• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Early Emerald is absolutely amazing. I am convinced it has the best early game out of all the titles, with maybe Yellow giving it a run for its money. But yeah, the region falls apart terribly in the late-game. Rival ends up bombing, excellent maps give way to nothing but sea route after sea route, villains fall apart... Shame considering it started so strongly.

I'd contend that it has the opposite problem to Black and White. Black and White had a slow, unadventurous start, but it has easily the best endgame to be found in Pokémon. Set aside its essential nature of being a circle, and the latter half of Unova is little short of excellent, which makes the initial bit of going through generic caves and forests seem weaker by comparison.

Emerald was so wonderfully designed with the environments that I didn't mind the bunch of water travelling...and sometimes it was kinda fun coming across stuff in the vast oceans. I won't deny there was a ton of water to travel around though

Macka

Eh, I didn't mind the water routes. It seemed so much more open and free to be explored than the land routes, and there were still plenty of trainers and items hidden around. Diving spots were cool too.

I love diving, I hope it returns, or even they expand it some more somehow. Considering we have sky battles now, we should be able to explore high in the skies, maybe there could be exclusive Pokemon up there or something

qq more

I love diving, I hope it returns, or even they expand it some more somehow. Considering we have sky battles now, we should be able to explore high in the skies, maybe there could be exclusive Pokemon up there or something

This sounds like a cool idea. I'm down with that.

backlot

I never really liked diving. Surfing was bad enough before you had to worry about checking above and below the water. If they bring it back I hope they make it a bit more fun.

I never really liked diving. Surfing was bad enough before you had to worry about checking above and below the water. If they bring it back I hope they make it a bit more fun.

What diving really brought to the table was a sense of discovery, which I did enjoy, though it did get somewhat tedious searching for things, there was definitely a sense of mystery exploring it.

Macka

The only thing that sucked about diving was the speed...it was really slow. I mean, first you have to use the HM and watch the animation for that, then you're travelling around at less than walking speed? Annoying.

Theorymon

I'm not a big fan of Hoenn's design... but god damn, I fucking love Emerald, the Battle Frontier made up for EVERYTHING in my eyes! In fact, I'm still bitter that Black 2 and White 2 didn't have a Battle Frontier like Emerald and Platinum, I much prefer Frontier to that World Tournament thing in gen 5!

Kokonoe

Banned
It's the battle Frontier!

Pokémon!

Be the best you can be, and find your destiny!

It's the maaaaasteeer plaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

THE POWER'S IN YOUR HAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!

POKEMON!

Yeah I wish we could cut out the animation bit, fun to see at first...gets real old after the 20th attempt

"Its a big boulder, but a Pokemon may be able to push it aside. Would you like to use Strength?"

"The water is a deep blue... Would you like to surf on it?"

Exploration would be much better if it was also much faster.

Preble

It's the battle Frontier!

Pokémon!

Be the best you can be, and find your destiny!

It's the maaaaasteeer plaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

THE POWER'S IN YOUR HAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!

POKEMON!

HaHa.

You know I haven't really regularly watched the Pokémon cartoon since the Voice changes in the English version, but I think I might give the XY series a chance. Wish Ash wasn't STILL in the series but whatever.

Wonder who he'll travel with this time. I'd like to see that big dude and brown girl from the X and Y games personally

That is something I appreciate about the first two gens, none of those annoying animations when using HM's or the occasional TM that acts like one...like Headbutt or what not.

Makes me wonder how it'll be handled now that we don't have static sprite (frame)s anymore.

I also realized that all the PLDH wallpapers make perfect sense for Metro... Er, Modern UI.

Guys, the Gold 3DS XL isn't exclusive to the Pokemon Centres any more. Other places are selling it, too.

I choose to take this as unambiguous confirmation that they're going to bring it to the West. :D

Kokonoe

Banned
HaHa.

You know I haven't really regularly watched the Pokémon cartoon since the Voice changes in the English version, but I think I might give the XY series a chance. Wish Ash wasn't STILL in the series but whatever.

Wonder who he'll travel with this time. I'd like to see that big dude and brown girl from the X and Y games personally

I haven't watched since Diamond and Pearl. Well, I watched like 2-3 episodes, but for whatever reason, I stopped there. I guess I got tired of the show resetting all of the time and it felt kind of boring to keep going through that over and over.

Guys, the Gold 3DS XL isn't exclusive to the Pokemon Centres any more. Other places are selling it, too.

I choose to take this as unambiguous confirmation that they're going to bring it to the West. :D

....don't get my hopes up! That gold and the design makes me shiver at how great it is.

JoeM86

Only Amazon Japan's Pokémon Store, not anywhere else unfortunately. Japan is starting to treat Amazon's Pokémon Store as an online Pokémon Centre

Only Amazon Japan's Pokémon Store, not anywhere else unfortunately. Japan is starting to treat Amazon's Pokémon Store as an online Pokémon Centre
The point is that we have an Amazon in the West. We don't have a Pokèmon Centre.

Come on, don't take this away from me.

JoeM86

I would be very surprised if at least one didn't come over.

I mean hell

We had the Ruby/Sapphire GBA SPs
groudonsp.jpg
kyogresp.jpg

We got the Diamond/Pearl DS Lite
dpdsl.jpg

We got the Black/White DSis
blackdsi.jpg
whitedsi.jpg

Stands to reason we'll at least get the standard XY 3DS XL
xy1.jpg

Kokonoe

Banned
It's the only thing short of a compelling new revision of the hardware that would get me to give up my Red XL.

Come on, Nintendo, do the right thing.

Same here, best Pokemon themed handheld in a very long time. I'm waiting to just get rid of my Animal Crossing one if it is revealed for USA. Heck, I may even import it if it's only for Europe.

It's like Arceus itself came down and blessed us.

yghpNjx.png

Admittingly, I really could not care less about the blue one.

PIKACHU, THE HORN!

Wait, what?

qq more

Same here, best Pokemon themed handheld in a very long time. I'm waiting to just get rid of my Animal Crossing one if it is revealed for USA. Heck, I may even import it if it's only for Europe.

It's like Arceus itself came down and blessed us.

yghpNjx.png

Admittingly, I really could not care less about the blue one.

Wow, that golden 3DS XL looks more beautiful than I've remembered. That gold...

PIKACHU, THE HORN!

Wait, what?
Finish it off with false swipe!

That screenshot...

Hacked game?

No idea. I was just linked to that pic lol

I love the first, second and third gen equally. Didn't really get into D/P and B/W, never got to the E4 in them. I'm all hyped again for X/Y though, I looove the designs so far.

What was everyones first shiny? My first one was in Silver, got a shiny Hoothoot, which I evolved into a shiny Noctowl <3

JoeM86

The new movie, Extremespeed Genesect: Mewtwo Awakens, opened at #2 in the Japanese Box Office, just behind Monsters University

Magni

Hey, welcome!

Assuming you wont get the gen vi games this year, you could get black 2 to get a bit more of gen v.

Ok thanks, still debating it though, far from finished with Black and I still want to spend some more time in Platinum and SoulSilver.

On that note, I'm trying to complete the Unova Dex in Black, so I turned to the GTS for some of the White-only Pokémon. I managed to get Tirtouga, but Solosis is a lot tougher, people are either asking for legendaries or impossible Pokémon (lvl<9 Conkeldurr... why???).

Does anyone wanna help? I'd also love a Tepig, I got an Oshawott from my JP White but I really don't want to have to restart that game for the final starter since I'm going through it slow as it is, and I want to get at least to the E4 in that game for Zekrom and Thundurus.

Edit:

Also, which scenario do you guys think is more likely to happen? Gen III (RSE/FRLG, all of it!) remakes in Gen VI or the games being rereleased on the 3DS GBA store? Gen III is the only gen I "skipped" since my parents didn't think I needed a new handheld and by the time I was old enough to buy my own I went with a DSlite and Diamond. I played through most of Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed on emulators every now and then (I was a kid and this was a decade ago, there's a statute of limitations on these things, right?), but that's not the same and I want to be able to purchase and legally play those games. Nintendo will keep me disappointed, won't they? :(

Wichu

Ok thanks, still debating it though, far from finished with Black and I still want to spend some more time in Platinum and SoulSilver.

On that note, I'm trying to complete the Unova Dex in Black, so I turned to the GTS for some of the White-only Pokémon. I managed to get Tirtouga, but Solosis is a lot tougher, people are either asking for legendaries or impossible Pokémon (lvl<9 Conkeldurr... why???).

Does anyone wanna help? I'd also love a Tepig, I got an Oshawott from my JP White but I really don't want to have to restart that game for the final starter since I'm going through it slow as it is, and I want to get at least to the E4 in that game for Zekrom and Thundurus.

Edit:

Also, which scenario do you guys think is more likely to happen? Gen III (RSE/FRLG, all of it!) remakes in Gen VI or the games being rereleased on the 3DS GBA store? Gen III is the only gen I "skipped" since my parents didn't think I needed a new handheld and by the time I was old enough to buy my own I went with a DSlite and Diamond. I played through most of Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed on emulators every now and then (I was a kid and this was a decade ago, there's a statute of limitations on these things, right?), but that's not the same and I want to be able to purchase and legally play those games. Nintendo will keep me disappointed, won't they? :(

You're using the GTS wrong. Don't search for a Solosis and try to get a trade that way. Instead, deposit something valuable (even a Black exclusive), and ask for a Solosis. It takes a bit longer, but the GTS will find a trade for you. No impossible offers involved anywhere! Just breed one of your starters with Ditto, and you should be able to get anything you want.

3DS doesn't even have a GBA store at the moment, and Pokémon hasn't appeared on the GB store yet, so Virtual Console releases are very unlikely. I wouldn't bet 100% on 3DS remakes, but it's certainly possible - 3rd gen is definitely overdue for remaking!

You could always Ebay them if you have a GBA/DS. If you do, be very careful you don't get one of the very common counterfeit copies - you have to know what you're looking for. I'm sure PokéGAF could help you out with that :)

At least if you buy a counterfeit off of ebay, you can get your money back but man is it annoying with how many fake copies are out there. I have an extra copy of Sapphire but the darn internal battery is dry...meh

Wichu

At least if you buy a counterfeit off of ebay, you can get your money back but man is it annoying with how many fake copies are out there. I have an extra copy of Sapphire but the darn internal battery is dry...meh

My friend was looking for a 3rd gen game, so he bought a copy of Ruby on Amazon Marketplace - it was a fake (the seller refunded him, but didn't ask for the game back).

I managed to find a real copy of Emerald for him on my second try. The first one I bought because it had a real-looking box (with the holographic pattern and everything), but when it arrived and I had a closer look it was obviously fake - a crappy little instruction manual, spelling mistakes on the box, and a non-shiny label on the cart. Other than the label, the cart itself looked almost legit, with the translucent green plastic and the GBA logo.

The second copy wasn't boxed, but the photos of the cartridge were pretty high quality and I could see that the label was the real sparkly kind. Turned out I was right that time, so all ended well.

Kokonoe

Banned

Save files still work, just certain events like berries don't. I doubt you'll find many that have the batteries still working.

Wichu

Save files still work, just certain events like berries don't. I doubt you'll find many that have the batteries still working.

I think you can replace the battery without losing the save, unlike with the GB games. My Sapphire and Emerald's batteries have run dry, but I'm in no rush to replace them while Emerald's Battle Frontier gambler wants me to do Single Dome runs :p

Magni

You're using the GTS wrong. Don't search for a Solosis and try to get a trade that way. Instead, deposit something valuable (even a Black exclusive), and ask for a Solosis. It takes a bit longer, but the GTS will find a trade for you. No impossible offers involved anywhere! Just breed one of your starters with Ditto, and you should be able to get anything you want.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try that. I was getting tired of catching a Pokémon in Platinum or SoulSilver, transferring it over to Black (why can't we just send ONE Pokémon over??? I know we don't have to catch them all, but still...), breeding an egg, hatching it (yay Flame Body!), finding the person again in the GTS, initiating the trade, only to have it say the Pokémon has already been traded grrrr. It's happened three times since last night already haha.

3DS doesn't even have a GBA store at the moment, and Pokémon hasn't appeared on the GB store yet, so Virtual Console releases are very unlikely. I wouldn't bet 100% on 3DS remakes, but it's certainly possible - 3rd gen is definitely overdue for remaking!

You could always Ebay them if you have a GBA/DS. If you do, be very careful you don't get one of the very common counterfeit copies - you have to know what you're looking for. I'm sure PokéGAF could help you out with that :)

I thought there were already GBA games out on 3DS? (or is this something else? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...3DS_(North_America)#Nintendo_Game_Boy_Advance)

As for buying a cartridge now, I've thought about it many times (I really want an excuse to buy a Micro haha), but I've heard that their inner batteries die just like the GSC ones.. I have four cartridges from Gen II, they're all dead, including my Silver with 400+ hours in it, legitimate "complete" Pokédex (only missing Celebi), and a shitton of legitimate 100s :( I'm just scared to splurge and have that happen again (or splurge and have them be announced for 3DS a month later...)

Zeroth

I thought there were already GBA games out on 3DS? (or is this something else? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...3DS_(North_America)#Nintendo_Game_Boy_Advance)

As for buying a cartridge now, I've thought about it many times (I really want an excuse to buy a Micro haha), but I've heard that their inner batteries die just like the GSC ones.. I have four cartridges from Gen II, they're all dead, including my Silver with 400+ hours in it, legitimate "complete" Pokédex (only missing Celebi), and a shitton of legitimate 100s :( I'm just scared to splurge and have that happen again (or splurge and have them be announced for 3DS a month later...)

Those GBA games are Ambassador games, and as much of a pain it is to later adopters, Nintendo said they had no plans to offer them to everyone.

The batteries do die, but since the saves are saved on the cartridge's flash memory, you will never lose them. At least, my Sapphire is 10+ years and going strong despite having a dry battery :p

Top Bottom