• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Mr-Joker

Banned
It's finally time for Pokemon May Cry! Let's show off Pikachu and friends' Smokin' Sick Style!

Ha ha, not gonna lie but I would totally be down for a Pokémon game like that.

Don't forget an inevitable team-based FPS :p

Ooh what if they finally release a Pokémon MMORPG game that everyone keeps asking for? :O

Though technically wouldn't Pokémon Go count as a MMORPG?
e0f685754130e8c85f4dd92e463f8045.png

Mr-Joker

Banned
What the heck, they're not gonna have Trial Captains..?
RIP Ilima

Honestly speaking what exactly do Trial Captain offer? They aren't on the same level as Gym Leader or Kahunas and baring Ilima you don't fight them as part of the trial.

Heck the last trial on Poni Poni Island doesn't even have a Trial captain showing just how pointless they are in the grand scheme and was one of the reason why I didn't enjoy doing the Island Trial.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Aren't trial captains basically handlers for the totem Pokemon ingame? They could just do that.

But that role can easily go to the Kahunas thus writing the Trial Captain out, barring a select few like Acerola as a role of a Elite Four member. Plus if that was the case then who's the handler for Totem Kommo-o?

Trial captains are fundamentally pointless, which is probably why they made most of them Ash's classmate in the Sun and Moon animé.

GoldStarz

But that role can easily go to the Kahunas thus writing the Trial Captain out, barring a select few like Acerola as a role of a Elite Four member. Plus if that was the case then who's the handler for Totem Kommo-o?

Trial captains are fundamentally pointless, which is probably why they made most of them Ash's classmate in the Sun and Moon animé.

If you paid attention, the Dragon Trial was the original trial so that Kommo-o is either very old or it's a descendent of the Kommo-o that the Dragon Trial captain originally handled.

That said, I do think gym leaders usually provide more of a challenge since I found that if you have the right Pokemon, defeating Totem Pokemon isn't all that hard.

Rutger

Banned
That said, I do think gym leaders usually provide more of a challenge since I found that if you have the right Pokemon, defeating Totem Pokemon isn't all that hard.

That's typically the case with Gym leaders too. That just a problem with damage being so high outside of resists in this series. I feel Totem Pokemon have more potential for difficult fights if we could just get a hard mode where their defenses are instantly maxed out along we a few other buffs, giving us some real JRPG boss battles for once.

Honestly, while I'm still playing through the game, I find the trial captains have more personality than the average gym leader, probably because they are more involved with their challenge than the leaders in their gyms. It would be nice if their battles weren't mostly optional though.

Mr-Joker

Banned
If you paid attention, the Dragon Trial was the original trial so that Kommo-o is either very old or it's a descendent of the Kommo-o that the Dragon Trial captain originally handled.

It was implied that the Dragon Trial was the original but it was never implied if it had a Trial captain or if the Kommo-o is the same as the one when the trial originally began, unless I missed an NPC stating otherwise.

Agreed, Totem Pokémon are pretty much wild Pokémon and I found that focusing on the Totem Pokémon was the most easiest way to win as the helper Pokémon don't add much to the battle.

Plus I always felt that the "challenge" of the Totem Pokémon felt artificial as there's no reason why the player shouldn't be able to send out a second Pokémon the moment help appears onto the battle field along with the Totem Pokémon stats boosting because they somehow tap into power from Ultra space.

Articalys

That's typically the case with Gym leaders too. That just a problem with damage being so high outside of resists in this series. I feel Totem Pokemon have more potential for difficult fights if we could just get a hard mode where their defenses are instantly maxed out along we a few other buffs, giving us some real JRPG boss battles for once.
I don't think it's even possible with Pokemon's party system, mons-style structure and overall battle rules to have a traditional big, climactic "JRPG boss battle", though I'll admit I don't know much about other mons-style games and how they handle similar issues.

And unless you were super underleveled or came into the battle without a good type matchup, I don't think Totems were even particularly challenging outside of the first two.

GoldStarz

Not really. If I battle a gym leader, I usually can't end the battle in two/three turns with a few good SE hits. If I battle a Totem Pokemon, more often than not that is how it goes. Maybe you could give the gym leader's final Pokemon some kinda boost like
Lusamine's team
got, but honestly I prefer gyms.

Honestly, while I'm still playing through the game, I find the trial captains have more personality than the average gym leader, probably because they are more involved with their challenge than the leaders in their gyms. It would be nice if their battles weren't mostly optional though.
I honestly thought they were only slightly more involved than the Unova Gym leaders and there really was nothing in the game that made it that you couldn't have had that level of interaction with them and just battle them at the end of a Trial's Challenge. You easily could have made them all gym leaders and pretty much nothing (character-wise) would have been lost.

Rutger

Banned
I don't think it's even possible with Pokemon's party system, mons-style structure and overall battle rules to have a traditional big, climactic "JRPG boss battle", though I'll admit I don't know much about other mons-style games and how they handle similar issues.

And unless you were super underleveled or came into the battle without a good type matchup, I don't think Totems were even particularly challenging outside of the first two.

It's possible, Game Freak just needs to be willing to break some rules or create unique bosses. SMT games give demons more HP and skills they wont have when we recruit them and sometimes they can attack more than once on their turn for example, as well as a few bosses that can't ever be recruited.

Enemies take too much damage in singleplayer. It makes sense that damage is so high from a competitive angle, so it needs to stay like that, but in singleplayer it makes it too easy to just sweep through the unoptimized teams. Of course, there's also things like unlimited items that still makes things easy, but modifying defense or HP would be the best way to keep the player from just defeating them before they can get started. Totem Pokemon have shown that Game Freak is willing to cheat a little with enemy stat buffs at the start of battle, so even if Totem Pokemon don't return in Gen 8 I hope they continue with the idea of stat buffs, and give us a hard mode that can be selected at the start of the game.

Not really. If I battle a gym leader, I usually can't end the battle in two/three turns with a few good SE hits. If I battle a Totem Pokemon, more often than not that is how it goes. Maybe you could give the gym leader's final Pokemon some kinda boost like
Lusamine's team
got, but honestly I prefer gyms.

I honestly thought they were only slightly more involved than the Unova Gym leaders and there really was nothing in the game that made it that you couldn't have had that level of interaction with them and just battle them at the end of a Trial's Challenge. You easily could have made them all gym leaders and pretty much nothing (character-wise) would have been lost.

I usually do, unless they have more than three Pokemon or I'm doing a low level run and need to spend some turns using battle items. I'm not against gyms returning, I'm just happy that Game Freak was willing to try something new to deal with the issue of the lack of challenge in these games, even if it still needs more work.

On the characters themselves, I like that their challenges can get silly, Illima may have started off rather weak, but then there's things like Kiawe's. I don't really miss the filler trainers from gyms, but I do wish the captains would challenge us to a battle before their trial like Illima did. Through the trials we also get to see them talk a little more than the average gym leader, it adds just enough to make them a little more memorable to me.

BowieZ

Banned
PLEASE IGNORE THIS POST AND TALK ABOUT PIKACHU

This is going to sound really left-field but, as a huge board game fan, I had this idea a few days ago to make a Pokemon board game (I know a few crappy ones already exist) with an island map consisting of about 50(?) spaces in a general circular shape with several alternate Routes, where you land on some spaces that are fields of grass, cave, etc., at which point you have to roll a dice to determine from which 'Type pile' to draw a wild Pokemon card (e.g. a green grassy space may have a little icon with a 1-2-3-4 for Grass Type and a 5-6 for Flying Type). (Wild Pokemon need to be battled, but have different catch rates based on how weak you make them and which type of Pokeball you use. You determine which move they use again with a dice roll.)

So the aim of the game is to go around the board (starting with a random starter, three basic pokeballs, and say 100 poke-dollars) (you can go in any direction as long as you don't backtrack on your turn) trying to formulate a team of 6 Pokemon (including your starter) ideally of various Types (by trying to amass enough Pokedollars and Pokeballs and passing enough Pokecentres to heal your Pokemon to achieve this feat), and once you have a team of 6, you can enter Victory Road and battle the island's Elite Trainer.

The rub is, along the way, if you go past another Trainer (at any point, even halfway during your turn) you engage in battle (unless both parties agree to a truce). (You may elect to avoid or deliberately encounter other players by choosing various alternate Routes.) (Battles with either wild Pokemon or other Trainers would be fairly basic... just select or roll the dice to determine the move used as necessary and the damage should be fairly simple to work out based on Types and considering Move Precedence.) (Different Pokemon of the same species would have stronger move power but lower move precedence, or vice versa -- or alternatively strong in both areas but less common in the piles.)

Players can trade Pokemon, Pokeballs, or Pokedollars, freely with each other, whenever they are on the same space (at any point during a turn) -- in fact, two players may wish to temporarily forge an alliance in order to hinder the player who is currently best positioned to succeed against the Elite Trainer.

Just wondering if anyone likes this idea and has any suggestions? The trickiest part would be representing all types and a variety of species, while ensuring balance and that it isn't too complicated or tricky to calculate damage for novices.

Busaiku

I like that Pikachu has actual character now.
Him interacting with others and just being cute is so refreshing.

He was terrible in Black & White and X & Y.
Didn't watch much after Kanto prior to Black & White, so I can't really say if he was any better there.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
He was so bland the last 6 years, particularly in X & Y, cause he never really bounced off any of the other Pokémon.

while he didn't do anything special in XY he always bounces off with Meowth there, particularly PokeBall Factory

also say what, he makes the most anime faces in XY

Articalys

It's possible, Game Freak just needs to be willing to break some rules or create unique bosses. SMT games give demons more HP and skills they wont have when we recruit them and sometimes they can attack more than once on their turn for example, as well as a few bosses that can't ever be recruited.

Enemies take too much damage in singleplayer. It makes sense that damage is so high from a competitive angle, so it needs to stay like that, but in singleplayer it makes it too easy to just sweep through the unoptimized teams. Of course, there's also things like unlimited items that still makes things easy, but modifying defense or HP would be the best way to keep the player from just defeating them before they can get started. Totem Pokemon have shown that Game Freak is willing to cheat a little with enemy stat buffs at the start of battle, so even if Totem Pokemon don't return in Gen 8 I hope they continue with the idea of stat buffs, and give us a hard mode that can be selected at the start of the game.
In my opinion, the issue with Pokemon and big dramatic boss battles is this.

The traditional turn-based JRPG party setup gives the player multiple party members able to all act in the same turn, so you can perform offensive actions and defense actions at the same time, and the battle system and stats framework is designed around this style of play. There's also usually only a handful of characters available, and less of an issue of one character getting particularly over-leveled or under-leveled, so it's easier to design a general difficulty curve for the game's progression since your party's overall strength and capabilities will be more predictable. In big boss battles, where your multiple-member party is up against a single powerful foe, the boss's HP, attack, defense, etc. will be such that (unless you've been powerleveling or are exploiting some cheap mechanic) the battle becomes one of attrition, with the player needed to balance offence and defense while they wear the boss down, and the party members' abilities are designed to make this possible.

That's never going to work with the way Pokemon is set up. No amount of rescaling HP or defense for a boss is going to make up for the fact that the entire battle system was originally designed for 1 on 1 battles between characters of (relatively) equal statistical power, and (with the exception of a handful of moves/abilities designed for doubles) hasn't really varied much from that starting point.

I used to get so hype when the battle music from the games would play in the anime. The novelty wears off eventually, but I just got to Advanced and the hype comes back when this song plays.

I remember a long time ago, I got Pokemon Diamond a while after I stopped watching Pokemon altogether, and always enjoyed how the gym battle music in the game would remind me of the music that played in the show. This song is so good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xd0Ar-ePVU

Wiseblade

I used to get so hype when the battle music from the games would play in the anime. The novelty wears off eventually, but I just got to Advanced and the hype comes back when this song plays.

I remember a long time ago, I got Pokemon Diamond a while after I stopped watching Pokemon altogether, and always enjoyed how the gym battle music in the game would remind me of the music that played in the show. This song is so good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xd0Ar-ePVU

You're watching the dub, right? You better savour this, AG is the last time the show has a good soundtrack. DP onwards, anything this isn't a direct remix of a track in the games is replaced with the most generic stock music.

Rutger

Banned
In my opinion, the issue with Pokemon and big dramatic boss battles is this.

The traditional turn-based JRPG party setup gives the player multiple party members able to all act in the same turn, so you can perform offensive actions and defense actions at the same time, and the battle system and stats framework is designed around this style of play. There's also usually only a handful of characters available, and less of an issue of one character getting particularly over-leveled or under-leveled, so it's easier to design a general difficulty curve for the game's progression since your party's overall strength and capabilities will be more predictable. In big boss battles, where your multiple-member party is up against a single powerful foe, the boss's HP, attack, defense, etc. will be such that (unless you've been powerleveling or are exploiting some cheap mechanic) the battle becomes one of attrition, with the player needed to balance offence and defense while they wear the boss down, and the party members' abilities are designed to make this possible.

That's never going to work with the way Pokemon is set up. No amount of rescaling HP or defense for a boss is going to make up for the fact that the entire battle system was originally designed for 1 on 1 battles between characters of (relatively) equal statistical power, and (with the exception of a handful of moves/abilities designed for doubles) hasn't really varied much from that starting point.

I disagree, a single boss with more HP would not be all that different from a trainer with 5-6 Pokemon, except that we would be unable to defeat it before it attacks. We also just had Sun and Moon experimenting with 1v2 boss battles as well as boosted stats in boss fights, the Pokemon battle system is more than capable of expanding the types of fights we see in the story mode, which is also shown by 2v2 becoming the official competitive format. Just because the battles started as nothing more than 1v1 does not mean that's the only way it could ever work.

Articalys

I disagree, a single boss with more HP would not be all that different from a trainer with 5-6 Pokemon, except that we would be unable to defeat it before it attacks. We also just had Sun and Moon experimenting with 1v2 boss battles as well as boosted stats in boss fights, the Pokemon battle system is more than capable of expanding the types of fights we see in the story mode, which is also shown by 2v2 becoming the official competitive format. Just because the battles started as nothing more than 1v1 does not mean that's the only way it could ever work.
I think I'll need to hear your definition of what a "real JRPG boss battle" is, as you put it in your initial post, both inside and outside of the Pokemon series. Probably something I should have asked earlier to help frame the discussion.

PannenkoekenNL

Neo Member
Does anyone knows where I can get the Pokemon manga that was published by Chuang Yi? As they have published a few series that VIZ didn't. I can only find them on Carousell but most don't ship worldwide.

Rutger

Banned
I think I'll need to hear your definition of what a "real JRPG boss battle" is, as you put it in your initial post, both inside and outside of the Pokemon series. Probably something I should have asked earlier to help frame the discussion.

I want boss fights that don't go down with just one or two attacks, or one or two per Pokemon the enemy trainer has. Boss fights in Pokemon do not feel any different than standard trainer battles to me. Even the climatic legendary Pokemon fights are mostly a challenge in not KOing them.

I don't really know how else to say it, you're not far off in describing them as battles of attrition, I want fights that push me to use all my options, not just generally one really good attack.

Firestorm

Does anyone knows where I can get the Pokemon manga that was published by Chuang Yi? As they have published a few series that VIZ didn't. I can only find them on Carousell but most don't ship worldwide.
This is probably more a matter of time. Viz has everything up to BW done and BW2 is on pre-order. XY just got finished up into volumes last month I think so it'll probably be officially available soon.

PannenkoekenNL

Neo Member

Articalys

I want boss fights that don't go down with just one or two attacks, or one or two per Pokemon the enemy trainer has. Boss fights in Pokemon do not feel any different than standard trainer battles to me. Even the climatic legendary Pokemon fights are mostly a challenge in not KOing them.

I don't really know how else to say it, you're not far off in describing them as battles of attrition, I want fights that push me to use all my options, not just generally one really good attack.
I just don't think this is possible, since 20 different players could arrive at the same boss battle with 20 different teams composed of a massive variety of possible stats and abilities, and under your proposal it would need to be designed to be a tactical fight for all of them. Like I said before, normal RPGs can accomplish this since the pool of potential party members and abilities at any give point in the game is much more predictable.

Battle facilities and official 2v2 add "no items" rules and a fixed level, which restricts the player to only five possible actions: one of their four moves, or switch out. For facilities, where the enemy team is randomized, this does force the player to build their own team with overall strategy in mind, since they can't just break through with power or use items to outlast. In PvP, the metagame plays an element in teambuilding, but I'm not well-versed enough in that area to comment further.

We may just have to agree to disagree on the point.

Rutger

Banned
I wonder what would happen if they banned Protect from doubles

I'd imagine switching would become a little more important, but with the high damage nature of doubles as well as each player only having four Pokemon, matches would often be decided by who picked a better starting pair because we wouldn't be able to turn things around by making them waste turns. There's no doubt in my mind that the format would be worse for it.

Busaiku

They should've made the exclusive Z Crystals have additional effects.
Like why would I use Pikanium Z instead of Light Ball.

Cindro

I took a little hiatus from the game after beating the E4. I just fired it up again last night, and had my first postgame battle with
the chick who's with Looker
- and her mons were several levels higher than me, so she ended up wiping my team out on my first attempt.

It seems like now would be a good time to start training a competitively viable team (something I want to do anyway) before tackling the rest of the postgame stuff.

Is there a good, comprehensive guide to breeding/training in sun and moon? I'm not sure where the best spots are to EV train, level up, ride your bike/tauros while hatching eggs, etc.

Wiseblade

I took a little hiatus from the game after beating the E4. I just fired it up again last night, and had my first postgame battle with
the chick who's with Looker
- and her mons were several levels higher than me, so she ended up wiping my team out on my first attempt.

It seems like now would be a good time to start training a competitively viable team (something I want to do anyway) before tackling the rest of the postgame stuff.

Is there a good, comprehensive guide to breeding/training in sun and moon? I'm not sure where the best spots are to EV train, level up, ride your bike/tauros while hatching eggs, etc.
Breeding is largely the same as it was in XY/ORAS. The best SOS Chaining EV spots are:

HP - Alolan Grimer on Malie City Outer Cape.
Attack - Yungoos/Spinirak on Route 1.
Defence - ???
SpAtk - Gastly on Hau'oli Cemetery
SpDef - ???
Speed - Zubat in Seaward Cave

But really, a fully upgraded Isle Evelup at the Poké Pelago is not-so-secretly the best way to EV train.

To add to what Wiseblade said, if you breed a male and female of the same species, it's now possible for the male to pass down the Poke Ball.

Of course, if you don't care for aesthetics, it's not terribly important. Meanwhile, for the rest of us : D~~~

WPS

To add to what Wiseblade said, if you breed a male and female of the same species, it's now possible for the male to pass down the Poke Ball.

Of course, if you don't care for aesthetics, it's not terribly important. Meanwhile, for the rest of us : D~~~

It's just dawned on me that if we get a Sinnoh remake, it will mark the return of SEALS in combination with pokéball breeding mechanics.

Provided GF implement them sensibly, I can see the meta being scrapped and pokémon battles being decided on how stylish your team's entry is alone.

Puruzi

Banned
It's just dawned on me that if we get a Sinnoh remake, it will mark the return of SEALS in combination with pokéball breeding mechanics.

Provided GF implement them sensibly, I can see the meta being scrapped and pokémon battles being decided on how stylish your team's entry is alone.

Oh fuck

Menitta

Yooooo! I forgot about seals!

O god yes plz. Seals needed to stick around

Prediction for the majority of seals if they return:

"FUCK U"
"BITCH"

Yeah, I think they won't work online, if they even return at all. Especially with the swear filter in now.

Could the letter seals be seen online in Gen IV?

GoldStarz

Prediction for the majority of seals if they return:

"FUCK U"
"BITCH"

Yeah, I think they won't work online, if they even return at all. Especially with the swear filter in now.

Could the letter seals be seen online in Gen IV?

Easy fix: They don't put in text-based seals.

BowieZ

Banned
This is going to sound really left-field but, as a huge board game fan, I had this idea a few days ago to make a Pokemon board game (I know a few crappy ones already exist) with an island map consisting of about 50(?) spaces in a general circular shape with several alternate Routes, where you land on some spaces that are fields of grass, cave, etc., at which point you have to roll a dice to determine from which 'Type pile' to draw a wild Pokemon card (e.g. a green grassy space may have a little icon with a 1-2-3-4 for Grass Type and a 5-6 for Flying Type). (Wild Pokemon need to be battled, but have different catch rates based on how weak you make them and which type of Pokeball you use. You determine which move they use again with a dice roll.)

So the aim of the game is to go around the board (starting with a random starter, three basic pokeballs, and say 100 poke-dollars) (you can go in any direction as long as you don't backtrack on your turn) trying to formulate a team of 6 Pokemon (including your starter) ideally of various Types (by trying to amass enough Pokedollars and Pokeballs and passing enough Pokecentres to heal your Pokemon to achieve this feat), and once you have a team of 6, you can enter Victory Road and battle the island's Elite Trainer.

The rub is, along the way, if you go past another Trainer (at any point, even halfway during your turn) you engage in battle (unless both parties agree to a truce). (You may elect to avoid or deliberately encounter other players by choosing various alternate Routes.) (Battles with either wild Pokemon or other Trainers would be fairly basic... just select or roll the dice to determine the move used as necessary and the damage should be fairly simple to work out based on Types and considering Move Precedence.) (Different Pokemon of the same species would have stronger move power but lower move precedence, or vice versa -- or alternatively strong in both areas but less common in the piles.)

Players can trade Pokemon, Pokeballs, or Pokedollars, freely with each other, whenever they are on the same space (at any point during a turn) -- in fact, two players may wish to temporarily forge an alliance in order to hinder the player who is currently best positioned to succeed against the Elite Trainer.

Just wondering if anyone likes this idea and has any suggestions? The trickiest part would be representing all types and a variety of species, while ensuring balance and that it isn't too complicated or tricky to calculate damage for novices.
I know no-one cares but I just finished the rough outline of my Pokemon board game design. Now I've gotta fill in the Types on the rest of the spaces. And create a digital art version somehow!?

Top Bottom