• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

There is nothing anyone could say that would make me like Lillie.

That's fine.

aNr5noN.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
There is nothing anyone could say that would make me like Lillie.

Same.

I actually think she got worse the moment she got a look-change. At least she wasn't was so meek/timid that she didn't try to force herself back when she was in her old look.

Anyone here think Ho-oh is better then Lugia

I see discussions over which of the birds and dogs are the best, but never who's the best between Lugia and Ho-oh

I assume it's because the vast majority of people think Lugia is the best so people don't bother talking about it.

I see discussions over which of the birds and dogs are the best, but never who's the best between Lugia and Ho-oh

I assume it's because the vast majority of people think Lugia is the best so people don't bother talking about it.
I do. Not really sure why though.

Debirudog

I'll take a fucking Phoenix with a cooler lore than whatever Lugia is suppose to be.

Literally without the movie, Lugia wouldn't be anything special.

Ho-oh never got any type of decent exposure..Like at all that's why. Which is a shame

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Something I posted a bit ago in the Sun/Moon OT but people here might find interesting as well.

-----------------

So I just learned that three of Lillie's themes on the OST are originally Japanese wordplay based around the l/r vowel sounds:

"Lively Lillie" is "がんばリーリエ" or "Ganba-lillie", punning off the common term "ganbare" (to do your best) -- Hapu actually uses this verbatim in the Japanese version, apparently the same line that got translated as "No one could call you lily-livered" to keep a sort of pun intact.

"Steely Lillie" is "おこリーリエ" or "Oko-lillie", playing off "okoru", a verb meaning "to scold" or "to tell off".

"Lonely Lillie" is "しんみリーリ" or "Shinmi-lillie", derived from "shinmiri", an expression that doesn't have an exact definition but seems to refer to a solemn, but sad atmosphere.

The more you know.

Then the anime had her posing with a Lillipup and Lilligant in last week's episode---though of course that doesn't work with their Japanese names, but interesting nonetheless.

Macka

When I was younger I preferred Lugia, although that probably had a lot to do with the movie. These days though, I much prefer Ho-Oh. It has a fierce elegance to it.

I also don't think Lugia made the transition to 3D very well at all tbh. It just doesn't look right anymore.

249.png
249.png
249.png
249.gif
249.gif

Gengahrrr

I also don't think Lugia made the transition to 3D very well at all tbh. It just doesn't look right anymore.

It looks to me like they're still using it's model from Stadium 2, which is why it looks so wonky. I don't think they've been bothered to update any of the Johto Pokémon who weren't given a mega form or didn't appear in the Hoenn pokedex.

When I was younger I preferred Lugia, although that probably had a lot to do with the movie. These days though, I much prefer Ho-Oh. It has a fierce elegance to it.

249.png
249.png
249.png
249.gif
249.gif
The head and limbs got progressively smaller and further away from the torso, making it look wrong. Happened to Mewtwo around the time of Battle Revolution, too.

Here's Lugia's old model for reference:
mqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

WPS

I think it's just bad posing/animation, really. It's become a lot more upright, which doesn't really work, especially when flying in place, and its "hands" aren't rigid enough when flapping.

It looks better when grounded in PokéRefresh/Amie.

Kyzer

Banned

249.png
249.png
249.png
249.gif
249.gif

yikes.

Blastoise is another one.

009.gif
009.png
009.gif

Mr-Joker

Banned
I like Lugia over Ho-Oh because he looks cooler and I just found him to be more majestic and had an interesting lore in how he hides himself away because of how strong his power is.

Plus Lugia is the box mascot for 3 games whereas Ho-Oh is only has 2, so Lugia wins.

It's because Lugia suffers from the always airborne that Game Freak gave to all their flying Pokémon.

I don't care for either of the legendaries mentioned, but as far as Lugia goes; it could be worse...

latest

:p

Hey it's Boss Doggie new avatar.

And well, the "reality" of many of the sprites.

See: Typhlosion.

I used a Typhlosion in Pokémon Sun and quite honestly he looks so boring without his flame and the worst part is because they removed the national dex, I can't look at his attack animation and pause to see it in full detail.

Though I did love his pissed off face but he was no Charizard and I can't wait to replace him.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Gamefreak should have kept the flames on Typlosion's idle. He looks so bland without them.

The line really does, heck at time it felt like that he wasn't a fire type though perhaps Game Freak were going for that angle as the line can naturally learn burn up which gets rid of their fire typing.

spiritfox

The line really does, heck at time it felt like that he wasn't a fire type though perhaps Game Freak were going for that angle as the line can naturally learn burn up which gets rid of their fire typing.

They could redo the model to show the flames until burn up is used. That will be too much trouble for them to bother I guess.

Rutger

Banned
I've always liked that the Typhlosion line is subtle about its typing. All the other fire types tend to be warm colors or always on fire, while the Typhlosion line only shows fire when it attacks.

It plays with the player's expectations, and is my favorite starter for it.
Now just give it a mega that will make it useful competitively in Stars please, Game Freak.

Jessie really just told Charizard to use poison sting. Had Charizard like :O lol I was dyin

Edit: It knew how to use Dig and Iron Tail though, so Jessie's BSing payed off.

Boss Doggie

I used a Typhlosion in Pokémon Sun and quite honestly he looks so boring without his flame and the worst part is because they removed the national dex, I can't look at his attack animation and pause to see it in full detail.

Though I did love his pissed off face but he was no Charizard and I can't wait to replace him.

Wasn't there a Typhlosion in Island Scan or was it someone else?

Gamefreak should have kept the flames on Typlosion's idle. He looks so bland without them.

The problem is that they wrote themselves to a corner. They have specifically made it that Typhlosion only shows its flames when attacking.

The idea was that the flames were meant to be quills (it's why unlike other fire types, its flames are cartoonish jaggies) that pop out when it is attacked or is attacking. So sadly it has to keep it "hidden" until it attacks.

Sprites have the ability to "lie" and due to their limitations, have an excuse to put the Pokemon always in "action mode". It's why you see supposedly odd looks to a Pokemon when arguably that would have been the case with a consistent model.

brinstar

The problem is that they wrote themselves to a corner. They have specifically made it that Typhlosion only shows its flames when attacking.

The idea was that the flames were meant to be quills (it's why unlike other fire types, its flames are cartoonish jaggies) that pop out when it is attacked or is attacking. So sadly it has to keep it "hidden" until it attacks.

It's not like they haven't broken that rule before. Typhlosion is ignited while following the player in HG/SS iirc.

Boss Doggie

It's not like they haven't broken that rule before. Typhlosion is ignited while following the player in HG/SS iirc.

yeah but those were unrefined sprites that were barely animated anyway, the unused walking/running animation in SM is a much better, "truer to the source" thing

I mean if they had Komala in sprite form for following Pokemon back then it wouldn't be doing that rolling animation and instead be mysteriously following you

Mr-Joker

Banned
Wasn't there a Typhlosion in Island Scan or was it someone else?

Yeah you could get Cyndaquil via Island Scan, it's how I got mine though he really struggled to keep up with the team due to his moveset being so shallow but he did at least try his best.

The fight against Hapu was when I really wished that I had Charizard as his flying type would have helped greatly.

No, the latest battle Clembot had with the random challenger.
Magnemite got hit with Stun Spore.

The X and Y animé got a lot of things wrong like how Ash's Sliggoo evolved after using Rain dance when that doesn't work in the game.

They could had it that it started raining but no they made it that Sliggoo used rain dance and evolved into a Goodra.

Boss Doggie

God the Trading Pokemon thread made my head hurt. Please comfort me with cute Pokemon stuff.

No, the latest battle Clembot had with the random challenger.
Magnemite got hit with Stun Spore.

Oh I thought you meant paralysis being ignored. Eh chalk it up with paralysis being general. Which is weird because they've been accurate with stuff like leech seed not affecting grass types.

The X and Y animé got a lot of things wrong like how Ash's Sliggoo evolved after using Rain dance when that doesn't work in the game.

They could had it that it started raining but no they made it that Sliggoo used rain dance and evolved into a Goodra.

Honestly it should have been like that in the game. Because really, what's the diff between summoned rain and real rain?
Yeah, X/Y was going close to Kanto levels of ignoring game mechanics

Uh no. Just because it takes some liberties with the stuff like that doesn't mean it's Kanto levels of make shit up. Like I said, they managed to do stuff like leech seed not working on grass type.

Top Bottom