• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Firestorm

I meant the legendary/primals/megas rulesets. Watch them put Mega/Reversion (and even legendaries) on the same singular option.
What they mostly need to do is either fix how Mega Evolution works (regardless of if they ever do GS Cup again) and make Primals count as a Mega.

Or just remove Megas considering that's easier and I don't know if I trust them to balance them correctly. I think there's really only one Mega that showed the full capabilities of the Mega Evolution system which is really unfortunate.

Vena

What they mostly need to do is either fix how Mega Evolution works (regardless of if they ever do GS Cup again) and make Primals count as a Mega.

Or just remove Megas considering that's easier and I don't know if I trust them to balance them correctly. I think there's really only one Mega that showed the full capabilities of the Mega Evolution system which is really unfortunate.

I think a lot of them open up build options, but right now builds are just drowning in Primals+Legendaries with the Primal Duo, Xerneas, and, of course, Smeargle (who has Legendary moves, ban his ability to bring non-National skills). Put Legendaries, Megas, and Primals on a one-per team option (ban Legendary Megas), and let it go from there.

Sandfox

I think a lot of them open up build options, but right now builds are just drowning in Primals+Legendaries with the Primal Duo, Xerneas, and, of course, Smeargle (who has Legendary moves, ban his ability to bring non-National skills). Put Legendaries, Megas, and Primals on a one-per team option (ban Legendary Megas), and let it go from there.

That won't be an issue after this format lol. Dark Void needs to be banned though.

Parental Bond could use a nerf, but I don't see a problem with Mega Pokemon.

Parental Bond would be better if it split the damage evenly into a 2-hit move. That way it doesn't end up doing insane amounts of damage (M Kanga doesn't need more Attack power than it already has) but still breaks Sash and Sturdy.

Vena

That won't be an issue after this format lol. Dark Void needs to be banned though.

Unless they add another round of primals or some "side" mega evolution that doesn't fall under the Mega bracket. But my idea comes from the concept of treating Mega as a Legendary in affect as the stats more or less match up or the affect greatly impacts the viability of the mega-evolved pokemon through typing or ability.

Sandfox

Unless they add another round of primals or some "side" mega evolution that doesn't fall under the Mega bracket. But my idea comes from the concept of treating Mega as a Legendary in affect as the stats more or less match up or the affect greatly impacts the viability of the mega-evolved pokemon through typing or ability.

I don't really get what you are asking for lol. The current rule where cover legendaries are allowed won't be around until the last year of gen 7 following the current trend and if you put megas in that category they would just be straight up banned. You also have to take into consideration that while Mega Pokemon have pumped up stats they have restrictions as well. I would certainly like to see adjustments like we got going from gen 5 to gen 6 though.

Parental Bond would be better if it split the damage evenly into a 2-hit move. That way it doesn't end up doing insane amounts of damage (M Kanga doesn't need more Attack power than it already has) but still breaks Sash and Sturdy.
That might be too big of a nerf lol.

That might be too big of a nerf lol.
Thought about it more, that's probably the biggest nerf they could give it other than just removing Kangaskhanite. Better option might be only placing the move effects on the first hit (removes double flinch chance, swords punch).

Firestorm

6th gen's power creep was awful. It eliminated any variance in pacing. The way Mega Pokemon are used is boring. The one Pokemon who I was referring to as actually utilizing the mechanics of Megas in an interesting way is Manectric. Manectric can be used for two different functions (Lightningrod support or Intimidate and damage) which has some strategy for when you Mega vs don't. That's the unique aspect of Mega evolution over regular evolution. It allows you to change formes in the middle of a game. Always hitting it on Turn 1 isn't interesting.

Not to mention Mega Charizard, Kangaskhan, Salamence, and Mawile are all stupid powerful.

I really wish we could have something similar to the format in 2013 minus gems with Gen 6's nerfs on crits / sleep.
Just ban big legendaries
Though it was a shortened season, 2010 had quite possibly the most interesting teams and archetype variety in the history of the World Championships. GS Cup is not the issue.

Bulbasaur

Banned
Top 8 Japan Nats teams, courtesy of GENGARboi:
Cl5wvAZUYAAruXf.jpg

I swear that the battle director from GF, who was one of the commentators, had a "We've made a huge mistake" expression on his face for a significant portion of the stream. lol

That variation!

Seriously that is so incredibly boring and gamefreak should really do some thing about it. I know not every poke can be viable but goddamn..

Kyzer

Banned
Top 8 Japan Nats teams, courtesy of GENGARboi:
Cl5wvAZUYAAruXf.jpg

I swear that the battle director from GF, who was one of the commentators, had a "We've made a huge mistake" expression on his face for a significant portion of the stream. lol

ok thats bad

maybe once they add MORE megas and legendaries it will be more varied lol

Ryan_09

M-Kangaskhan/Smeargle/Xerneas flares up my anxiety so much. M-Salamence is a joke for my team thankfully; I have Thunderwave, priority Will-O-Wisp and Taunt for it. I also LOVE just spamming Icy Wind. Groudon tends to go down easy for me with Air Lock Waterfall/Focus Sash.

But man... that above combo. I have to worry about whether Kangaskhan will Mega evovle or not... if it use Scrappy-Fake Out, my whole team is in trouble. Then Smeargle could have Focus Sash or Choice Scarf. And what if they both have Fake Out? And Dark Void... blech. If I can't get a Fake Out/KO combo before it uses Dark Void, that's probably game. Mega Lopunny terrifies me for similar reasons. Sableye is the glue to my team right now. XD

At least it's likely that Parental Bond is getting a nerf in Sun/Moon.

Megas in themselves don't need to be banned, but the abilities and potentially the stats of the problematic megas should just be toned down. Box legendaries and their Primals really need go though.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I decided to do my first mono-theme run through a Pokemon game, Fighting-type through XY with Tyrouge (gonna leave its evolution to chance), Hawlucha, Pancham, Shroomish, Poliwag, and Mankey.

I gotta say this game seems slower and slower every time I pick it up---Sun and Moon looks a lot quicker to me from the previews we've seen.

JoeM86

Yeah Megas won't be banned or removed. That's a pipe dream. Parental Bond will likely be nerfed, but you're not going to get them removed or banned from battle

Vena

Yeah Megas won't be banned or removed. That's a pipe dream. Parental Bond will likely be nerfed, but you're not going to get them removed or banned from battle

Oh I don't want megas banned (if anything, I only think Mega-Khan is "bad" everything else has a build niche/cornerstone but isn't outright game breaking), I am more against some of the dumb legendaries (cover, for instance) and Primal Reversions if anything.

Hey guys, I missed manaphy, and I was kind of in charge of getting the legendary pokemon for my girlfriend over the summer. Anyone have an extra manaphy and is willing to help me out? I will pay with a steam game of your choice that's like ten dollars or less. ^^;

Hey guys, I missed manaphy, and I was kind of in charge of getting the legendary pokemon for my girlfriend over the summer. Anyone have an extra manaphy and is willing to help me out? I will pay with a steam game of your choice that's like ten dollars or less. ^^;

I can help. The servers seem to be down but once it comes back up we can trade.

Add me. My FC is in my Profile. IGN Michael.

Do you need a Darkrai code?

I can help. The servers seem to be down but once it comes back up we can trade.

Add me. My FC is in my Profile. IGN Michael.

Do you need a Darkrai code?

Ah, man. Thank you so much! I just added my FC to my profile, and the IGN I'm using will be Rinehart. I only need a Manaphy, I forgot that it only went to the 24th and not whole month. But yeah, let's set something up once the server comes back up then.

I can see it happening, but only in order to replace it with another mechanic. No way in hell are they going to get rid of it without replacing it though.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Give every Pokemon a Mega and then ban all normal Pokemon. Then everything will be "even" again!

GoldStarz

They've been doing all day, the eShop was supposed to be up almost 6 hours ago. I wouldn't count on the time listed being accurate.

They've been doing all day, the eShop was supposed to be up almost 6 hours ago. I wouldn't count on the time listed being accurate.
The Pokemon Global link one says from 7pm EST-11pm EST. I was using bank and transfer all day right up until 7pm so it's accurate (I was actually just about to bring some from transfer into bank when it switched lol). According to Nintendo's website they're doing maintenance to different services all day until an hour from now.

GoldStarz

The Pokemon Global link one says from 7pm EST-11pm EST. I was using bank and transfer all day right up until 7pm so it's accurate (I was actually just about to bring some from transfer into bank when it switched lol). According to Nintendo's website they're doing maintenance to different services all day until an hour from now.

And they've been updating that info (on Nintendo's site) all day, although they started the leaderboard type of updates much later. I know, I have literally been waiting to get on all afternoon

Added you yesterday. I just PM'd you a Darkrai code. Did you want a random legendary or code?
Oh that's right my memory is horrible. Thanks code is probably easier for you. I know there's a bunch of legends I missed.

Ah shoot better hit the sack for now got work in the am :(

It should be noted in vgc16 that even if big six variations are prominent, every tournament ia different. Many countries have ended with a good variation in top cut, while others stay with the big six as usual.

What I find interesting is the implicit rivalry between dual primals, groudon + xerneas, and rayogre, even when teams of groudon + yveltal are winning nats.

Following the vgc16 since the beggining, becomes interesting how clefairy has made a difference in some cases.

Still, banning legendaries for the next year is probably the way to go. We need to see those new pokemon in action.

Chase17

I literally had the whole month and forgot to download Manaphy *face palm*

Anyways still waiting on any news about Detective Pikachu. Unless I've missed something, I'm surprised there hasn't been any questions asked about an episode 2 or localization in an interview or something.

Also I'm 2 episodes into XYZ and am hoping to catch up prior to when the league starts.

Vena

If the Big 6 become a real dominant end result come the finals, I fully expect some very narrowly aimed counter builds to show up in the top, if not just outright winning. Its going to be some odd-ass combination like Palkia and Mega Sceptile.

Sandfox

If the Big 6 become a real dominant end result come the finals, I fully expect some very narrowly aimed counter builds to show up in the top, if not just outright winning. Its going to be some odd-ass combination like Palkia and Mega Sceptile.

The chances of a counter team actually winning seems low. While there are strategies to counter Big 6 with the majority of players will be running that team and you may potentially be sacrificing comfort in other matchups that can still potentially take you out.

Top Bottom