• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Ugh

I hate you

I was expecting to you to cheer me up by mentioning a decent player who uses Zoroark in VGCs, but nooooooooope.

At least Breloom & Thundurus-T are good, I guess that counts for something.

You talkin shit 'bout Marriland, brah? You keep this up and I'ma have to do absolutely nothing but cry in the corner.

Kokonoe

Banned
I use to use Marriland back in the DP days.

Also, before I go back to Hulu ad infested One Piece, I have have fixed Flareon back into his hot cheetoes self.

sd85K7S.png

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I wholeheartedly agree. I don't know why, but I just cannot stand Grumpig.

I remember reading that you wanted to quite the fandom after seeing him...

Personally, I find Grumpig to be the one Pokemon I forget about all the time. He's not bad or offensive, and I really like Spoink, I just forget about him.

It doesn't help he has no presence in the games (no one important uses him iirc) or anime (he got like two episodes in Hoenn), I kind of hope he's a native to Kalos, or he gets an evolution lol.

qq more

I use to use Marriland back in the DP days.

Also, before I go back to Hulu ad infested One Piece, I have have fixed Flareon back into his hot cheetoes self.

sd85K7S.png

Like I said the other day, it looks a lot better than the original sprite. It looks like a real fire type now! I wish they kept that color scheme. Made no sense they toned it down...

zroid

Banned
Got Dream Radar last night. It's a lot funner than I thought it'd be. o_O

yeah lol, it's mildly entertaining for a little while, but gets dull super quick

it stays tolerable only while you're playing B2/W2. It's kind of like Dream World in that regard, although far less tiresome. Still waiting for Masuda to tell me what my goddamn berry solution's gonna be in XY.

#teambringbackthepots

Watch Da Birdie

Bellossom.

Was pretty pointless, and it's not a good design either whereas the rest of the family are charming.

DaBoss

The ones that first come to mind with that question are some of the evolutions given to pre-gen IV Pokémon. I think Magmortar looks stupid (so does Magmar), but it does have those cool canon arms and Rhyperior is disappointing, but I think Rhydon could have had a great evo. Electivire, Tangrowth, Magnezone, Yanmega, and etc. are not really needed IMO, but they are pretty good, so I'm glad they made them.

Watch Da Birdie

The ones that first come to mind with that question are some of the evolutions given to pre-gen IV Pokémon. I think Magmortar looks stupid (so does Magmar), but it does have those cool canon arms and Rhyperior is disappointing, but I think Rhydon could have had a great evo. Electivire, Tangrowth, Magnezone, Yanmega, and etc. are not really needed IMO, but they are pretty good, so I'm glad they made them.

Tangela and Yanma were pretty incomplete and weak, I find them to make perfect sense (and their evolutions are relatively conservative more or less).

I kind of have a sore spot for Froslass because it overshadows one of my favorite Pokemon, Glalie.

JoeM86

I remember reading that you wanted to quite the fandom after seeing him...

Personally, I find Grumpig to be the one Pokemon I forget about all the time. He's not bad or offensive, and I really like Spoink, I just forget about him.

It doesn't help he has no presence in the games (no one important uses him iirc) or anime (he got like two episodes in Hoenn), I kind of hope he's a native to Kalos, or he gets an evolution lol.

It was RS that made me disillusioned with the franchise, not specifically Grumpig. FRLG kept me hanging in there, and DP brought back the love.

ufo0272

Neo Member
Why is Helioptile there? It's the coolest Gen VI Pokémon revealed so far!

I dont like it either

Xerneas
Talonflame
Vivillon

Are my top 3, so far, of Gen VI.

My are
Yveltal
Chespin
Pancham

In no particular order

How can people hate Helioptile?

How can people hate that face?

It looks dumb.

Electivire's awesome

Bellossom.
Was pretty pointless, and it's not a good design either whereas the rest of the family are charming.

But.. but.. I lawv bellossom :( it has a cute design

Refyref

I'm actually curious to hear why you feel that way. Not to dispute you, but I'm generally curious because I never really hear anyone dislike RSE.

There's quite a few people that did not like how RSE was going compared to the game before and after it. It had quite a few changes, and was the biggest showcase ever of Game Freak removing quite a few features the were in the previous installment. Add to that the annoying world design and many of the older Pokemon being (initially) MIA, and you can see why it bugged many people, me included.

ufo0272

Neo Member
There's quite a few people that did not like how RSE was going compared to the game before and after it. It had quite a few changes, and was the biggest showcase ever of Game Freak removing quite a few features the were in the previous installment. Add to that the annoying world design and many of the older Pokemon being (initially) MIA, and you can see why it bugged many people, me included.

There's a lot of arguments about RSE, personally it's one of my favorite generation of games, I thought they were fun ans had a lot of diversity. I can totally understand why you and many others didn't like those games and I believe it all comes down to what you want from a pokemon game.

harmonize

My biggest qualm with Ruby and Sapphire was breaking connectivity with the past games, that and franchise fatigue in general were the biggest contributors in coercing me to take a roughly three year break from the franchise up until the months leading to Diamond and Pearl's Japanese release. I still haven't fully beaten either Ruby or Sapphire, only Emerald. Not that they're bad games per se, but as Refyref said, there were just some pretty significant missteps that piled onto the fact that the series was quickly coming back down to reality sales-wise from its RBY and GS high.

Refyref

There's a lot of arguments about RSE, personally it's one of my favorite generation of games, I thought they were fun ans had a lot of diversity. I can totally understand why you and many others didn't like those games and I believe it all comes down to what you want from a pokemon game.

I've got a lot of arguments against RSE. :p
I still love the games, it's Pokemon after all, and I have replayed them quite a few times, but I find them easily the weakest games in the franchise, at least relative to their time.

ufo0272

Neo Member
I've got a lot of arguments against RSE. :p
I still love the games, it's Pokemon after all, and I have replayed them quite a few times, but I find them easily the weakest games in the franchise, at least relative to their time.

Totally respect that man xD I liked RSE as I said before but they're easily the weakest games in some aspects, I can totally see that.

Btw, does any of you care about Pokemon ranger at all? Just curious, I only played the first one and was wondering if you thought the other were any good

Refyref

Totally respect that man xD I liked RSE as I said before but they're easily the weakest games in some aspects, I can totally see that.

Btw, does any of you care about Pokemon ranger at all? Just curious, I only played the first one and was wondering if you thought the other were any good

I actually like the Ranger series a bit, it can be fun sometimes.

As for the sequels, they're mechanically a little different. (maybe due to the development shifting entirely to Creatures while the first was HAL/Creatures)
It may take a little bit getting used to the small changes, but Shadows of Almia improved on a few aspects of the original. Guardian Signs is probably the best one, but I haven't gotten to it yet. :p

qq more

Strangely enough I wasn't really into RSE when I first played Sapphire. Sadly I lost the cartridge on the week I bought it so I never gave it another fair shake until Emerald came out. I bought Emerald and ever since then I ended up enjoying Gen 3 a lot. I don't know what it was but I probably wasn't in the Pokemon mood when I played Sapphire I guess?

Refyref

Strangely enough I wasn't really into RSE when I first played Sapphire. Sadly I lost the cartridge on the week I bought it so I never gave it another fair shake until Emerald came out. I bought Emerald and ever since then I ended up enjoying Gen 3 a lot. I don't know what it was but I probably wasn't in the Pokemon mood when I played Sapphire I guess?

That could very much be the reason.

Personally, Emerald and Yellow are the only third versions I do not prefer to the originals.

ufo0272

Neo Member
I actually like the Ranger series a bit, it can be fun sometimes.

As for the sequels, they're mechanically a little different. (maybe due to the development shifting entirely to Creatures while the first was HAL/Creatures)
It may take a little bit getting used to the small changes, but Shadows of Almia improved on a few aspects of the original. Guardian Signs is probably the best one, but I haven't gotten to it yet. :p

I played a crap ton of the first one, I enjoyed it but didn't feel the other games were too important. The reason I asked was becuase I was thinking of trying one of the others. I guess I'll try Guardian Signs then :)

Refyref

Speaking of spin-offs, I tried the PMD:GTI demo the other week when I got my 3DS, it was much more entertaining than I expected. I've put it into my "get whenever I've got some spare change for a random game" list.

Wichu

I put quite a bit of time into Shadows of Almia. The game is a bit simplistic (what do you expect of a game whose battle system is based on drawing circles around your opponent?), but it wasn't too bad. The music was great, though.

I beat the main story of Explorers of Sky a few weeks ago, and that was pretty good once you got used to the grindiness of dungeons. Again, great music and a surprisingly touching ending, but there were a few difficulty spikes that got frustrating at times (Quicksand Pit, I'm looking at you). I should beat the post-game story at some point.

I've been turned off GTI by the smaller Pokémon selection than previous Mystery Dungeon games and the ridiculously zoomed in view inside dungeons. I want to see my enemies, damnit!

JoeM86

I'm actually curious to hear why you feel that way. Not to dispute you, but I'm generally curious because I never really hear anyone dislike RSE.

Don't get me wrong. RS changed so much for the better. The doubling of IVs, the balance of EVs, Natures, Abilities, Double Battles etc. and these are all amazing parts that make Pokémon what it is.

However, RS as a game is awful. The region is uninspired, with there being way too much water. The story and various parts feel rushed, I mean hell the rival never is battled with the final evolution of their starter. The antagonist plots are nonsensical too. Emerald improved it a bit, but I dunno...RS feels like a miss-step to me.

The Ranger series are among my favourite spin-off games, especially the second and third. I enjoyed the first at first, but after the second and third, it's near impossible to go back to the original.

Spin-off wise, the battles in PokéPark 2 are my most enjoyed thing.

Kokonoe

Banned
Shadows of Almia is my favorite of the Ranger games. I did like the third game, but I felt it's a bit more monotonous and the story isn't as interesting compared to Almia. I did like, however, being able to ride Entei, Raikou, and Suicune. Almia honestly had my favorite story out of all Pokemon DS games.

As for Ruby and Sapphire, I felt they were pretty great games, my complaints being all the diving and lack of previous game features, but it's my third favorite Pokemon game and I adore it quite a bit. I also really liked the Mach Bike segment on the way to Rayquaza, I wish there were more stuff like that. Entertaining little challenge.

ufo0272

Neo Member
Shadows of Almia is my favorite of the Ranger games. I did like the third game, but I felt it's a bit more monotonous and the story isn't as interesting compared to Almia. I did like, however, being able to ride Entei, Raikou, and Suicune. Almia honestly had my favorite story out of all Pokemon DS games.

As for Ruby and Sapphire, I felt they were pretty great games, my complaints being all the diving and lack of previous game features, but it's my third favorite Pokemon game and I adore it quite a bit. I also really liked the Mach Bike segment on the way to Rayquaza, I wish there were more stuff like that. Entertaining little challenge.

The Mach Bike segments drove me mad those choppy controls on the bike was horrible -_-"
I was stuck in Spear Pillar for like an hour trying to get to Rayquaza :p

Edit: Just a question, might be a bit derp but there are three ranger games so far right? And in what order are they?

JoeM86

The Mach Bike segments drove me mad those choppy controls on the bike was horrible -_-"
I was stuck in Spear Pillar for like an hour trying to get to Rayquaza :p

Edit: Just a question, might be a bit derp but there are three ranger games so far right? And in what order are they?

#1 Pokémon Ranger
box.jpg

#2 Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia
box.jpg

#3 Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs
box.jpg

I actually think Hoenn as a region is mostly inspired... on land, at least. It's diverse, it has great locations, good music.

However, the reliance on water routes was baffling. I understand it on a thematic level, but what on Earth were they thinking on a gameplay level?

Refyref

I actually think Hoenn as a region is mostly inspired... on land, at least. It's diverse, it has great locations, good music.

However, the reliance on water routes was baffling. I understand it on a thematic level, but what on Earth were they thinking on a gameplay level?

Yea, half of the land of the region had some nice design... IIRC it falls apart a bit in the later half of the game. Not that it matters, though, half of the world was water, and the water routes are terribly designed to boot.

Like I said, Gen 3 is the necessary evil.

In some of its aspects, I agree, but they could have done a lot so much better.

zroid

Banned
Like I said, Gen 3 is the necessary evil.

Both Gen 3 and 4, imo :lol

They eventually led to what I consider the 6 best games in the series -- HG/SS, B/W, and B2/W2.

We are in the golden era right now. Hopefully X and Y will keep it going. Right now I'm pretty confident!

Macka

Got a question for yous:

Which Pokémon in your opinion has had the least-needed evolution?

112.png

This guy.
Yep, definitely Rhyhorn. Rhyperior flat out ruins the Rhy line.

Lickilicky would have to be up there as well, that thing is an abomination. Probopass is pretty awful too, but then again Nosepass was already bad. While I don't mind Magmortar, I definitely feel the design could have been much better. I feel Bellosom and Ambipom are both really unnecessary evolutions. Lastly, Politoed. I like him from a design POV, but him evolving from Poliwhirl was such a WTF moment for me in Gold when I was a kid. Again, unnecessary and he honestly should have had his own line.

Also, Electivire is a boss and one of my favourite 'mons.

Kokonoe

Banned
I find the Gen IV evolutions of previous Pokemon to not be 'bad', but I just feel most of them just look bizarre when compared to the previous form. The only one I dislike is Probopass, however. I do like the rest.

Yanmega and Gliscor look evil, but cool.

Top Bottom