• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

qq more

Looks like this is where Ash first had his 'new' eyes.

3DgQEkZ.png
Modern Ash taught Classic Ash things like that before telling him his future was going to be great.

I'd say that he should wait for X and Y first.
Er... why? Those games are nothing alike so what's stopping him from getting KIU?

I don't know, I find your posts much more interesting with that avatar, you should keep it.

ha_ha_get_out__by_wolf_shadow77-d3fujm9.png

It's bad enough that I have to keep this thing for three more weeks (without being able to Pacific Rim-itize it either >_<), but even fewer people than before take my posts seriously. I'll take my cartoon gangster lizard over a chibu robit schoolgirl anyday, thank you very much.

*snipped*

It's bad enough that I have to keep this thing for three more weeks (without being able to Pacific Rim-itize it either >_<), but even fewer people than before take my posts seriously. I'll take my cartoon gangster lizard over a chibu robit schoolgirl anyday, thank you very much.

You know... I really love Scrafty. I'm pretty sure that Scrafty always win. And they're kinda cuddly.

Zeroth

That's so not fun Scrafty-chan

Kokonoe

Banned
Little Big PokeGAF survey. Don't hold anything back, I want honest opinions here.

1. Do you expect that X and Y will be your favorite/best Pokemon games?

2. If you had to choose between Full 3D, Half 2D/3D, or Full 2D, what would you choose?

3. Is Full 3D or Full 2D better than Half 2D/3D?

4. How do you feel about the following designs:

Chespin

Fennekin

Froakie

Xerneas

Yyveltal

Pancham

Gogoat

Helioptile

Fletchling

Talonflame

Skrelp

Clauncher

Vivillon

Litleo

Flabebe

Honeedge

Scatterbug

Spewpa

Newtwo

Sylveon

5. How do you feel about the overworld graphics of X and Y?

6. How do you feel about the battle graphics of X and Y?

7. What year did you first own a Pokemon game?

8. Which Pokemon game is your absolute favorite?

9. What are your top 3 favorite Pokemon?

10. (If you played) Did you enjoy Red and Blue when the games initially came out?

11. How do you feel about Pokemon Yellow Version?

12. Is there anything in particular you dislike about Gamefreak?

13. What is your favorite Pokemon movie?

14. Do you feel Pokemon communities over the net are overly cynical and hyperbolic?

15. If you do think so, would you prefer if they were less cynical and hyperbolic? Or does it matter to you?

16. If you were to rate on a out of 10 scale, what would you rate the following games?

Red & Blue
Gold & Silver
Ruby & Sapphire
Diamond & Pearl
Black & White

17. What is your favorite type?

18. Do you prefer 'cute' Pokemon over others?

19. Do you believe using legendaries in a main playthrough is something you should avoid?

20. Do you enjoy using legendaries in a main playthrough?

21. What is the one Pokemon you dislike the most? (Just put a name here)

22. Which is better? Pokemon Black and White, or Black and White 2?

23. Did you watch the Pokemon anime growing up?

24. Which Season did you start with?

25. What is your favorite Season?

26. What website is your favorite place to discuss Pokemon?

27. What is your favorite Eevee Evolution?

28. Which Nintendo home console is your favorite?

29. Which Nintendo home console is your least favorite?

30. Did you enjoy Pokemon Colosseum or Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness?

qq more

Not at all since I found B/W very dull and disappointing. G/S are still my favorites but Platinum was pretty close.

2. If you had to choose between Full 3D, Half 2D/3D, or Full 2D, what would you choose?
2D because I love pixel art.

Full 3D/2D > Half 2D/3D anyday

Chespin
At first I didn't care for it, but then it grew on me. Probably my fav Gen 6 starter design now!

Fennekin
Okay design. Not bad at all, but I'm just not feeling it. Pretty cool we now have both a hedgehog and a fox in a starter line.

Froakie
I always like this one. He looks pretty cool!

Xerneas
I don't care much for deers, so I'm not a huge fan of this Pokemon. The antlers are kind of awesome though.

Yyveltal
Looks honestly very badass. I like that it's also "Y" shaped.

Pancham
Pancham looks really cool and (I don't normally say this) adorable. The cool factor is enough for me to want him in my party. He looks like he's ready to fuck shit up.

Gogoat
Looks kind of cool.

Helioptile
It looks pretty cool too! It reminds me of another Pokemon... I think Mawile was the name?

Fletchling
Birds are awesome, this is no exception. Also, it's really cool that the eyes resembles a bird too.

Talonflame
Looks badass. Enough said.

Skrelp
Undecided

Clauncher
Looks pretty cool, I don't have much to say about it yet.

Vivillon
Undecided

Litleo
Something looks really off about that face. I can't say I like or dislike its design. Leaning towards dislike.

Flabebe
Looks kind of interesting. Is the flower actually part of the Pokemon?

Honeedge
A badass lookin' sword as a Pokemon? Hell yeas.

Scatterbug
Undecided

Spewpa
Undecided

Newtwo
Hate it, the design looks too ugly and weird. Really not a fan of the swollen toes/fingers, it kind of looks gross.

Sylveon
Annoying design. It's too cutesy, even for an Eevolution. I just don't like how the entire thing looks overall.

Could use some work, but it's looking better and better.

The models are very nice and the animations looks pretty cool. I like it a lot!

Pokemon Gold

In no order: Squirtle, Stoutland and Mewtwo

10. (If you played) Did you enjoy Red and Blue when the games initially came out?
Yes! I got Blue with a Game Boy Color for my birthday and played the daylights out of it for weeks! I played it so much that the save battery didn't last shortly after I got Gold. For reference, my Gold battery is still okay somehow.

It was a very cool take on R/B with a bit of anime twists such as having a Pikachu following you around and fighting Jessie and James. Also loved that you can get all of the Gen 1 starters without trading.

The fact they constantly take out features that I really like for no reason. Day/Night was missing in Gen 3 and Gen 5 got rid of VS Seeker and Pokemon following you along with the cool touch screen stuff the Gen 4 games had.

I have not watched any of them recently, I've only saw the first 3 and I only remember the first one the most. So I can't really say...

14. Do you feel Pokemon communities over the net are overly cynical and hyperbolic?
Yes for several reasons.

15. If you do think so, would you prefer if they were less cynical and hyperbolic? Or does it matter to you?
I'd seriously prefer everyone to be a lot less cynical and hyperbolic for sure. It honestly hurted the fun in discussing Pokemon games.

16. If you were to rate on a out of 10 scale, what would you rate the following games?

Red & Blue - 9/10 (Blue) for its time. I just bought a new working copy of Blue so I can rate them again since it's been a decade or so since I've last played it.
Gold & Silver - 10/10 (Gold)
Ruby & Sapphire - 8/10 (Emerald)
Diamond & Pearl 9/10 (Platinum)
Black & White - 6/10 (Black)

Maybe water or steel. Physic grew on me a bit though.

I prefer cooler Pokemon, even though Eevee is one of my favorites.

19. Do you believe using legendaries in a main playthrough is something you should avoid?
Not at all.

I had a blast using Rayquaza in Emerald! Although it made Elite 4 such a cakewalk, it was still fun.

...I forgot their names but I'll count the Kami Trio as one because they're all equally horrible.

Never played B/W2 so I can't comment on this.

Yes, it was my exposure to the franchise.

I kind of stopped around Orange Island because I lost interest in the show. I did watch bits of Johto but stopped early too. So I guess 1?

I don't really discuss Pokemon a lot on forums these days, I usually just discuss them with friends. So can't say I have a favorite website for this.

Espeon

SNES

...GameCube? But that would be unfair to say since I missed out on half of the library due to the console hiatus I had in that gen, I'm going to fix that eventually. So the answer is probably undecided. I love all of them though, even the GameCube (I was just playing multiplayer GC games with my friends yesterday!).

Never played Colosseum. But I enjoyed little of what I've played of XD. Then one day I stupidly let a "friend" "borrow" the game and I never got it back. :(

Little Big PokeGAF survey. Don't hold anything back, I want honest opinions here.

Probably not my favourite, but it would take a phenomenal screw-up to make them anything but the best.

Full 3D. It adds life to the world and makes exploring more interesting.

Not inherently, but I definitely enjoy full 2D or full 3D more than their halfling counterparts.

Chespin

Love it.

Fennekin

Eeeeeh... The head could stand to be smaller and the ear hair is a bit gross. Still good pretty good overall though.

Froakie

Looks nice, but I'll withold full judgement until I see where its evolutions take the design.

Xerneas

Very sparkly, but I share Louis CK's opinions on deer and deer-like creatures.

Yyveltal

It looks really cool. I dig the symmetry of its design.

Pancham

I like it, but the "punk" look has been done before and better by other Pokémon.

Gogoat

Goats are gnarly. I'm not a fan of its scraggly beard though.

Helioptile

AW YISS HELIOPTILE. My favourite XY design so far.

Fletchling

Talonflame

Both of the above look cool. Fletchling's long, thin legs are cute as well.

Skrelp

Meth.

Clauncher

I'm definitely catching one and naming it Zoidberg. What a neat design.

Vivillon

One of the more unique "starter bugs," but nothing dethrones Beautifly and Leavanny in my book.

Litleo

Looks silly and dumb, but holds promises of greatness through evolution. I like it overall.

Flabebe

Decently cute. I don't dislike it, but I'm not head-over-heels for it.

Honeedge

My second-favourite so far. Incredibly cool-looking to me since I love sword-based Pokémon (i.e. Gallade and Bisharp).

Scatterbug

Spewpa

Probably the cutest starter bug and cocoon so far.

Newtwo

I like the different direction it takes the design, moving away from "genetic experiment" and more into "alien," which I dig more. The sausage digits and halo really cement this idea.

Sylveon

Cute, cute, cute. Probably my fourth-favourite Eeveelution after Espeon, Umbreon and Jolteon.

They leave something to be desired.

Love 'em. Cel-shaded is my favourite graphical style, and the battles in XY look so vivid and dynamic.

Pokémon White.

Scrafty, Munchlax and Espeon.

Yes, very much so.

It's a nifty little director's cut that smartly integrates ideas from the anime to make a more distinct game.

I don't like how the fragmentation of their teams causes great features to be abandoned in subsequent entries in the series.

Destiny Deoxys because Munchlax.

Overall, yes. There are definitely an overabundance of people who claim to be fans but haven't played since Gen I and go out of there way to hate everything new, and likewise there are people sho have grown to irrationally hate the older Pokémon stuff for one reason or another. I truly do believe that there are no bad Pokémon games, just ones that have aged worse than others.

I don't really care that much, to be honest. Bygones will be bygones, and I have an organic ignore list called "indifference" should I encounter someone who really peeves me.

Red & Blue: 6/10. They're classics for sure, but I can't look past how badly the stains of time have affected them.
Gold & Silver: 7.5/10. Upon closee scrutiny, they've aged much better than RB but I still yearn for the newer improvements while playing them.
Ruby & Sapphire: 8/10. A great region with some great new mechanics, but water, water everywhere drags down the latter quarter of the games and they're pretty light on postgame content.
Diamond & Pearl: 7/10. They reek of not being very well-planned, what with the whole horribly slow battle speed and the positively microscopic number of Fire-type lines available in the main game. The Phys/Spec split is amazing though, and the villains were a lot of fun.
Black & White: 9.5/10. These games epitomize everything I love about the series, and they filled me with enough joy to warrant a purchase of both versions, which is a first for me.

Dark. I was a Psychic guy before, but Gen V converted me.

I like a balance, with a bit of an edge given to "cool" Pokémon. Most of my Top 10 are Pokémon I consider to be a good blend of coolness and cuteness.

No, absolutely not. If you like a Pokémon and want to use it, then more power to you.

No, because it takes away some of the strategy and challenge for me.

Hm. Probably Unown, seeing as they're the ultimate gimmick Pokémon who are a pain to collect, or Voltorb because it looks dumb in my opinion.

I enjoyed BW more, but BW2 are the better, more full-featured games.

Heck yeah!

Season 1.

The Lily of the Valley Conference, whatever season that was. Great fun, animation and action, only slightly mitigated by a cop-out ending.

This one. I've met a good number of incredible, like-minded people here.

Espeon, boyee!

The GameCube. A lot of great games on that little lunchbox.

The Virtual Boy, because it didn't even have one Pokémon game ;P

Seriously, I don't know. I harbour no ill feelings for any Nintendo home console, and they've all given us a number of great games.

Yes, both of them. I actually bought the Player's Guide for Colosseum so I could 100% it and get Ho-oh, but I was never able to beat Mt. Battle :(

There you are.

udivision

No...

Full 3D

Full is better.

Chespin Great

Fennekin Good

Froakie Decent

Xerneas Decent

Yyveltal Good

Pancham Great

Gogoat Good

Helioptile Decent

Fletchling Good

Talonflame Good

Skrelp Good

Clauncher Good

Vivillon Decent

Litleo Bad

Flabebe Who?

Honeedge Bad

Scatterbug Decent

Spewpa Decent

Newtwo Decent

Sylveon Bad

They're not very good. It's almost like they're "showing thier age" even though it's a new game.

They're spectacular.

Uh... 1999?

Gold.

Squirtle
Nidoking
Blastoise

Yes.

Challenging and probably the best "Third Version" game.

Plenty, but overall they're just a slow moving developer.

Heh, what?

Probably... but aren't all communities like that?

Sure, but it's not too big of a deal.

Red & Blue 9
Gold & Silver 10
Ruby & Sapphire 6
Diamond & Pearl 7
Black & White 8

Water

No

Yes, I've never done it.

I've never done it...

Mr. Mime.

Can't say... I'll just go with BW2.

Yes.

Season 1.

Season 1.

None.

Vaporean.

SNES.

Wii U.

I only played the stadium mode of Colosseum... It wasn't a good game.

ufo0272

Neo Member

Chespin

Fennekin

Froakie

Xerneas

Yyveltal

Pancham

Gogoat

Helioptile

Fletchling

Talonflame

Skrelp

Clauncher

Vivillon

Litleo

Flabebe

Honeedge

Scatterbug

Spewpa

Newtwo

Sylveon

Red & Blue
Gold & Silver
Ruby & Sapphire
Diamond & Pearl
Black & White

1: idk. so far heartgold is best.

2: full 3D

3: yes

4:

Chespin: Awesome but i dont truly think it fits in with the pokemon theme, actually

Fennekin: Pom-Poms in his ears lol

Froakie: Cloudfrog. Altaria x Politoed

Xerneas: pretty cool-looking bling bling deer

Yveltal: Most badass thing i have ever seen. red glowing dragon shaped like a Y obvs

Pancham: KUNG FU PANDA

Gogoat: Real cool design actually, i like it a lot

Helioptile: Wtf is this. a parabole?

Fletchling: Just a bird, nufin speshul

Talonflame: Pretty cool but think it would be cooler with a bit more of a "firey" look and details

Skrelp: this thing looks ridiculous. i really hope it has a badass evolution. it has potential with that armor looking thing.

Clauncher: Cool looking blue mini-version of kingler. like it tho :)

Vivillon: Probably my favourite thus far of all the weak "butterfly" pokemon with the pixel stuff going on.

Litleo: looks pretty ridiculous right now but really hopes it has a badass fire manticore pokemon

Flabebe: Really cute design, hope it has a bigger cuter evolution who turns out to be the most badass dragonkiller.

Honedge: Really cool and nice design. i like that ghost hand who holds the sheath. dig the ghost/steel typing.

Scatterbug: kind of a wierd body and head but not too terrible i guess. still better than butt-face wurmple.

Spewpa: dont get why spewpa get so much hate. its a pretty nice design, and really similar too scatterbug. its like scatterbug but with a shell

Newtwo: Looks fucking awesome. i actually like the head-tail thing that everyone seem to hate.

Sylveon: real cool and cute design. really a great way to create commotion for the all new fairy type.

5: looks nice. still hope tho that nintendo will stay with the blocky movement or what you can call it instead of going over to Ranger-style free walking. i like the puzzle thinking about the earlier way of walking

6: looks fucking fabulous.

7: was kind of late to pokemon, like 2005

8: Heartgold.

9: Bellossom, Scizor and Sandslash

10: Never played actually (oh god hate incoming)

11: Nice idea but it sucks the way the game limits you around your pikachu in a way i think. i'd rather play R/B

12: the decision of letting americans create pokemon. ice cream pokemon suck.

13: Pokemon 3: the movie i believe. the one with unown and entei and humans and shit. its wierd but i like it.

14: Genwunners are the worst. i mean like, come on.

15: I get really frustrated over this fact but i guess there's nothing really to do

16:

RB, no experience with these games.
GS, ^^
RS 8/10. love em.
DP 6/10. not my favourite
BW 7:10 okay. for some reason i never really like dp and bw that much.

17: Grass

18: Cute pokemon and cool pokemon are all awesome.

19: I actually think they kinda ruin the team sometimes. in LGFR it was cool how you could choose between Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres as on of three types. Other legendaries get forced into your team just because they are just legendaries.

20: Sometimes. Palkia and Zekrom always seemed very forced to me.

21: Dunsparce. I hate that little motherfucker. So useless.

22: Actually haven't played BW2 but they seem a lot better

23: Couple of episodes here and there but didnt really "follow" it

24: With season i guess u mean anime season and in that case its season 1. never really watched any other. watched advance and battle frontier as well, they were pretty good. i like Gen3

25: Advance/Battle Frontier i guess

26: NeoGAF ofc

27: Always like umbreon but when i failed at evolving my eevee to umbreon it became espeon and i have stuck with it. I also like flaron and jolteon. and vaporeon. actually think all eeveelutions are cool except glaceon and leafeon. they suck. evolving in different areas? no thanks.

28: 3DS and GBA. i dont really hate any console so i guess i like everyone

29: idk. wii maybe its my least favourite but still dont dislike it.

30: never played.

10 bucks noone will actually read this far

[EDIT] wow i seem to have done this wrong. still a neoGAF nub, plz no shitstorm

JoeM86

Absolutely

Before X & Y were shown, I would have said a continuation of the style set out by Black & White, but with vectored sprites to lose the ugly pixelation. However, after seeing X & Y, full 3D. Looking at Black 2 & White 2 now is hard for me because it seems so backwards and static.

Full 3D all the way. Look at it!
tumblr_moumocTuxv1r78moro1_r2_250.gif

Chespin
Decent design. A nice mix of a chipmunk and a chestunut

Fennekin
It's a very elegant design, but I'm wary of another Fire-type fox

Froakie
Another Water-type amphibian makes me raise an eyebrow, but the design is sufficient

Xerneas
Majestic!

Yyveltal
Epic

Pancham
It's a Fighting-type Panda. What's not to like?

Gogoat
A Pokémon you can ride is pretty cool in concept, but Gogoat in general is a bit generic.

Helioptile
Helioptile is amazing. I love how its ears frill open when it attacks.

Fletchling
It's a little generic, but I can accept it.

Talonflame
A decent Fire/Flying-type without the un-necessary flames coming off of it like the majority of Fire-types

Skrelp
It's...intriguing

Clauncher
It looks pretty cool

Scatterbug
It reminds me of Burmy when it doesn't have a cloak. It's adorable

Spewpa
No complaints

Vivillon
It's an interesting take on the Bug/Flying-type archetype

Litleo
Adorable. I really hope it evolves into a Manticore

Flabébé
Quite possibly my favourite design in Gen VI, ignoring the flower. It's just so small that it is awesome

Honedge
A possessed sword? What's not to like. It has great stab potential. It really is the cutting edge of Pokémon design

Awakened Mewtwo
I like it. It's an interesting take on a classic.

Sylveon
The tentacles are a bit odd, but I've got used to it

They're nice. Could do with finetuning, but nice

tumblr_moumocTuxv1r78moro1_r2_250.gif

Enough said. Beautiful.

1999, just a few months before it came out here.

Pokémon Black 2 & White 2 at this point

1. Celebi
2. Sky Shaymin
3. Mow Rotom
rotom.jpg

Absolutely. It began my love with the franchise

It was cool to have a tie in with the anime.

Nope. They're good to me.

Not the Celebi movies, there's too much choking of Celebi in them
531.jpg
M1027.jpg

I can't answer this one since I run arguably the biggest Pokémon website on the internet. Sorry.

See above

This is based on current trends, not how they were on launch

Red & Blue 5
Gold & Silver 5
Ruby & Sapphire 5 (The new features i.e. Abilities redeem this game. The region sucked due to too much water and it felt somewhat half complete)
Diamond & Pearl 7
Black & White 9

Fairy-type :p Seriously though, I like Bugs lately. I use Bug-types now...Bug-types are cool

Nope

Na, if it's what you want to do, then so be it. They're as valid a Pokémon as any

Makes no difference.

Grumpig. I don't know why, but that Pokémon really doesn't sit right with me.

Black 2 & White 2. They have far more content than their predecessors.

Yes I did

The orginal.

Black & White

*cough*...guess :p

Espeon

Wii U

Virtual Boy

They were good fun, yes.

I think this would've been better had you made the survey in a different site instead of a long, page-stretching list.

I'll go and do that because it's actually starting to bug me (not the survey itself, but how often I'm having to scroll).

Guess I'll try.

I try to keep my expectations low and never expect best case scenarios despite liking what I've seen of the game thus far.
Full 3D
Yes

Chespin
I like it. Reminds me of Oshawott, my favorite gen V starter.
Fennekin
Favorite gen VI starter.
Froakie
Its not bad, but I don't really care for it.
Xerneas
Looks cool and majestic. I like that its eyes are Xs.
Yyveltal
Its great, but looks awkward when it makes that "Y" pose.
Pancham
Its alright.
Gogoat
Great.
Helioptile
Don't like it, but it looks like ute will evolve into something really awesome.
Fletchling
Looks a bit bland.
Talonflame
Looks awesome with the flame pattern.
Skrelp
Ugly, outline is all scribbley and unneat.
Clauncher
Great, like a blue Kingler and Corphish combined.
Vivillon
The design of its wings are neat.
Litleo
Looks really dumb, but like Helioptile, I expect great things from its evos.
Flabebe
Just ok
Honeedge
Blade based pokemon is amazing, nice touch with the face sheathe.
Scatterbug
Just ok.
Spewpa
Looks too similar to pre evo.
Newtwo
An abomination, worst thing to come out of this gen.
Sylveon
Don't completely hate it anymore, but it still stands out like a site thumb from the other eeveelutions.
Looks improved from the initial reveal, but it still needs work.
Where the game really shines at imo. Celshaded 3d models make the battles feel more lively.
I don't remember, maybe 2005?
Pokemon Black
9. What are your top 3 favorite Pokemon? Charizard, Salamence, Lucario

I haven't played any of the gen I games.
I haven't played it, but basing it of the anime seems really cool.
They don't make enough non Pokemon games.
14. Do you feel Pokemon communities over the net are overly cynical and hyperbolic? Yes, but video game communities rarely aren't.

Yes

Red & Blue N/A
Gold & Silver 8/10(crystal only)
Ruby & Sapphire 7/10
Diamond & Pearl 7/10
Black & White 9/10

Fire, followed by Dragon.
No
Not really, no.
I do.
Jynx
BW2
Yes
Season 1
Any of the Advance saga
I don't discuss Pokemon on other sites so...here I guess?
27. What is your favorite Eevee Evolution? Tie between Jolteon and Umbreon.
28. Which Nintendo home console is your favorite? N64
29. Which Nintendo home console is your least favorite? Gamecube
30. Did you enjoy Pokemon Colosseum or Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness?Haven't played either.

Oh, bloody hell. Here goes nothing.
If it continues what I see as the general upward gradient of Pokémon games, it's a distinct possibility. A decent variety of Pokémon thus far, a varied-looking region, nice new features... it could well happen.
Gonna hedge my bets here, and say either full 3D or full 2D. The combo in the overworlds of Gen IV and V always struck me as a bit of a fudge, and I'd rather high-quality sprites or decent models than a mismash of the both of them.
See above.

Chespin
Excellent characterful design... very much in the Oshawott bowl, sure, but that's really no bad thing in my eyes. Certainly my preliminary pick for the starter this time around.
Fennekin
Too dainty and weirdly proportioned for me to really love it all that much. Its inevitable Psychic dual-typing is at least a nice change, but I'm not all that excited.
Froakie
Middle of the road, I suppose. Nothing terrible, and I kinda like the foam motif, but... eh. It's the Tepig of this generation, for me.
Xerneas
Classy as hell, and the best cover legendary to be revealed since Lugia. This record stood for about two seconds, though, because...
Yveltal
Oh HELL yes. Everything I could want in a legendary and more. All I need is a good typing, and my Y purchase is absolutely confirmed.
Pancham
Like it, but the evolution for this strikes me as the sort that'll really lift it up. Still, decent in its own right, and his leaf is hella cute.
Gogoat
Well... it's a goat. Nice enough in its own right, but... it's a goat. I like my Pokémon to have a little more than that, ideally, although it's hardly offensive.
Helioptile
It's a wonderfully cute little thing. I'd prefer it if its frills are always expanded, but it's nice enough. Not the most exciting design in the world, and not something I'm tripping over myself to stick in my team, but hey, it's nice.
Fletchling
Standard early bird sort of thing. It's cute enough, and I like that it actually looks like a bird without the cutesy anime eyes, but... eh.
Talonflame
More like it! Yeah, yeah, Stealth Rock and whatever, but anything that breaks up the pattern of Normal/Flying is fine by me. Name's daftly simplistic, though.
Skrelp
I admire this one more than I love it, to be fair. It's a cool concept based around an animal that you wouldn't expect, and it's well pulled off, but... yeah, not really my kinda thing.
Clauncher
Pistol shrimp Pokémon, hell yeah. Again, gonna have an absolutely excellent evolution, this one.
Vivillon
Again, regional bug. A decent enough example of the form, but... how many butterflies is that we've had now?
Litleo
Its face, man. It's cute enough, and I'll be very excited if it does end up going down the Fire/Poison Manticore route, but that face just prevents it from being as cute as it really should be. Shinx pulled off the electric lion cub look better than Litleo does for the fire cub.
Flabébé
CUTE. Like, seriously, CUTE. I actually kinda love this one. I have no really valid reason for doing so, but LOOK AT IT. I look forward to taking out a Dragon or two with this one.
Honedge
I like how it looks with the sheath on, and the typing is just excellent, but without the sheath it is just a sword with an eye on it. Still, cool backstory, and I can see it being really nice to use ingame.
Scatterbug
How many times have we seen this sort of thing now? Hard to muster anything in any direction for it over Wurmple, or Caterpie, or whatever.
Spewpa
Swadloon, but more colourful, and less characterful. Eh.
Newtwo
In terms of being a streamlined version built for speed, it works nicely enough. I remain to be convinced that Mewtwo actually needed it, but, as it goes, it's a nice extrapolation of Mewtwo's original design.
Sylveon
I like it, yeah. Obviously it's only recently that we've learned much of anything about it, but if we're to have a Fairy Eeveelution, it's a nice way to do it.
Looking a lot nicer than they did back in the Pokémon Direct. The cities still look nicer than the field, but the whole thing is a lot nicer to look at now. I'm enjoying the added scale that the new look brings with it too; Lumiose looks like a blast to explore in a much deeper way than Castelia's surface-level scale.
Far better than I expected. Animations are fluid, models are clearly high quality, attacks look really good, the style's exactly right in the way that no 3D console battler has ever managed before. Like it a hell of a lot.
Hmm... 2000, with Yellow, I think.
White, I suppose
Dwebble
Heracross
Flygon
If these are inconsistent with anything I've posted before... well, tough. I never claimed to be consistent. :p
Well, Yellow, but yes, I absolutely did. I couldn't beat Brock for love nor money (blame the anime for telling me that yes, Pikachu could beat Ground-types.), but... well, it obviously had an impact, else I wouldn't be here today.
Well, it was my first, so it'll always have a special place in my heart. I think that every subsequent game is better, but I'll always love Yellow at least a little bit.
The disconnection between the teams, that can often lead to interesting features being implemented briefly and then dropped. They'd better not take my Repel notification away.
Lucario and the Mystery of Mew. Gorgeous to look at, and functional outside of being a simple Pokémon movie. The Regis were also HELLS disturbing in that movie.
To a certain extent, and the sheer polarisation between, for want of better words, the genwunners and the fans of the newer stuff (please someone make better words) is never pleasant. Many potentially interesting threads have been murdered in the grave by people who haven't played the series in over a decade passing blind judgement over stuff they haven't seen or experienced, and many overreact to that and are every bit as aggressive, rude and off-putting than the people they're actually trying to argue against.
Well, don't get me wrong, I love a good debate, and people should never stop questioning what's happening with the franchise, but it certainly goes over the top far too often. I'd prefer something of a throttling back on both sides of the argument, myself.

Red & Blue
Gold & Silver
Ruby & Sapphire
Diamond & Pearl
Black & White

I'm sorry, I find this an impossibility. I am far, far too attached to all of these games to make anything even approaching a reasonable review scale. When I say that Pokémon games are getting better, that's in reference to a franchise that I whole-heartedly love like few other franchises, and I really can't pretend that I'm in any position to objectively scale them.
Probably ghost or fire, although I certainly love my fair share of bug types.
Honestly, my list of favourites is so eclectic that I can't honestly say. Mind you, I love Oshawott and particularly Dwebble far more than is reasonable, and they're absurdly cute, so... maybe?
I hate being prescriptive about what people should and shouldn't do in their game, in terms of what they raise and battle with. However...
No, I don't. I catch them and box them, by and large. No high-handed reasons of game balance or easiness, it's just that I tend to be attached to my team by the point of the game that we're catching legendaries, and I don't want to disrupt that by chucking a legendary in. The only recent exception to this was using Zekrom against N, because HOLY HELL THAT WAS THE COOLEST THING
Bronzong. I have absolutely no use for it, in any sense. A shame, because I thought Bronzor was a decent-enough design.

Also, it should totally have been called Doombell. The localisation team fell asleep at the switch there.
Both have recommendable attributes to them. I very much enjoyed White 2's wide and varied Pokémon distribution, the post-game content was excellent and expansive, and I liked the new characters such as Hugh and Colress. Overall, though, nothing really compares to White, and the way that they were really pushing against the limits of what the sprite-based formula could offer. Also, there was actually a reasonably interesting story, and that was really, really refreshing for a Pokémon game.
Oh yes. Still one of the things I stick on whenever I'm feeling down, no matter what the quality.
Well, I started watching and playing while the Orange Islands were going on, I'm pretty sure, but such was the relentless carpet-bombing of repeats back then that I saw all of Kanto pretty damned quickly.
Well, despite its big flaws, I will never not love Kanto or the Orange Islands. Johto lost me, I'll admit, but honestly, the best is probably the Diamond and Pearl saga, with Galactic Battles in particular being a high point. This isn't to say it's objectively good, but by the standards of the anime, it's top-notch.
Well, here and the IRC are good places to start! Aside from that, I often get the most from talking about it with my friends on Twitter. I've got a few really cool guys and gals on there (come back Nick! We miss you!), so that's probably my first place to go.
Either Glaceon or Espeon, I guess.
Gamecube was the home console which really cemented my enjoying of Nintendo as a whole, rather than just using their handhelds as Pokémon-playing systems, so almost certainly that.
Nintendo 64, by virtue of never having owned one.
They were alright for what they were, but they never really felt like anything other than off-brand, Happy Shopper Pokémon. Diverging from the Pokémon formula in ways that were uniformly making the games worse, and running unforgivably slowly... they were a nice novelty, sure, but did absolutely nothing to scratch my Pokémon RPG itch.

Decent music, though.

zroid

Banned
I filled out the form. Did it work...?

I spontaneously went back two or three pages one time and had to flip ahead... dunno if that screwed it up, lol.

Give us a link to the form-submitted responses!

Thanks Koko for the survey, I had fun filling it out. And PB for the form. :)

I filled out the form. Did it work...?

I spontaneously went back two or three pages one time and had to flip ahead... dunno if that screwed it up, lol.

Give us a link to the form-submitted responses!

Nah, it went through. So far you're the only one to have filled it out, but I'm guessing people were busy concentrating on their posts first.

The games only get better and better, so yes.

Half 2D/3D, I like the overhead camera.

No. Full 3D only works on making the battles look good. 2D is a classic look but should be left behind.

Chespin
Love it.

Fennekin
Like it.

Froakie
Love it.

Xerneas
A little busy but a good design.

Yyveltal
Very good.

Pancham
Adorable.

Gogoat
A nice design to introduce the ride-able Pokémon concept.

Helioptile
Frill lizard reminds me of Sgt. Frog.

Fletchling
A little simple but works.

Talonflame
Awesome design. Terrible name.

Skrelp
Looks ugly.

Clauncher
Good design.

Vivillon
Finally another butterfly Pokémon.

Litleo
Derp face. I expect it to evolve into a Bibarel-looking Pokémon.

Flabebe
A interesting concept.

Honeedge
Awesome ghost sword.

Scatterbug
Looks nice.

Spewpa
Looks better.

Newtwo
Gamecube handle head. Looks a little off since and has weird proportions.

Sylveon
Looks pink.

A little messy but it will probably look better in front of me.

Better than expected. The new moves animations are intriguing.

2001. Pokémon Gold.

Currently B2W2.

Ditto
Mewtwo
Mew

Loved them. Though I had the displeasure of not knowing about Rage mechanics.

Pikachu follows you. And you fight Jesse and James. Pretty cool for a tie-in.

Events. Especially when they put out special Pokémon with moves they would never ordinarily get.

Mewtwo Strikes Back.

Yes.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. However, when their opinions start affecting how a game is being developed, it becomes a problem,

Red & Blue
Gold & Silver
Ruby & Sapphire
Diamond & Pearl
Black & White

Psychic

Cute > Not Cute

You can use whatever you want.

I like to avoid catching legendaries since I want to RNG.

Goldeen.

Black and White.

Yes, Pikachu beating Oynx after doping on electricity and activating the sprinklers.

Season 1.

None in particular.

None in particular. I read comments more than actually post.

Espeon.

SNES. One of the greatest home console.

N64.

Play the heck out of it. Disappointed that they took Celebi out of the game though.

I don't expect that. The games that I generally consider my absolute favorites (Platinum, GSC, Emerald) had a great deal of impact. I'm honestly really really excited for X and Y but for me to say that they will knock off those other ones from the top rank, that's just hard to say. I do think I'll really like them though!

I'd go for full 3D. I think to really really get the full scope of Pokemon, 3D is the way to go. For one, it'll let you realize just how big some of these Pokemon are and I think it'll make the entire world seem more life like when you can actually see your favorite Pokemon roaming about in real life...imagine for example fishing up a Wailord or encountering a Tyranitar...or flying on a Fearow...the possibilities abound!

I'm not really sure to be honest.

Chespin

I don't really like his look all that much. I guess he's supposed to be some sort of chipmunk but I find his design boring.

Fennekin

I am automatically a fan...I like the fire fox's general look and am excited to see how he will evolve.

Froakie

Just not a fan but I generally don't care for Pokemon based off frogs...plus Politoed did it best.

Xerneas

Ehhhh...I like the colors but his design is a bit too...out there to be honest.

Yyveltal

I don't really care one way or the other,

Pancham

Awesome design. I love pandas and I kind of like the thug look they gave him. I really want to add him to my party and I can't wait to see how he evolves!

Gogoat

Helioptile

Fletchling

Talonflame

Skrelp

Clauncher

Vivillon

Litleo

I'm generally a fan of Flamin' Leo...I would like to see a genuine lion Pokemon and I hope his evolutions are pretty strong.

Flabebe

Honeedge

Scatterbug

Spewpa

Newtwo

A totally unnecessary design...Mewtwo was fine as is so I don't see the point of Puketwo...

Sylveon

I don't care for it at all...I think it's kinda pandering and it doesn't really do anything for me either. I think they could do better for a fairy Evee than this.

I think they look pretty good so far but I still want to see more of them before I pass more of a judgement!

I think they look really good. I was worried at first but they seem very crisp and the Pokemon look real good in battle and I liked what I've seen out of the battle animations so far...I really hope they make some of the really powerful attacks look like they'd hurt.

Uhhh...I can't remember to be honest...whatever year Pokemon Red/Blue first came out in America is the year I got it.

I'd have to pick between Pokemon Platinum or Gold/Silver...uhhhhh...that is a very tough decision to make. I love them both equally!

My top 3 have to be Gengar, Monferno annnnnnnd...Mareep. Yeah, those three would be the top ones.

Oh yes, I remember the Pokemon craze when those games first came out. I was in middle school by that time and I remember everyone in my class had them. I loved them immensely, I used to beat the Elite Four over and over and over again and not get bored of it. I didn't get to battle many people though, maybe my friend but he had the game for longer than me and got to play it more often than me so that fight...was a curb stomping.

I never got to really play it but I liked the addition of having a Pokemon following you, that was really neat!

Why do they like to take out features from older games? Stuff like the Rematch device, Secret Bases, following Pokemon, Pokeathelon...why do they just remove those features from the next games? It's really really annoying that they come up with these cool features and them just yank them away with the next installation, it doesn't make any sense to me at all!

I...have never watched one...

As with a lot of other communities, I feel this is the case. It seems like everyone just thrives on negativity and making mountains out of molehills. The internet actually caused me at first to think games like Gold and Silver were just awful and crummy but as I learn to not let things like that get to me, I find it easier to just enjoy the games.

What happened to just enjoying games as opposed to just complaining about every little thing? Why should people get hated on for enjoying whatever they like? In some ways it does matter to me but often I just distance myself from the community instead.

Red & Blue
Gold & Silver
Ruby & Sapphire
Diamond & Pearl
Black & White

Red and Blue would get rated 9
Gold and Silver would get a perfect 10
Ruby and Sapphire would get a 9
Diamond and Pearl would get a perfect 10
Black and White...uhh...5

My favorite type would be Ghost. Mainly because my favorite Pokemon is ghost but there have been a few other ghost Pokemon that I like, including the legendary Giratina. I think it also came from the fact that my friend in middle school rolled with an Alakazam and I thought (shame about that glitch) that ghost would bring the beat down. Well it didn't in first gen but I still have kept my love for the ghost types.

I like cute Pokemon but I like cute Pokemon that look like they would put up a fight. And not just a tiny fight either.

I used Rayquaza in Emerald to crush most of the Elite Four and felt no shame...no shame! I mean on one hand it does make the game easier but I don't see the problem, people are free to enjoy the game however they want!

I don't really enjoy using them mainly because by the time I get them, they are far behind the curve of my other Pokemon and I don't feel like training them up. If it wasn't for that, I'd use them more often!

Sylvtheon

This is tough for me but I...guess I'll go with Black/White...because they didn't just ignore the story for long periods of time...I guess.

For a short time I did but as my mom didn't approve of Pokemon after a bit...I didn't get to see much and the episode in Lavender Town put an end to any time I had with Pokemon as a kid lol.

Kanto

For now I'll say Kanto but only because it's the one with the post episodes I've seen...I play to watch more of it though.

Don't really have one to be honest, I prefer discussing Pokemon with friends as opposed to a website haha

Leafeon easily.

That would have to go to the Super Nintendo. It's home to some favorites like Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, the DKC series, Final Fantasy 4 and 6, Harvest Moon, Kirby Super Star and a host of other games...it really is amazing how many good games are on that system and how replayable all of them are.

Nintendo Wii...I don't think there is one game on that system I really enjoyed...the online is terrible, I'm not a fan of motion based gaming annnnd...I just didn't like it at all.

I haven't played either but from what I saw and have heard Coliseum looks like it'd be fun to play!

zroid

Banned
also, since there wasn't a question about spinoffs, I'm just gonna give a shout-out to the Pinball games, of which we are in dire need of a new entry.

And the obligatory Wii U Snap mention

I don't know the context behind this suggestion, but it is a great suggestion. Everyone should must play Rhythm Heaven Fever.

1298153385601.png

Rhythm Heaven is second only to Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents as my favourite music game series of all time, and Fever was one of my favourite games of last year. Eveyone with a pulse (and heck, even zombies) should at least give them a whirl. If a smile doesn't creep across your face at least once, you are loveless.

Judging by the other answers on that document, I wrote way too much. :p
To a certain extent, and the sheer polarisation between, for want of better words, the genwunners and the fans of the newer stuff (please someone make better words) is never pleasant. Many potentially interesting threads have been murdered in the grave by people who haven't played the series in over a decade passing blind judgement over stuff they haven't seen or experienced, and many overreact to that and are every bit as aggressive, rude and off-putting than the people they're actually trying to argue against.

Not really

Nah, not really.

meh

From a technical standpoint, always. Judgment will vary based on music, story, features, ...

Full. I can't wait for 3D.

As long as the effect looks good.

Chespin
Good.

Fennekin
Eeeeh, I like Tepig more :p

Froakie
Bro status.

Xerneas
Average.

Yyveltal
Awesome!

Pancham
Alright.

Gogoat
It's a goat...

Helioptile
I like how he looked in the anime preview, but will need more time to assess.

Fletchling
BURNER OF SOULS

Talonflame
RELENTLESS FIRE

Skrelp
Eeeeh

Clauncher
Has potential, if he can be as awesome as Kingler...

Vivillon
Butterfly.

Litleo
Derpface.

Flabebe
Pocket-sized fairy, KILLER OF DRAGONS

Honedge
Best material design Pokemon.

Scatterbug
I like his face :) He'll get boxed early, unfortunately.

Spewpa
Mah.

Newtwo
No opinion.

Sylveon
*_*

Noivern
Dragon + fruit bat = AWESOME.

Pretty good, can't wait.

Prety FREAKIN' AWESOME.

Whenever RB came out - I got Blue.

Emerald. I love water and trumpets.

I have various groups of Pokemon that I consider favorites for various reasons or another. So, I'll stick to one of the easier ones - fave G1 teammates:

1. Kingler
2. Pidgeotto
3. Dugtrio

Yes.

It's Yellow... pretty much RB redux. Yellow happened to be where I tried out a few glitches for the first time (like Glitch City). I also got much fun out of the Surfing Pikachu minigame (can't remember where I got a surfing Pikachu though... I think my cousin had Stadium).

I may have problems with some games, but GF is one of my favorite developers. I am aware of more members of the team than pretty much any other developer, oddly enough... I would really love to take a tiny peek into the dev process.

Lucario and the Mystery of Mew.

No comment.

No comment.

Being that it's impossible for me to say much on the whole package at this point in time, I'll just rate them on mechanics!

Red & Blue
5/10
Gold & Silver
6/10
Ruby & Sapphire
7/10
Diamond & Pearl
8/10
Black & White
9/10

Dragon. Then Fire. Then Flying.

I have favorites in many categories.

I've always avoided using legendaries - it feels too cheap, since they are built to be "boss strength". I feel better when I stick with my team and trudge through.

I never use legendaries for anything - they all get boxed.

That tsuchinoko, whatever its name is.

BW has better story.
BW2 has better music (by being a superset of BWs) and Join Avenue, which will surely be taken out in XY :mad:

Yes.

1st season.

I don't have one.

Here and chat.

Sylveon and Glaceon.

Don't have enough to make that judgment, though my favorite portable is GBA.

See above, and I don't dislike any portable.

They were... okay. I 100%ed XD with a friend.

Music is godly though. Tsukasa Tawada :bow: :bow:

harmonize

Exceeding Gold and Silver is a tall order, but it's entirely possible. Outside of the first two generations, they will without a doubt be my favorite by a large margin. The games have been getting better since Platinum's release, and it doesn't look like that's going to slow down at all.

Full 3D. 2D was great for its time, but it time to move forward.

By a large margin, yes.

Chespin:
Will probably be the starter I choose, it's cute as a button.

Fennekin:
Looks alright, I just wish his head was a tad smaller to even out the head/body ratio.

Froakie:
Provided that Chespin doesn't have decent evolutions, this is my second choice in starters; the design is just fantastic.

Xerneas:
The entire reason I'm purchasing X over Y, its imposing yet whimsical appearance looks like its directly inspired from the obvious Miyazaki film.

Yyveltal:
Also looks great, looks far more menacing than its X counterpart. All in all, these are the two best legendary pairs Gamefreak has produced.

Pancham:
Panda-based Pokemon with a leaf vicariously hanging out of its mouth like a badass? What's not to like, except for its also problematic head proportions?

Gogoat:
A simple goat design covered in grass, nothing to really praise or dislike. The fact that you can ride it shoots it up on my list of favorite new Pokemon revealed.

Helioptile:
I like the idea they were shooting for, but I just can't seem to get into the design as easily as I can with the others.

Fletchling:
The backwards bird's head for its eyes looks adorable, and I like the color scheme.

Talonflame:
Again, the color scheme and general design is great, and I like its typing.

Skrelp:
Looks poorly done, will take some time to get used to.

Clauncher:
No strong feelings one way or another.

Vivillon:
I love it, moreso than all of the butterfly-inspired designs before it; the coloration of the wings are fantastically done.

Litleo:
The eyes are somewhat odd, but everything else seems acceptable.

Flabebe:
Adorable, definitely my favorite in terms of how cute it is.

Honeedge:
The scabbard looks interesting, but it appears borderline silly outside of it. I understand its intended to be a possessed sword, but having literally just be a sword swung around by a cloth-arm seems like its taking liberty with how simple a ghost-typed inanimate object design can be.

Scatterbug:
Cute little worm Pokemon, nice for the typical first-stage caterpillar motif it fits.

Spewpa:
I like it less than Vivillon, but more than Scatterbug, still pretty indifferent.

Newtwo:
The sausage-esque digits turn me off of the design somewhat, but the rest is acceptable. I expected something better for an alternative form of one of the most well-known Pokemon, however.

Sylveon:
Looks just as great as the other eevee evolutions, I never really understood some of the backlash it got from certain people.

Looks good, but could use some improvements in some aspects.

They're damn near perfect, absolutely stunning for the system that they're on.

7. What year did you first own a Pokemon game?:
1998, Christmas of that year to be exact.

Silver.

Starmie, Mewtwo, and Pikachu (with Suicune and Lucario following close afterwards)

Absolutely. The first two generations are easily the most fun I've ever had with video games, and resulted in not only in me becoming completely immersed with the series up to this very day, but was also my first introduction to JRPGs in general. Nothing else has quite had the impact on me in comparison.

My second favorite in the franchise, having Pikachu follow you, obtaining all of the starters, the quirky surfing minigame, and being able to fight Jessie and James were pretty amazing.

Not really, my few issues with them are minute and insignificant in the greater scheme of things, as there are far more things I love about their output than the number of qualms I have.

The second movie. Nice battle sequences, and the subplot was the primary reason why I started frequenting internet Pokemon communities in the first place :lol

In my roughly thirteen years browsing Pokemon communities, I'd have to say we can be incredibly dramatic concerning just about everything.

It doesn't really matter, most fandoms have their extremely-vocal members (although we might have a few more than normal with gen-wars and the like). With enough determination, you can learn to avoid them.

Red & Blue: 8/10
Gold & Silver: 9/10
Ruby & Sapphire: 6/10
Diamond & Pearl: 7/10
Black & White: 7/10

All keeping in context of how I felt about them during their time of release. I replay Yellow and Crystal every year around Christmas, which has helped shape my belief that they've aged pretty well.

Water.

I just like the ones that are aesthetically-pleasing to me, whether they be cute, tough, weak or strong.

Yes, train yo' pokemon and don't cheapen the experience dawg.

No.

Rhyperior.

BW for the story, B2W2 for the gameplay.

Yes.

The first season, the Bulbasaur episode to be more precise.

The first season, but from the beginning up until early Johto (when Shudo helmed the reigns) was when the show was great for what it was. I still watch every now and then (as it stands, I've seen all of the original series, most of AG and DP, and some of BW), but my interest in it has dwindled greatly. Which is unfortunate, since it was my introduction to the franchise.

Here. Facebook pages are too genwunner, /vp/ and other various sites are too anti-genwun and vulgar, and serebii/bulbagarden just don't have as interesting and stimulating discussion. I've found that this place balances it all quite well for everything except anime discussion.

Glaceon.

28. Which Nintendo home console is your favorite?:
SNES.

29. Which Nintendo home console is your least favorite?:
Wii U; the situation is looking pretty dire aside from X.

30. Did you enjoy Pokemon Colosseum or Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness?:
Not really. Colosseum was alright in terms of the story (although gimped because it didn't play like the mainline series by design), but I felt that the first two Stadiums worked better as battle simulators.

Top Bottom