people there.
Yeah, and as long as you went back to the end of the queue after each download you could get as many as you wanted.
Actually, I think they just took your cartridge and put it in their GBA, memory's kinda fuzzy, something like that anyway.

Hmm man, the days prior to wifi sounds giggidy.

Thx for the tip. any special reason? figured black 2 was better because of better exclusives plus challenge mode. I also think b2:s esthetics are cooler

Black 2 gets you Zekrom, though, and legendaries are way harder to get than the other exclusives. Feel free to go with what you want, though.

udivision

Has anyone seen these? These are a few of the dozen or so models by troive.

izFmxWJOW5C8p.gif

il6jph4zXIzec.gif

Top Bottom