• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

So back when I was first playing through X I wasn't as deep into the series as I'm trying to get now. I just realized I set my message as "Shiny" not even knowing about actual shiny pokemon. No wonder people always wanted to trade with me.

Today I learned that Start operates the PSS/Amie/ST and isn't the same thing as the X button

Don't worry, they will integrate fetch quests at a much higher level than that, such as island trials. Lol. Not really a problem as long as they do it right, like you described. All quests in any game can be boiled down to something mundane, they just have to walk that fine line.

Unintrusive/fun to complete/reward incentive

I don't expect it to happend this Gen because GameFreak may just be starting with side quest in the mainline games but I would love it if they started doing side quest that becomes side stories.

The Pokémon world and lore is ripe and bursting at the seems with stories to be told that's not part of the main plot or it can help build and connect to the main plot.

Kyzer

Banned
I don't expect it to happend this Gen because GameFreak may just be starting with side quest in the mainline games but I would love it if they started doing side quest that becomes side stories.

The Pokémon world and lore is ripe and bursting at the seems with stories to be told that's not part of the main plot or it can help build and connect to the main plot.

I agree. I want the first two gyms of XY to be the pace of entire games, and filled with more things happening between major cities.

So next month's corocoro is on rockruffs secret right? Super curious how it ties to the starters
So I got pissed that i have to win master contests in all 5 categories to get lucarionite, And now im kind of addicted to pokemon contests LMAO. I banged through the Toughness and Coolness working my way through beauty now and i should finsish clever and cute today lol.

The only other one that is totally insane is that you have to capture 1000 flags in the secret bases, I really have no idea why they added this mechanic in the game. Does anyone have fun with the secret bases?

It wasn't until I revisited the game a year after beating it that I started having a blast with secret bases. I loved decorating my base and basically having my own gym, and sharing qr codes with friends. Also Blissey gyms are a godsend

But yeah 1k flags is a bit much lol

brinstar

I recently did the Looker sidequest in X version and I was like, "why can't there be little vignettes like this during the main game?"

Had a interesting conversation this morning with my daughter about Pokémon.

Kid: I don't think you play Pokémon in a realistic way.

Me: What do you mean?

Kid: if Pokémon was real you wouldn't have access to every Pokémon to build a battle team. Dad, at worst you would only have Pokémon in the Unova region and at best you would only use Pokémon in the Unova and Alola Region.

Me: How is any of that bad?

Kid: Your 2 favorite Pokémon aren't in the regional Dex for Alola or Unova.

Me: I'm not sure what the Alola regional Dex looks like yet but I see what you mean. Also, if Pokémon were real we wouldn't be standing here. We would be on a adventure of a life time with our Pokémon!

Kid: Dad, you need to play Pokémon and only use Pokémon that would realistically be in the United States habitat. Even if you battle other people.

Me: Ok.

Kid: Only the people who make Pokémon games can say what Pokémon are in the United States. Only Pokémon who are in a regional Dex that's based on a region in the United States you could use.

Me: is this about the Documentary about animals in their natural habitat you started watching?

Kid: Yup. Even Pokémon can ruin a habitat if it's illegally imported into a region. Promise?

Me: Ofcourse

Looks like I'm benching my Dragonite and Weavile..

;_;

Nice story! This was my favorite bit.

That part caught me off guard too. Lol.. she really understands the infomation she's taking in. She trap me with that promise though.

How you gonna get outsmarted by a kid

She maturing. She went from being bratty and young minded to a maturing young girl. I'm not use to her paying attention to anything that's not Transformers, Iron man, or Pokémon. Lol..

She caught me off guard.

Dang Gridlock lol. No way I let that keep me from using my Greninja or Blaziken in Sun/Moon lol.

Lol.. Gotta be realistic with make belief monster!

I'm going to keep promise though. What she said does make some sense.

I recently did the Looker sidequest in X version and I was like, "why can't there be little vignettes like this during the main game?"

I would love for more stuff like Looker's sidequest or Sea Mauville, little things like Pyukumuku are cute and definitely add to the setting but I think some narrative arc really ties games together. I do think that we'll get some small stuff like talking to Island Captains outside trials (We see Mallow in the farm like area, which seems to be after her trial) so there might be some extra narratives for some of the trial captains.

I'm definitely betting on a Zygarde Postgame though.

I'm hoping that GameFreak is testing the waters with the Looker Quest and the Delta Episode for the experience of doing it so that they can starting adding them during the main quest. I liked the Looker quest alot.

Dragonite has already been confirmed for the Alola Dex via the Japanese site though. lol

Lol.. I know but I need it confirmed in a language I can read.

1. I don't want to get my hopes up because if it turns out the my favorite wasn't in this and I allowed myself to believe I would be crushed harder than when Ash lost this past league.

2. My kid would think I'm trying to scam her if I took her to the Japanese site. She's going to want to see the reciepts. I can't destroy our natural habitat with these Pokémon. Lol..

-GJ-

I had to restart Y because I lost my savefile and now I'm looking for a Ditto to breed with. Can anyone trade me one? It would be much appreciated!

I just found out about the looker quest a few weeks ago and finally started it. I like it. So far I'm enjoying more than the delta episode. Oh got another favorite
LPKQ9IN.jpg

Blaziken is a good sub in pokken since their is no Greninja.

Wiseblade

You guys talking about how you want a more fleshed out story in Pokémon has me seriously worried. One of the things I love about Pokémon is how short the League challenge part is. The only thing I would ask for is a difficulty setting at the start. Give me a "I know what I'm doing" option that'll make the Alolan trials actually challenging

But what I really want is a fleshed out postgame. Gen VI is a travesty in that regard with both XY and ORAS being virtually barren in that regard. ORAS especially suffers when Emerald effortlessly outclasses it and was released 10 years prior. I want rematchable gyms, explorable areas that are more than red sparkles on a map, elite hidden trainers and a BATTLE FRONTIER. Instead, Game Freak decides to do away with gyms altogether.

brinstar

You guys talking about how you want a more fleshed out story in Pokémon has me seriously worried. One of the things I love about Pokémon is how short the League challenge part is. The only thing I would ask for is a difficulty setting at the start. Give me a "I know what I'm doing" option that'll make the Alolan trials actually challenging

But what I really want is a fleshed out postgame. Gen VI is a travesty in that regard with both XY and ORAS being virtually barren in that regard. ORAS especially suffers when Emerald effortlessly outclasses it and was released 10 years prior. I want rematchable gyms, explorable areas that are more than red sparkles on a map, elite hidden trainers and a BATTLE FRONTIER. Instead, Game Freak decides to do away with gyms altogether.

I mean, I'm not saying I want some insane bazillion hour long campaign, I just want the journey to feel more alive. What I liked about the Looker sidequest was they managed to create a core group of likable characters, despite the fact that most of them were even generic NPCs. It reminded me of a Dragon Quest vignette.

I agree with the stuff about the postgame too.

KingDirk

Dragon Quest would be the model to follow, for sure. Bunch of smaller vignettes along the way to the bigger thing. It is hard for me to think of an RPG series that nails the feeling of a "journey" better than DQ.

Sweet.. After some sweet talking and under the table payment and renew promises I don't have to use Pokémon exclusive the US base regions until Alola releases.

Who new making this deal with my daughter could get my creative juices going. I've been studying the Unova Dex all day along with the little info we have in the Alola Dex.

Gen 7 is going to be Team Murica!

Mr-Joker

Banned
Had a interesting conversation this morning with my daughter about Pokémon.

Kid: I don't think you play Pokémon in a realistic way.

Me: What do you mean?

Kid: if Pokémon was real you wouldn't have access to every Pokémon to build a battle team. Dad, at worst you would only have Pokémon in the Unova region and at best you would only use Pokémon in the Unova and Alola Region.

Me: How is any of that bad?

Kid: Your 2 favorite Pokémon aren't in the regional Dex for Alola or Unova.

Me: I'm not sure what the Alola regional Dex looks like yet but I see what you mean. Also, if Pokémon were real we wouldn't be standing here. We would be on a adventure of a life time with our Pokémon!

Kid: Dad, you need to play Pokémon and only use Pokémon that would realistically be in the United States habitat. Even if you battle other people.

Me: Ok.

Kid: Only the people who make Pokémon games can say what Pokémon are in the United States. Only Pokémon who are in a regional Dex that's based on a region in the United States you could use.

Me: is this about the Documentary about animals in their natural habitat you started watching?

Kid: Yup. Even Pokémon can ruin a habitat if it's illegally imported into a region. Promise?

Me: Ofcourse

Looks like I'm benching my Dragonite and Weavile..

;_;

Your daughter is very smart and actually this is reflected in the games as some Pokémon aren't native to the region despite being in the Pokédex like Eevee who can not be caught in the wild in Kanto but can be in Unova.

LPKQ9IN.jpg

Blaziken is a good sub in pokken since their is no Greninja.

Man those figures look good and I am tempted to pick up Greninja and depending on what other Pokémon they have as well.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Also what was up with that dude timer scaming that one girl, laughing in her face about it after, and flipping the bird on cam towards the audience. How that dude not get dq'd?

Your daughter is very smart and actually this is reflected in the games as some Pokémon aren't native to the region despite being in the Pokédex like Eevee who can not be caught in the wild in Kanto but can be in Unova.

Man those figures look good and I am tempted to pick up Greninja and depending on what other Pokémon they have as well.
The machamp one looks good from the online pics I saw.

I didn't know the the regional Pokémon Dex for Unova were so different between BW and B2W2.

BW only has the new Pokémon for that Gen in the regional Dex but B2W2 regional Dex has 300 Pokémon in its Regional dex.

Weavile is in the B2W2 Regional dex. Dragonite seems to be in the Alola Regional Dex.

Now I'm not bothered by using Pokémon from regions only based on the US. Need to keep that habitat safe by playing realistically.

I would be fine with a bajillion-hour campaign.

Usually I get both versions; in one I keep my items and do my breeding and storing, and in the other I replay through the campaign when I feel like it. The former is necessary when some items are a pain in the ass to get :/

I really want the campaign to be satisfying, because that's the part that leaves the biggest impression on me when I think back to how I enjoy each generation.

Refyref

I would love more post-game quests like gen 6, more parts like between the first and second gym in Kalos, more moments between the characters like in gen 5, more off-beat locations like in Sinnoh. Anything that is a small thing not related to the main overall plot or league challenge is great. Dragon Quest is a great model to copy.

You mean whatever arc they intended to start with the Rocket vs. Plasma episode early on that got cancelled, or Episode N?

There former.

Busaiku

I'll ask here too...
Do Japanese card codes work in the US online game?
I wanted to try and get into this again, but I wanted those Pikachu hunter cards, which aren't in the US.

While timer scamming's part of the game, it's possible there'll be a Chess-like timer option available in Gen 7. This is because while it was originally thought that the Time Limits option for Friendly Tournaments were just 10 min and 30 mins, you actually are choosing between two options called Your Time and Match Time (English text on HK's site). This is vague so I checked the Japanese and it's:

時間X|持ち時間X(10分)・試合時間X(30分)
(X is just the same kanji in each one but I'm not 100% sure what it is because the text is so tiny. I believe it's 制 though)

持ち時間 is a system in games like Go and Chess where each player gets a set amount of time to make their moves and if they run out they lose. 試合時間 is just what we have now.

Not 100% sure we'll get a Chess-like timer option of course, but if we do then that would be one possible way to kill timer scamming.

Seibmoz

Posted from the other thread: Anyone have a dusk stone that could send my way to level my doublade up tonight around 9:30pm est?

People were booing Jonathan Evans so he flipped them off.
Let me get this straight.

Someone actually flipped the audience off during an event with a lot of children present and probably more watching online.

Someone actually did that.

Someone actually... What the fuck?

Firestorm

1. Using the full timer is 100% within the rules for video game and is not something you can punish someone for.
2. Unless this is a different situation, there was no point at which Michael maliciously laughed in Trista's face. They are friends.
3. Profanity, which is what I think the gesture was classified as, isn't a DQ. They may re-work the rules to take context (stream) into account.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So I've been finding the source of these Chinese leak riddles but apparently they managed to hint mons earlier, prior to release.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Meaning? I'm genuinely curious if they leaked something else or are going to leak something else.

basically they came from somewhere, I think bulba? and these came out before mimikyu etc.

B3yESje.jpg

the new riddle is this

YDliqLr.jpg
(carried over the aristotle riddle)

still not sure where the source is from though

some guy figured it's probably a kawatengu

CqRE5czWgAEKojC.jpg

woopWOOP

I'd catch a bird wearing a bathrobe

Hey so why doesn't Pokemon B/W1 PC have multiple select? It's bad enough that the transporter to Pokebank only uses box 1, now I have to individually drag them all too. Fun.

I'd catch a bird wearing a bathrobe

Hey so why doesn't Pokemon B/W1 PC have multiple select? It's bad enough that the transporter to Pokebank only uses box 1, now I have to individually drag them all too. Fun.

I'm pretty sure it has multi-select. I can't really remember how to access it but I'm quite sure it's there unless I'm misremembering.

Top Bottom