• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

JoeM86

I do think that a straightforward Z as we'd understand it from the past is getting less and less likely for every day it goes unannounced.

I dunno what we'd be getting instead, mind, but this schedule didn't make any sense to me if the plan is just to release a bog-standard third version.

Considering "Bond Evolution" (that's what I'm calling it right now...whatever Ash-Greninja is) is a thing, a simple Z is not likely.

Carl7

Pokemon 7( Seven is actually the name of the game) is coming for the NX. There will be no Pokemon Z or any further gen 6 game.

That is...................what I want T_T

We'll absolutely get one more game in Gen VI with Zygarde as the mascot, I just hope it's not a simple third version and is more like a sequel.

ash_ag

The field moves system really needs a revitalisation. There's no inherent need to tie these moves to actual moves used in battle (ie. HMs). At the same time, more puzzles / obstacles need to be structured around use them, because this is the world of Pokémon, and it makes sense to use your Pokémon to get through hardships. Untying field moves from battle moves would be one of the best things they can do to both improve / diversify the overworld, and fully liberate Trainers for sacrificing move slots for HMs.

That reminds me -- HMs would also not be a big problem if the Move Delete / Remind system became even more accessible. Kind of like how TMs are infinitely useable now, perhaps it would be better if it was possible to Delete / Remind moves at any Pokémon Center.

The field moves system really needs a revitalisation. There's no inherent need to tie these moves to actual moves used in battle (ie. HMs). At the same time, more puzzles / obstacles need to be structured around use them, because this is the world of Pokémon, and it makes sense to use your Pokémon to get through hardships. Untying field moves from battle moves would be one of the best things they can do to both improve / diversify the overworld, and fully liberate Trainers for sacrificing move slots for HMs.

That reminds me -- HMs would also not be a big problem if the Move Delete / Remind system became even more accessible. Kind of like how TMs are infinitely useable now, perhaps it would be better if it was possible to Delete / Remind moves at any Pokémon Center.

HM items man, it's time. Gen V was really when they shoulda ditched the idea of HM moves.

ash_ag

HM items man, it's time. Gen V was really when they shoulda ditched the idea of HM moves.

Like a surf board or an axe? I never understood how this could be considered an acceptable design choice in a game where you train critters that can do all sorts of things and are supposed to help humans in every day life. :p

Ranger did it best with its Field Moves. It just makes sense!
47tNJCx.png

It would actually be fun to expand the system and introduce overworld elements similar to Ranger's. Each species could have certain special abilities that would be useable regardless of their moveset. For instance, a Scyther would be able to cut a tree, and a Pidgeotto would be able to clear away fog in a special area regardless of whether they know Cut and Defog or not. Each field move would be activated after receiving the respective "HM" (to retain obstacles for as long as they are needed in the story), but you wouldn't have to replace a move to teach it to your 'mons.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Fingers crossed for new games set in Kanto then

Note: the above is ridiculous and not indicative of insider knowledge

I pray to Arceus that they don't set the game in Kanto or go heavy with the gen 1 pandering for the 20th anniversary.

It's the series anniversary so it should be a celebration of the series as a whole and not just gen 1.

Sweet.

*Sends lewd naked pictures of myself to them*

Like a surf board or an axe? I never understood how this could be considered an acceptable design choice in a game where you train critters that can do all sorts of things and are supposed to help humans in every day life. :p

Ranger did it best with its Field Moves. It just makes sense!

It would actually be fun to expand the system and introduce overworld elements similar to Ranger's. Each species could have certain special abilities that would be useable regardless of their moveset. For instance, a Scyther would be able to cut a tree, and a Pidgeotto would be able to clear away fog in a special area regardless of whether they know Cut and Defog or not. Each field move would be activated after receiving the respective "HM" (to retain obstacles for as long as they are needed in the story), but you wouldn't have to replace a move to teach it to your 'mons.

While I like ranger method, HM exist as a mean to block off players progression as you need the HM and the badge. So they can't do that with Pokémon otherwise they will have to gate those Pokémon away and no-one likes being told what Pokémon they can and can't use.

The best option would be like you suggested is to have the move deleter and reminder to be in every Pokémon center going forward, which honestly makes so much sense.

While I like ranger method, HM exist as a mean to block off players progression as you need the HM and the badge. So they can't do that with Pokémon otherwise they will have to gate those Pokémon away and no-one likes being told what Pokémon they can and can't use.

The best option would be like you suggested is to have the move deleter and reminder to be in every Pokémon center going forward, which honestly makes so much sense.
Or go back to no or very little progress blocking (only thing Gen 1 still has over every other gen) and add dynamic levelling and story events.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Gen 1 has progress blocking, but they're not HMs. Instead they're shit like a thirsty guard.

HM nowadays don't make sense since you could replace any move and TMs are unlimited.

Gen 1 has progress blocking, but they're not HMs. Instead they're shit like a thirsty guard.

HM nowadays don't make sense since you could replace any move and TMs are unlimited.

I never said it didn't. I did said it had little though. If I remember rightly the thirsty guards could be cleared with only one badge.

Seil

You don't at all need the existing HM system to pull it off, the badges are enough. "You're not allowed to use X HM outside of battle without the Y badge", as it is right now, is no different than "You're not allowed to fly on Pokemon without the X badge" with flying being an inherent ability. I don't see it happening, but still.

backlot

I never said it didn't. I did said it had little though. If I remember rightly the thirsty guards could be cleared with only one badge.

You'd need Brock's badge to leave Pewter and Misty's badge to be able to use Cut so you can get to Celadon but you can skip Surge I guess.

Billyman

Neo Member
Considering "Bond Evolution" (that's what I'm calling it right now...whatever Ash-Greninja is) is a thing, a simple Z is not likely.
You think bond evolution will be in the games too? Was under the impression ash-greninja was just an anime thing.

You think bond evolution will be in the games too? Was under the impression ash-greninja was just an anime thing.

It's already in Pokémon Picross too.

I still think it's going to work like a Mega Evolution and adapt itself to look like your ingame trainer, but that's just me.

Kyzer

Banned
I was gonna say the same exact thing, they should introduce field moves / overworld moves. Soar, Ride, Surf, Cut, Strength...add in flamethrower to light things, water gun, thundershock, vine whip to grab items and there's a whole new puzzle element and another way to make the world feel alive. The "gate" can be something as simple as a FM (field move) that teaches the move. Access to catchable Pokemon that can use it is the same is it already is with HMs anyways. Even requiring bma gym badge to use it in the overworld can be the same

Has anyone seen that picture of Charizard like he's crammed up in a pokeball without showing the pokeball? Someone here had it as avatar but I can't find it for the life of me.

Edit: Wait, found it
shUCRxN.png

JoeM86

Ash-Greninja may just be an anime thing (barring side games), but I think the concept behind it is sound and may carry over to the games. They wouldn't make a major concept like this and have it be anime only, considering the anime exists as an advertising vehicle for the games

Busaiku

Ash-Greninja may just be an anime thing (barring side games), but I think the concept behind it is sound and may carry over to the games. They wouldn't make a major concept like this and have it be anime only, considering the anime exists as an advertising vehicle for the games
What about Orange Islands and Decolor.

ash_ag

Seems the next Pokénchi will have something Masuda-related. Not sure if Masuda himself is appearing or if they'll have Game Freak's New Year card delivered by the guests or something. Card in question is the one GF posted on their Facebook page:
6wig56R.png

Speaking of which, if there was any doubt Game Freak is undergoing a major expansion following the increased frequency of non-Pokémon releases and the acquisition of Koa Games (whose games are now somewhat integrated in the website and are starting to be published by GF), Game Freak has announced new job posts -- mostly management-related. Curious to see what they are planning.

CoroCoro is also approaching. Don't think it'll have much, but they may elaborate on Volcanion and its distribution method. Some exposition on RGBY may also be present (if not now, then in the next issue) considering the VC release is approaching and younger fans may not be very familiar with the old games. Would be fun to get more new or updated artwork of old characters and elements.

Boss Doggie

Those were just filler to drag out the anime until the next generation. Pokemon isn't going to want to lose its TV time slot.

Is there even "filler" in Pokemon? Because trying to impose the game "plot" to the anime is stupid because the anime follows its own stories and merely uses the game as some framework.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Is there even "filler" in Pokemon? Because trying to impose the game "plot" to the anime is stupid because the anime follows its own stories and merely uses the game as some framework.

Many people consider any episode that's not a gym battle to be filler. It's bizarre.

people call stuff filler when I guess nothing 'important' happens in an episode

character/pokemon of the week, no new captures, no badges, contests, nothing related to the game's plot, no new moves, blah, blah, blah

I get their point, I guess, but Pokemon's been running on the air straight for like a decade now. They are in no danger of being cancelled due to low ratings and if they are burning time on something random like a race or whatever, let them do it.

plus in x/y, some of the best episodes were the ones where nothing plot important happens

Man God

Non-Canon Member

character/pokemon of the week, no new captures, no badges, contests, nothing related to the game's plot, no new moves, blah, blah, blah

I get their point, I guess, but Pokemon's been running on the air straight for like a decade now. They are in no danger of being cancelled due to low ratings and if they are burning time on something random like a race or whatever, let them do it.

plus in x/y, some of the best episodes were the ones where nothing plot important happens

A decade straight eh?

Call it what you want but regardless if it's good or not, it only exists to further extend the anime until the next series. The main objective, as in the regional League, is finished. Battle Frontier could also be in this category since Diamond/Pearl were originally supposed to be released in 2005 but that still was material from the games so I guess most people find that more interesting. Did anything really even happen in that Decolore part of BW aside from Gen VI advertising?

Johto and Sinnoh had no extra saga but if I remember correctly, the pacing was all over the place, with really inconsistent gaps between gyms.

On another note, Kalos will likely have an extra saga as well since I can't see this Zygarde plot along with the last gym lasting 2 years.

Chase17

Welp, vacation is over and it's back to school/anticipating Pokemon Z info. Can't wait to see who is revealed for Pokken next week.

Boss Doggie

Many people consider any episode that's not a gym battle to be filler. It's bizarre.

Yeah, it's weird especially when shit like character building and such are found in certain episodes.

which is weird, because showing off a pokemon shouldn't be considered a filler on its own because of the purpose of the show

Call it what you want but regardless if it's good or not, it only exists to further extend the anime until the next series. The main objective, as in the regional League, is finished. Battle Frontier could also be in this category since Diamond/Pearl were originally supposed to be released in 2005 but that still was material from the games so I guess most people find that more interesting. Did anything really even happen in that Decolore part of BW aside from Gen VI advertising?

Johto and Sinnoh had no extra saga but if I remember correctly, the pacing was all over the place, with really inconsistent gaps between gyms.

On another note, Kalos will likely have an extra saga as well since I can't see this Zygarde plot along with the last gym lasting 2 years.

Well yes they pad, but that doesn't mean they're filler.

A filler solely means nothing happens. But something did happen in Orange Islands. It gave Ash a league he won, he obtained some Pokemon, one becoming his mainstay powerhouse, etc.

To simply call something a filler because it pads is ignorant because it trivializes a lot of progress and interaction.

Nightbird

Speaking of which, if there was any doubt Game Freak is undergoing a major expansion following the increased frequency of non-Pokémon releases and the acquisition of Koa Games (whose games are now somewhat integrated in the website and are starting to be published by GF), Game Freak has announced new job posts -- mostly management-related. Curious to see what they are planning.

CoroCoro is also approaching. Don't think it'll have much, but they may elaborate on Volcanion and its distribution method. Some exposition on RGBY may also be present (if not now, then in the next issue) considering the VC release is approaching and younger fans may not be very familiar with the old games. Would be fun to get more new or updated artwork of old characters and elements.

This is exciting.

Game Freak has been the Pokémon-only studio for long enough.
I wanna see what else they can do, and Harmoknight as well as Tambo were a good start.

I'm hoping for more great things in the future!

JoeM86

What about Orange Islands and Decolor.

That's completely different. That is not a valid comparison. Those are locations. This is a Pokémon form.
This is exciting.

Game Freak has been the Pokémon-only studio for long enough.
I wanna see what else they can do, and Harmoknight as well as Tambo were a good start.

I'm hoping for more great things in the future!

They haven't been a Pokémon only studio for the entire decade thus far. HarmoKnight, Solitiba, Tembo. They always have other projects on the go, especially now they have absorbed Koa.

Nightbird

They haven't been a Pokémon only studio for the entire decade thus far. HarmoKnight, Solitiba, Tembo. They always have other projects on the go, especially now they have absorbed Koa.

I meant that we might get larger non-pokemon games from them in the future :$

Is anyone else tired of the team rocket intro scenes? I mean they were cool in season 1 but every freaking episode gets extremely repetitive. Maybe it's a kid thing.

JoeM86

That's sure, but maybe a new retail game? Hahaha

Well they did Drill Dozer in 2005...I just hope that the failure of Tembo has taught them that they should stick with Nintendo. HarmoKnight did well. Solitiba did well (though mobile is over now, services shut down). Drill Dozer did solid numbers. Tembo bombed hard.

ash_ag

That's sure, but maybe a new retail game? Hahaha

I imported Drill Dozer a couple years ago, and it's incredible. The game is rather short, but the ideas it introduces hold a lot of promise that a sequel could presume upon. Not to mention
it ends with a cliffhanger. :p

Game Freak used to be a very innovative studio, and I maintain that Satoshi Tajiri incorporated a very rare breed of genius. Most of Game Freak's early games can barely fit traditional genres, because they always had some sort of quirk you wouldn't find elsewhere. Take Quinty for example -- such a simple Action game, but very innovative for its time. And then you have Bushi Seiryuden, which is sort of an Action-adventure / Tactical-RPG hybrid that remains one-of-a-kind to this day. Mario & Wario is sort of like a predecessor to the Mario vs DK series, and then you have simpler, but still solid platformers like Pulseman and Jerry Boy.

Sometime I really wonder what happened to Tajiri. He was one of the most promising new directors of the Miyamoto school-of-design. Masuda is doing good work with Pokémon, but he's no innovator the way Tajiri was.

Boss Doggie

You guys forget Game Boy Camera :/

Also Pokemon whose Japanese name has RA in it

Yeah I know he has a needle's chance of getting in Pokken but I would cream hard if it was Tyrantrum.

Firestorm

Well they did Drill Dozer in 2005...I just hope that the failure of Tembo has taught them that they should stick with Nintendo. HarmoKnight did well. Solitiba did well (though mobile is over now, services shut down). Drill Dozer did solid numbers. Tembo bombed hard.
Do you have a link to that? I was wondering how Tembo did. I was gonna grab it on sale on PSN but I should probably have grabbed it on the Steam sale instead. Need to add it to my Wishlist so I don't forget next time.

I eventually got HarmoKnight when it was free on Club Nintendo and regret passing on Drill Dozer at $10 back in the day...

JoeM86

Do you have a link to that? I was wondering how Tembo did. I was gonna grab it on sale on PSN but I should probably have grabbed it on the Steam sale instead. Need to add it to my Wishlist so I don't forget next time.

I eventually got HarmoKnight when it was free on Club Nintendo and regret passing on Drill Dozer at $10 back in the day...

I read on here a month or so back that Tembo didn't even hit 5000 sales on Steam. I'll see if I can find it.

Drill Dozer will be on the Wii U VC in NA soon. It's in Japan and Europe :)

Top Bottom