• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Anura

You are allowed to have your own opinion on the matter.

However, I am also allowed to have an opinion about your opinion, and my opinion of your opinion is that your opinion is wrong. :p

I guess we just need to have the opinion that it might be best to agree to disagree

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
True, but it also gave us Electivire so I forgive it.

Lucario and Honchkrow are cool too.

I am ambivalent about Electivire. Honchkrow is my bro, fine design. Can't stand Lucario, although I think that may be more dislike by association (see: Gardevoir) rather than an actual dislike of the design.

No that is Gen 5

Gen 5 probably has the worst individual designs (Vanilluxe, Garbador), but I feel on average Gen 5 was better than Gen 4 because Gen 5 has better highs (Scrafty). Gen 5 is a bit weird for me because the designs are incredibly hit and miss. I either hate them or I love them, no middle grounds. Gen 4 is just filled with meh-to-meeeeeh

EDIT: It'd be nice to have some sort of "easy comparison" page that gives you a random Pokemon to rate and allows you to actually see how you rate the gens as whole. I'd be interested to see how much opinion is swung by the outliers of each gen rather than the average.

Anura

I am ambivalent about Electivire. Honchkrow is my bro, fine design. Can't stand Lucario, although I think that may be more dislike by association (see: Gardevoir) rather than an actual dislike of the design.

Gen 5 probably has the worst individual designs (Vanilluxe, Garbador), but I feel on average Gen 5 was better than Gen 4 because Gen 5 has better highs (Scrafty). Gen 5 is a bit weird for me because the designs are incredibly hit and miss. I either hate them or I love them, no middle grounds. Gen 4 is just filled with meh-to-meeeeeh

EDIT: It'd be nice to have some sort of "easy comparison" page that gives you a random Pokemon to rate and allows you to actually see how you rate the gens as whole. I'd be interested to see how much opinion is swung by the outliers of each gen rather than the average.

For me while gen 5 did have some really good highs such as haxorous (best dragon type yet) chandelure was ok and victini is adorable

literally beyond those 3 however... I was either indifferent (hydragon, braviery, durant) disliked them (the monkeys, the genies and even scrafty I really don't get the love for him) or hated them (bouffalant, that weird fish thing, garbador, Ice cream etc)

Edit: might have to move serperior into the "ok" catagory

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I wasn't sold on Hydreigon, Braviary or Durant either. Ambivalent towards them. The genies were terrible, the worst trio so far in the series. Bouffalant I sort of like, but it was just Tauros again so the concept felt "used" and lost some of the charm. The rest you mentioned do suck. Mind, Dwebble and Crustle are awesome, Darmanitan is top tier, etc. so I was alright with that. I genuinely struggle to name Gen 4 Pokemon I really appreciated. Not only that, Gen 5 failed and succeeded on its own merits. Gen 4 retroactively ruined some of my favourite Pokemon by giving them shitty final evolutions with terrible designs, so that added insult to injury.

Anura

Yeah, I wasn't sold on Hydreigon, Braviary or Durant either. Ambivalent towards them. The genies were terrible, the worst trio so far in the series. Bouffalant I sort of like, but it was just Tauros again so the concept felt "used" and lost some of the charm. The rest you mentioned do suck. Mind, Dwebble and Crustle are awesome, Darmanitan is top tier, etc. so I was alright with that. I genuinely struggle to name Gen 4 Pokemon I really appreciated. Not only that, Gen 5 failed and succeeded on its own merits. Gen 4 retroactively ruined some of my favourite Pokemon by giving them shitty final evolutions with terrible designs, so that added insult to injury.

I really like dwebble but hate crustle

Also as a concept hydragon sounds AMAZING but their execution of that concept is REALLY dissapointing

.JayZii

Banned
I posted this in the Pokebomb thread, but this one seems more appropriate; my idea for a shiny Orotto.
mPyXBwR.jpg

Aggrotek

I just had the worst battle against the biggest douche bag ever. Kept using Substitute then protect, and would heal with Ice Body up to full HP.

The damn battle lasted 80 turns, and I didn't ONE crit. Then he proceeded to talk shit about how he is so much better. God I am pissed. The only reason he won is because he got a lucky triple protect. I am furious.

Anura

I just had the worst battle against the biggest douche bag ever. Kept using Substitute then protect, and would heal with Ice Body up to full HP.

The damn battle lasted 80 turns, and I didn't ONE crit. Then he proceeded to talk shit about how he is so much better. God I am pissed. The only reason he won is because he got a lucky triple protect. I am furious.

Being "better" at pokemon is so weird to me with all the randomness involved

I used to battle a little competitively myself and it isn't skill based in the least... How can you be better?

Aggrotek

I guess I meant more technical skill

Obviously prediction plays a part but sometimes it's made moot because of the randomness

It's like why people don't use items on melee

This makes no sense. It's not like that at all. You have to have an understanding of possible movesets, stats, items, ect. Not to mention be able to build a team that works together and covers each other's weaknesses while making sure you have counters to specific threats.

Anura

This makes no sense. It's not like that at all. You have to have an understanding of possible movesets, stats, items, ect. Not to mention be able to build a team that works together and covers each other's weaknesses while making sure you have counters to specific threats.

I guess it's just my tendency to separate knowledge from technical skill when I think of "skill"

Skill to me means the technical skill such as option selects in SF2, the one frame links of SSF4, the tight timing of the Ice climbers grabs and even basic special move inputs

I also lump prediction in there aswell

Knowledge is just another side to winning but I also don't consider it in the skill catagory

Things like knowing how much advantage this move has on block or that my medium kick beats out adon's dive but not his EX one and the stuff you listed there

To me pokemon is almost 100% knowledge, not a bad thing mind you just... Different

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Also, at the top levels everyone has all the knowledge, pretty much, so it comes down to prediction and mind-games.

If knowledge is power, then to be unknown is to be undefeatable

Unless if you're Unown. *ba dum tish*

That sounds rough, man. I'm sorry to hear that. If it's any consolation, it sounds like it was close enough to be your victory based on how he got three lucky protects. Don't let the shit-talkers get you down; to quote The Bouncer: "once you lose your cool, you lose the battle". Study on your loss and how you can overcome his tactics; you seem more than capable of doing so.

As an aside, I'm a big fan of your channel, Aggro. I love your LPs, and that podcast is a good listen. Keep up the good work!

Firestorm

Subscribed to Aggrotek's channel. Hopefully some of our subscribers see it and subscribe to get you to that 100!
I guess it's just my tendency to separate knowledge from technical skill when I think of "skill"

Skill to me means the technical skill such as option selects in SF2, the one frame links of SSF4, the tight timing of the Ice climbers grabs and even basic special move inputs

Knowledge is just another side to winning but I also don't consider it in the skill catagory

Things like knowing how much advantage this move has on block or that my medium kick beats out adon's dive but not his EX one and the stuff you listed there

To me pokemon is almost 100% knowledge, not a bad thing mind you just... Different
You're talking about execution / technical skill. That's just one aspect of skill. Spacing? Zoning? All skill as well. With Pokemon, you've got to understand the game state. Much of it is evaluating the solution, understanding your options and your opponent's options, and then providing yourself the best win condition. It's the same as a fighting game. Both players should have pretty much perfect technical skill at top levels. At that level, it's all about understanding your options vs your opponent's options and putting yourself into your win condition.

Pokemon is a fighting game without the reaction time.

Keep in mind that we have had the same World Champion for 3 years in a row in Pokemon. It's not a random game by any means. There are random elements -- much like in Poker -- but it is not a random game.

Magni

Do you think it takes skill to be good at chess?

Magni

Chess has a finite number of possible states.

There's also no RNG to deal with.

True, what about soccer, the most popular sport on the planet? The "RNG" here would be weird bounces/players slipping/etc.

Too much randomness is a bad thing, sure, but a little helps distinguish the great from the good IMO. A great player (at anything, whether it be Pokémon or soccer) knows how to win even when he has bad luck.

True, what about soccer, the most popular sport on the planet? The "RNG" here would be weird bounces/players slipping/etc.

Too much randomness is a bad thing, sure, but a little helps distinguish the great from the good IMO. A great player (at anything, whether it be Pokémon or soccer) knows how to win even when he has bad luck.

I agree. The little bit of randomness is probably what makes battles exciting for me, personally.

Trey

That's not hard randomness, though. All of that "randomness" is brought about entirely by the players' agency, and conditions with which both players are beholden to. Your last sentence breaks down at the highest level of play, where all competitors are great players.

While I like Pokemon's competitive aspect, I personally don't like the built in randomness. You have to account for something that isn't your opponent. The mind games, prediction, team composition and all that is very nice, though.

Aggrotek

Unless if you're Unown. *ba dum tish*

That sounds rough, man. I'm sorry to hear that. If it's any consolation, it sounds like it was close enough to be your victory based on how he got three lucky protects. Don't let the shit-talkers get you down; to quote The Bouncer: "once you lose your cool, you lose the battle". Study on your loss and how you can overcome his tactics; you seem more than capable of doing so.

As an aside, I'm a big fan of your channel, Aggro. I love your LPs, and that podcast is a good listen. Keep up the good work!

I dunno how I missed this post! Thank you for the kind words. It means a lot. :)

Magni

That's not hard randomness, though. All of that "randomness" is brought about entirely by the players' agency, and conditions with which both players are beholden to. Your last sentence breaks down at the highest level of play, where all competitors are great players.

They are all great, sure, but they don't all have the same level of greatness, if that makes sense.

While I like Pokemon's competitive aspect, I personally don't like the built in randomness. You have to account for something that isn't your opponent. The mind games, prediction, team composition and all that is very nice, though.

I have to say, I wouldn't mind a mode without critical hits, and where status moves either hit everytime or fail everytime.

Zaventem

So after not playing pokemon since gen 3 I got ss in February and loved it, now I'm playing white 2 and enjoy it greatly, but I absolutely hate how the in game battle sprites look in this gen, the area the pokemon stand on look less detailed too, they went for a 3d but not really thing and it just doesn't look good to me. Also I really dislike not being able to get berries unless I go to dream world which I see as a step backwards. As far as pokemon designs go coming from someone who's returning to the series gen v designs are so much better than gen iv...with the exception of the legendaries imo. Can't wait to get my hands on pokemon x and y!

Top Bottom