• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Magni

Those GBA games are Ambassador games, and as much of a pain it is to later adopters, Nintendo said they had no plans to offer them to everyone.

The batteries do die, but since the saves are saved on the cartridge's flash memory, you will never lose them. At least, my Sapphire is 10+ years and going strong despite having a dry battery :p

Wow, just read about that, who the fuck thought it was a good idea to cut off that possible revenue stream???

And great news about the Gen III saves, I'll have to look at eBay some more then!

qq more

Oddly enough they are planning GBA games for the Wii U.

On the bright side the GBA games fits nicer on the GamePad than they do on the 3DS when stretched. Here's an example of how a GBA game can look on the GamePad res:

gbagamepad.png

Save files still work, just certain events like berries don't. I doubt you'll find many that have the batteries still working.

I've lucked out so far but watch my Emerald battery die lol. Oh well, so long as it holds a save...I don't want a repeat of my experience from Crystal. Play for 8 hours, save and then realize the battery is deadzo.

They might be doing it more out of respect for early adopters.

It's been long enough now, I think the other 3DS owners deserve to be in on the fun now.

I've lucked out so far but watch my Emerald battery die lol. Oh well, so long as it holds a save...I don't want a repeat of my experience from Crystal. Play for 8 hours, save and then realize the battery is deadzo.

It's been long enough now, I think the other 3DS owners deserve to be in on the fun now.

Sure, when they pay the same amount for the console that early adopters did.

The idea is to compensate for the extra $80 early adopters spent. Given how many people have the XL, it's likely they DID pay the same amount as the early adopters, and now they'll be spending even more by buying these games. You make it out like people are freeloading villains for wanting games just because they didn't buy the system before a certain date.

The idea is to compensate for the extra $80 early adopters spent. Given how many people have the XL, it's likely they DID pay the same amount as the early adopters, and now they'll be spending even more by buying these games. You make it out like people are freeloading villains for wanting games just because they didn't buy the system before a certain date.

The XL didn't cost $250.

Early adopters got $80 worth of games due to the $80 price drop. That should match it, I think.

The point is that they wanted some games to be exclusive to early adopters as to not piss them off for dropping the price a few months after release. I honestly don't care if they become available to everyone, I'm just sayin it how Nintendo probably sees it.

Kokonoe

Banned
Sure, when they pay the same amount for the console that early adopters did.

So you're saying GBA games should forever be limited on the 3DS?

-edit-

Ah.

But yeah, it's been quite a while since this occurred. I mean, I bought a Wii U at launch and I didn't get any special treatment there besides 30 cent Super Metroid. Nothing out of shop special like the ambassador titles.

So you're saying GBA games should forever be limited on the 3DS?

-edit-

Ah.

But yeah, it's been quite a while since this occurred. I mean, I bought a Wii U at launch and I didn't get any special treatment there besides 30 cent Super Metroid. Nothing out of shop special like the ambassador titles.

I think it would be best for everyone if they started releasing GBA games on the 3DS eShop, but I completely understand why Nintendo isn't releasing the ten available to ambassadors. They should just release other GBA games if they don't want to release those 10.

Zeroth

The point is that they wanted some games to be exclusive to early adopters as to not piss them off for dropping the price a few months after release. I honestly don't care if they become available to everyone, I'm just sayin it how Nintendo probably sees it.

Indeed, but as pointed above, it has been some time, I don't think people would mind if these games were released (specially because I'm pretty sure 90% of the ambassadors never finished all of their games).

That said, I'm pretty sure the reason they don't release a GBA VC is because it is a bit trickier to emulate GBA games. I mean, my NDS can emulate GBC games just like the 3DS can, but GBA games are a bit different (same for SNES games). That doesn't mean they are impossible to be brought like the GB/GBC/NES emulators (that have save states and Home menu functions unlike the GBA games Ambassadors got), just that they require more effort than Nintendo is willing to give. And considering how they treat their VC, we all know that is not a lot :p

Indeed, but as pointed above, it has been some time, I don't think people would mind if these games were released (specially because I'm pretty sure 90% of the ambassadors never finished all of their games).

That said, I'm pretty sure the reason they don't release a GBA VC is because it is a bit trickier to emulate GBA games. I mean, my NDS can emulate GBC games just like the 3DS can, but GBA games are a bit different (same for SNES games). That doesn't mean they are impossible to be brought like the GB/GBC/NES emulators (that have save states and Home menu functions unlike the GBA games Ambassadors got), just that they require more effort than Nintendo is willing to give. And considering how they treat their VC, we all know that is not a lot :p

GBA games are actually incredibly easy to emulate.

qq more

Low spec computers from the early 2000's can emulate GBA. The 3DS is more than capable of GBA emulation, that clearly isn't the problem as demonstrated by the 10 ambassador games which all run perfectly.

The ambassador games weren't actually running on emulation.

But yeah the 3DS should be capable of running GBA games fine.

Zeroth

Low spec computers from the early 2000's can emulate GBA. The 3DS is more than capable of GBA emulation, that clearly isn't the problem as demonstrated by the 10 ambassador games which all run perfectly.

As I said above, they lack Home option support and save states, running more akin to DS games. I know pretty well the 3DS can emulate GBA games and have expressed as much before, it's just that in order to emulate them properly, Nintendo has to do a bit more than simply slap a standard emulator on it and go their merry way, and that is probably something they consider too much effort.

WHERE MY GBA GAMES ON WII U, NINTENDO?!
Don't worry, they will be releasing them exclusively for early adopters when they drop the price of the Wii U.
As I said above, they lack Home option support and save states, running more akin to DS games. I know pretty well the 3DS can emulate GBA games and have expressed as much before, it's just that in order to emulate them properly, Nintendo has to do a bit more than simply slap a standard emulator on it and go their merry way, and that is probably something they consider too much effort.
They never just slap the games onto an emulator for the VC, they do them individually to make sure they run like they should, so it wouldn't be anymore work than other VC games.

Kokonoe

Banned
Don't worry, they will be releasing them exclusively for early adopters when they drop the price of the Wii U.

I'll take whatever I can get at this point.

Even Sonic 1 GBA.

WHERE ARE GAMES, NINTENDO?

Seriously, they're slowing down with the VC releases again :(

Yeah, pretty much I only have a Wii U for Sonic Lost World atm. Interested in the new Smash, but I can wait on that. (well, I'll have to wait anyways)

Since we now know the Wii U is capable of playing GameCube games without emulation and that is just isn't able to read GameCube disks they should release GameCube games on the eShop. I want that before GBA games.

qq more

Since we now know the Wii U is capable of playing GameCube games without emulation and that is just isn't able to read GameCube disks they should release GameCube games on the eShop. I want that before GBA games.
Problem is that then it wouldn't be able to use Off TV play and be stuck at 480p which wouldn't look good on HDTVs that Wii U is intended for. I think emulation would be the better option for GC on eShop.

EDIT: er, forget emulation. Kiddo has a much better idea below my post.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm amazed by the lack of posts for almost half the day.

Either way, what XY Pokémon do you like the most? There's no need to guess mine.

My order runs something like this, where top is most-liked and bottom is least.

Malamar
Pancham
Pangoro
Gogoat
Talonflame
Noivern
Froakie
Yveltal
Fletchling
Inkay
Xerneas
Spewpa
Skrelp
Clauncher
Spritzee

Ambivalent
Vivillon
Fennekin
Litleo

Dislike
Helioptile
Chespin
Scatterbug
Honedge
Swirlix
Flabebe

Hate-With-The-Fury-Of-A-Thousand-Suns
Sylveon
Newtwo

This is a pretty good hit-rate for me; I'm pretty critical of most designs and I genuinely can't remember liking this many new reveals for a generation in a long time. So far, my potential team in the making is something like:

Froakie (Water-type coverage, lead bro)
Fletchling -> Talonflame (Putting the heat down for when Froakie is a wash-out. Nickname is totally going to be Spitfire)
Inkay -> Malamar (Just in case I need to flip the table on them)
Pancham -> Pangoro (Bringing the pandamonium since 2013)
Gogoat (Greatest Of All Time)

Haven't decided on a sixth slot yet, and Froakie is probably subject to change depending on final form.

Theorymon

So I was playing some coin rush stuff in New Super Mario Bros 2 today, and realized that the game actually wouldn't let me soft reset

This just gave me the horrible thought of Pokemon X and Y not letting you soft reset. Having to exit via the home menu screen or turn off the system to get a good legendary Pokémon... I hope that nightmare doesn't happen. Soft Resetting is bullshit enough, especially since RNG abuse probably isn't going to be possible x_x

Caladrius

I'd have to say Honedge and Malamar, partially due to their designs and mostly due to their typing. That and I now have an excuse to name a pokemon Deathsword.

Don't give me that look.

so it stands to reason that if Pokemon X/Y is available on the eshop and you get it from there you would be able to back up your save by copying your SD card?

that is one thing that has always bothered me about Pokemon is that if something happens to your cart you lose a whole lot of playtime. (losing my cart suuuuuuuucked)

Top Bottom