• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

woopWOOP

Was about to (finally) get myself a Pokebank account to send stuff over from B/W, but apparently you can't transfer any equipped items with your Pokemon...

So uh, who here happens to have 5 Everstones lying around? And what can I give you in return?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Was about to (finally) get myself a Pokebank account to send stuff over from B/W, but apparently you can't transfer any equipped items with your Pokemon...

So uh, who here happens to have 5 Everstones lying around? And what can I give you in return?

Why do you need 5? :eek:

Mr-Joker

Banned
That Crabrawler looks pretty cool and I can see myself using him on my team, though I originally thought that I misread his typing as I only saw Fighting and was expecting him to be pure water.

Also realised that Turtonator could actually join the same team as Charizard as they only share rock weakness.

I also watched the second part of Ash & Alain's fight and my thoughts as followed.

Things I liked;

+ The animation was top notch and is the greatest strength of the Kalos arc.
+ Bisharp was pretty cool in battle.
+Charizard was freaking awesome to see in battle and I like how Alain does the Dragon Claw motion when he tells Charizard to use it.
+The better Pokémon won.

Things I didn't like;

- I didn't get the point of why Ash told Goodra to use rain dance and have Goodra follow it up with Ice beam.
- Goodra's fight felt rushed and he fell down way to quickly.
- Greninja vs Bisharp was a bit short as I wanted to see more of regular Greninja's skill.
- The battle does a bad job of showing Greninja getting weaker or Ash taking serous damage in battle.
- Again feels disconnected to past arc as no cameo appearance of past companion or Ash's mother.
- The whole battle for me felt rushed as the writer wanted to get it out of the way so they can kick the Team Flare arc going.

Personally I feel that Ash vs Paul is the better of the battle but this wasn't bad and is miles better than Unova final battle which is so bad that I can't even remember if I ever bothered to watch it or heard comments about it, personally I think it's a combination of both.

Crabrawler hype.

Are we still expecting another reveal tomorrow or is it the last?

I hoping that we get to see more Alola form, still waiting on that Water Arcanine rumour to be true.

yes, cause japan measures how successful the anime is by number of kotaku articles and neogaf avatar bets

the anime is a literal money sink
it probably makes no money for the franchise as a whole but serves as a reminder for like everyone that pokemon still exists and it has merch and games to sell

Exactly, heck The Pokémon Company pretty much let you watch it for free via Pokémon TV or in Europe the Nintendo Animé channel on the 3DS.

Does anyone ever use the stat increasing items in battle?

Nah, I feel cheap using them so I just end up selling them for money.

Wiseblade

yes, cause japan measures how successful the anime is by number of kotaku articles and neogaf avatar bets

the anime is a literal money sink
it probably makes no money for the franchise as a whole but serves as a reminder for like everyone that pokemon still exists and it has merch and games to sell
I know that, I'm saying that the show looks increasingly like it is unable to effectively promote the franchise. Even when the anime is better than it's ever been, ratings ae down and all it seems to do is generate negativity. At the same time, GO is a phenomenon and Pokkén outperformed SFV despite a massive difference in console install bases.

Like I said: if nobody is watching the show but the merch keeps selling, what is the point of the show?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
so we expect one more reveal later?

I know that, I'm saying that the show looks increasingly like it is unable to effectively promote the franchise. Even when the anime is better than it's ever been, ratings ae down and all it seems to do is generate negativity. At the same time, GO is a phenomenon and Pokkén outperformed SFV despite a massive difference in console install bases.

Like I said: if nobody is watching the show but the merch keeps selling, what is the point of the show?

Pokken is barely alive though despite that fact, as much as I hate to admit it.

The anime is an easy advertising. It doesn't even require ratings as long as they can plaster anime designs on trains or public places.

Chase17

That Crabrawler looks pretty cool and I can see myself using him on my team, though I originally thought that I misread his typing as I only saw Fighting and was expecting him to be pure water.

Also realised that Turtonator could actually join the same team as Charizard as they only share rock weakness.

I also watched the second part of Ash & Alain's fight and my thoughts as followed.

Things I liked;

+ The animation was top notch and is the greatest strength of the Kalos arc.
+ Bisharp was pretty cool in battle.
+Charizard was freaking awesome to see in battle and I like how Alain does the Dragon Claw motion when he tells Charizard to use it.
+The better Pokémon won.

Things I didn't like;

- I didn't get the point of why Ash told Goodra to use rain dance and have Goodra follow it up with Ice beam.
- Goodra's fight felt rushed and he fell down way to quickly.
- Greninja vs Bisharp was a bit short as I wanted to see more of regular Greninja's skill.
- The battle does a bad job of showing Greninja getting weaker or Ash taking serous damage in battle.
- Again feels disconnected to past arc as no cameo appearance of past companion or Ash's mother.
- The whole battle for me felt rushed as the writer wanted to get it out of the way so they can kick the Team Flare arc going.
Have you watched the Ash vs Sawyer league match? I think that was much stronger (although I do like the Alain battle a lot).

Articalys

For Bolt's final Olympic race, this picture that I just remembered existed from several years ago, long ago enough that the pixiv source link is dead, but anyway:
3wWkCEx.png
And if you don't get it, the Japanese name for the attack Thunderbolt is literally "100,000 Volts", but since there's no exact kana for the "vo" sound, it uses "bo", so...

WPS

And if you don't get it, the Japanese name for the attack Thunderbolt is literally "100,000 Volts", but since there's no exact kana for the "vo" sound, it uses "bo", so...

Talking of that, I'm surprised they didn't repurpose 1,000,000 volts (usually translated as MegaVolt) as a Z-Move. It's been a while since it turned up in Adventures, but it did recently get a shout out in XYZ.

Wiseblade

I'm talking about Orange League and Battle Frontier.

Are you trying to make a "Ash always loses except for the times he won" argument?

Orange Islands is like Super Filler and the most "doesn't count" thing I've ever watched. Even the anime itself openly admits it was filler and means nothing. Battle Frontier is similar in that it's basically a pity arc to give Ash a win that gets invalidated immediately after. It says a lot that after both arcs Gary Oak was waiting in Pallet Town to knock Ash back to reality. The first time Ash was fresh of his Orange Islands victory and Gary straight up told him that it means nothing. The second time Gary came out of retirement to slap Pikachu around and tell him that Sinnoh is the only thing that matters.

Wiseblade

Ash and Alain are defivitely going to have another 1v1 battle between Ash-Greninja and Mega Charizard X during the Team Flare arc that Ash will win. Chances are Alain will be disqualified and Ash crowned the official winner, but he'll shrug it off saying that it doesn't count and move on to Alola.

WPS

Because he'll likely be cooperating with a terrorist organisation instigating coup on Kalos' governing body. People have been stripped of Olympic medals for less.

On the other hand, in the games, Malva ran Flare's media arm and was an admin, and after they disband continues to openly show loyalty for them and tells the player that she wishes to murder you, but she's still allowed to be an elite four member.

Though I suppose, like in most sport, the athletes can be punished while the organisers get away with anything.

On the other hand, in the games, Malva ran Flare's media arm and was an admin, and after they disband continues to openly show loyalty for them and tells the player that she wishes to murder you, but she's still allowed to be an elite four member.

Though I suppose, like in most sport, the athletes can be punished while the organisers get away with anything.

It was kind of refreshing to have an actively evil person operate in a governing body.

Are you trying to make a "Ash always loses except for the times he won" argument?

Orange Islands is like Super Filler and the most "doesn't count" thing I've ever watched. Even the anime itself openly admits it was filler and means nothing. Battle Frontier is similar in that it's basically a pity arc to give Ash a win that gets invalidated immediately after. It says a lot that after both arcs Gary Oak was waiting in Pallet Town to knock Ash back to reality. The first time Ash was fresh of his Orange Islands victory and Gary straight up told him that it means nothing. The second time Gary came out of retirement to slap Pikachu around and tell him that Sinnoh is the only thing that matters.

If that's the argument, I bet you they'd just make Ash restart in the next region even if he did end up winning the league.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
lol first time catching a tcg match on stream and the tables with the prize card cameras outfitted beneath are awesome

Ugh getting the last hundred or so unavailable Pokemon in XY is so painful.

Going for a living Dex and I'm at 648 right now. Mostly just legendaries, starters, and ORAS Mirage Pokemon. Left. Such a grind.

jnWake

I've been playing through Alpha Sapphire lately and the DexNav is like the best feature ever. What are the chances of it returning for Sun/Moon?

I've been playing through Alpha Sapphire lately and the DexNav is like the best feature ever. What are the chances of it returning for Sun/Moon?

It's the same director and the Rotom Dex seems to be an advancement of the DexNav at first glance so pretty likely.

Chase17

I think there was a glance at the icon of it in one of the trailers. I really hope it is coming back.

Does anyone have any tips on beating Elesa? I'm about to give up. I don't know how I did it the first time.
If this is unmodded BW2, Sandslash with Rock Tomb from the TM. Keep Swift around just in case she spams Double Team with Emolga.

If BW, Sandile I guess? Something physically tanky with ground or rock moves?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I forgot if you get Stealth Rock by then, but that'd probably work great against her since each time she uses Volt Switch her Emolga will take 2X damage from it.

Top Bottom