• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I watched the Sun and Moon Animé where Ash took on the Totem Pokémon, it was okay though kinda boring as I was just watching Ash fight a wild Pokémon plus the battle just went by very quickly and was never treated as a grand event like Gym Battle were. I also felt that Ash's motivation in taking the Island Trial was weak.

It will be interesting how the show handles his battle against Hala, though I am just hoping that he will finally leave Mele Mele Island, though I feel that the animé did a bad job in showcasing as we only saw two areas.

I think seals are kinda outdated since the balls have the "seals" effect now

Not really no Pokéball have seal effect like flame seal, electric seal, heart seal, Flower seal, etc.

Plus Pokéball animation existed in gen 4 as well but yet Game Freak was fine in adding seal.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah but they weren't as "big" as the animations since Gen V, I thought. Like the only one with visible animation was the Quick Ball.

Menitta

The Team Skull (well Gen 7 but 90% Team Skull) photoshoot at Magfest. There were more Team Skull cosplayers than Overwatch at the con.

image.jpg

Also Team Skull grunts vs Snorlax

^Awesome. Team Skull is definitely one of my favorite evil teams thus far. They're just a lot of fun and don't even really attempt to take themselves seriously at all. Really great stuff.

BowieZ

Banned
Is it wrong that I can't unsee Bewear having a bit too much fun up there?

Why do I feel like I'm being ignored in this thread? lol

Is it wrong that I can't unsee Bewear having a bit too much fun up there?

Why do I feel like I'm being ignored in this thread? lol

hows your 40 gyms bro

I actually completely overlooked your previous post. The board game sounds like an awesome idea and I respect your passion to even start something like this. I'd legit want to have that to play with some of my friends. If I think of any ideas I'll let you know but I have nothing right now.

expect nothing less from my rival

I know no-one cares but I just finished the rough outline of my Pokemon board game design. Now I've gotta fill in the Types on the rest of the spaces. And create a digital art version somehow!?

Oop, somehow missed this.

One thing I'd make sure is that the spaces are more clear in the final graphic than the background. I've seen a few boardgames where a busy board has made them a lot more difficult to play than they needed to be :3

As for the general concept it's pretty interesting, though I'm slightly iffy on your moves being chosen by random dice roll but it could work, it's something I'd have to see in action to really decide :p

Cool that you're concocting a pokemon boardgame though; I've been dabbling with some ideas of my own regarding my own take on pokemon though mine is admittedly more a very different thing inspired by a streamlined idea of what I want from pokemon than maybe what it is :3

Wiseblade

NOT EVERYTHING NEEDS AN EVOLUTION

Having single stage only Pokémon is one of the things that adds to the organic feel of the series. It all starts feeling artificial and manufactured if everything had a three stage line.

Boss Doggie

Another Pokemon that needed an evolution.

Edit:

All fake Pokemon but I found this funny and surprisingly well done for being a fucking supersoaker evolutionary line lol.

The bottom image really shows things that fakemon makers really can't do compared to the official ones.

EDIT: and talk about a bit more tryhard in the corsola line lol

I don't hold the official designs on some kind of pedistal nowadays. A bunch of real designs are ugly tryhard, overly designed piles of meh. I've seen tons of fanarts that I think looks better than a lot of official stuff. They definitely aren't sacred in my eyes, not anymore anyway.

And I gotta give credit to that guy for making a cool concept out of sentient water guns. Come on, that's some creativity. Names aren't half bad either.

Boss Doggie

I don't hold the official designs on some kind of pedistal nowadays. A bunch of real designs are ugly tryhard, overly designed piles of meh. I've seen tons of fanarts that I think looks better than a lot of official stuff. They definitely aren't sacred in my eyes, not anymore anyway.

And I gotta give credit to that guy for making a cool concept out of sentient water guns. Come on, that's some creativity. Names aren't half bad either.

mostly because that's pretty much why I don't really give fakemons much, they lack subtlety and the motifs are always in your face, clever or not

I mean look at Remoraid, that's a gun, and even though people only cite the gun-cannon as a connection to Octillery, they forget remora have suckers like an octopus's tentacle.

Another example? fanmade alolan alakazam. "We turned him fighting because ironic/it's opposite guize!" Or "we want a pre evolution of Miltank/Tauros because patterns damn it!"
it needs a pre-evolution, but mostly for the sake of having a chance to gain a bred Tauros that didn't come from Ditto, not because of dumb patterns.

Hell even stuff the fanbase are angry about actually made sense if you pay attention. Ryperior has those "tacky orange things" on its body because that's the item you trade it with. Mega Aerodactyl looked like that because finally we see its Rock typing, and when you think about it, no more different than Rockruff/Lycanrock's rock edges.

And there's stuff like biology, ecology and anatomy study official designs tend to have. Look at the Toucannon line. You already got the woodpecker -> toucan line dealt with, but apparently people also complained about their feet. You get stuff like why people wonder about Flygon's typing. And remember the complaints on why Crabrawler or Turtonator aren't part Water types? Fakemon designers have a tendency not to think like that. They tend to go with "oh I design this clever monster and give it a clever name" complete with the generic three-tier stage but never beyond that.

The very reason people shit on official designs hilariously enough is sometimes the very reason they praise fan-made mons.

I judge them by how they look. Mostly. Subtlety or not. Sometimes subtltey is appreciated. Sometimes an in your face motif is appreciated. As long as it makes a good/cool looking design. Official designs definitely aren't all subtle with their themes. And I've seen a lot of fan stuff that isn't in your face and clever with it too.

I always feel like there's an inherent bias against fanmade stuff for anything (not just pokemon). I personally appreciate a lot of fanmade stuff and never related with the idea that fanmade stuff is never well done or tasteful. I cant even really fathom throwing the tryhard thing out there as if there aren't a ton of official designs that come off as such. "Tryhard" is part of the norm now for official designs in my eyes, which also makes my judgement a lot more lenient when it comes to evaluating my opinions on fanmon designs.

Wiseblade

A bunch of real designs are ugly tryhard, overly designed piles of meh.

Official designs definitely aren't all subtle with their themes. And I've seen a lot of fan stuff that isn't in your face and clever with it too.

I cant even really fathom throwing the tryhard thing out there as if there aren't a ton of official designs that come off as such. "Tryhard" is part of the norm now for official designs in my eyes, which also makes my judgement a lot more lenient when it comes to evaluating my opinions on fanmon designs.

OK

You need to name some examples now.

Boss Doggie

The thing is design isn't just about looks. Hell, nowadays design isn't just about the Sugimori art. Movement. How the design works with the setting. etc. It's my argument against people who insist Pokemon should just be through the eyes - not only does it stops the creative process and thinking, but it undermines the whole thing that goes with the design as well as the intent and technology.

You can't really be a "tryhard" officially when, well, you're an official material. Sure maybe when you're going for a message as there are games that do that, but Pokemon is far from a franchise that does that. It's a for-family (mostly for children) franchise. Nothing about it is tryhard. Fanworks however are from age groups that do tend to veer on that aspect. Hell you don't need to look too far.

The thing is design isn't just about looks. Hell, nowadays design isn't just about the Sugimori art. Movement. How the design works with the setting. etc. It's my argument against people who insist Pokemon should just be through the eyes - not only does it stops the creative process and thinking, but it undermines the whole thing that goes with the design as well as the intent and technology.

You can't really be a "tryhard" officially when, well, you're an official material. Sure maybe when you're going for a message as there are games that do that, but Pokemon is far from a franchise that does that. It's a for-family (mostly for children) franchise. Nothing about it is tryhard. Fanworks however are from age groups that do tend to veer on that aspect. Hell you don't need to look too far.

It's not all about looks to me either, all the other ancillary factors are appreciated. I just don't often think it's necasary to make a good, likable pokemon. And a really unappealing design will make me not care for a Pokemon much even with the context around its lore, motif, etc helping it.

No official designs can be tryhard? This is the kind of bias against anything fanmade im talking about. What does "tryhard" even mean? I just use it because everyone else uses it when it comes to this. I don't even really think it's a proper term to use like this. I just see it mainly as a design that comes off as overdesigned, forced, or inelegant in some kind of way to me, which tends to make them unappealing. So all subjective. But it also doesn't mean that I like every pokemon that doesn't come off that way either. I personally think gen 5 and 7 has a lot of "tryhard" designs.

Examples of what you consider tryhard, worse-than-fanart level Pokémon designs.

What does "worse than fanart level" even mean? As if all fanart is on the same level? I really can't get behind the idea that fanart is always tasteless and can never be good as official things. Sorry. I appreciate the thought, craft and creativity that goes into my more liked fanart designs I've come across.

Mr-Joker

Banned

I don't normally care for fakemon but I like this concept and I can see Game Freak doing something like this in the future just a bit more cleaned up so they look more like Pokémon and less like water guns and more natural looking, akin to Remoraid/Octillery, Lotad/Lombre/Ludicolo, etc.

Boss Doggie

It's not all about looks to me either, all the other ancillary factors are appreciated. I just don't often think it's necasary to make a good, likable pokemon. And a really unappealing design will make me not care for a Pokemon much even with the context around its lore, motif, etc helping it.

No official designs can be tryhard? This is the kind of bias against anything fanmade im talking about. What does "tryhard" even mean? I just use it because everyone else uses it when it comes to this. I don't even really think it's a proper term to use like this. I just see it mainly as a design that comes off as overdesigned, forced, or inelegant in some kind of way to me, which tends to make them unappealing. So all subjective. But it also doesn't mean that I like every pokemon that doesn't come off that way either. I personally think gen 5 and 7 has a lot of "tryhard" designs.
What does "worse than fanart level" even mean? As if all fanart is on the same level? I really can't get behind the idea that fanart is always tasteless and can never be good as official things. Sorry. I appreciate the thought, craft and creativity that goes into my more liked fanart designs I've come across.

You're the one who keeps bringing out tryhard though. You better cite examples.

You're the one who keeps bringing out tryhard though. You better cite examples.

Incorrect. You're the one who brought it up first.

Anyway, I already know you guys will disagree with my opinion on the matter, and that's fine. I don't feel the need to cite exactly which ones I think are, unless you're simply curious.

Boss Doggie

Incorrect. You're the one who brought it up first.

Anyway, I already know you guys will disagree with my opinion on the matter, and that's fine. I don't feel the need to cite exactly which ones I think are, unless you're simply curious.

I did, but I pointed it out to the corsola evo. You simply said "well there have been existing tryhard designs too!" repeatedly but never pointed out.

Anyway if you really wanna know - that one corsola evo relied on the fact that "mareanie ate so dark omg" forgetting that in the dex toxapex/mareanie doesn't really outright states that it kills them, as it sounds more like it was picking off some of its branches, and since it's based on rock corals, they never really lose limbs and even regrows them.

Basically a shallow interpretation of the line as with many fakemons. Hell, people still have it today with stuff like Incineroar.

Well we clearly have different standards when it comes to this, as we just discussed. So I just don't see the point in listing them to you so you can tell me why I'm wrong according to your standards. As I said, the actual end design generally holds much more weight to me than the other stuff when it comes to me finding a Pokemon likable.

I'll tell you how this will go. I give you a Pokemon. You tell me why it's cool thematically. I'll say cool, and say the end design still sucks so I don't really like him. And that will be that. Even with the cool thematic, I'm sure a better design could come out it. A Pokemon typically doesn't stand up for me on those details alone.

I honestly didn't even read that text until you brought it up. I was just looking at the design, which I happen to like. More the Solacor one, not much the other. Doesn't come off as a "try-hard" design to me in the slightest. It's pretty simple, and not over-complicated looking.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Anyway if you really wanna know - that one corsola evo relied on the fact that "mareanie ate so dark omg" forgetting that in the dex toxapex/mareanie doesn't really outright states that it kills them, as it sounds more like it was picking off some of its branches, and since it's based on rock corals, they never really lose limbs and even regrows them.

Toxapex Sun Pokédex entry;

Toxapex crawls along the ocean floor on its 12 legs. It leaves a trail of Corsola bits scattered in its wake.

I dunno it's pretty much implied that Toxapex prey on Corsola, the fact that they attack Corsola when summoned pretty much supports it.

Though the point is moot as Corsola doesn't evolve with Toxapex in the part and won't any time soon, assuming that Cross gen evolution return.

Boss Doggie

Toxapex Sun Pokédex entry;

I dunno it's pretty much implied that Toxapex prey on Corsola, the fact that they attack Corsola when summoned pretty much supports it.

Though the point is moot as Corsola doesn't evolve with Toxapex in the part and won't any time soon, assuming that Cross gen evolution return.

exactly, he took it for word, you don't exactly "kill" Corsola like that assuming Corsola functions like what it is based on (and they usually do). They do attack Corsola for food, but they can't outright kill them considering what they are.

Well we clearly have different standards when it comes to this, as we just discussed. So I just don't see the point in listing them to you so you can tell me why I'm wrong according to your standards. As I said, the actual end design generally holds much more weight to me than the other stuff when it comes to me finding a Pokemon likable.

I'll tell you how this will go. I give you a Pokemon. You tell me why it's cool thematically. I'll say cool, and say the end design still sucks so I don't really like him. And that will be that. Even with the cool thematic, I'm sure a better design could come out it. A Pokemon typically doesn't stand up for me on those details alone.

I honestly didn't even read that text until you brought it up. I was just looking at the design, which I happen to like. More the Solacor one, not much the other. Doesn't come off as a "try-hard" design to me in the slightest. It's pretty simple, and not over-complicated looking.

I get that, and I stated why the example you showed didn't work well with me. That's how discussions go. And the Solacor one really "triggers" me as much as some other Pokemon designs that rely on misunderstandings or fan theories.

Though honestly the reason why I hate most fan stuff is because they somehow forget it's fan stuff. Shit like Ditto is failed Mew clone among other things are ingrained as though they are true.

Sou Da

Also, Ash's Grand Trial was today. He got his Fightinium Z stolen by Tapu Koko.

Some good battle writing imo, Belly Dance + All Out Pummeling is just mean.

I get that, and I stated why the example you showed didn't work well with me. That's how discussions go. And the Solacor one really "triggers" me as much as some other Pokemon designs that rely on misunderstandings or fan theories.

Though honestly the reason why I hate most fan stuff is because they somehow forget it's fan stuff. Shit like Ditto is failed Mew clone among other things are ingrained as though they are true.

Yeah I know, but the most important part of this discussion was out of the way when we discussed what our standards were. So unless you're nothing more than curious to know what Pokemon I find bad, then there's not much of a point in in getting in a discussion about it. I stated in my previous post what the discussion will pretty much boil down to if I start listing Pokemon. You (and Wiseblade) were demanding it like I needed to do it to justify anything I was saying, and I really didn't after we distinguished our differences in standards.

I just like the fucking design man LOL

Edit: MY BOY DUNSPARCE, LOOKIN FLY LIKE NO ONE EVER HAS

Water/Steel type!

This is a quality concept.

Edit: MY BOY DUNSPARCE, LOOKIN FLY LIKE NO ONE EVER HAS
Why would a mythical flying snake turn into a wasp? This is typically why I don't like fake evolutions, they don't do any research on what it is they're actually changing.

Water/Steel type!
This is a quality concept.
This actually seems to be a redesign of one of the most ancient fake Pokemon out there, from April Fools 2002:
007.gif
mizuado.gif

Interestingly enough there was finally a shark Pokemon revealed soon after that, so I remember not being too disappointed.

WPS

On the corsola argument, didn't one of the Aether employees outright state that Toxapex were over hunting the corsola population?

It's just a good drawing. It emulates the look of a Pokemon extremely well. I enjoy it because of that. It's eye candy. Why would I care if it doesn't follow the theme if it's not going to be an official Pokemon, therefore, not going to contradict any official narrative? I just enjoy it for what it is. A hypothetical design that will never actually exist. I find it pretty weird to dismiss it as bad fanart based off of that but whatevs.

Top Bottom