• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I remember reading that the stuff about Pokken being removed due to poor performance from Japanese arcades was apparently not the full story---from what I heard, the reason it was removed wasn't that people weren't playing it, it was because the game was too lenient and easy so the arcades weren't making money on it as people could play for extended periods of time on few credits. Don't know if this is true though, can anyone vouch for this?

Is anyone else tired of the team rocket intro scenes? I mean they were cool in season 1 but every freaking episode gets extremely repetitive. Maybe it's a kid thing.

At least they used to have different visuals each episode.

Starting with Black and White and in XY, except for a few times, they just re-use footage now. I hate it.

I remember reading that the stuff about Pokken being removed due to poor performance from Japanese arcades was apparently not the full story---from what I heard, the reason it was removed wasn't that people weren't playing it, it was because the game was too lenient and easy so the arcades weren't making money on it as people could play for extended periods of time on few credits. Don't know if this is true though, can anyone vouch for this?

well the first thing wrong is that news story was over blown, it only happend in one arcade and i'm pretty sure it was because it went into red on sales

Seil

At least they used to have different visuals each episode.

Starting with Black and White and in XY, except for a few times, they just re-use footage now. I hate it.

At least they've eased up a bit on Clemont's inventions gone wrong. Having that plus team rocket in almost every episode was beyond obnoxious. A lot of people give Iris flak in BW but Cilan was far worse to me -.- and Clemont's inventions remind me of his schtick, just more explode-y. The best episodes in the anime are the ones that break away from pulling the same stuff over and over again.

I don't really like the sidekicks that have these dull comedy routines every episode. I mean, yeah it goes all the way back to Brock but at least he'd just hit on someone then it'd be over usually. At least Clemont's focus episodes tend to be better than Cilan's were I guess.

Edit: Oh right, I guess we have Brock's hitting on everyone schtick too, just with Eureka doing it instead =p At least that's cute.
Edit2: I mean Bonnie... I was doing so well at remembering the English names, too. Granted I don't watch the anime dub, so Bonnie is a name I only know from people talking about it...

I thought it was only removed from one arcade

The story was about literally one arcade removing the game.

You also posted in that thread, not sure how you missed that...

Firestorm

I read on here a month or so back that Tembo didn't even hit 5000 sales on Steam. I'll see if I can find it.

Drill Dozer will be on the Wii U VC in NA soon. It's in Japan and Europe :)
How did the other games do? I had always assumed those games bombed too tbh. Can't seem to find any numbers on them outside of Wikipedia saying Drill Dozer had sequels planned that didn't happen due to poor sales (without a source).

Steam is fairly simple to find data on due to SteamSpy: https://steamspy.com/app/341870

So 12.5 - 18k sold and whatever it sold on XB1 and PSN.

JoeM86

How did the other games do? I had always assumed those games bombed too tbh. Can't seem to find any numbers on them outside of Wikipedia saying Drill Dozer had sequels planned that didn't happen due to poor sales (without a source).

Steam is fairly simple to find data on due to SteamSpy: https://steamspy.com/app/341870

So 12.5 - 18k sold and whatever it sold on XB1 and PSN.

Ah it increased over Christmas. Still, 18k isn't a good amount.

HarmoKnight was on the top of eShop charts often. Solitiba did well, but not well enough to keep support going beyond 2015.

Daemul

You guys forget Game Boy Camera :/

Also Pokemon whose Japanese name has RA in it

Yeah I know he has a needle's chance of getting in Pokken but I would cream hard if it was Tyrantrum.

1452306761699.png

50 staff members attempted to predict the Pokemon and their reactions were polled after knowing the result. Here are the results of that:

– My prediction is correct! I’m really happy! – 1
– My prediction missed, but I’m still glad – 13
– My prediction missed, I’m salty – 31
– I’m actually perplexed, so I can’t answer – 5

So the Pokemon was one which only one person guessed right and caused more than half of the staff to be salty. Only one Pokemon whose Japanese name has the letter ラ (ra) in it could cause that reaction.

G E N I E S
E
N
I
E
S

250px-645Landorus.png

MarkusRJR

I read on here a month or so back that Tembo didn't even hit 5000 sales on Steam. I'll see if I can find it.

Drill Dozer will be on the Wii U VC in NA soon. It's in Japan and Europe :)
That's so sad. I loved Tembo. It was strange for them not to release it on Wii U though. :(

And yay for getting Drill Dozer. I think I still have my old cartridge around, but it'll be nice to play on the big screen! Does anyone know if the Wii U VC versions have the rumble added to them?

While we're on the topic of sales numbers, does someone know if the Genesis game Pulseman was a bomba? I love that game but literally no one knows about it.

So a long time ago (pre-ORAS release) I said I would play every single Pokémon game. Then real life happened, and I couldn't find the time.

Thanks to Proper Time Management I can finally start Red. Wish me luck gang.

This isn't under any special rules, either, just playing normally.

Hegarol

So a long time ago (pre-ORAS release) I said I would play every single Pokémon game. Then real life happened, and I couldn't find the time.

Why don't you wait for the VC release in February? That way you can play on 3DS.

Chase17

Are you planning on the original red or the remake? You are in for a great game either way!

Mr-Joker

Banned

I am doing the same as well. I already did Red last year and I plan to do Crystal soon, just need to finish Mario and Luigi Paper Jam Bros before I move on.

Though I will be skipping Yellow and Ruby as I did them recently and I don't feel like playing them just yet, maybe I will play them sometime after finishing "Pokémon Z"

Chase17

I am doing the same as well. I already did Red last year and I plan to do Crystal soon, just need to finish Mario and Luigi Paper Jam Bros before I move on.

Though I will be skipping Yellow and Ruby as I did them recently and I don't feel like playing them just yet, maybe I will play them sometime after finishing "Pokémon Z"
How is Paper Jam by the way? I heard some mixed things last month but not much since. Still a couple weeks until it launches here.

I'm finally going to be making progress in Super Mystery Dungeon again starting today. Was enjoying it but exams/holidays put a real halt in my progress (that and I got hooked on the Witcher 3).

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Considering collecting the original 151 pokemon cards

anyone with any experience doing so, have any tips?

Finally got around to getting Super Mystery Dungeon and I'm having a blast.
I already knew about the Unown Z in the game that says "I must tell people about Z!" but I had no idea that when you connect to him it reveals he's connected to Unown X and Y.
giphy.gif

Also the music and art direction in this game are great and the writing is super cute!

Jay RaR

Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon is my first PMD game and I finished it a week ago. It's a great game with a story I wished a main series Pokemon game would have. It can be quite challenging and unforgiving at times and it really sucks you can't increase the text speed or skip the cutscenes.

It's okay. While it doesn't do anything new or take advantage of Paper Mario, I got some enjoyment out of it.

Yeesh...that kinda makes me not wanna get it then.

Why don't you wait for the VC release in February? That way you can play on 3DS.
Cause I already have it on GBC. I'm not double dipping for that.

Are you planning on the original red or the remake? You are in for a great game either way!
The idea is to do
- Red > Gold > Sapphire > Diamond > White > Y
- Yellow > Crystal > Emerald > Platinum > White 2 (> Z? who knows when this game's coming out)
- LeafGreen > SoulSilver > Omega Ruby

The game mechanics are gonna be all over the place but I'm not playing the same region twice in a row at least.

Theorymon

So corocoro leaks soon, right? I wonder what tiny morsel of info we'll get this time?

I bet it'll be more about Volcanion, maybe a bit about the movie...

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I used to like going to /vp/ around this time for scans to drop but it's gotten weird as fuck due to the drought.

Fucking "YAMERO!" cracks me up every time though.

JoeM86

Yep! Great time for some info on Gen 7 :D

We're really not getting Gen 7 this year.

Great time for Z/Whatever it's called info though

I used to like going to /vp/ around this time for scans to drop but it's gotten weird as fuck due to the drought.

Fucking "YAMERO!" cracks me up every time though.

People really seem to have never had a gap year before based on how people have reacted to this one.

Seems no matter what, you always have a group of people complaining about something. Yearly releases = boo. Non-yearly releases = boo.

Oh well, it'll mostly die down once we get (Z or Z equivalent). Well, not really since it'll just shift to "GIVE G7" right after, but hey :p

Mr-Joker

Banned
Personally, I'm still waiting for info on Pokemon Gray.

Yep, it will be releasing any moment soon. ;p

http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/movie...own_tower_entei_shudou_takeshi_departure.html

Wow. I seriously feel for this guy. In some ways, the final paragraph of this article ruins the whole movie for me. What a stupid decision on the script writer's part.

Mr. Shudou was 45 years old when his daughter was born. She was two or three years old when Mewtwo Strikes Back hit theaters. Will he be an old man when she turns into an adult? Will he even be alive then?

So I did the math, his daughter was 14 years old when he passed away. :(

She would be roughly 19-20 now, so he never got to see her grow into an adult.

I'm sure there will also be plenty of "Why isn't Z on NX???" like when BW2 came out.

Or why isn't gen 7 on the 3DS?

Still can't believe that people expected Game Freak to continue sticking with the DS.

Chase17

Seems no matter what, you always have a group of people complaining about something. Yearly releases = boo. Non-yearly releases = boo.

Oh well, it'll mostly die down once we get (Z or Z equivalent). Well, not really since it'll just shift to "GIVE G7" right after, but hey :p
Yeah it's pretty funny how that works out. Sometimes you can't win. I've got no problem with them having an off year. I'll still get hyped for any bit of info though.

Mr-Joker

Banned

I remember when Black and White got announced, I was like "Already?" as we just got the Johto remake in the west.

But eh I didn't care more Pokémon was always a good thing, plus I knew that it would be a while till it got localized.

JoeM86

I remember when Black and White got announced, I was like "Already?" as we just got the Johto remake in the west.

But eh I didn't care more Pokémon was always a good thing, plus I knew that it would be a while till it got localized.

To be fair, the localisation times are to blame for this gap year being more "brutal".

2015 was the first year since 1997 where there was no main series game released in the three major territories.

1996: Red/Green (Japan), Blue (Japan)
1997: Nothing
1998: Yellow (Japan), Red/Blue (US)
1999: Blue (Retail - Japan), Gold/Silver (Japan), Yellow (US), Red/Blue (EU)
2000: Crystal (Japan), Gold/Silver (US), Yellow (EU)
2001: Crystal (US), Gold/Silver (EU), Crystal (EU)
2002: Ruby & Sapphire (Japan)
2003: Ruby & Sapphire (US, EU)
2004: FireRed & LeafGreen (Japan, US, EU), Emerald (Japan)
2005: Emerald (US, EU)
2006: Diamond & Pearl (Japan)
2007: Diamond & Pearl (US, EU)
2008: Platinum (Japan)
2009: HeartGold & SoulSilver (Japan), Platinum (US, EU)
2010: Black & White (Japan), HeartGold & SoulSilver (US, EU)
2011: Black & White (US, EU)
2012: Black 2 & White 2 (Japan, US, EU)
2013: X & Y (Japan, US, EU)
2014: Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire (Japan, US, EU)
2015: Nothing

As such, even though the games had been out in Japan for ~6 months, the west had just got them so they were busy there.

This was all due to localisations gradually shrinking down to be nothing. If they were still ~4-6 months, we'd have had 2013 as our gap year in the west, and had XY in 2014 and ORAS in 2015 and this "long gruelling" gap between reveals wouldn't have felt anywhere near as bad.

Still though. We've had longer between release and reveal before

DP launch -> Platinum reveal = 20 months
BW launch -> B2W2 reveal = 17 months

We're currently approaching 14 months since ORAS. Plenty of time.

Mr-Joker

Banned
To be fair, the localisation times are to blame for this gap year being more "brutal".

2015 was the first year since 1997 where there was no main series game released in the three major territories.

1996: Red/Green (Japan), Blue (Japan)
1997: Nothing
1998: Yellow (Japan), Red/Blue (US)
1999: Blue (Retail - Japan), Gold/Silver (Japan), Yellow (US), Red/Blue (EU)
2000: Crystal (Japan), Gold/Silver (US), Yellow (EU)
2001: Crystal (US), Gold/Silver (EU), Crystal (EU)
2002: Ruby & Sapphire (Japan)
2003: Ruby & Sapphire (US, EU)
2004: FireRed & LeafGreen (Japan, US, EU), Emerald (Japan)
2005: Emerald (US, EU)
2006: Diamond & Pearl (Japan)
2007: Diamond & Pearl (US, EU)
2008: Platinum (Japan)
2009: HeartGold & SoulSilver (Japan), Platinum (US, EU)
2010: Black & White (Japan), HeartGold & SoulSilver (US, EU)
2011: Black & White (US, EU)
2012: Black 2 & White 2 (Japan, US, EU)
2013: X & Y (Japan, US, EU)
2014: Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire (Japan, US, EU)
2015: Nothing

As such, even though the games had been out in Japan for ~6 months, the west had just got them so they were busy there.

This was all due to localisations gradually shrinking down to be nothing. If they were still ~4-6 months, we'd have had 2013 as our gap year in the west, and had XY in 2014 and ORAS in 2015 and this "long gruelling" gap between reveals wouldn't have felt anywhere near as bad.

Still though. We've had longer between release and reveal before

DP launch -> Platinum reveal = 20 months
BW launch -> B2W2 reveal = 17 months

We're currently approaching 14 months since ORAS. Plenty of time.

Yeah the yearly releases is only true if you follow the Western release instead of the Japanese release date.

But as time went on the release date gap became shorter and shorter till it became worldwide or a week later if you live in Europe. ¬_¬;

But honestly I like it this way as we are in this together and find out new info at the same time.

Top Bottom