• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

I found Helioptile to be a pretty clever take on the frilled lizard and some sort of parabolic antenna. I only dislike that they gave it no snout and decided to make its head a sphere with features drawn on...did they honestly think it looked better that way?
That's what it's supposed to be? So an evolution could have a dish for a frill.

Now we're talking. It along with Groudon and Rayquaza are my favs of Gen III.
Both are awesome, bonus points to the shiny version of Rayquaza. I'd also add Metagross, Aggron and the Latis to the cool pile.

Why, he's accompanied by some of the best music? How?

Love the music, but as a kid his typing pissed me off, and Rain Dance this, Rain Dance that. Oh and of course Mega Drain. At the time I had no idea how to kill him, as Fire didn't do much and Grass did shit. So..just holding onto a grudge kind of thing.

Though I do hate his design.

Love the music, but as a kid his typing pissed me off, and Rain Dance this, Rain Dance that. Oh and of course Mega Drain. At the time I had no idea how to kill him, as Fire didn't do much and Grass did shit. So..just holding onto a grudge kind of thing.

Though I do hate his design.

I love his typing, nothing has ever done it again and it gives you such a wide access to attacks...but his design is really cool though. I agree it is kinda tough to figure out what you can hit him with though

Theorymon

I wish Beartic was stronger. :(

Beartic actually has a small niche in Ubers. It's the only Swords Dance swift swimmer that can beat the crap out of Giratina AND Groudon at the same time (though in Groudon's case it has to be on the switch, because Beartic is so freaking slow that Groudon outspeeds with Drought and a few speed evs). Also, Beartic learns Encore, so if Beartic switches into something like say.. a Mewtwo using Calm Mind, Beartic can either Encore it to lock it into Calm Mind, or if you have balls, predict a switch and get a free Swords Dance! Beartic is sorta weak though. For example, unlike most physical swift swimmers, it has trouble getting past Ghost Arceus

That being said, I too really want an evolution. It's stats almost make it seem like it's a middle evolution... Maybe a Water / Ice one. Then after a Swords Dance, the Beartic evo could destroy stuff like Ghost Arceus. Plus, Polar Bears do swim!

Firestorm

If people are interested in seeing more of their favourite 'mons and how they stack up, I finished putting together a list of the teams used by the Top 32 finishers at the US National Championships: http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/top-32-teams-at-the-2013-united-states-national-championships/

19 of 24 Pokemon in the Top 4 were unique. Overall, 51 different Pokemon used to hit the Top 32 out of 337 players.

And if you haven't seen finals yet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F67nI6i92FQ&feature=c4-overview&list=UUUIJFJJLhxIrZVdAVdwL3bQ

If people are interested in seeing more of their favourite 'mons and how they stack up, I finished putting together a list of the teams used by the Top 32 finishers at the US National Championships: http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/top-32-teams-at-the-2013-united-states-national-championships/

19 of 24 Pokemon in the Top 4 were unique. Overall, 51 different Pokemon used to hit the Top 32 out of 337 players.

And if you haven't seen finals yet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F67nI6i92FQ&feature=c4-overview&list=UUUIJFJJLhxIrZVdAVdwL3bQ

Talk about Tyranitar abuse.
11 of those teams don't have Tyranitar.

Yay! One person used Mamoswine!

Talk about Tyranitar abuse.

Yay! One person used Mamoswine!

THREE used Scrafty.

tumblr_mde5awWBdc1r1gapro1_400.gif

MikeMyers

5 Gyarados!

Wait, Kevin Reed used 2 Unknowns? What niche do they have in VGC?

It's almost like opinions can be criticized and aren't sacrosanct, especially when you state them in public, you fell for it anyways though, thanks for the bit of fun :p.

As for scrafty, I used it in my first playthrough too, so i did get to use it first chance i got.

I just wanted to see how predictably you'd react to that . I mean, what I said is an opinion as you call it right? I mean I think that's what it was.

It's interesting to see the pokemon competitive players use, especially the less common ones .

All right guys, enough.

Self-moderating doesn't mean bossing the thread around like you own it.

Firestorm

5 Gyarados!

Wait, Kevin Reed used 2 Unknowns? What niche do they have in VGC?
Gyarados was an interesting surprise. I know a lot of people were experimenting with it in the leadup to Nationals but it was cool to see him out there.

And yes, Game Freak made Unown so I could have cool placeholders!

If you really want to go down this road, and just step on everything at this very moment, then go right ahead.

Oh are you threatening me? I find that vastly uncomfortable, I haven't done anything but disagree with an opinion. Anyways stop derailing the thread will you!

I think gyrados is pretty neat, surprised more people didn't use him.

Kokonoe

Banned
Oh are you threatening me? I find that vastly uncomfortable, I haven't done anything but disagree with an opinion. Anyways stop derailing the thread will you!

I think gyrados is pretty neat, surprised more people didn't use him.

Throughout your entire time here you've been disrespectful to me, I really don't understand why you write your posts like you're trying to annoy people. You admit a post above that you were trying to bait tiggerkiddo for your own personal amusement. Is that really all you want do in this thread?

I am not threatening you, that wasn't a threat. I am saying your rudeness is just going to spark more drama for no reason. I don't care who dislikes what, and I really think tiggerkiddo should stop caring about that too.

Thanks a lot! My favorite Pokemon is Garchomp so I'm glad to see somebody used him. <3

Throughout your entire time here you've been disrespectful to me, I really don't understand why you write your posts like you're trying to annoy people. You admit a post above that you were trying to bait tiggerkiddo for your own personal amusement. Is that really all you want do in this thread?

I am not threatening you, that wasn't a threat. I am saying your rudeness is just going to spark more drama for no reason. I don't care who dislikes what, and I really think tiggerkiddo should stop caring about that too.

Nah, I tried to be nice and reason, then I even thought we were becoming friends and everything was all fine, and then it turned out you were saying mean things about this community in other threads and badmouthing some of my friends.Heck I've been ignoring you guys for months and most of my posts arent even written to annoy people, at most teasing . I did this because tiggerkiddo went out of his way to tell people how to behave in this thread over something that rubbed you the wrong way and that bothered me, it bothered the particular person too, he's also said rude things to people too and so have you. I'd like it very much if both of you stopped caring so much what people did, maybe some people would return to this thread, maybe I would just be able to talk about Pokemon and be nice. Either way, enough with games. I apologize for any antagonize on my part, you've guys just annoyed me in many ways and continue to if you keep abrasively self modding. Maybe just maybe we and others can sit down and talk sensibly about this stuff and do something that sticks and doesn't rub everyone the wrong way . But personally, much like a lot of others, I think i'll just be a bit more hands off with this round of community and maybe come back for the next round, have fun you three.

I just want this thread to go back to the way it was. It's no secret that this community has gone through a drastic change this summer, and in my opinion, not for the better.

One of my favourite posters has ceased visiting this thread due to these changes, and it's really started to bother me. We should be self-moderating, not going at each others throats whenever something we don't like is posted. If you personally don't like something, speak up, don't bail out.

Whether or not we like or respect each other, we are a community. We should stop bad-mouthing each other in different threads and either PM or post to someone if their behaviour is bothering us, and I'm going to start now.

Kokonoe and tiggerkiddo, I think you two are overly defensive about things. Don't bail out or report things you don't like, bring them up and discuss them so we know they bother you. The only way things are going to get better for everyone around here is if we all try to make it better. Even if you're not trying to, your actions may come across as controlling which turns people away from discussion and makes them less likely to contribute.

Boss Doggie, you probably shouldn't be so quick to discount the opinions of others. If you disagree with them then that's fine; you're obviously a very passionate, opinionated person. Just try to go on the offensive less and respect that some people don't share your tastes.

I'm not perfect either. I know I can be abrasive and immature often and that it makes people think less of me, but I'll try to change if my actions have offended someone and if it can make me a better person and poster as a result.

I dunno. Sometimes I just feel like the community which used to be my favourite, one which was formerly so welcoming, is now strict and hostile. I think I might take a break from this thread for a while to cool down and collect my thoughts.

I will do my part at least!

backlot

Respect is a two way street. I think everyone could stand to be a bit more respectful here.

PK Gaming

Sees 0 Zoroark and 0 Haxorus

:(

Don't mind me... i'll just go back to playing my fictional metagame where they're decent...

That said, i'm glad that Breloom was common... hopefully XY ends up shaking things up so that my favorites start seeing use in VGCs.

Zeroth

Don't mind me... i'll just go back to playing my fictional metagame where they're decent...

That said, i'm glad that Breloom was common... hopefully XY ends up shaking things up so that my favorites start seeing use in VGCs.

Zoroak is decent against the Battle Subway AI.

Maybe.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
On hindsight it's probably the fanbase on why I hate those two (Mewtwo and Charizard).

Boss Doggie, you probably shouldn't be so quick to discount the opinions of others. If you disagree with them then that's fine; you're obviously a very passionate, opinionated person. Just try to go on the offensive less and respect that some people don't share your tastes.

Actually I'm sorta lethargic lately and I don't recall posting some stuff like... so you can't claim that recently! *waves arms*

Unless you mean the other threads, to which I do!

Firestorm

Marriland used Zoroark if it makes you feel better. He went 1-8 using Zoroark, Zorua, Ditto, Magikarp. I think he had a no-show one round =P

Breloom is actually less common than I think people expected. It had a good showing, but it was definitely different from the simulator metagame where it was absolutely everywhere! Once again proving what happens on PS/PO means very little in the real world.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Also aren't doubles more prevalent in official games? Breloom isn't that hot in doubles.

I wish there's a big site like Smogon but for doubles.

PK Gaming

Marriland used Zoroark if it makes you feel better. He went 1-8 using Zoroark, Zorua, Ditto, Magikarp. I think he had a no-show one round =P

Breloom is actually less common than I think people expected. It had a good showing, but it was definitely different from the simulator metagame where it was absolutely everywhere! Once again proving what happens on PS/PO means very little in the real world.

Ugh

I hate you

I was expecting to you to cheer me up by mentioning a decent player who uses Zoroark in VGCs, but nooooooooope.

At least Breloom & Thundurus-T are good, I guess that counts for something.

Firestorm

Ugh

I hate you

I was expecting to you to cheer me up by mentioning a decent player who uses Zoroark in VGCs, but nooooooooope.

At least Breloom & Thundurus-T are good, I guess that counts for something.
Randy actually loves Zoroark so I'm sure he can talk to you about it.

(he also recognizes it blows sorry mang)

I do think he used it in 2011 though. Can't remember now.

Also 0 Thunudus-T usage. It should be 1 but Fish forgot to use the Mirror after he was given the Thundurus so ended up using Specs Thundurus-I... which worked out for him when someone or another tried to Taunt it and got hit by a Specs Thunderbolt to the face :D

Aggrotek

Hey Firestorm, since you couldn't make it to the HG run, maybe you could guest on our podcast? I think we might be talking about competitive stuff next month and the guys said it'd be cool to have you on the show.

Firestorm

Hey Firestorm, since you couldn't make it to the HG run, maybe you could guest on our podcast? I think we might be talking about competitive stuff next month and the guys said it'd be cool to have you on the show.
I'd be in unless it's on the days I'm busy :) Next month is the Pokemon World Championships!

Top Bottom