• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Mr-Joker

Banned
Marshadow's trademark appearing around these other early release Pokemon make me doubt it's the third Box Legendary, since they'll never revealed pre-release...

I actually think it might end up being an Event Legendary akin to Victini (and Magearna too I guess) revealed before the game, in fact perhaps it'll be the star of next year's movie and will appear in a teaser trailer at the end of the Volcanion film.

Honestly if Marshmallow is the third "box" Legendary it makes me wonder just how he would be handled as Zygarde got skipped completely and will most likely be shoehorned into Sun and Moon.

So I would rather have a duo than another trio with one getting the shaft again.

GoldStarz

*kicks down the door*

HOLY SHIT GUYS

what if this gen there isn't a legendary trio this gen??

What if there's a Legendary SEPTET.

I was thinking about Marshadow and how having MARS being the third legend would just be so random, like you have the sun, the moon and the ea- MARS?

Then I remembered how Solgaleo was "the lion that devoured the sun" from alchemic folklore and i was like 'Wait... Mars is another symbol is alchemy!" So I rushed to look up alchemic symbols and...

2000px-Sun_symbol.svg.png

Solgaleo-4.jpg
Solgaleo's mark comparable to the symbol Sol, the deity of the metal Gold.

Lunala's 'eye' is surrounded by two crescents that are the symbol of Luna, the deity of Silver.

In addition, an obvious comparison can be made that the names of these deities are found in the names of the Legendaries.

Further support can be found in earlier discussion of Litten's design containing the symbol for Sulfur embedded in his design.

I'm not sure the story will go down the route of Alchemy (X and Y didn't do anything with Norse Mythology that wasn't on the superficial level really), but holy hell I hope it does, there's enough triggers for that direction.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I will feel vindicated if we get a bara tiger

also there's a Magearna TCG card now showing her megaman arm cannon, and Volcanion has a dual type card

Chase17

Olympia gym battle was great. Hopefully I'll be able to catch up before the league episodes start. Is there a date for that yet?

Also I suppose it's time to go through the rest of the mega evolution specials before XYZ.

Finally did my JPN Pokémon importing binge:

Emerald
Fire Red
White
CR1616 5-pack (to put in both JPN and ENG Emerald)
Tri-Wing Screwdriver (to assist with the above)

Just under $45 total. I'm set for the summer I think.

Ok.. So my daughter and myself got into Pokémon in our own way.

I like the Anime and love the games. She's likes the Anime and got into the Pokémon collector Card game. She started collecting the cards recently.

Can someone explain the card game for me? Rules, strategy, and deck building tips so I can help her.

Ok.. So my daughter and myself got into Pokémon in our own way.

I like the Anime and love the games. She's likes the Anime and got into the Pokémon collector Card game. She started collecting the cards recently.

Can someone explain the card game for me? Rules, strategy, and deck building tips so I can help her.
At the store there should be a Trainer Kit or whatever. Pikachu Libre VS Suicune. It'll come with set decks and step-by-step directions to teach you the game. You can play through it with her and you would both understand the game by the end. Alternatively... Pokémon Trading Card Game Online has a nice tutorial and okay single player component.

As for deckbuilding tips... About half your deck should be trainers, supporters, etc. Then 10 to 15 energy and the rest Pokémon. But, for casual play you can honestly just buy two of the same theme deck and then use that to build a decent, consistent deck. The problem with just one of a theme deck is that you won't have enough copies of your main Pokémon to get them consistently. You want 4 of those. Theme decks tend to have like 2 copies of the main Pokémon so if you get two of a theme deck you should be able to slap something playable together.

Also maybe search for a Pokémon League on pokemon.com, there might be one nearby she might enjoy. Young'uns tend to get a lot of love at those.

Daemul

I've never seen the Johto series of the anime. I just watched all of Hoen and Sinnoh so, why not? Is it good?

It's the worst of the lot and is the reason why many of the original fans stopped watching the anime in the first place. Only a handful of my class were still watching it by the time Ash vs Gary kicked off at the Silver Conference, and then the rest rage quit when Gary retired and Misty left. You honestly wouldn't be missing anything if you skip everything before the league, you'd be saving yourself from watching utter dross.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I've never seen the Johto series of the anime. I just watched all of Hoen and Sinnoh so, why not? Is it good?

It's the first post-OS series and it kind of shows, Misty and Brock are pretty stale at that point and it doesn't bring much new to the table---really there's some neat Gym Battles, but the vast majority of it is filler and nobody but Ash has a "goal" to work towards. There's also no reoccurring rivals really, one sort of starts as that but basically fades out for the majority of the show, a lot of focus is given to Ash's Kanto Starters hurting how much time his new guys get, and overall there's a sense of the writers not knowing where to go.

Not all of it is bad, though. There are some hidden gems throughout the show, with two pretty great Team Rocket Arcs based on Whirl Islands and Lake of Rage, some rather neat fillers here and there, and the Johto League is pretty ace, but you'll probably be bored for the rest of the 100+ episodes. Generally it's agreed Johto Journies, the middle season, is the fucking worst because nothing happens. Master Quest is swell though.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I am one pokemon away from catching them all, except for legendaries but that will be done by the end of the year. If anyone has a fabled Hitmontop hit me up. I'll trade you for anything, anything except genesect basically.

Menitta

PSA: Pokemon Ranger GS is being added to the EU eShop on Wii U. I'll ignore the fact that NOA sucks and say go buy it.

Also, where can I find a Fire Stone in SS?

Nothing quite brings home how far we've come with trading and communications with this series than trying to get Pokémon from Ruby and Sapphire up to the 3DS games.

Pal Park... please kill me.

Sami+

So I just started playing Showdown today - got a Gen IV team up and running (Gen IV was my favorite) and just made some slight tweaks to shift it over to Gen VI. Kinda sucks that Infernape and Celebi are both much weaker in the new meta but eh I like them so I'm tryna make it work. You guys play Showdown? My username is CoolGuySami.

Boss Doggie

It makes you wonder why they had those time limitations back then.

Oh yeah, they're gonna announce the winner of the elections today.

Kneefoil

Nothing quite brings home how far we've come with trading and communications with this series than trying to get Pokémon from Ruby and Sapphire up to the 3DS games.

Pal Park... please kill me.

You're at least using the HGSS pal park, right?

I was, but I'd actually forgotten that the DPP Park had the 24 hour restriction.

Christ.

They... removed it?

That would've been nice to know when I did the mass migration from FireRed. >_>

what's the chance of non legendary/mythical winning that election
or non-1st gen too
edit: oh greninja won... kinda forgot his popularity atm lel

Remind me again, who won the last time a similar, Pokémon-giving poll ended?

I remember some poll in Gen V where Arceus won. People (including me) wanted Ditto to win so Imposter would be legal but it ended up being released eventually though.

Also, I remember Mudkip being in at least the top 10 lol.

Boss Doggie

See, so while popularity has some hand in it, in the end it is still a distro focused poll. Even explains why Archeops being relatively high (the d remote poll).

Actual popularity stuff in Japan, at least in my observation, is through survey. They want to know for instance what is high on male and female samples.

And yeah that was the Dream World poll. People wanted Ditto but Japanese fans really wanted that Arceus lol

New Magearna info is apparently being revealed in Corocoro, we don't know if it will have anything to do with the games though.

See, so while popularity has some hand in it, in the end it is still a distro focused poll. Even explains why Archeops being relatively high (the d remote poll).

Why would Japan want Archen/Archeops? Aren't they available by using Rock Smash in Gen VI?

Top Bottom