• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Ok, so I saw a Shiny Tepig for trade on GTS for a Pokémon I had so I traded for it.

I get it and it was Shiny, had 6IV, Adamant nature, and was at perfect level 5 like a starter Pokémon when you first choose it. I found it weird but ignored it.

Even though it was insanely cute I decided to put it back on the GTS for a Volcanion. I knew I had no chance of getting one but why not. 2 minutes later I'm like maybe I'll just save the Tepig for a future trade I may really need. Log in to GTS and a English named Volcanion comes out the Poké ball.

He had 6IV, OT was a Japanese name, Bold nature, Lvl 77, and was in a event red poke ball (don't know the name of that paticular poke ball).

What are the chances this Volcanion is legit? I put him in my PokeBank out of fear of him corrupting my save file.

Another note, Tepig is such a great design. I can't believe gamefreak threw that design out the window with its evolutions.

Busaiku

So I've been playing a lot of Trading Card Game Online.
Got me to spend some on physical cards for some random reason.

It's pretty great that Flareon is actually pretty good right now.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Ok, so I saw a Shiny Tepig for trade on GTS for a Pokémon I had so I traded for it.

I get it and it was Shiny, had 6IV, Adamant nature, and was at perfect level 5 like a starter Pokémon when you first choose it. I found it weird but ignored it.

Even though it was insanely cute I decided to put it back on the GTS for a Volcanion. I knew I had no chance of getting one but why not. 2 minutes layer I'm like maybe I'll just save the Tepig for a future trade I may really need. Log in to GTS and a English named Volcanion comes out the Poké ball.

He had 6IV, OT was a Japanese name, Bold nature, Lvl 77, and was in a event red poke ball (don't know the name of that paticular poke ball).

What are the chances this Volcanion is legit? I out him in my PokeBank out of fear of him corrupting my save file.

Another note, Tepig is such a great design. I can't believe gamefreak threw that design out the window with its evolutions.

Is it this one? If so it might be hacked as you can't put Pokémon in Cherish Ball up on GTS, unless that has been changed in gen 6.

So I've been playing a lot of Trading Card Game Online.
Got me to spend some on physical cards for some random reason.

It's pretty great that Flareon is actually pretty good right now.

I guess the TGC folks took pity on Flareon.

Is it this one? If so it might be hacked as you can't put Pokémon in Cherish Ball up on GTS, unless that has been changed in gen 6.

I guess the TGC folks took pity on Flareon.

No its not like that. I looked up the ID and Serebii has it as a legit release for Japan (and US?)

It's actually Hardy nature. ID 04166.

Joker, are you the trainer that (role) plays with a Charmander with a genetic defect?

JoeM86

Even though it was insanely cute I decided to put it back on the GTS for a Volcanion. I knew I had no chance of getting one but why not. 2 minutes later I'm like maybe I'll just save the Tepig for a future trade I may really need. Log in to GTS and a English named Volcanion comes out the Poké ball.

What are the chances this Volcanion is legit? I put him in my PokeBank out of fear of him corrupting my save file.

Zero. Volcanion has a ribbon that prevents trading over the GTS and Wonder Trade

Zero. Volcanion has a ribbon that prevents trading over the GTS and Wonder Trade

Got'cha. I'm learning about this whole event and ribbon stuff now.

This whole thing is a headache. What's with the "hey, let's announce new Pokémon and not release it for years BS. Then let's Release it in one region and make it virtually untradable for no reason.

Now I have this Volcanion and have no idea what I want to do with it.

Wiseblade

Got'cha. I'm learning about this whole event and ribbon stuff now.

This whole thing is a headache. What's with the "hey, let's announce new Pokémon and not release it for years BS. Then let's Release it in one region and make it virtually untradable for no reason.

If you care that it's illegitimate, you could just release it. If you don't care, then keep it. It's only affecting you.

Mr-Joker

Banned

You could either;

-Breed it and the off spring will be legit and then release the hack Volcanion,

-You could just release it

-Or you could wonder trade it and it will be someone else's problem.

arlucool

Hey Trainers! I'm new here on NeoGAF, though I've been reading the forum for quite a while now. I have finally decided to join in. : )

One of the reasons to do so is because I love Pokémon. Ever since a child; I grew up with it. Interesting enough, I have had more experience playing the spin-off games on console than the main portable games, because from where I'm from, gaming is expensive, so most of the time I couldn't afford both a console and a handheld. I did had a GameBoy Color with Pokémon Red and then Yellow and Crystal, witch I still have to this day, :D

So, since I missed the Advance and DS Pokémon games, I've been trying the emulated versions recently in my computer. Playing in emulators made things more... easier. I could save before catching a Pokémon to make sure if it was of a desired Nature, or ability, so I've gotten accustomed to that method.

I'm more grown up now, and making more money, so I decided to save enough to be able to afford a 3DS XL and Pokémon X: I have already bought them and waiting to arrive! My younger brother did the same earlier this year and he got a copy of OR, so you could say I was motivated by this, so we can finally battle and trade again like we used to back when we had our GameBoy games. :')

So... sorry for the long preamble. Here's the thing: I know about soft-resetting for the starters and some Legendaries, and the wonderful DexNav in ORAS, but for wild mons in XY, how does one get a desirable Nature and Ability? Just catching a bunch of Pokémon?

Been using Crustle in Black 2. I'm surprised it's a good pokemon. I just saw rock and auto dismissed it because of all of rock's weaknesses, but I didn't take time to think with the type combo how many of rock's weaknesses are neutralized by the bug typing. I really only have water and steel pokemon to look out for and steel hardly shows up.

Wiseblade

So... sorry for the long preamble. Here's the thing: I know about soft-resetting for the starters and some Legendaries, and the wonderful DexNav in ORAS, but for wild mons in XY, how does one get a desirable Nature and Ability? Just catching a bunch of Pokémon?
Abilitiesare a crapshoot, but if you have a Pokémon with the Synchronize ability up front there's a 50% chance wild Pokémon you encounter will have the same nature as that Pokémon.

I'm only 20 Pokémon away from completing my Pokédex.

I'm only missing 20 Unseen Pokémon but I'm also missing a few I used to trade for other Pokémon I was missing.

I wish GameFreak allowed us to deposit 3 to 5 Pokémon at a time for trades. This while deposit one and wait until it goes is way too long.

For straight up wild Pokemon, it's luck of the draw. You can use Trace to help encounter a preferable nature, but in general it's gonna be random.

Also, welcome. I'm gonna steal an introductory method from WrestleGAF and ask for your Fave Five...Pokemon, that is.

KingDirk

For straight up wild Pokemon, it's luck of the draw. You can use Trace to help encounter a preferable nature, but in general it's gonna be random.

Also, welcome. I'm gonna steal an introductory method from WrestleGAF and ask for your Fave Five...Pokemon, that is.

Is this question open to everyone, even terrible lurkers

KingDirk

It sure is

I am not going to rank in any order because even picking five will be painful:

-Slowpoke: Dude's vacant stare is calming to me. Even without the memes I could imagine chilling with this dude. Also he leads to the intense joy of Mega Slowbro who consistently cracks me up.

-Reuniclus: Gen V is my favorite generation (gasp, I am one of *those*). It had a lot of out there designs I really appreciated, but this cute cell fetus nightmare is so unique within the dex that it had to be love or hate.

-Croagunk: Great example of ugly cute. There used to be a lot of tree frogs in my backyard, so I guess he is a tiny bit nostalgic. Plus I would rather be on its good side...

-Bulbasaur: First starter, cute as all get out. I don't reuse the line enough because I tend to get attached to whatever Pokémon I use in the current gen but I should remedy that in a play through soon.

-Chandelure: Okay, this thing? Whole line is great. Cool lore, cool shiny, and in-universe commanding one has to feel great.

(Honorable mentions to Magnezone, Goomy, Dragalge. If I included Gen VII stuff Mimikyuu would probably be on here too...)

What would you guys say are reasonable prices to sell Emerald, Leaf Green, Platinum, and Soul Silver for? Pt has the case and manual and SS has the case, manual, and pokewalker.

I'm asking because I want to get an n3DS to CFW to stream shit with, either that or a capture card, because apparently the o3DS XL I could homebrew won't work 'cuz it's too weak. So I want to sell the Pokémon games I have Japanese copies of to put towards an n3DS or capture card.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
>What do you think? Don't you think it's wonderful? Thanks to you, the system is complete. This is the peace I desired. Look! The unpleasant people are disappearing. Isn't it beautiful? Zygarde is a proxy for our anger! Only the chosen will be protected!

>Satoshi-kun, you might be one of the chosen.

Yeah if this isn't Poke-Hitler, I dunno what is. I wonder how the dub is gonna handle this.

Busaiku

Man, the grind for more tokens in Pokemon Trading Card Game Online is intense.
These Trainer Challenges are getting annoying with the decks I have.

Busaiku

Well, never did the generation playthrough this year, but I'm actually planning on doing that next year.

Going Yellow -> Emerald -> Fire Red -> Platinum -> Heart Gold -> Black -> Black 2 -> Y -> Alpha Sapphire -> Sun or Moon.
It was annoying getting a GBA and the 3rd gen games...

The three would be
Attack
Speed
Special attack
Yea that sounds about right.

I agree with Attack and Speed but not Special Attack.

Greninja doesn't use any Special attacks and he could take hits he shouldn't really be taking.

I would say Attack, Speed, and Defense if he's not a 5 or 6 IV Pokémon.

Kyzer

Banned
Dubs ruining atmospheres is my main beef with them. Same with many others including attack on Titan. I'm not one of those crazy people who says the voice acting is better without even understanding Japanese, cuz that's dumb, how do you even know. My issue is always that the voice acting is weirdly isolated and its like they dubbed over the whole soundtrack so the music is gone or super quiet everything just sounds so poorly mixed it's like somebody did it in their home studio

So since Pokemon Go released, I took it upon myself to restart the anime from Episode 1 and see how far I got.

Currently on 106, a little more than halfway through the Orange Island arc. Finished Movie 2 last night (Movie 1 > 2 IMO).

Boy, Orange Islands is a slog. I know it's a filler arc but boy is it tough to get through.

I agree with Attack and Speed but not Special Attack.

Greninja doesn't use any Special attacks and he could take hits he shouldn't really be taking.

I would say Attack, Speed, and Defense if he's not a 5 or 6 IV Pokémon.
I thought water shruiken was a special though? My memory is probably off.

Wiseblade

So since Pokemon Go released, I took it upon myself to restart the anime from Episode 1 and see how far I got.

Currently on 106, a little more than halfway through the Orange Island arc. Finished Movie 2 last night (Movie 1 > 2 IMO).

Boy, Orange Islands is a slog. I know it's a filler arc but boy is it tough to get through.

Why are you doing this to yourself?

Busaiku

Why the heck does Trading Card Game Online take so much battery.
Kills my tablet and laptop in like 2 hours.
I get longer play with Tomb Raider on high settings.

Mr-Joker

Banned

That was pretty good.

Do you guys think Ash greninja has protean and possibly 6 perfect ivs?

I think that super Greninja has 1hp, wonder guard as his ability, 0 IV and is Bug/Grass/Ice/Steel type, I mean it explains why he fainted after taking a Blast Burn to the face. ;p

Well, never did the generation playthrough this year, but I'm actually planning on doing that next year.

Going Yellow -> Emerald -> Fire Red -> Platinum -> Heart Gold -> Black -> Black 2 -> Y -> Alpha Sapphire -> Sun or Moon.
It was annoying getting a GBA and the 3rd gen games...

I am currently finishing up Pokémon Ruby and then after that I will be jumping to Fire Red then finishing up with Emerald before taking a wee break with Sun and Moon.

But I do plan to continue the generation playthrough after finishing Moon, so my playthrough will be.

Pokémon Colosseum* --> XD* --> Diamond --> Pearl --> Platinum --> Soul Silver --> Heart Gold --> White --> Black 2 --> White --> Omega Ruby --> Alpha Sapphire --> Y --> X --> Sun --> Moon.

*They aren't part of my head story but I am replaying them to recapture the feeling of the long wait for gen 4 and I haven't played them in a long time.

Honestly I thought that after gen 2 I would get burned out but nope it has been fun and an interesting experience to see how the series has progress over the years, heck I was able to recapture that feeling of gen 3 being cut off from Gen 1 and 2.

Nah it's physical, probably because it's literally a shuriken. The move isn't really that good in-game anyway so unless it's buffed, it won't really matter.

Yeah I wouldn't judge how strong a move is from the animé of all places, I mean they gave Ash's Greninja freaking cut and falsely teaching viewers that its a strong cool move when it's anything but.

Then again it teach kids that if you want to win the Kalos league don't teach your Pokémon cut. ;p

Nah it's physical, probably because it's literally a shuriken. The move isn't really that good in-game anyway so unless it's buffed, it won't really matter.

That was pretty good.

I think that super Greninja has 1hp, wonder guard as his ability, 0 IV and is Bug/Grass/Ice/Steel type, I mean it explains why he fainted after taking a Blast Burn to the face. ;p

I am currently finishing up Pokémon Ruby and then after that I will be jumping to Fire Red then finishing up with Emerald before taking a wee break with Sun and Moon.

But I do plan to continue the generation playthrough after finishing Moon, so my playthrough will be.

Pokémon Colosseum* --> XD* --> Diamond --> Pearl --> Platinum --> Soul Silver --> Heart Gold --> White --> Black 2 --> White --> Omega Ruby --> Alpha Sapphire --> Y --> X --> Sun --> Moon.

*They aren't part of my head story but I am replaying them to recapture the feeling of the long wait for gen 4 and I haven't played them in a long time.

Honestly I thought that after gen 2 I would get burned out but nope it has been fun and an interesting experience to see how the series has progress over the years, heck I was able to recapture that feeling of gen 3 being cut off from Gen 1 and 2.

Yeah I wouldn't judge how strong a move is from the animé of all places, I mean they gave Ash's Greninja freaking cut and falsely teaching viewers that its a strong cool move when it's anything but.

Then again it teach kids that if you want to win the Kalos league don't teach your Pokémon cut. ;p

Gamfreak neess to buff cut water shruiken and aerial ace lol. My play through with a Greninja using his anime moves was fun though. Took out mega garvedoir in one hit with aerial ace (my Greninja was 100 by that time lol).

Top Bottom