• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Wiseblade

I need some help coming up with nicknames for the following Pokémon:

Blaziken
Serperior
Hippowdon
Ferrothorn
Raichu
Greninja

Any suggestions?

Articalys

Maybe because they already planned to do that in BW but failed. I guess they still wanted to execute the concept once, after their previous attempt was canned.
You mean whatever arc they intended to start with the Rocket vs. Plasma episode early on that got cancelled, or Episode N?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Why does everyone ignore Ash's wins and then call him a loser.

Because they are from folk who don't watch the animé who love to move goal post.

I mean I wrote a list of achievement that Ash has done compare to origin Red and folks just started dismissing Ash defeating the Evil team, legendary Pokémon, winning the Orange Island and Battle Frontier.

They just keep focusing on Ash losing the league and failing to understand that even if Ash did win, he would get reset regardless.

Honestly I have just decided not to bother talking about the animé as it wasn't worth getting into an argument against stranger on the internet over a kid's cartoon designed to promote the games.

SfnRgu4.jpg

Whoa heavy.

So does anybody know the reason why they've finally been making a concerted effort to have a "serious" plot with XY&Z?

Probably to make up for the Team Flare in the game being awful.

It's a shame that the animé counterpart is outshining the game version.

I gotta say I really am just in love with gen 6. It's just so damn playable. If they can have the single player quality of BW with the QoL of gen 6 Sun/Moon could easily be the best game in the series

Love Pokebank too.

I am currently playing Pokémon Ruby and so I am really enjoying it which is surprising as when I first played it was I meh towards it.

Which is why I am excited to replay X and Y as I am curious to see how I will take to gen 6 as after playing Sun and Moon. On the flip side I am nervous of replaying Gen 4 as I loved that gen and worry that it might not live up to my memories.

Helen Shivers

Neo Member
I'm new to breeding for shinies and I was wondering if using an everstone on the mother can affect the shiny chances in any way? It seems like it is taking forever (I'm trying to get a shiny Tyrunt btw, I've probably hatched 500+ eggs so far and I got a shiny Buneary in like 40 eggs but wasn't using an everstone then.)

gardfish

I'm new to breeding for shinies and I was wondering if using an everstone on the mother can affect the shiny chances in any way? It seems like it is taking forever (I'm trying to get a shiny Tyrunt btw, I've probably hatched 500+ eggs so far and I got a shiny Buneary in like 40 eggs but wasn't using an everstone then.)

Nope, doesn't affect the odds at all. You just got lucky with the Buneary.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Blaziken
Serperior
Hippowdon
Ferrothorn
Raichu
Greninja

Any suggestions?

Blaziken- KFC
Serperior- Kaa
Hippowdon- Puff-Puff
Ferrothorn- I seed you
Raichu- Raiwho?
Greninja- Never bet on me as I will lose the league final and trigger a lot of people at the same time.

Blaziken
Serperior
Hippowdon
Ferrothorn
Raichu
Greninja

Any suggestions?

I used to have a hard time coming up with nicknames, then I saw Projared's Nuzlockes, where he just sorta makes random sounds and links it together until he has a name he likes

Blaziken - By.. Bytooo... Bytoon

sure, go with Bytoon

Congrats, was any of the advice helpful?

Clay looks pretty monstrous against your current team, although Hitmonchan with better STAB and elemental punches would be pretty useful in that fight

Why'd you put it in spoilers? I almost wasn't going to read it.
Yeah your strategies helped a lot, I remember Clay being really hard in Blaze Black 1. It was mainly his Excadrill and Seismitoad. Can't remember if he uses the same team in 2. I wanted to hang on to Hitmonchan because I never used one before mainly going for Lee, but it sounds like he'll be useful so I might bring him back, but I going to drop one of my fighting types since I don't like having two. I think I'll eventually need a water type at some point too.

Edit: Tried to use Elesa's team on Showdown, but it says Flying Gem is unreleased?

So what regions are based where?

I know Kanto and Johto are in Japan with Alola in the United States (Hawaii)

What about the rest?

My daughter ask me one of those "if Pokémon were real questions" and didn't fully know how to answer it but told her I'll find out and tell her in the morning when I take her to school.

Her question was, if Pokémon were real which ones would realistically be in our area?

I told her each region has its own Regional Pokémon habitat. We'll probably see some Pokémon from Alola and any other region based in the United States. Then I told her I find out where the other regions take place.

spiritfox

So what regions are based where?

I know Kanto and Johto are in Japan with Alola in the United States (Hawaii)

What about the rest?

My daughter ask me one of those "if Pokémon were real questions" and didn't fully know how to answer it but told her I'll find out and tell her in the morning when I take her to school.

Her question was, if Pokémon were real which ones would realistically be in our area?

I told her each region has its own Regional Pokémon habitat. We'll probably see some Pokémon from Alola and any other region based in the United States. Then I told her I find out where the other regions take place.

Kanto - Kanto
Johto - Kansai
Hoenn - Kyushu + Okinawa
Sinnoh - Hokkaido
Unova - NYC
Kalos - Northern France

Alola will have a similar climate to Hoenn, and you can expect imports from both Unova and the Japanese regions.

Kanto - Kanto
Johto - Kansai
Hoenn - Kyushu + Okinawa
Sinnoh - Hokkaido
Unova - NYC
Kalos - Northern France

Alola will have a similar climate to Hoenn, and you can expect imports from both Unova and the Japanese regions.

Nice and thanks for the reply.

So two regions in the US? Nice. I'm going to print out a picture list of Pokémon for her to see.

Heh, when Sun and Moon come out I'll probably only use Pokémon that's only in the regional Unova and Alola Dex.

I'm also going on Youtube to see if there's videos of the real life locations of the games.

Sun/Moon Spoilers

So remember when they said that people could get a part time job throwing pyukumuku into the ocean, well that's actually in the game as a money making thing.

Kinda haven't played Pokemon in forever..

Watched the World Championships and I have a question. Why are some pokemon banned from the world championships? Do they have move sets that are not fair? Can anyone give me some examples?

Watched the World Championships and I have a question. Why are some pokemon banned from the world championships? Do they have move sets that are not fair? Can anyone give me some examples?

The only pokemon banned this year were mythicals, which is more a matter of fairness than their power since mythicals are only available through special events through stores and wifi and not available in normal play (Though I think Deoxys should have been allowed this year, since ORAS let you catch it like a normal legendary for once).

There are also two restricted legends allowed per team. These are cover legends and Mewtwo, and are normally banned because they are incredibly powerful, boasting BST 70-80 higher than anything else in the game (This is barring Megas, since those get extra bst in exchange for not being allowed a useful hold item and you can only have one mega in any given battle). Zygarde is also included in this for some dumb reason, even though it really shouldn't be because Zygarde does not have a high BST (It's the same as non restricted legends and psuedolegends like Dragonite)

ash_ag

Only Mythical Pokémon (plus Phione) were banned this year and the reason is not necessarily that they are unbalanced compared to the rest (some are, others aren't), but that they aren't accessible through normal gameplay. They are those Pokémon that can only be obtained in limited events. In past years, it has also been common to restrict Mascot Legendaries (ie. Pokémon like Dialga, Reshiram, Xerneas and Mewtwo) as well as Mythicals. Those two groups are typically the strongest, most deliberately unbalanced Pokémon in the game.

That doesn't mean that lesser Legendaries and regular Pokémon can't also be unevenly stronger, but official tournaments don't tend to use unofficial tier systems like Smogon's. There are definitely cases of Pokémon that have ended up being unevenly strong and hence over-represented in tournaments, like Mega Kangaskhan, Aegislash and Landorus, but have been allowed despite that. It's possible that Game Freak will nerf those in subsequent releases though, unlike Mascot Legendaries and Mythicals.

Kyzer

Banned
Yo! This is promising! Hoping there's more vary side quest!

Put some of those Fantasy Life Quality of Life side quest ideas in this game gamefreak or just my MC working a side job at a burger joint for that extra $$$.

Edit: what's V-Jump and when was this release?

Edit 2: Also thanks for the Link. Don't want you thinking I'm ungrateful.
:)

my exact thought! sidequests please!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I love how it's quiet in that video except for the ocean waves, very atmospheric...

Another neat thing is you can see the entirety of a swimmer's body, the lower half beneath the waves, instead of them just being the top half sticking out of the water.

my exact thought! sidequests please!

While this is technically a fetch quest, it's very short and thus not annoying but has very direct ties to the setting. I would not mind there being a lot of small tasks that pertain to specific parts of the alola culture.

Kyzer

Banned
Today I learned that Start operates the PSS/Amie/ST and isn't the same thing as the X button

While this is technically a fetch quest, it's very short and thus not annoying but has very direct ties to the setting. I would not mind there being a lot of small tasks that pertain to specific parts of the alola culture.

Don't worry, they will integrate fetch quests at a much higher level than that, such as island trials. Lol. Not really a problem as long as they do it right, like you described. All quests in any game can be boiled down to something mundane, they just have to walk that fine line.

Unintrusive/fun to complete/reward incentive

platocplx

So I got pissed that i have to win master contests in all 5 categories to get lucarionite, And now im kind of addicted to pokemon contests LMAO. I banged through the Toughness and Coolness working my way through beauty now and i should finsish clever and cute today lol.

The only other one that is totally insane is that you have to capture 1000 flags in the secret bases, I really have no idea why they added this mechanic in the game. Does anyone have fun with the secret bases?

Rutger

Banned
The only other one that is totally insane is that you have to capture 1000 flags in the secret bases, I really have no idea why they added this mechanic in the game. Does anyone have fun with the secret bases?

Secret bases are amazing because Blissey Bases exist. Leveling up Pokemon has never been better, I'm really glade I those exist in the game I finally decided to build a living dex in.

Other than that I have no use for them, but I will greatly miss them for that reason alone.

Top Bottom