• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

so it stands to reason that if Pokemon X/Y is available on the eshop and you get it from there you would be able to back up your save by copying your SD card?

that is one thing that has always bothered me about Pokemon is that if something happens to your cart you lose a whole lot of playtime. (losing my cart suuuuuuuucked)

They might make the system keep track of your last save and not let you load up the game if you aren't using that save. :/

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
so it stands to reason that if Pokemon X/Y is available on the eshop and you get it from there you would be able to back up your save by copying your SD card?

that is one thing that has always bothered me about Pokemon is that if something happens to your cart you lose a whole lot of playtime. (losing my cart suuuuuuuucked)

It'll probably have a save lock like AC did.

Refyref

You can still backup your save, just not use it to revert saves. Which is a bit inconvenient, since it means you need to back up after every time you play. Thankfully they added a tool for that inside the system.

Okay so backing it up is no good if you have to replace your cart or 3DS due to it being lost/stolen/damaged? That is the main thing I'm concerned about.

You're super screwed if you lose your 3DS because the SD card's data is locked to that 3DS (unless you system transfer, of course).

If you're really worried then I would just get the game physically, only play it at home, and put it back in its case when you're not playing it.

I'm not super worried but it would have been nice if there were a reasonable way to back up.

Anything else I have put that much time into (mmo, etc.) is backed up on servers so I've never lost it. Recently lost my 3DS + cart so I lost tons of EV trained/IV bred pokemon, legendaries, etc.

One thing I'm looking forward to a lot about X/Y would be the backs of our Pokemon:
july_p01_06.jpg

july_p02_06.jpg

Gen I's and V's backsprites are zoomed in a lot so :( and the other gens often have some really weird poses or "camera angles". A lot of the time they also did a very poor job of expressing how big our Pokemon are. Here, however, they're using nice models, and as a result everything actually looks... right. Gen V's did look "right" but they were zoomed in and pixelated as a result.

I guess I'm weird, but it's something I'm definitely looking forward to.

One thing I'm looking forward to a lot about X/Y would be the backs of our Pokemon:
july_p01_06.jpg

july_p02_06.jpg

Gen I's and V's backsprites are zoomed in a lot so :( and the other gens often have some really weird poses or "camera angles". A lot of the time they also did a very poor job of expressing how big our Pokemon are. Here, however, they're using nice models, and as a result everything actually looks... right. Gen V's did look "right" but they were zoomed in and pixelated as a result.

I'm more excited for the fact that I won't just be looking at the back of my Pokemon because the camera moves.
Also why has this thread been pretty dead for the past couple days?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, any chance we might see an XY Anime Trailer attached to the end of the episode?

JoeM86

So, any chance we might see an XY Anime Trailer attached to the end of the episode?

Possible. I'm also thinking there may be a situation like when Birch was first shown in that Johto episode where we get a glimpse of some new Pokémon when Alexa is describing the Kalos region.

I'm prepared for everything

JoeM86

Unlike other franchises, Pokémon has a constant stream of news, events, changes etc. so why do we need to deviate from the topic of discussion?

We've had problems in the past with people getting annoyed with us going off topic.

In fairness, this is part of the double-edged sword of this community. There's constant news, which means lots of threads to talk in, but the main Community thread suffers as a result.

qq more

I don't see a problem with getting off topic every now and then. As long as it's harmless there shouldn't be really any issues.

Bulbasaur

Banned
Getting back to the topic of cartridge vs digital - if you went digital and periodically saved your SD to your computer in the advent of losing/breaking your 3DS you'd always have a back up of your pokemon for when Nintendo reinstated your account, right?

Personally I can't decide which option. I'm so used to having a pokemon game box to put next to the others that I think I'll have to go retail even though for sheer convenience digital makes sense.

Getting back to the topic of cartridge vs digital - if you went digital and periodically saved your SD to your computer in the advent of losing/breaking your 3DS you'd always have a back up of your pokemon for when Nintendo reinstated your account, right?

Personally I can't decide which option. I'm so used to having a pokemon game box to put next to the others that I think I'll have to go retail even though for sheer convenience digital makes sense.

It's probably way easier if it's broken but you still have access to your SD card.

If it's lost, I think you're done for. Hope there's a storage program of some sort.

The only digital 3DS games I've gotten are the ones only available on the eShop. I like having the cart for everything else.

(of course something like steam is a whole different matter)

Boss Doggie

On a related note, people say I'm very passionate. Well yeah, it's because when people say their arguments or opinions, maybe they should structure them properly without sounding so stupid.

People cry about "you should respect my opinion!", but maybe they should think about what they post to begin with.

Why wouldn't it be? This is Japan, remember. In Japan, Pokémon is still huge. It's akin to Doctor Who in the UK. It's a cultural archetype

I always thought big kids shows are in weekends.

Boss Doggie

Yeah seems like primetime in Japan is big anime. And Naruto is after Pokemon.

Also that was a neat episode. Alexa is a bit scatter-brained when it comes to her stuff and Gogoat has to handle that for her. And it seems like it and Helioptile are her no-Pokeball companions.

On a related note, people say I'm very passionate. Well yeah, it's because when people say their arguments or opinions, maybe they should structure them properly without sounding so stupid.

People cry about "you should respect my opinion!", but maybe they should think about what they post to begin with.

People don't have the right to have their opinions go unchallenged, but they do have the right to not be insulted by you for them.

This is Pokémon, for crying out loud. It's not a big political debate, or something life-changing. It's often not fun reading gaming-side Pokémon threads simply because of you hounding innocuous posters who have committed no greater crime than disagreeing with you.

Also, you get to say something like this the instant that all of your arguments are entirely airtight and logically consistent. They aren't, and so you don't.

Boss Doggie

Ahh but I don't mind my opinions being argued, since it opens up discussion. zoukka for example is a good fella for that.

It's when stuff like judging a whole generation's worth of Pokemon by using one or two tolerable to crappy designs - you should confront them because it supports terrible fallacies.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's just a shorthand, though. I mean, if you nag them enough, they may say "In general, Gen 1 designs are superior to Gen 4 designs", rather than "Gen 1 > Gen 4", but was that really worth fighting for?

It's when stuff like judging a whole generation's worth of Pokemon by using one or two tolerable to crappy designs - you should confront them because it supports terrible fallacies.

Why do you need to confront them? What good is it going to do?

If you seriously think that people are going to change their minds or see the light simply because you've been brusque with them over their preference for the older designs, you've got another thing coming.

Boss Doggie

It's just a shorthand, though. I mean, if you nag them enough, they may say "In general, Gen 1 designs are superior to Gen 4 designs", rather than "Gen 1 > Gen 4", but was that really worth fighting for?
Why do you need to confront them? What good is it going to do?

If you seriously think that people are going to change their minds or see the light simply because you've been brusque with them over their preference for the older designs, you've got another thing coming.

It probably won't change their minds, but at the same time you told them and showed others that forming arguments like that is a terrible way of doing things. Even if it's not about Pokemon, the method is still bad since it goes against the basics of forming a point.

That and to show you're a hardcore fan, but I digress. :p

It probably won't change their minds, but at the same time you told them and showed others that forming arguments like that is a terrible way of doing things. Even if it's not about Pokemon, the method is still bad since it goes against the basics of forming a point.

That and to show you're a hardcore fan, but I digress. :p

I guarantee 100% that people who come in to say that they prefer older designs aren't looking for a debate. They're stating a preference, and that's absolutely fine. It really doesn't require your correction.

If you're really concerned about having to show off to others that you're a hardcore fan, that says more about you than it does about them.

Boss Doggie

I guarantee 100% that people who come in to say that they prefer older designs aren't looking for a debate. They're stating a preference, and that's absolutely fine. It really doesn't require your correction.

If you're really concerned about having to show off to others that you're a hardcore fan, that says more about you than it does about them.

You can show your preference without having the need to spout a terrible claim though. Like I said, I'm not bashing people favoring Gen 1 or 2, but I shake my head when they pull crap like "these handpicked Pokemon specifically for argument suck and so all suck" and other similar stupidity. It's mostly that - the need to put down others, wherein my... "passion"... shows.

Hell, I'm not even that into Pokemon, yet it's the only fandom that makes me go "argumentative". Back during B/W's date to release I was teasing/trolling BW with Digimon comparison. :p

Also, hey ScraftyDevil!

37040060r3az2.jpg

ufo0272

Neo Member

Totally agree with you, some pokemon look really wierd backwards in some older games.

Also why has this thread been pretty dead for the past couple days?

i dont know, I haven't really felt like writing anything, maybe the stuff we've been talking about lately is stuff not a lot of people find interesting?

Boss Doggie

Anyone saw the episode? Managed to see it in the stream.

Helioptile's kawaii as fuck and Gogoat's pretty cool.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Generally speaking, though, Gen 4 has the worst designs. Just sayin'.

Top Bottom